• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT2| Welcome to New L+A a.k.a. Read the Frakkin' Manual!

How i desperately wish i could disable the Skell flight music, i'd absolutely love to fly around Noctilum at day time with that theme playing. Exploring the Great Nail for the first time and the the surrounding areas on foot at day time with the Noctilum theme playing is possibly my gaming moment of 2015. So good!!!
Yeah, sound design in this game is dumb, they should have left an option.

vareon

Sure, I guess I'm still in that phase where I was hoping to find some of what I loved in the original in XCX. But basically none of it is there, except for the combat, which I did love in the original.

Again, I think it comes down to the name. Xenoblade Chronicles X just sets up certain expectations by default in my mind. I am still bummed NLA is the only proper settlement/town in the game, but oh well. Life goes on.

I think the game had a good job in setting expectations despite its title. It keeps hammering we're humanity's last chance, STUCK ON A WHOLE DIFFERENT PLAAANET, etc that I don't know how anyone can expect other towns beside NLA. Even I'm surprised that there are other intelligent aliens beside humans and the enemies, but then again the game has one point--Mira is an uncharted planet.

You know what--I thought I would be disappointed by the fact that NLA is the only town and the rest is hostile areas. I don't like the Mechonis portion of Xenoblade Chronicles because it lacks settlements, the entire Mechonis feels like a really long dungeon. But hey I apparently enjoyed XCX more.

My biggest complaint was the totally useless basecamp. The game would be so much better if basecamps had BLADE barracks console and a fast travel point.

Golnei

My biggest complaint was the totally useless basecamp. The game would be so much better if basecamps had BLADE barracks console and a fast travel point.

That would have helped so much. Even if they weren't even fast travel points and just allowed you to refuel and recover Skells without returning to the barracks, it'd have eliminated a lot of tedium.

Did chapter 11 tonight. At level 44, that zig and humanoid at the end of the on-foot corridor section were probably some of the hardest fights I've had yet in the game. ... Then I got to chapter 12. At level 47 with a few level 45 team mates it's not proving easy. I think I've decided to go back and get at least one level 50 skell.

Where is Noctilum FN224? Am I missing a cave or something?

You got it. Try checking partway up the Cliffside, near the eastern edge of Qing Long Glade.

ugoo18

This far in and i still don't know how to do the emergency exit before your skell dies. Am i meant to hit B right as the circle hits the thicker outer border or is there something else i'm meant to do?

This far in and i still don't know how to do the emergency exit before your skell dies. Am i meant to hit B right as the circle hits the thicker outer border or is there something else i'm meant to do?

Whenever a soul challenge appears, including when your skell dies, so long as the moving ring is WHITHIN the yellow band when you hit B, it should give you a Perfect. I've noticed, though, that If you only have 1 insurance left, even with a perfect rating, your insurance will decrease to 0. At least, that's been my experience.

Golnei

You have to hit B while it's in the shaded outer region of tbe circle - it's the same input you need to get any other 'perfect' QTE.

Did chapter 11 tonight. At level 44, that zig and humanoid at the end of the on-foot corridor section were probably some of the hardest fights I've had yet in the game.

I hated the chamber with the Milsadis and that one Zig - I died so many times I was almost disappointed when I saw you could just run past.

Yeah, sound design in this game is dumb, they should have left an option.
I really like the music of the game, but I agree, the design is terrible. Awkward loop points, horrendous mixing, and questionable transitions are my main complaints. Sawano's work never really interfered with the characters' conversations in the various anime he's composed for, so it really is just a mixing issue. I don't have the flight module yet, but I can already imagine how annoying the flight music can be (even though the song itself isn't bad).

What's a good spot to farm lv 50 skell weapons?
Anywhere where you kill lots of mechanoid enemies (mainly puges and puglith, I think others tend to drop more armour) of sufficiently high level (the higher the better though lower level do have a slim chance of dropping 50 gear) very quickly.

It feels like different weapons etc drop from different enemies and I don't know if anyone has tracked those kinds of things.

It would also seem many level 50 weapons have two versions where one version is rarer but has better stats. You might see lots of blahlbah140 but one blahblah150.

Where is Noctilum FN224? Am I missing a cave or something?
Speaking of that place.
I hear the tyrant there is good for infinite tier skell wear drops (which I probably should farm as it is also an important part of using skells) but you really have to KO it ASAP as it has absurd amounts of regen. If you're on foot and just there for the collectibles, don't worry he won't bother you.

You got it. Try checking partway up the Cliffside, near the eastern edge of Qing Long Glade.

Thanks, man.

Speaking of that place.
I hear the tyrant there is good for infinite tier skell wear drops (which I probably should farm as it is also an important part of using skells) but you really have to KO it ASAP as it has absurd amounts of regen. If you're on foot and just there for the collectibles, don't worry he won't bother you.

I will keep this in mind.

Why do you need one? I hope it's not for collectibles :D

That's part of it. I also struggle with the missions. I choose the 1 star ones thinking they're easy but sometimes I find tyrants that are at level 30+ while I'm still 18!

