• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT2| Welcome to New L+A a.k.a. Read the Frakkin' Manual!

without spoilers:

Am I getting locked out of affinity quests by progressing the regular story?

Or normal quest for that matter?

I will happily ignore all basic quests.

The only missables that I know of are the heart to hearts for
___Lao___
, which do not count for your completion.

You have until you begin chapter 9.

A resounding yes. For me and for many, many people this game is actually a disappointing sequel to the original in virtually every way

When people write about "many, many people" behind them, they are usually the only one. Or they feel their opinion is insignificant without a fictional mass of other people who shares them.

On a date with my waifu

f5qMabY.jpg

q9mB1SF.jpg

Thank you!

While I don't hate the game, I more or less agree. Xenoblade is one of the best video games I've ever played and is my personal top 5 of all-time. Xenoblade X may not even make my top 5 for this year. Hell even exploration was done better in Xenoblade. It may not have as many big or lush areas but there was actual meat to the areas. You discovered secret bosses, hidden tribes and villages, hidden quests, etc. Xenoblade X just has scenic views and randomized locations.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I don't hate X at all, and I'm enjoying it quite a lot. Being worse than perhaps the best JRPG in decades is no shame at all. I'm just sad to see it take so many steps back in so many areas.

When people write about "many, many people" behind them, they are usually the only one. Or they feel their opinion is insignificant without a fictional mass of other people who shares them.

While you're right in that assessment in general terms, in this particular case it would mean I'm prescient, because I had read about that general consensus months before I even played the game and could form an opinion for myself. This was actually fortunate as it allowed me to temper my excitement and expectations, and enjoy the game for what it is.

Golnei

Despite acknowledging all the ways in which X is a step back over the original, I can't help but prefer it overall, at least for now. The huge, well-designed world, progression of alien species into the slowly growing NLA, web of varied side stories and large cast created something more engaging than the first, even if the actual concept of the Bionis and Mechonis, more focused story and better fleshed-out character dynamics were superior to X's equivalents. I burnt out on it a lot quicker, and wouldn't have been able to get through it at all if I didn't play it mostly in hour-long chunks. Even if it was on a more linear path with a significantly more present story, I felt directionless and uninterested a lot more often compared to X.

They're still both fantastic games, but at the moment I'm kind of leaning towards X's direction. I'm interested to see how they'll reconcile them in the third iteration.

On a date with my waifu

So you managed to give her the sports bra after all. Though I can't judge you that much, I did something similar - though that was with one of the Orphean helmets and the Six Stars greaves.

Neifirst

I'm between chapters 9 and 10 and have a full set of Level 50 skells for my 4 party members. Should I be able to take down bounties for tyrants in the level 65-80 range? I haven't done any modifications to the skells because I'm honestly not sure where to even begin, but I've only been able to take the tyrants down to maybe 40-50% health before dying.

Gambit

Blade Quests are still accessible while doing a story mission. Affinity Missions are completely locked out however. Be sure that you've done what you want to do before doing a story or even affinity mission.

There are missable heart-to-hearts, but no quests are missable.

The only missables that I know of are the heart to hearts for
___Lao___
, which do not count for your completion.

You have until you begin chapter 9.

thank you all.

Heart to hearts are not that important to me, but I will try to get them as well.

Also thanks for the explanation about story missions locking you out of affinity ones temporarily.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Thanks.

One more question.

I heard that when fighting
Vita
I should do so without the Skell because when I face the
super secret final boss
I need all the Skell fuel I can get. Is that true?

About that... You can sort of get around it with it
Overclock
. At least long enough to deal some quick heavy damage.

Dyle

I finished Chapter 5 yesterday and I can't believe how much the game is still opening up almost 30 hours in. So many new quests are opening up, the story is just starting to get going, I'm just getting to grips with the mining and battle mechanics... Now to jump back in and work towards getting a skell and opening up the game even more!

