• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT2| Welcome to New L+A a.k.a. Read the Frakkin' Manual!

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Okay finally back from travelling, sunk another hour into it tonight. Still not super grabbing me but I'm also like...three hours in, I think I just need to hook onto the story a bit

It doesn't really open up until after chapter 3 or 4, if you get to chapter 5 and still don't like it then it's not for you. Just be sure to do normal missions because they are amazing.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
It doesn't really open up until after chapter 3 or 4, if you get to chapter 5 and still don't like it then it's not for you. Just be sure to do normal missions because they are amazing.

Even tempering my expectations from Xenoblade Chronicles Mira still isn't quite grabbing me, or at least Primordia hasn't yet. I think I need to find the gameplay loop that will keep me coming back

Okay finally back from travelling, sunk another hour into it tonight. Still not super grabbing me but I'm also like...three hours in, I think I just need to hook onto the story a bit

The game's story is a bit different from Xenoblade Chronicles.

A lot of lore is in the Normal Quests and Affinity Quests. I almost consider the Affinity Quests to be part of the main story as well, in the sense that you need to see a bunch to fill out the whole package. If you stick to just the main story missions and ignore anything else then I don't think you're going to enjoy it as much.

This is one of those games where I think you get more out of it by taking your time and doing various side stuff as opposed to just sticking with the main story the whole time.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Even tempering my expectations from Xenoblade Chronicles Mira still isn't quite grabbing me, or at least Primordia hasn't yet. I think I need to find the gameplay loop that will keep me coming back

That doesn't really happen until the game opens up and you gain access to the normal and affinity quests. The normal quests are especially good, they're far better than they would be in any other game. I keep getting lost in that normal quest hole instead of finishing the final story chapter of the game, they're so good.

Just keep in mind that the story is structured more like a TV show than a movie.

The Technomancer

The game's story is a bit different from Xenoblade Chronicles.

A lot of lore is in the Normal Quests and Affinity Quests. I almost consider the Affinity Quests to be part of the main story as well, in the sense that you need to see a bunch to fill out the whole package. If you stick to just the main story missions and ignore anything else then I don't think you're going to enjoy it as much.

This is one of those games where I think you get more out of it by taking your time and doing various side stuff as opposed to just sticking with the main story the whole time.

Yeah the sidequests I got so far are universally "go grab 5 of this thing" is all, I need to get some interesting ones

ewww Mia ewww TMI
WVW69iuhSRgEXloJHW

I think you misunderstood--78300 is my max capacity. It's visible in the very first image I posted. And yeah, I'm already at the point where I'll have to cut down my revenue if I want to hold more Miranium, and vice versa. I'm hoping those extra Boosters coming my way will help out with that, though.

oh okay thanks

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Yeah the sidequests I got so far are universally "go grab 5 of this thing" is all, I need to get some interesting ones

Those are the basic quests, you should only accept those when they're completed. Like check the board and if you've already finished it just grab it for the reward. The normal and affinity quests are where the meat is.

The Technomancer

Those are the basic quests, you should only accept those when they're completed. Like check the board and if you've already finished it just grab it for the reward. The normal and affinity quests are where the meat is.

...what should I do if I loaded up on them? Do I have a max number of quests I can have at a time?

(not that I've unlocked normal or affinity quests yet)

jgwhiteus

ewww Mia ewww TMI

That's not even the most uncomfortable TMI part of that scene; she just kept on going on and on about being "probed" to the point where I thought, "I hope they're not drawing this out for the benefit of the fetishists among us... who am I kidding, of course they are" :p

lol That Lana quest. I shoulda gotten that
stuffed toy
as a reward for the bullshit I had to put up with.

Finally managed to get the items for it. The Golden Puffs drops were a lot more reasonable and got all 6 within a few minutes (maybe time of day has something to do with it? In Cauldros I cant fucking tell if its ever night or day) though the Malevolent Silk thingy took a lot longer to acquire.