I'm sure the guide will give me tips and stuff. And helps me avoid looking for answers for silly stuff online.

One example is. The Squad missions. I have no idea what do I need to kill to complete them. Although I know the hold R then press L to know what type of monsters. It still doesn't help me :p

Yeah I'm too lazy

That's part of it. I also struggle with the missions. I choose the 1 star ones thinking they're easy but sometimes I find tyrants that are at level 30+ while I'm still 18!

When this happens, you often just have to do your best to navigate around them. You can actually pretty safely explore a lot of areas far above your level, just by being mindful of aggro radii.

vareon

Finished chapter 10. I wonder how that fight was if I wasn't overleveled at 46, that was fun.

Halfway into the second phase, I lost my skell. Continued the fight with lightsabers. Still won.

Shahadan

I'm sure the guide will give me tips and stuff. And helps me avoid looking for answers for silly stuff online.

One example is. The Squad missions. I have no idea what do I need to kill to complete them. Although I know the hold R then press L to know what type of monsters. It still doesn't help me :p

Yeah I'm too lazy

Mostly, don't bother trying to do a specific mission. Either accept those requiring collectibles you already have so it auto completes, or just accept some and you will complete them without wanting to while doing other stuff.

Same for squad missions, eventually you might encounter a monster with an S icon and you'll just have to kill those. You could check the bestiary to see where to find them but well, too much effort :p

The ones you want to complete are Normal Missions, given by npcs with a pink/red question mark around NLA.
A few basic missions from the consoles open some stuff like characters though. Choose according to the objective maybe?

Rurunaki

My one complaint so far is not being able to change party members on the whim. It's stupid that I have to find the people I want in my party in their respective areas just to be able to switch them in.

Mostly, don't bother trying to do a specific mission. Either accept those requiring collectibles you already have so it auto completes, or just accept some and you will complete them without wanting to while doing other stuff.

Same for squad missions, eventually you might encounter a monster with an S icon and you'll just have to kill those. You could check the bestiary to see where to find them but well, too much effort :p

The ones you want to complete are Normal Missions, given by npcs with a pink/red question mark around NLA.
A few basic missions from the consoles open some stuff like characters though. Choose according to the objective maybe?

I think that's what I'll do then.. I've searched on google for walkthroughs with no avail. I'm stuck in a story mission now and don't know how to find something or someone in the north-west area (forgot the name) and I can't seem to know where to even start looking. It's a huge area with lots of tough monsters.

Ah well, I'm pathetic. .. Wish I had more time to play

When this happens, you often just have to do your best to navigate around them. You can actually pretty safely explore a lot of areas far above your level, just by being mindful of aggro radii.

I meant the objective is to kill a tyrant that's way above my level.. I just need to suck it up and level up I guess :(

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Western Volkampf tracker: 242,131 as of December 31st, 2015 - 12:12 GMT

Frodo

Having finished the game yesterday, I can say I really enjoyed it, but there were a few annoying decisions that made it a little bit to grindy/tedious at points.

My biggest grip with the game is how the Main Missions and Affinity Missions and Affinity Requirements are put together. First, the game requires Elma and Lin to be in a lot of missions so I felt there was little incentive to try other blade members instead of just leaving both of them and just adding someone else at the fourth spot, so at the end of the game I was stuck trying to raise Gwin's Affinity and so on. Not to mention for other side missions. Affinity is a dumb and frustrating requirement. And then there isn't a single clue as to where you should accept those Affinity missions, leaving you roaming endlessly through NLA or looking at your Gamepad screen trying to find it. I reckon it would be much better to just make those Affinity missions part of the main Missions and let the game itself sort the party. So I don't have to walk through NLA just to recruit someone at an arbitrary location. Which, again, should be more streamlined. They all have communication devices, why can't I just message them from my menu, or at least from the Barracks and have them join me? At the end of the day I don't want to go to Mission Control just to find out I need to finish a Affinity Mission first, spend time trying to find where this specific Affinity Mission is located, only to find it and discover that it requires an specific member that I need to recruit somewhere in NLA, so I go there, recruit the missing member, get back to the Affinity Mission and then I'm told I don't have enough Affinity with that member to proceed. Ridiculously overly complicated.

Also, about the Barracks, it is just as annoying how you can only manage your Skell from there. As already mentioned in this page, wouldn't it be great if you could use the base camps to refuel or to repair your Skell? Having to fast travel (which requires the Gamepad, another silly decision) to the barracks every time a member of the party loses their Skell gets annoying pretty fast. Another thing that wouldn't hurt is to not get rid of the jump button after you get the Flying Module. Flying could be activated with a double tap on the ZR or something else entirely without striping you of a function you are already used to by the time you get the flying module.

FUCK. THE. FIND. A. YELLOW. BUBBLE. MISSIONS.

I've spend a lot of time with this game and I had a lot of fun. But overall, it is still overly complicated at points, and it makes your life playing it harder for absolutely no reason. I understand they might have made those so we are forced to explore NLA and the world, but it just makes it too tedious at points. I almost gave up at certain point because I didn't want to go online to find out where on NLA the Affinity Mission was hiding.

