• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT2| Welcome to New L+A a.k.a. Read the Frakkin' Manual!

Who's bright idea was it to limit EM storms to time on Cauldros...

Changed the time once and I get an EM storm...

Killed that stupid Tyrant with so much pent up frustration that I kept doing return to skell just so I can destroy him again

Xenoboy

Okay I'm gonna put down the game for a day or two now. I shouldn't be rushing it, so I'll take it slower from now on. I'm basically on overheat mode.
Did some nice progress though and Alexa is stupid in her second mission.
Why let Mika go? She's a nut job. Add her to not deserving of coming to the White Whale.

Strike00

Banned
WVW69ivoeyM6uK88mG

After 164 hours finally 100% survey rate, time for a break!

Dineren

Banned
I joined my first squad mission yesterday and I'm not entirely sure I understand what is happening. Are most of these big missions just going to end in failure? We cleared his health bar probably 10 times with no result. Does only the squad that eventually clears the final health bar succeed?

Also I picked up a bunch of destroyer's pieces, but I'm not sure if I'm supposed to do anything with them. I thought maybe crafting, but I couldn't find any armor that uses it. Do I just sell them for reward tickets?

Huh, Army Pizza...
was totally not expecting a murder quest line involving them. WTF?

That was a pretty big shock for me too. I never even knew his wife died.

Xenoboy

Huh, Army Pizza...
was totally not expecting a murder quest line involving them. WTF?

Another example of
someone who never should have gotten into the White Whale. Turns out the guy was a fucking a assassin or something, for hire, in the past.

I joined my first squad mission yesterday and I'm not entirely sure I understand what is happening. Are most of these big missions just going to end in failure? We cleared his health bar probably 10 times with no result. Does only the squad that eventually clears the final health bar succeed?

Also I picked up a bunch of destroyer's pieces, but I'm not sure if I'm supposed to do anything with them. I thought maybe crafting, but I couldn't find any armor that uses it. Do I just sell them for reward tickets?
Yeah the nemesis quests have a time limit. You take out as many health bars as you can during it and then it ends. You can also abandon at any time.

Dunno what happens exactly if they actually die. They have like millions of RP, and I don't think they've gone down even once yet. I'd imagine everyone who participated gets something.

The spoils you get are just for tickets. Be sure to sell them before the nemesis flees.

StAidan

Got my first 100% section in the Collectopedia (Primordia). Was glad to see there is a decent reward at the end, it's a good incentive to keep going.

ubiblu

Bought this on launch but hadn't really bothered playing it until a few days ago. The first hour or so was terrible and reminded me of why I hated Xenoblade Wii, but now sitting at 20 hours and lvl 16, I'm actually having a blast. The exploration and collectables are great, and the combat system is starting to click. Can't wait to visit the other regions and get a skell. Hopefully my interest levels stay around till then (still stuck in Gaur Plains and slightly more inclined to go back after playing this).

Dineren

Banned
Yeah the nemesis quests have a time limit. You take out as many health bars as you can during it and then it ends. You can also abandon at any time.

Dunno what happens exactly if they actually die. They have like millions of RP, and I don't think they've gone down even once yet. I'd imagine everyone who participated gets something.

The spoils you get are just for tickets. Be sure to sell them before the nemesis flees.

Thanks for the answers! I'm glad to hear about the spoils, I probably would have just held on to them forever.

Blues1990

Got my first 100% section in the Collectopedia (Primordia). Was glad to see there is a decent reward at the end, it's a good incentive to keep going.

What kind of reward do you receive when you explore a continent at 100%? I'm currently at 95% at Primordia.

I hope one day we'll see a great piece of fan-art of the
Ma-non ship with all of the xenoforms.

Actually, when she went Colonel Mode in Gwin's affinity mission, it made me appreciate how relaxed Elma has been with pretty much everything. However, I would have loved to see her go Colonel Elma just for the sake of it.
Can you imagine her being calm one moment, but then being an absolute slave driver the next? Sounds like fun times to me.

I love seeing all the xenos mingle. Its really made NLA much more interesting.

And yeah, I forgot Elma had a history as a strict leader on Earth. I think the only time I've seen Elma really mad was during chapter 7? I need to hunt down the rest of her heart to hearts.

Well, according to the spoiler thread,
there isn't really an official story behind the discs...

Oh really? Man thats a missed opportunity.

-shadow-

Is it possible that you get locked out of the 100%? I heard you can't do certain Heart-to-Heart with a character after chapter 9. And I've already begun chapter 9.

Dineren

Banned
Is it possible that you get locked out of the 100%? I heard you can't do certain Heart-to-Heart with a character after chapter 9. And I've already begun chapter 9.

I missed them and will not 100% it regardless so I can't say for sure, but I've seen multiple people say that those Heart-to-Hearts don't affect your percentage.

I love seeing all the xenos mingle. Its really made NLA much more interesting.

And yeah, I forgot Elma had a history as a strict leader on Earth. I think the only time I've seen Elma really mad was during chapter 7? I need to hunt down the rest of her heart to hearts.

Oh really? Man thats a missed opportunity.

Where's your avatar from?

Finalow

what the hell was that.

in Sylvalum I was fighting the huge worm tyrant, suddenly the weather changed and I got the can't-see-shit mist, then a message "you can hear some monster roar" ?? and more tyrants came out from somewhere.

where did you look? it's among the first things you see in the OP.
eh, google. I only read the OP once before starting the game so I didn't even remember the link was there, lol.