Now I'm up to 51.1%! I did like 6-7 Cauldros missions already but none of them added survey rate until this one. Smiles and Cries how did you get to 80%?

I killed a few Tyrants but none of them added to my survey either. Do I have to find a yellow bubble that talks about that Tyrant first then kill it?

If you're picking up quests from the quest board in NLA, they'll generally be those types of "gathering and hunting" quests. The real quests are the social quests (they'll be denoted as such on the aforementioned quest board), the normal quests (can be accepted from people with red questions marks above their heads), and affinity quests (can be accepted at those orange diamond icons).

Xenoblade Chronicles X is way more about the journey than the destination. Don't think of quests as something you have to do just to advance to the next story chapter. There was a point where I was rushing to complete the story, and I just kept getting annoyed that there was always something that seemed to block me. Either I had to explore 30% of one area or complete this affinity quest first before I could do what I really wanted. The amount of dialogue was overwhelming when talking to all of the citizens of NLA that I barely read them. However, once I slowed down and started exploring the world and really trying to understand the people in it, I started to enjoy the game a lot more. Basically, I stopped looking at quests as a hindrance and started to enjoy the little stories they tell.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
...what should I do if I loaded up on them? Do I have a max number of quests I can have at a time?

(not that I've unlocked normal or affinity quests yet)

Just abandon them and grab them again when you've got all the collectables. The only basic quests you should be keeping around are those where you need to kill certain mobs/tyrants. There will also be basic quests that lead you to normal/affinity quests, they'll basically tell you to go talk to someone in New LA. You should always grab those and do them as they'll open up other quests. Also, if you see a quest asking you to find natural pearls grab it since it'll open up an affinity quest and another character to drag along.

For affinity quests be sure to save first, since you can't abandon them once you accept them.

jgwhiteus

Now I'm up to 51.1%! I did like 6-7 Cauldros missions already but none of them added survey rate until this one. Smiles and Cries how did you get to 80%?

I killed a few Tyrants but none of them added to my survey either. Do I have to find a yellow bubble that talks about that Tyrant first then kill it?

There are multiple tyrants within each segment grid, so it's possible to kill the "wrong" one. Having the segment info is helpful because it tells you which specific one you need to kill to clear the segment, but it's not required - so you can clear them without hearing the info.

I got to 80% with a combination of quests, treasure / field actions, and a couple of tyrant kills (though I definitely had to look up their locations online to figure out where they were within the grid, because some of them are in non-obvious places).

That's not even the most uncomfortable TMI part of that scene; she just kept on going on and on about being "probed" to the point where I thought, "I hope they're not drawing this out for the benefit of the fetishists among us... who am I kidding, of course they are" :p

TMI Mia is best Mia but eh... wut

WVW69iuhZ1cgmaz1d6

There are three kinds of quests in Xenoblade X.

Basic Quests - These are quite literally filler quests. The only point to doing these is if you want to get some BLADE points/already have the items required for Gathering quests/want to look for a random Tyrant to kill. Sometimes you will get a Basic Quest categorized as "Social" which will lead you to someone with a Normal Quest. The easy way to filter this is check the Mission Board, press Y to bring up the filter and select Social quests, this way you can easily find any Basic Quests that will lead to a Normal Quest.

Normal Quests - You get these from people around NLA. This quest type contains the more interesting quests, especially the ones that involve decision making that affect the outcome of the quest (and the fates of NPCs involved depending on the specific quest in question).

Affinity Quests - These are special quests that become available when you reach enough affinity with a particular party member. These quests are fully voiced acted and usually delve into specific characters pasts or what's going on with them in NLA right now. These ones are my personal favourite.

Main Story/Mission - Progresses the main story to the next chapter. These are pretty self-explanatory.

EDIT: And yeah, SAVE BEFORE DOING AN AFFINITY QUEST, DO NOT SAVE DURING since you can't abandon them once you start, they have to be finished in order to do any other Affinity Quests or Main Story chapters.

