• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT2| Welcome to New L+A a.k.a. Read the Frakkin' Manual!

Not that I know of.

I feel like there is so much of this game that goes unused like they ran out of time

so much of Cauldros feels like this with those
teleport spots
I am sure some missions or side quests can use them but all those paths feel wasted if you are using a Skell

maybe they just did not want to offend people by having stuff go down inside the Church they do have a smaller place like the water treatment place you can go inside so not sure why they kept those doors closed

ugoo18

How i desperately wish i could disable the Skell flight music, i'd absolutely love to fly around Noctilum at day time with that theme playing. Exploring the Great Nail for the first time and the the surrounding areas on foot at day time with the Noctilum theme playing is possibly my gaming moment of 2015. So good!!!

FML I'm traveling all weekend and can't play this amazing game :(

Luckily I can at least talk about it - so hey are Photon Sabers any good in the endgame? Loving mine right now but don't want to invest my BP if it ends up being weak. Thanks!

I was thinking of taking my Wii U with me and at least do some useless grind on the gamepad not side quests stuff where I have to read text lol

That's the Norak line - the weakest variant of it is identical to Elma's default gear.

got it thanks

Lunar15

so at about 20 hours in the game really had its hooks in me, but now sitting at 40 hours, I've lost most interest. Only a few more missions to go, I guess.

This game's really weird. It just keeps getting less interesting. The skell really ruined a lot of the game for me. It's cool when you get it, but then it's another whole set of armor and weapons to juggle, it makes the world feel smaller and less significant, and it just doesn't control well quite frankly.

zroid

Banned
Went to Cauldros for the first time just to take care of Hope's mission, thinking it'd just be in and out... ended up surveying like 18% ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Generally it goes from up to down and left to right. The numbered ones are always probe sites.

So like (for example):

Code:
110   112    115

111   113

Thanks.

But is there any website that can give more information about completing missions? A more detailed map?

I've been reading parts of the manual but there's just a lot in the game it's getting overwhelming .. I can barely give an hour or so a day for the game. Don't wana spend it reading about it ! lol

I actually did that too - whenever I got a new character, first thing I did was change their default outfit into their fashion gear, then equipped new gear on them. Part of it was because I like to keep "one of a kind" equipment, and I was pretty sure I'd never be able to get their unique gear back if I accidentally sold it (also I didn't want it cluttering my inventory). And yeah, part of it was wanting to see them in their "canon" gear in cutscenes.

Only part I had problems with were their head gear, since they didn't have defaults - I usually tried to have something unobtrusive like a cheap Scouter or Goggles so it didn't look too out of place with the rest of their equipment.

I didn't either. Though I use a blue version of Elma's shirt instead of a red one.

I also gave Elma a headset and Lin some glasses as well.
Nagi is a must in shades and a suit tho.

To be honest I can hardly be bothered to change their actual gear at times. It's easier to just solo encounters when need be.

Glad to see I'm not the only one who does this. I would have liked this Fashion Gear feature in Chronicles for the Wii as well. I expect this will hopefully be a standard feature in their games from now on.

Renewed

Definian Downfall quest:
What happens if you kill/spare Fortun?

Option 2:
The quest continues on with messing with her personality matrix or w/e to get her to spill the beans. You wrap things up and the next quest involves Fortun going missing.

Mistle

How i desperately wish i could disable the Skell flight music, i'd absolutely love to fly around Noctilum at day time with that theme playing. Exploring the Great Nail for the first time and the the surrounding areas on foot at day time with the Noctilum theme playing is possibly my gaming moment of 2015. So good!!!
Same. I can tolerate the cheesy music elsewhere but in flight it's a total mood killer.

KingBroly

Banned
So...I'm trying to do the Affinity Quests for Chapter 11

The first one
was just awful. A fucking cat? Seriously? Tranq the damn cat. On better thought? Shoot the guy, cuz he's an idiot. And fuck the cutscenes in this are long as hell.

The second one
I can't even do because the guy I needed for the first quest I haven't used before doing that one. What the hell. I barely have L to a half a heart, how am I supposed to get this chucklefuck to a full heart?

Golnei

I don't retain the default for anyone except Elma, but I do usually find a single outfit I like and stick with it for the entirety of the game - I really don't like some of the default outfits. The armour they gave Lao in particular is awful; it's a shame
fashion gear no longer applies to him from Chapter 9-12.