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Western Volkampf tracker: 237,118 as of December 30th, 2015 - 13:20 GMT

correojon

I finished Chapter 5 yesterday and I can't believe how much the game is still opening up almost 30 hours in. So many new quests are opening up, the story is just starting to get going, I'm just getting to grips with the mining and battle mechanics... Now to jump back in and work towards getting a skell and opening up the game even more!

You haven´t seen anything yet...I´m 120+ hours in and still discovering things everyday, though I´m taking it slowly (only 40% of Cauldros explored yet).

Griss

Oh, don't get me wrong, I don't hate X at all, and I'm enjoying it quite a lot. Being worse than perhaps the best JRPG in decades is no shame at all. I'm just sad to see it take so many steps back in so many areas.

While you're right in that assessment in general terms, in this particular case it would mean I'm prescient, because I had read about that general consensus months before I even played the game and could form an opinion for myself. This was actually fortunate as it allowed me to temper my excitement and expectations, and enjoy the game for what it is.

Totally agree, especially with the bolded. The initial, slightly negative reaction to the game in the import OT ended up being entirely accurate to me. All their complaints as well as all the praise, it was all on point.

Had I not been aware of the game's many issues I think I'd really be struggling to enjoy it as much as I am. And as much as I am enjoying it, it doesn't come close to the original.

Soooo now that I'm level 60... how the hell do I beat level 70 monsters and above?

Tactic! For skell, you could make the lv 60 Amdusias and Verus, swap Verus armor (agi) to Amdusias. Give it G-Buster, and you'll get one hell of tank specialized in binding those monsters.
It help me a lot when I need to wreck some havoc without using Ares 90.

marrec

Banned
I did it guys "The Repair Job" is done sweet jesus thank you.

I got a lot of those smaller missions done in the meantime. Still love the game no matter how much it hurt me.

Huge newbie to this series/game and I've got a question.

I didn't realize I could select a class after the initial one, so I've selected the Striker I believe it was because I wanted to be the Samurai Gunner. I noticed that after Samurai Gunner there's the Duelist, so is it best practice to become the Duelist as it's an evolution of the Samurai class? Or is it kind of like you select one or the other?

P.S. Installed all the Data Packs and dear god it's light years better :)

Huge newbie to this series/game and I've got a question.

I didn't realize I could select a class after the initial one, so I've selected the Striker I believe it was because I wanted to be the Samurai Gunner. I noticed that after Samurai Gunner there's the Duelist, so is it best practice to become the Duelist as it's an evolution of the Samurai class? Or is it kind of like you select one or the other?

P.S. Installed all the Data Packs and dear god it's light years better :)

yes... stick to 1 path until you mastered that branch, only then you switch to level different classes

vareon

80 hours in. By this time I have finished Xenoblade Chronicles, but right now I don't want XCX to finish. I still have three chapters to go and I haven't even fully explored Cauldros. I just want to walk around, help people, kill things, and hope it goes on forever.

So, my two cents 80 hours in: I really disagree with people saying the huge world is pointless and empty. The huge empty world IS the point. It's not big for the sake of big, but it needs to be big enough so that it feels we're exploring a planet. While basecamps are unfortunately useless (seriously why can't we even fast travel there?), meeting a basecamp in the dangerous wilderness was a relief--heck even meeting a random player BLADE was a relief.

Some people complained the seemingly trollish monster placements: random camouflaging Tyrant 20 level higher on a linear mandatory quest, monsters 3 times your level joining a random battle, etc. But that's it--Mira is dangerous. We're so used to open world RPGs soft-gating their world by placing monsters appropriate to player level, but that's rarely the case here. They will mob you if you're not careful, and they will join your harmless battle if you don't pay attention to your surrounding.

To compensate, we're given an unlimited run with insane speed and jump height/distance, and a very generous ground collision detection. Hostiles 20 levels above you in the way? Scale the tiny ledges on a wall if you can. Outrun them if you have to, even if it means having your party members dying. And if you fail, even dying have very little punishment.

Some missions will feel weird--defeat a level 19 enemy in a base surrounded by level 40+ enemies, for instance--but they all are surprisingly doable by the time you unlocked the mission.