Just finished the final chapter, I didn't have much patience after
the last form drained the fuel from all my skells. I ended up just lowering the difficulty and it still felt somewhat earned.

The game throws some reveals at you in the end, and it felt rushed as hell. What's up with Mira? I got that it seems to be interfering with a lot of stuff like Professor B's time machine, alien languages, and now even with the Lifehold Core itself, but is there any more info in the post-game content? Also what's up with Tatsu referencing Frontier Village, saying humans are Homs and the existence of the Sword of Legendaryness, it seems to imply the story is connected to the first Xenoblade in some way.

Am I the only one who used the Fashion Gear to keep all party members in their default outfits?

Felt weird to have them in anything other than those for some reason. Probably because upon seeing promotional trailers and art, I had associated their default outfits with them in such a way that it felt wrong to change that, like it wouldn't look right in cutscenes to have them in anything else.

For the player avatar I didn't feel this restriction though, probably because they are essentially a blank slate.

Am I the only one who used the Fashion Gear to keep all party members in their default outfits?

Felt weird to have them in anything other than those for some reason. Probably because upon seeing promotional trailers and art, I had associated their default outfits with them in such a way that it felt wrong to change that, like it wouldn't look right in cutscenes to have them in anything else.

For the player avatar I didn't feel this restriction though, probably because they are essentially a blank slate.

I didn't do exactly as you, but after I discovered the Fashion Gear feature, I kept all the characters with almost the same one throughout the whole game, I changed them once or twice I think. Primary gear was killing all my cutscenes. :p

jgwhiteus

I actually did that too - whenever I got a new character, first thing I did was change their default outfit into their fashion gear, then equipped new gear on them. Part of it was because I like to keep "one of a kind" equipment, and I was pretty sure I'd never be able to get their unique gear back if I accidentally sold it (also I didn't want it cluttering my inventory). And yeah, part of it was wanting to see them in their "canon" gear in cutscenes.

Only part I had problems with were their head gear, since they didn't have defaults - I usually tried to have something unobtrusive like a cheap Scouter or Goggles so it didn't look too out of place with the rest of their equipment.

I didn't either. Though I use a blue version of Elma's shirt instead of a red one.

I also gave Elma a headset and Lin some glasses as well.
Nagi is a must in shades and a suit tho.

Regiruler

To be honest I can hardly be bothered to change their actual gear at times. It's easier to just solo encounters when need be.

There are multiple tyrants within each segment grid, so it's possible to kill the "wrong" one. Having the segment info is helpful because it tells you which specific one you need to kill to clear the segment, but it's not required - so you can clear them without hearing the info.

I got to 80% with a combination of quests, treasure / field actions, and a couple of tyrant kills (though I definitely had to look up their locations online to figure out where they were within the grid, because some of them are in non-obvious places).

Ah ok. So am I wasting my time doing the Cauldros gathering quests from the Mission board?

Regiruler

The frame designs are kind of lame. Does frame development give you increased variety or are they just upgrades of the base models? I can't tell because I don't have any schematics.

What the hell is everyone farming for anyway. The stupid bunny outfit?

Malus

Duuuuuude I just climbed through a whole mountain range to get data probe site 512 in Cauldros, skipping around an entire base camp full of lv 50-60+ enemies. The whole time thinking, "Can I climb that? Oh shit. Well no way I can climb that. Oh shit I'm making it. I fucking love this game. What a way to finish frontier nav.

Thought I planted all the data probes but I found one left that I missed...yes I coulda made it easily with a skell but screw that :p.

So, running around trading Miralife cards. I traded a cinicula card for a food coupon, anyone know who'll take it?

I think I took a different trade path for that quest, never got a coupon.

Chastten

Banned
So, running around trading Miralife cards. I traded a cinicula card for a food coupon, anyone know who'll take it?

