• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT2| Welcome to New L+A a.k.a. Read the Frakkin' Manual!

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
One thing I noticed is that it seems in this game you don't really need to pay attention to your party members that much. In the sense that it's better to just put together a good build on your character once you're far enough along into the game. My Photon Saber/Dual Gun build while not perfect melts through most things pretty quickly far outpacing my team in terms of damage. It's a bit different when it comes to Skells since those are completely customize-able so the damage is consistent regardless of who pilots it.

Contrast this to Chronicles on Wii where you needed to work with your team (ignoring Dunban) to topple enemies, avoid bad visions and rally your allies when necessary. There's also the Chain Attack which is an attack that involves all party members where as in X it's replaced by the Overdrive which is a solo mechanic that doesn't require any interaction with the rest of your party. Soul Voice is a nice mechanic but I kind of feel like it isn't enough.

What you get in the end is something that feels like it doesn't focus as much on the party but more so on individual performance. For their next game I would like to see more mechanics that involve your party working together, as I greatly enjoyed Xenoblade Chronicles take on party interactivity in combat.
No thanks, the highest level monsters wipe out your party in no time; solo is the only option here.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
What are you guys running as far as weapon setup goes?

Knife/Sniper is good, damn near great at times, but I really feel like I'm straddling the fence on certain builds and skills. Knife is just so good at keeping everyone alive and everything under control.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Knife/Sniper is good, damn near great at times, but I really feel like I'm straddling the fence on certain builds and skills. Knife is just so good at keeping everyone alive and everything under control.

Longsword/sniper, I have TP for days and can spam my big moves easily. I still need to finish the build off with Blossom Dance though.

lol

I officially have new respect for Murderess

She was the one who found and named the Rod of Brutality +10

Just started reading the collectopedia

A small thing that was in Xenoblade but was left out of Xenoblade X that makes me sad to see is gone is the ability to instantly move the battle "cursor" onto the centre (Monado/Overdrive) by pressing up. It was really handy for setting certain arts on either side of the centre so you could simply press up and then left or right to always land on them in a hurry. In Xenoblade X, pressing up on the D-Pad in battle does nothing. :(

Golnei

A small thing that was in Xenoblade but was left out of Xenoblade X that makes me sad to see is gone is the ability to instantly move the battle "cursor" onto the centre (Monado/Overdrive) by pressing up. It was really handy for setting certain arts on either side of the centre so you could simply press up and then left or right to always land on them in a hurry. In Xenoblade X, pressing up on the D-Pad in battle does nothing. :(

Though the D-pad at least gets some use with party member commands, it would have been nice if they'd included that. In any case, you can really see how constrained they were with the controller layout here compared to the first game's Wii Remote-centric design - such a shame they didn't have something like a touchscreen they could have used as an alternative method for selecting arts, commands and items.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Longsword/sniper, I have TP for days and can spam my big moves easily. I still need to finish the build off with Blossom Dance though.

I might try that... kinda shook to go full damage because keeping guys alive through fights just makes life easier imo

Chi3fster

Banned
Sniper/Photon Saber

I've maxed out my Melee skills and Arts. I'm doing ~80% of the damage to any given monster lol. Leveling up the arts REALLY cuts down the cooldown, so I target appendages and use one art shortly after another. The Dismantler skill pretty much doubles your damage on appendages.

With all of this Starfall Rondo might be the best Melee art in the game - not counting Skell Arts of course. There's probably better guns to go with Photon Sabers, but I've only mastered the Jedi (Galactic Knight) class.

Z3M0G

Got a WiiU during boxing sale and am finally playing this game. It is fucking GREAT. Gyving with the Xenogears/saga fan in me much more than the previous game did. Loving the scifi presented here.

Overwelming... so much to take in. But I feel I could be happy with this being the only game I own a WiiU to play... even though Im gaining burning interest in a few other games.

I've got all the classes mastered, but haven't really bothered with much ground game stuff. Some more engaging post game content that required it would be nice, because the Ares squadron is too real

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I might try that... kinda shook to go full damage because keeping guys alive through fights just makes life easier imo

The burst damage can be crazy, but that's because you don't have the tools to draw a fight out. You can do AOE or single target, but it really excels at breaking body parts fast.

tHoxPa6.png
I'm feeling quite motivated now.