Mistle

So...I'm trying to do the Affinity Quests for Chapter 11

The first one
was just awful. A fucking cat? Seriously? Tranq the damn cat. On better thought? Shoot the guy, cuz he's an idiot. And fuck the cutscenes in this are long as hell.

The second one
I can't even do because the guy I needed for the first quest I haven't used before doing that one. What the hell. I barely have L to a half a heart, how am I supposed to get this chucklefuck to a full heart?
I just rotated party members throughout the game when doing normal missions between chapters. Never had a problem with affinity requirements.

Golnei

Same. I can tolerate the cheesy music elsewhere but in flight it's a total mood killer.

The music itself isn't great, (I'm not fond of Aimee Blackschleger at the best of times, and those lyrics are abhorrent) but the way it cuts in every time you jump to ensure you never hear more than 20 seconds of the ground or air themes is a terrible design decision; it'd get grating regardless of how good the music is.

random25

Phog and Frye are wild opposites.
And I just learned that watermelon is a vegetable. My childhood was a lie all along.

Celica my bae!

3Cew834.jpg

I have to go to sleep 4am here

but the addiction makes me want to turn my Wii U on just one last time to check global rankings

what time do they update rankings anyway?

K I'm at 95 hours and 65% overall completion and I think it's time for me to do the last story mission.

Was going to recruit Mia first but Cauldros is at 61% and I can't find anything else I can manage there at this stage so she can wait until post game.

finalflame

Played a few more hours the last couple of days. Finally got my Skell license and honestly don't think the quest comprised of 8 sub-quests was too bad. They were all pretty easy to complete, and a couple I had already done.

Anyhow, I kind of hate how the motorcycle-Skell handles, and that it's the default for sprint. I wish there was an option to just make the Skell run faster instead. It's super janky in vehicle mode.

Also, I was really happy to find the
nopon
high roads and
nopon
bridges, but didn't find a
nopon village.
Can anyone answer if there is one in the game? That was one of my favorite parts of XC and it would be a bummer if there's no proper one in this game :/

Oh boy, I'm starting to run low on Bonjelium. Time to bring all 6 sites that drop it online. RIP battle probes.

Speaking of materials the spreadsheet lists the wrong quantities for Custom.WP-SPEED XX. It is 12 of each of the 3 materials (Quality Fuse, Spathi Glyph, White Yggralith Nut) and the 16 Bonjelium. I just hope this agni gatling spamming turns out to be worth it (apparently you can get the cooldown down to such an extent that you have to animation cancel the end of it by massing B...don't try that during overdrive though :p)

So is it worth putting all 4 duplicator probes in Noctilum for the storage as shown here?

5102.png
With two duplicators and boosters you can get over 100,000 storage (sadly the G2 are critical here for going over 100k, more storage might help without though) so I'd say four duplicators is not worth it. I used three G2 boosters and am currently sitting on 120600 sotrage (my storage is a 5 combo, 3 combo, rest individual). Yes you can view it that the boosters are being sacrificed but I'd prefer that to the duplicators.

I saw that one of the AMs does a line that looks exactly like what Elma has in different colors which is cool
That would be GG light armour. The enemy drop only infinite version* is a a sort of gold colour.

*-Only location I've found with enemies that drop this (the are not many infinite drops in general due to the enemy level required) are the level 64/67 Conjurer Cervus found inside the foot-only Bestial Utopia in north Caludros.

Also, I was really happy to find the
nopon
high roads and
nopon
bridges, but didn't find a
nopon village.
Can anyone answer if there is one in the game? That was one of my favorite parts of XC and it would be a bummer if there's no proper one in this game :/

There is a small Nopon caravan on every continent other than Primordia.

NLA is the only proper town.

finalflame

nopons are still very charming in this game with the crazy shit they get into
and teases of
the first game

spend time with muimui and moimoi before you quit

Thanks!

Despite my knee-jerk reaction I'll probably still finish the game, as I'm already 40 hours in. However, I really can't believe NLA is the only proper town. Despite the improved/expanded systems, I'm not sure how anyone in their right mind can compare this game favorably to the original XC. It's just quite honestly feels like something completely different knowing that NLA is basically the only real settlement.

Holy shit this
Definian Downfall
quest is freaking epic. I had no idea.

I was just doing it but halfway through the cave the enemies jump from 53 to 58 and I couldn't continue ;_;

Thanks!