I'm one of the people who prefer this kind of story to Xenoblade, too (not saying Xenoblade is bad). Doing random jobs helping people on Mira feels more natural than on Xenoblade, because it is structured that way. Xenoblade's linear story and sense of urgency feels weird to me--like Shulk is in the enemy base, war has started, yet he returned to Colony 9 to collect beetles or some shit. Not everyone feels like this obviously but it's one of the thing that made me feel more home-y in XCX.

Which is weird because I thought I would prefer the original Xenoblade because it has "more story". I am very wrong about that.

tl;dr: Mira feels like a theme park with lots of attractions and it's up to us to decide whether we're ready to brave them or not. Game has flaws but I can easily say it's my personal GOTY.

Nia

So I see spots where Heart to Hearts are on the map, but when I go to the location at the designated time they aren't there. Is there something I should be looking for?

Golnei

So I see spots where Heart to Hearts are on the map, but when I go to the location at the designated time they aren't there. Is there something I should be looking for?

Make sure there aren't any additional conditions, like a certain kind of assigned pet. Other than that, I'm not sure - if it's displayed on the map, you've viewed all the previous ones, and you have the required affinity level, it should be there.

Just finished chapter 4, can't wait to get a skell soon! I'm still acclimating to the game's systems; much more complex than anything I've played in awhile. There are still a few things I'm having trouble with, in particular.

I went down the enforcer route, am now a blast fencer. Is it normal for the main character to still feel weak? When do you get out of this? Is there some "must have" item or crafting mat that would make a big difference?

I don't 100% understand soul voices. I get it that other party members can call for an art and I supply it, but what about my soul voices? Does the game give you a soul challenge when one of your conditions is met and a character happens to use an art?

How do you know if you've already discovered a scenic lookout in a segment?

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
finally maxed all classes...

sniper rifle/knife is finally happening

the promised plan

make sure that character isn't currently in your party too

Found out that I could lock the weather!
- When encountered with a specific weather save the game.
- Exit the game via setting >> exit then load the game.
- Now the weather's locked, even when you're fast traveling in the same region/continent.
- To unlock, just go outside the region.

It help when you need to farm tyrants/monsters which only appear in specific weather condition.

Weebos

Banned
Started Chapter 9

These Wrothians aren't fucking around.
I need to grind or just cheese them with the "lower difficulty" prompt.

How close am I to the end of the game?

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
tl;dr: Mira feels like a theme park with lots of attractions and it's up to us to decide whether we're ready to brave them or not. Game has flaws but I can easily say it's my personal GOTY.

This is a good summary. The story of XCX is the planet Mira, itself. Very different from XBC in terms of delivery. I really thought that XCX would be so incredible it would make XBC obsolete. I'm kind of happy that isn't true.

Also: I got the flight mod today.

HOLY SHIT. You can fly over the walls of NLA into Mira without loading or a "wall" preventing you. Shit. I didn't expect that. You can go ANYWHEREREEREREEER!!!!

This game is nuts. I know this isn't the best way to play the game: but you should really do everything possible to reach Lv 32 / Chapter 9 ASAP to get that flight mod. It's worth it and makes exploring Mira, aka the best part of the game, much more efficient and enjoyable.

Steejee

So, my two cents 80 hours in: I really disagree with people saying the huge world is pointless and empty. The huge empty world IS the point. It's not big for the sake of big, but it needs to be big enough so that it feels we're exploring a planet. While basecamps are unfortunately useless (seriously why can't we even fast travel there?), meeting a basecamp in the dangerous wilderness was a relief--heck even meeting a random player BLADE was a relief.

Some people complained the seemingly trollish monster placements: random camouflaging Tyrant 20 level higher on a linear mandatory quest, monsters 3 times your level joining a random battle, etc. But that's it--Mira is dangerous. We're so used to open world RPGs soft-gating their world by placing monsters appropriate to player level, but that's rarely the case here. They will mob you if you're not careful, and they will join your harmless battle if you don't pay attention to your surrounding.