Is there a good point to branch off and start exploring a bit more? I'm feeling that I don't quite have the gear for the current boss (chapter 3) and that the bounties are just a little bit out of reach right now. This seems like the right time to go do my own thing but it seems like I've not really finished the whole introduction to game mechanics either. Should I be looking to break off and do some random stuff now or am I just doing a really bad job with the boss?

Is there any way to jump in a skell once you get the flight module?

Press both of the trigger buttons (I think you have to launch into the air first, press the other button, and you'll go into a free fall state that saves fuel, and that can be used to essentially do semi-regular jumps).

squadr0n

Is there a good guide or video explaining the combat more. I understand what im supposed to be doing but it just still hasnt clicked yet and im usually just guessing which attacks im supposed to use when and in what order. Im only in the begging of Chapter 3 still so really quite early still but could really use some help.

Ulysses 31

Is there a good guide or video explaining the combat more. I understand what im supposed to be doing but it just still hasnt clicked yet and im usually just guessing which attacks im supposed to use when and in what order. Im only in the begging of Chapter 3 still so really quite early still but could really use some help.
You didn't look at the survival guide videos in the OP?

I think I'm too stupid for this game. Fucking chapter 9 is messing me up bad. I already lowered the difficulty but I still get my ass handed to me. I am just unable to set my party and arts up to beat this fight. I think I'll give up and watch the rest of the story on youtube, the prospect of having to grind like an idiot just to see the ending and to suffer through more battles.... yeah no. Just like with Xenoblade, I just can't get the hang of the battle system beyond the bare basics, it just doesn't click for me.

I think I'm too stupid for this game. Fucking chapter 9 is messing me up bad. I already lowered the difficulty but I still get my ass handed to me. I am just unable to set my party and arts up to beat this fight. I think I'll give up and watch the rest of the story on youtube, the prospect of having to grind like an idiot just to see the ending and to suffer through more battles.... yeah no. Just like with Xenoblade, I just can't get the hang of the battle system beyond the bare basics, it just doesn't click for me.

Do you have Lins Shield Wall art?

Also make sure your arts and skills are levelled. I always forgot about them.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking

I felt that way for the longest time too. I feel like playing around with the other characters really helps. Having a lot of options with Cross is great, but sometimes it gets overwhelming. Try using Elma or Lin or whoever and see how to maximize their strengths - they should all be maxed out to ranking 20 at this stage or close. Read up on the arts and see what works best for your encounters. Upgrade your skills and choose weapons that suit the enemy you're fighting. Only grind when something is really high in level, like a blue plus, because that kills your accuracy.

I'm currently maining Elma post story mode, and she's a fricking monster. It's a lot of fun.

Do you have Lins Shield Wall art?

Also make sure your arts and skills are levelled. I always forgot about them.

I try to keep everything as high as possible, but honestly it feels like it makes no difference, the damage of each art is so pathetically low. I try to read up on the arts, but just seem to fuck it up every time.

Doesn't help that The descriptions are barely readable on screen.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I try to keep everything as high as possible, but honestly it feels like it makes no difference, the damage of each art is so pathetically low. I try to read up on the arts, but just seem to fuck it up every time.

Doesn't help that The descriptions are barely readable on screen.

Lin's arts shouldn't be focused on damage, leave that to Elma and you. Her arts should all be on tanking abilities: taunts, self heals, dodging, topples, stuns, barriers, and so on. The fight your stuck on is the one that forces players to get good and start actually optimizing the rest of their team, as such it's probably the hardest fight in the game. When I got stuck there I started messing with Lin and Elma's arts, along with my own, and then all of a sudden the fight clicked and all the weaker guys died almost instantly.

Just finished this affinity quest and it was a such a trip to hear voiced dialogue from this chara!
WVW69ivqBCER6v1Mwo

Especially when she uses the word
"Chief" to address you.

Was one of the better affinity quests in terms of character development, I have to say.

Also the heart to hearts are great too.
WVW69ivgMN40Yz3c0F

Also the final quest: "Then and Now" was a really good bookmark for the post game in terms of what will happen from then on until the next time.

-Horizon-

I'd like to see what the general opinion is of this particular mission I did for one of the alien races
It was called dubious operation

you can choose to turn the kidnapper into blade at the end or to go along with her get rich quick scheme with disposal of dangerous waste

I saved before and did both dialogue options and I'm not sure which is better. She was clearly in the wrong but at the same time, having the aliens work in a kind of company would mean at least they'll be of organized service.

But I don't know about the long term effects. This could turn out to be like the end of the suid mission which I also just did today
RIP in peace carl

Anyone?

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Just finished this affinity quest and it was a such a trip to hear voiced dialogue from this chara!
WVW69ivqBCER6v1Mwo

Especially when she uses the word
"Chief" to address you.

Was one of the better affinity quests in terms of character development, I have to say.

Also the heart to hearts are great too.
WVW69ivgMN40Yz3c0F

Also the final quest: "Then and Now" was a really good bookmark for the post game in terms of what will happen from then on until the next time.
Yeah, Mia has an awesome affinity quest; sucks she only has one.

Kyzon

what the hell was that.

in Sylvalum I was fighting the huge worm tyrant, suddenly the weather changed and I got the can't-see-shit mist, then a message "you can hear some monster roar" ?? and more tyrants came out from somewhere.

eh, google. I only read the OP once before starting the game so I didn't even remember the link was there, lol.

That's that rekt. Kill it before his friend comes. There's a few tyrants I've experienced like that. They have the whole crew on deck.

Top Bottom