The level 5 archeology quests sucks, gonna need a level 60 skell for this tyrant.

Are the mechanical/biological ones this shitty as well?

Fandangox

I am running Longsword/Sniper, I gain like 500 TP per autoatack with the Longsword, and the moment I can get into overdrive, as long as I don't mess up the chain, its very easy to keep.

Still building that set, doing a Potential Up XX augment, which should really help me rack up the damage. Got a couple of skills that raise TP per art used during overdrive, and a few that make Melee Arts stronger.

I don't even pay attention to what gun I have equipped because my whole art palette is longsword skills.

Is there anything super worthwhile I should have on there?

And what sort of skills or augments or whatever do you need to chain overdrive?

Haunted

The level 5 archeology quests sucks, gonna need a level 60 skell for this tyrant.

Mechanical lvl 5 has a level 55 tyrant that's absolutely doable with a team of lvl 30 skells, easily with a lvl 50 skell.

I did all the field skills before I got my Ares 90 (so mostly with a team of lvl 50 skells) and I'm hardly good at the game. You can do it!

Mechanical lvl 5 has a level 55 tyrant that's absolutely doable with a team of lvl 30 skells, easily with a lvl 50 skell.

I did all the field skills before I got my Ares 90 (so mostly with a team of lvl 50 skells) and I'm hardly good at the game. You can do it!

Hmm I've only got the one level 50 skell for myself atm, I'll invest in some for my party members and see how I go.

I killed it with two level 50 skells and two 30s. Down two skells by the end of the fight, but who cares.

The tyrant for the mechanical one is easier, but finding it is annoying because it moves and doesn't always spawn. It is on a set path, though.

Nah, it was easy with 3 Level 50 Skells, and that was probably overkill--just craft some Insectoid Slayer XX augments for that particular Tyrant and it should go down pretty quickly. They make a huge difference for things like that.

Nah, it was easy with 3 Level 50 Skells, and that was probably overkill--just craft some Insectoid Slayer XX augments for that particular Tyrant and it should go down pretty quickly. They make a huge difference for things like that.

How do augments work?
Can I whack that +40% to insects thing in every single slot on all my skell's weapons or what?
Then does it only effect the attack of the weapon it's equipped in or does it work for everything?

zroid

Banned
It really loses something without "bro". I'm not sure what would have been a better direction to go in for a female avatar - maybe rewriting the whole line into a "yaas queen" sort of thing?

"it's all on your, girl!" works but it should've been "oh yes, sister!"

imo

Haunted

How do augments work?
Can I whack that +40% to insects thing in every single slot on all my skell's weapons or what?
Then does it only effect the attack of the weapon it's equipped in or does it work for everything?
Just the art of the weapon the augment is attached to.

ManeKast

Hey I'm getting really bad framerate hits when spinning the camera whilst having Skells. Flying. Exploring. In new LA.

It's pretty much like the camera is in the barracks and doesn't seem to go away. I had the data packs on an external then redownloaded all 4 to internal storage/moved my save across and the issue persists.

Nobody I have spoken to have this issue. Anyone experienced this or heard about it? It's ruining the game for me. No skells its fine. Double checked and I have all 4 data packs.

About to purchase a new Wii U (mines a day 1 launch model; no issues with other games).

Just the art of the weapon the augment is attached to.

Laaaame.

I think I saw people talking about how +100% is the cap for stuff in here the other day?

So if I add slots and put 3 of them in I'll max out my damage?

Then is there a general agreed upon augment that's the best for just general use?

Then how do they work for ground gear? If I put them in my longsword it boosts all my longsword skills?

I've ignored them all the way up till postgame :p

Usually you can get the info for weather based tyrants at the different camps on each map. Some are almost impossible to see without those tips.
For your issue in Oblivia, if it's the one SW of FN306 you have to fly very low in the abyss to see it. If not it's probably one in a cave and the entrance is often near but might be tricky.
Looks like I'll be going to every base camp at every time of day now. It is fine I need to kill time to build up Bonjelium.