But the things it gets right, it gets right. The world was a joy to explore and not giving you the Skell when you first start it, or not giving you the Flight Module when you first get your Skell was actually a great decision. At those points the game world opens up for you and you rediscover it once again. First time flying from inside NLA straight to the vastness of Mira was a great gaming moment.

Anyway, I do hope there is a sequel coming that streamlines the issues I've mentioned and makes the game punish you less for no reason. I mean, (ending spoilers:)
That ending feels like they are teasing a sequel, right?

:)

R00bot

Wait, do the perfect exits out of skells not matter postgame? Saw my skell insurances being used regardless

Of course they still matter, either you're not perfect exiting or you've already used all of your insurance (perfect exits won't stop you from having to pay a fee for fixing it when you have 0 insurances).

Griss

you guys know theres an ingame manual right?

It was only last night after getting my Skell and being confused as fuck that I read the entire thing from start to finish. The amount of things I didn't know was just incredible. I blame the game for that, frankly.

A good example is the hexagon colours indicating the level range of enemies found there. That was never explained. Or the 'paper' button on the gamepad being to turn off Blade Reports etc. So many unexplained things.

It would also seem many level 50 weapons have two versions where one version is rarer but has better stats. You might see lots of blahlbah140 but one blahblah150.

There's a third version too, 160. Usually the 140 has +7 mods, the 150 has +9/10 mods, and the 160 has +11/+12 mods.

Level 60 req armor/weapons on foot also come in at least 3 tiers too. There's Ultra, Ultra Cosmic/Nebulan, then Ultra Diamond.

Jisgsaw

It was only last night after getting my Skell and being confused as fuck that I read the entire thing from start to finish. The amount of things I didn't know was just incredible. I blame the game for that, frankly.

A good example is the hexagon colours indicating the level range of enemies found there. That was never explained. Or the 'paper' button on the gamepad being to turn off Blade Reports etc. So many unexplained things.

Hence the title of thee OP.

moolamb

But the things it gets right, it gets right. The world was a joy to explore and not giving you the Skell when you first start it, or not giving you the Flight Module when you first get your Skell was actually a great decision. At those points the game world opens up for you and you rediscover it once again. First time flying from inside NLA straight to the vastness of Mira was a great gaming moment.
:)

I nominate that first flight as the greatest gaming moment of my life. Nothing this year even comes close. I couldn't believe how beautiful it was, even after watching so many previews and videos.

Mmmm, if you're expecting to use your skell right after the battle, you might be missing that even a perfect result will still get your skell destroyed, meaning you still have to get back to your quarters to repair it. The only thing a perfect result does is not consuming an insurance charge, and letting you out with full health and double cooldown charge on your arts.

Motooni

Hmm, I feel like perfect result doesn't always work. I got a perfect bail in a fight in Oblivia and still went down to 0 Insurance. Unless I'm mistaken.

Renewed

Probably gonna start working on Ultrafauna Slayer augments later today.

What do the different colors mean on the mobs name plates? Like purple, green, etc

AS6Aq72.png

Griss

I really hate this colour scheme, because in my head 'rainbow based difficultly level colour schemes' always start with blue, and end with purple being higher than red. Purple coming at the beginning throws me off completely and thirty hours in I'm still confused by it.

Fortunately the levels of enemies themselves are always clearly displayed.

zroid

Banned
Ok guys. I'm home and here's the task I need to do

"find a spherical EM motor in Noctilum"

Appreciate the help. I have no clue what to do

don't

you'll eventually get the item from some mission a bit later in the game

if you absolutely must do it now, you can find it rarely in the Weeping Whitewood area in north-east Noctilum

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I really hate this colour scheme, because in my head 'rainbow based difficultly level colour schemes' always start with blue, and end with purple being higher than red. Purple coming at the beginning throws me off completely and thirty hours in I'm still confused by it.

lol just look at the monster Lv number, you'll figure it out real quick in relation to yours whether the monster is going to be easy or hard.

Zafir

It can basically be found any NE/NEE place in Noctilum you can get to without a flying Skell(the north most island is flying only). Most people say Weeping Whitewood, but I found it a bit more north than that.

Sadly, if you haven't explored much in Noctilum, which you most likely won't have, you'll have to do quite a bit of exploration to find it. So it may be worth coming back later if you don't fancy it.

It's further up north in Noctilum, there's an area named 'weeping whitewood' where it can be found.

Edit: or what person above me says, but I did find it in there. But yeah, leave it for later if you haven't explored much yet, that's what I did as well.

rhandino

Banned

1) Wheeping Whitewood but it's a rare drop. The NPC that gives you the quest gives you the name of the exact area where is most common found (The Nail or something, idr)

2) It's a fixed reward for doing Irina's first Affinity Mission.

You're not the only one that gets confused. My head always thinks Purple and Yellow as super difficult. Blame other games for instilling this mindset lol.

Top Bottom