To compensate, we're given an unlimited run with insane speed and jump height/distance, and a very generous ground collision detection. Hostiles 20 levels above you in the way? Scale the tiny ledges on a wall if you can. Outrun them if you have to, even if it means having your party members dying. And if you fail, even dying have very little punishment.

Some missions will feel weird--defeat a level 19 enemy in a base surrounded by level 40+ enemies, for instance--but they all are surprisingly doable by the time you unlocked the mission.

I'm one of the people who prefer this kind of story to Xenoblade, too (not saying Xenoblade is bad). Doing random jobs helping people on Mira feels more natural than on Xenoblade, because it is structured that way. Xenoblade's linear story and sense of urgency feels weird to me--like Shulk is in the enemy base, war has started, yet he returned to Colony 9 to collect beetles or some shit. Not everyone feels like this obviously but it's one of the thing that made me feel more home-y in XCX.

Which is weird because I thought I would prefer the original Xenoblade because it has "more story". I am very wrong about that.

I agree with basically everything here. I *love* the big bads mixed in with the weaker stuff, makes the planet feel dangerous, makes it feel like you have to be crazy powerful to ever let your guard down, makes New LA and those little BLADE camps feel like the Resident Evil safe rooms. The squads of tougher enemies you need to avoid for a quest involving lower ones can feel a little stranger, but I still like them. It's almost like a stealth mission without breaking the gameplay model of the game.

The world feels anything but empty to me. It feels like a vibrant, active planet with a real (well, real-ish) ecosystem with a movement model that makes me want to just keep exploring.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Started Chapter 9

These Wrothians aren't fucking around.
I need to grind or just cheese them with the "lower difficulty" prompt.

How close am I to the end of the game?

I finished that yesterday, I lowered the difficult.

Don't bang your head against the wall in this chapter. Your Skell flight mod is right around the corner after Chapter 9. Do whatever it takes to get there, you'll be glad you wasted no time in getting the flight mod!!

... people around here are saying you need to be around Lv.50 (the minimum requirement is only like 42, I think.DON'T do that) for the final chapter 12.

Weebos

Banned
I finished that yesterday, I lowered the difficult.

Don't bang your head against the wall in this chapter. Your Skell flight mod is right around the corner after Chapter 9. Do whatever it takes to get there, you'll be glad you wasted no time in getting the flight mod!!

Yeah, that is my thought process. I just want to get flight ASAP.

Razzorn34

HOLY SHIT. You can fly over the walls of NLA into Mira without loading or a "wall" preventing you. Shit. I didn't expect that. You can go ANYWHEREREEREREEER!!!!

Yeah. They could have easily gated NLA behind a loading screen, but they didn't. Sure, there is some texture pop in, but I can look past that for the seamlessness of the world.

correojon

80 hours in. By this time I have finished Xenoblade Chronicles, but right now I don't want XCX to finish. I still have three chapters to go and I haven't even fully explored Cauldros. I just want to walk around, help people, kill things, and hope it goes on forever.

Exactly my feelings, I feel like the mix of low and high level monster keeps the world dangerous and interesting even 100 hours after.

This is a good summary. The story of XCX is the planet Mira, itself. Very different from XBC in terms of delivery. I really thought that XCX would be so incredible it would make XBC obsolete. I'm kind of happy that isn't true.

Also: I got the flight mod today.

This game is nuts. I know this isn't the best way to play the game: but you should really do everything possible to reach Lv 32 / Chapter 9 ASAP to get that flight mod. It's worth it and makes exploring Mira, aka the best part of the game, much more efficient and enjoyable.

Flying from the highest peak in Primordia to the Blade Tower was totally awesome!! I couldn´t believe the game wasn´t stopping me in any way :D

I disagree with rushing to the flight module though, I found it really rewarding to finally be able to reach some places I couldn´t before, but if I hadn´t explored as much those moments would have never existed, it would just be "another mountain" or "another waterfall". Even now I still prefer to venture on foot on unexplored territory, it´s more adventurous and then later revisit those locations with the Skell.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I agree, without the joy of exploring on foot, to exploring in a skell, to finally flying - the thrill of flying wouldn't be there.