Just did this quest last night - I just followed this guide and had it done in 3 minutes -->

https://www.reddit.com/r/Xenoblade_Chronicles/comments/3wcxov/trade_agreement/

Liviana (Human) in Commercial District located to the right of Sarah's Market and BW Salon

Pirapira (Nopon) in Commercial District located by dumpsters north west of Liviana

Capsica (Manon) in Manon Ship on the south side upper deck

Wilbur (Human) in Residential District in Ishmael Hills, next to swimming pool

Ton'barac (Orphean) in Residential District in tennis court

jgwhiteus

Ah ok. So am I wasting my time doing the Cauldros gathering quests from the Mission board?

Yeah, Gathering Quests don't do anything - it has to be a specific normal / affinity quest that relates to the map segment (it varies a bit - sometimes the quests are given in the segment, sometimes they're from NLA but randomly conclude there and end up clearing the segment).

Most straight-forward way to raise the survey rate is to install all probes, then open all treasures you can (like tyrants, there can be multiple treasures in each segment and you have to open a specific one, but you have a treasure sensor on the mini-map so it's not too bad), then go tyrant hunting in the area, and you should keep an eye out for any question-mark normal mission markers, and accept "Social" normal missions at the NLA quest board.

Is longsword + gatling gun a viable combo? I basically want the best combo to see big ass damage numbers on screen lol

I've seen people go with Longsword / Dual Guns because Dual Guns has (I think) Arts for quick TP-building and for raising critical rates... personally I just stayed with Assault Rifle because I liked two of its Arts, and the other six were Longsword. Though really anything paired with Longsword will get you big damage numbers, so long as you get (party member spoiler)
Nagi's unique arts from his recruitment and affinity quest, True Stream Edge and Blossom Dance. True Stream Edge is one of the most OP Arts in the game - massive AoE damage with no TP cost, and if you get Skills that reduce cooldowns and build TP into Overdrive you can spam it pretty regularly.

Completing basic missions does not have an effect on survey rates.

Yeah, Gathering Quests don't do anything - it has to be a specific normal / affinity quest that relates to the map segment (it varies a bit - sometimes the quests are given in the segment, sometimes they're from NLA but randomly conclude there and end up clearing the segment).

Most straight-forward way to raise the survey rate is to install all probes, then open all treasures you can (like tyrants, there can be multiple treasures in each segment and you have to open a specific one, but you have a treasure sensor on the mini-map so it's not too bad), then go tyrant hunting in the area, and you should keep an eye out for any question-mark normal mission markers, and accept "Social" normal missions at the NLA quest board.

Ah damn, that was a waste of a few hours then. Though I did get cat ears out of one of the missions so I cant complain too much.

At 54.98%! Ahhhh about 10% more left. I can do this. I can do this.

I'm just gonna look for ? marks everywhere and accept everything. Hopefully some of them will resolve in Cauldros.

Affinity Quest Hope Springs Eternal

>Suggest: Say that the world must be made safe before thinking about bringing children into it.

>Lecture: Say that bringing children into a world like this is selfish and wrong.

Where's the "asking if robotic proxies can conceive is a stupid fucking question" option? Because that's what I want to say.

Have Cauldros at 61%, there's still quite a few quests on the map, but I've done every quest I can find for now, are most of Cauldros' post game?

Nobody's equipment is unique (apart from Celica and L); so you could just buy something identical.

well does it say "Elma's" gear?

I am not sure which part I sold but they should not allow us to sell those defaults if we cannot get them again

I saw that one of the AMs does a line that looks exactly like what Elma has in different colors which is cool

FML I'm traveling all weekend and can't play this amazing game :(

Luckily I can at least talk about it - so hey are Photon Sabers any good in the endgame? Loving mine right now but don't want to invest my BP if it ends up being weak. Thanks!

I still can't get over how disappointing this game is after I beat it. Compared to Chronicles this had worse exploration, worse design, worse character, worse music, worse story. Only the combat was better and even that had some serious downfalls.

Top Bottom