Despite my knee-jerk reaction I'll probably still finish the game, as I'm already 40 hours in. However, I really can't believe NLA is the only proper town. Despite the improved/expanded systems, I'm not sure how anyone in this right mind can compare this game favorably to the original XC. It's just quite honestly feels like something completely different knowing that NLA is basically the only real settlement.

Well yeah, it is really different. It's its own thing.

finalflame

Well yeah, it is really different. It's its own thing.

One could might be led to believe otherwise considering it shares 100% of the original's name, "Xenoblade Chronicles X".

I'm still enjoying the game for what it is, but man does the dumbed down story feel like even more of an afterthought now. It's like they just put NLA in as a hub so you can go explore a mostly barren Mira, with no real story-driven locations.

I suppose it's jarring because the story and locations were such a strong aspect of XC.

Thanks!

Despite my knee-jerk reaction I'll probably still finish the game, as I'm already 40 hours in. However, I really can't believe NLA is the only proper town. Despite the improved/expanded systems, I'm not sure how anyone in this right mind can compare this game favorably to the original XC. It's just quite honestly feels like something completely different knowing that NLA is basically the only real settlement.

those prones took over all of Mira and the only ones they really fear are humans so NLA's theme as the last refuge plays out well

the way each xeno group makes themselves at home there is pretty cool

If they gave the nopons a city I would want all the xeno groups to also have a town
I really wanted that to be honest

finding the caravans around the world still worked for me but I do wish everyone had a proper city not just a world full of prone bases

finalflame

those prones took over all of Mira and the only ones they really fear are humans so NLA's theme as the last refuge plays out well

the way each xeno group makes themselves at home there is pretty cool

If they gave the nopons a city I would want all the xeno groups to also have a town
I really wanted that to be honest

finding the caravans around the world still worked for me but I do wish everyone had a proper city not just a world full of prone bases

I guess that narrative "fits" and is convenient, but kind of feels like a cop-out. Not to mention the prone bases are super boring and feel thoughtlessly copy-pasted in a way to be annoying to traverse rather than interesting to explore.

But yah, it would have been nice to have gotten more.

Any other city would have defeated the purpose and awesomeness of New LA.

I really hate NLA. It feels tacky and out of place in an alien planet. Also the music drives me nuts, even 40 hours in. I guess wanting to "mimic" the feel of LA makes... sense? But I just can't help but compare it to Colony 9 and it feels so poorly designed in comparison. The "residential" district feels pathetic, as does most of everything else. To me it just feels like a poorly designed hub just barely made to feel like a real "town". It's very utilitarian, but not very impressive.

I also live in California and hate LA, so I'm guessing that doesn't help.

Thanks!

Despite my knee-jerk reaction I'll probably still finish the game, as I'm already 40 hours in. However, I really can't believe NLA is the only proper town. Despite the improved/expanded systems, I'm not sure how anyone in their right mind can compare this game favorably to the original XC. It's just quite honestly feels like something completely different knowing that NLA is basically the only real settlement.

Its too different to compare other than its similarities in the battle system and some similar terms. The way the game is structured, paced, built and designed is far different than XC.

I don't make better/worse comparisons between Xenosaga III and Xenoblade because of how different they are, and I really can't do the same thing here.

finalflame

Its too different to compare other than its similarities in the battle system and some similar terms. The way the game is structured, paced, built and designed is far different than XC.

I don't make better/worse comparisons between Xenosaga III and Xenoblade because of how different they are, and I really can't do the same thing here.

I agree with you. However, I don't think comparing Xenosaga and Xenoblade Chronicles is the same as comparing Xenoblade Chronicles and its same-named successor, Xenoblade Chronicles X.

Kind of like you have certain expectations out of Final Fantasy games, even if all their stories are entirely separate from each other and the battle/other systems vary.

Any other city would have defeated the purpose and awesomeness of New LA.

I like it, I like how it grows a lot and that
ma-non ship

I guess that narrative "fits" and is convenient, but kind of feels like a cop-out. Not to mention the prone bases are super boring and feel thoughtlessly copy-pasted in a way to be annoying to traverse rather than interesting to explore.

But yah, it would have been nice to have gotten more.