That is the one (yeah supreme bunny ears). I was sure I had explored down there. I similarly got stuck on the patrol coptor north of FN 220 (it is high up, really high up like how can high can choppers fly high up...at least it makes more sense than that one in the middle of nowhere in the ocean to the left of where it says World).

I'm about 2/3rds of the way building my Fuck Telethia skell build, went to test it out and two-shot it. Impressive, but I need more power. I won't rest until that ballache is dead in one hit and a tap.
This power. I need more. MORE.

I've got over 30 million credits but ticket farming the Final menace burns through fuel for 3 Ares 90s and my custom Skell. Doing that Scouting mission for 30000 miranium is not really suitable as the AI tends to go big or go home with attacks (Super Weapons Super weapons everywhere) thereby burning through more fuel. I could do it on foot but the few seconds it'd take me to phoenix everything vs travelling on foot to blitz everything discourages me from that.
This is why I have Elma and Lin as two of my Skell pilots. I just kick them from the party, go to the hanger menu and have the 3rd member with the skell armed with phoenix so I can allocate it to myself (if I wasn't using Ares 90 currently I could re-equip my skell and nu-register ownership of the 3rd members) and it isn't far to re-recruit elma and lin.

Thing is when it comes to busting appendages and exiting I'm not they really sure they save a lot of time compared with the time spent gather fuel.

How do augments work?
They affect all weapons on the Skell. Telethia nemesis and an ares 90 is proof of this. I have neg.reflect.ether on one weapon and never kill myself from reflected ether damage.

Now this isn't true for the weapon mod augments that start with the word custom, those are that weapon only (if it did affect all weapons custom.wp.speed would be broken rather than broken if the weapon has it built in and upgraded along with the 3 augments you can equip).

Similarly having arts gain tp on a gun affects melee arts using the other weapon.

The game really needs to communicate all this better.

Haunted

They affect all weapons on the Skell. Telethia nemesis and an ares 90 is proof of this. I have neg.reflect.ether on one weapon and never kill myself from reflected ether damage.

Now this isn't true for the weapon mod augments that start with the word custom, those are that weapon only (if it did affect all weapons custom.wp.speed would be broken rather than broken if the weapon has it built in and upgraded along with the 3 augments you can equip).

Similarly having arts gain tp on a gun affects melee arts using the other weapon.

The game really needs to communicate all this better.
I totally didn't know this. Do the SLAYER augments have custom attached to them? Something to check next time.

Sorry for passing on false information! Though I agree that the game never communicates these sorts of behind the scenes details and it's a bit of a problem when that knowledge is kinda needed for these post-game level 94+ bosses.

Vena

I totally didn't know this. Do the SLAYER augments have custom attached to them? Something to check next time.

No. The only things that are Custom are the Weapon Mod Augments. You can equip cooldown reducing or fuel cost reducing (both are good for super weapons, though the both are pretty much rendered useless by Overdrive... unless you want to use them for farming or giving the AI super weapons) customs, for example, that only work for that weapon.

Also remember that any BOOST or %-modifiers are capped at 100%.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Got my Skell! W O W!!!! Such a crazy upgrade. So far I've been just charting more territory in Oblivia and just opened L's shop. What else should I do? Just continue on with the story?

Just got the Flight module and it's pretty amazing. I had a bit of trouble on the ground part of chapter 9, but that was due to everyone but me being kind of underleveled for trying to give affinity to everyone.

Also remember that any BOOST or %-modifiers are capped at 100%.
It might be more complicated than that as the ares 90 should have over 100% AttributeDmg.ETHER from its built-in augments yet adding AttributeDmg.ETHER XX to the frame does boost damage (one does at least). Searching around one theory is frame and weapon/armour are considered separate caps (source).

In terms of having varied builds though it is not unreasonable to work around the assumption of it being 100% plus IIRC you did see clear evidence of % caps when using the drive augments.

On another note that did make me look and notice how easy the PositionDmg. augments are to make and like slayer they seem very effective for how little they cost.

Mephala

The OST has grown on me. To the point that I'm a bit disappointed when I'm flying around skimming the ground grabbing up shinies and accidentally land switching songs. >8\

Top Bottom