I'm at the 50 hour mark. I think it's about the right time to start flying. It feels like I just started a brand new game. I want to explore every place I've ever been to all over again!

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Yeah. They could have easily gated NLA behind a loading screen, but they didn't. Sure, there is some texture pop in, but I can look past that for the seamlessness of the world.

Oh it's amazing. Logically you would think each continent is gated to a loading screen like XBC was on Wii.

But it surely is open world. It's not until you get flight that you truly realize this.

Steejee

I disagree with rushing to the flight module though, I found it really rewarding to finally be able to reach some places I couldn´t before, but if I hadn´t explored as much those moments would have never existed, it would just be "another mountain" or "another waterfall". Even now I still prefer to venture on foot on unexplored territory, it´s more adventurous and then later revisit those locations with the Skell.

I'm probably going to be in that boat. I've explored the crap out of Primordia and only have two survey points I haven't gotten that I clearly need the flight module for (not for lack of trying though) and still do a lot of things on foot. Though part of the reason I do a lot on foot still is I've had a few bad run ins with enemies that aggro you when you're in a Skell but not on foot, and lost my (starter) Skell twice as a result, and missed Perfect both times on the recovery. Just going from on foot to Skell was a huge transition in what was available and the 'feel' of the world, so I can't imagine how much something like Flight will do.

At times the game feels like early WoW where you'd spend hours just hopping around the map trying to get to places that seem like they're supposed to be off limits to you.

Golnei

I feel the same way - exploring on foot for a significant portion of the game is necessary for the flight module to mean anything. It'd still be fun without prior context, but it'd just be a smallish sandbox rather than anything as well-characterised as a world you're made to experience from multiple perspectives and with very different capabilities.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
What hour mark was everyone when they got flight ?

I hit it exactly at 51 hours this morning. Pretty good survey rate in the first three continents. 40% in each.

Zafir

I feel like some areas are okay for it, having high level monsters. If there's enough space to go round them, or there's other paths to avoid them etc, then it's fine. The problem is there's quite a lot of places where you have to just try and stealth, despite it not being a stealth game or suicide run through, and neither of those options are fun. Then you also have the pop in issue where a high level creep will just pop into existence and wreck you which doesn't really help matters.

I feel Primordia is probably the best area in that regard, there's a lot of places with high level monsters, but I wasn't really annoyed while exploring. Where Noctilum just feels tedious to explore in comparison, it's overall much narrower in design too so it's hard to just avoid creatures. Not to mention you're forced to explore it quite early since a side quest pushes you to find an item which only drops on the otherside of the area.

Oblivia is mostly okay apart from that silly chapter where you're
destroying turrets
where it decides to shove high level pugilists in the way on a narrow path, which you can't really avoid.

The last two areas I didn't really explore till I had Skells, and honestly I'd say exploring becomes a whole lot more fun when you get them. You can still get one shotted, but it's no where near as easy.

Steejee

you can walk in and out of NLA without loading, why are you surprised :p

To be fair, often times 'seamless' games will use entryways as buffer zones for the streaming of content. NLA is well set up to do something similar - you can't see much over the walls anywhere, so if they had wanted to they could have restricted what loaded inside and outside of NLA pretty severely and used the doors to the city as triggers to stream in the appropriate content. Monolith Soft opted to simply treat NLA as just another part of the main landscape, which speaks volumes to their streaming tech in XCX.

NLA is so well set up for it in fact that I could believe that Monolith Soft had designed NLA in the way they did with that very technical design in mind but didn't need that restriction in the end.

black_clavus

Neo Member
I refuse to doing last chapyer, before 80% survey for cauldros (you know why)

And somebody pls teach me to be broken, this
blood despair
killing me ;_;

jgwhiteus

I refuse to doing last chapyer, before 80% survey for cauldros (you know why)

And somebody pls teach me to be broken, this
blood despair
killing me ;_;

The Cauldros requirement is only 65%; the 80% figure floating around online (which came from the strategy guide) is incorrect. Several people have been able to do that sidequest with a 65% survey rate.

Top Bottom