I really hate NLA. It feels tacky and out of place in an alien planet. Also the music drives me nuts, even 40 hours in. I guess wanting to "mimic" the feel of LA makes... sense? But I just can't help but compare it to Colony 9 and it feels so poorly designed in comparison. The "residential" district feels pathetic, as does most of everything else. To me it just feels like a poorly designed hub just barely made to feel like a real "town". It's very utilitarian, but not very impressive.

I also live in California and hate LA, so I'm guessing that doesn't help.

not sure how far you got in 40 hours but there is a sci-fi theme to this game that the first one had less of the aliens you meet make NLA worth it for me

this world is still pretty huge with nice hidden surprises that make exploring fun

all the ruins in this game just tells a story of what could have been on Mira long ago

hopefully the next game on NX gives us more of what we want

instead of cities we got great planet with very different locations I love this game for what it is

I agree with you. However, I don't think comparing Xenosaga and Xenoblade Chronicles is the same as comparing Xenoblade Chronicles and its same-named successor, Xenoblade Chronicles X.

Kind of like you have certain expectations out of Final Fantasy games, even if all their stories are entirely separate from each other and the battle/other systems vary.

Still technically a "Xeno" game made by Takahashi and Monolith Soft, but I get what you mean. A name carries some expectations, but it doesn't change how I view the content itself. If others wanna make the comparisons that's totally cool, but after playing for 60 hours I just don't see them. Outside of the combat and terminology of course.

Like Xenoblade is much more of a fantasy game than it is sci-fi, while Xenoblade X is much more of a sci-fi game than it is fantasy. The tones of the game couldn't be anymore different.

finalflame

Still technically a "Xeno" game made by Takahashi and Monolith Soft, but I get what you mean. A name carries some expectations, but it doesn't change how I view the content itself. If others wanna make the comparisons that's totally cool, but after playing for 60 hours I just don't see them. Outside of the combat and terminology of course.

Like Xenoblade is much more of a fantasy game than it is sci-fi, while Xenoblade X is much more of a sci-fi game than it is fantasy. The tones of the game couldn't be anymore different.

Yah, definitely very different tones and stories. I think the problem was still expecting some of what made me fall in love with XC out of XCX. I still like XCX in its own right or I wouldn't have played as much of it as I already have, but I guess I still want to compare them. You're right though, even though they share the same name, it's apples and oranges.

Shahadan

X lacks almost everything I loved in the first Xenoblade, but I enjoyed my time with X a lot more.

It's just doing what it tries to do a lot better. Projecting your expectations onto a game and then complain it isn't what you wanted is a bad idea imo.
Before it released I kept whining it wasn't anything like the first xenoblade (and was rebuked by believers who were fooling themselves) but not only that's a good thing, that's not at all what it's trying to do.

I prefer judging something for what it is rather than what I want it to be.

Golnei

Is the
Wrothian Stronghold
a town? I'd count it on the same level as the Refugee Camp, at least. And the
Ma-non ship
can only be counted with NLA by location.

not sure how far you got in 40 hours but there is a sci-fi theme to this game that the first one had less of the aliens you meet make NLA worth it for me

this world is still pretty huge with nice hidden surprises that make exploring fun

all the ruins in this game just tells a story of what could have been on Mira long ago

hopefully the next game on NX gives us more of what we want

While it's very different from the first game, all of that makes XCX's presentation really work for me. I'd like a better-told main story, but if it were a choice between seeing them experiment with the way they set up the world and narrative and Xenoblade 2; I'd pick the approach we got.

Since Takahashi's stated he wants to return to a more traditional approach with the next game, I hope they don't completely discard the elements they experimented with here to pursue a straight iteration of the first game.

finalflame

X lacks almost everything I loved in the first Xenoblade, but I enjoyed my time with X a lot more.

It's just doing what it tries to do a lot better. Projecting your expectations onto a game and then complain it isn't what you wanted is a bad idea imo.
Before it released I kept whining it wasn't anything like the first xenoblade (and was rebuked by believers who were fooling themselves) but not only that's a good thing, that's not at all what it's trying to do.

I prefer judging something for what it is rather than what I want it to be.

Sure, I guess I'm still in that phase where I was hoping to find some of what I loved in the original in XCX. But basically none of it is there, except for the combat, which I did love in the original.

Again, I think it comes down to the name. Xenoblade Chronicles X just sets up certain expectations by default in my mind. I am still bummed NLA is the only proper settlement/town in the game, but oh well. Life goes on.

Top Bottom