• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT2| Welcome to New L+A a.k.a. Read the Frakkin' Manual!

She was too fun a char for me to kill. No regrets keeping her alive.

It has the knowledge of the universe, I still allowed it to become scrap metal

I would allow or side with more bad guys if they did not talk so damn snobbish

again, Goonie Goo Goo Gus!

I did, she just dies immediately and you get the info, kinda regretted it later

Even before you guys responded I decided to keep her alive. Just seeing her interact with Professor B was enough to justify my decision.

Also I did it because it's the opposite of what she would do. :p

Edit:
Oh god her personality just got hilarious.

Yeah been upgrading whatever I can whenever it's possible since so much on here can hand me my ass in seconds. I don't actually know what happened that first time around to be honest, I went back for a second try and she hit one member for around 350 damage and missed the rest and I managed to edge out a win even though it got a bit rough, I really should get to grinding some levels since I was only lv12 when I took it on.

I can imagine it might be tough at level 12 considering the boss fight consists of 3 level 16 enemies. I accepted the story mission at level 13 and reached 15 by the end of it.

Even before you guys responded I decided to keep her alive. Just seeing her interact with Professor B was enough to justify my decision.

Edit:

Her relationship with Prof B in the affinity chart killed me.

Nya ha ha ha!

Edit:

The outcome effects which quest you get after. If you want more happiness destroy.

random25

Ugghhhhhh

Well, if you look at how much the cheapest level 50 skell costs, maybe it's better that they never made a level 40 skell. After all, level 30 skells are still pretty serviceable even against level 50 monsters except for the big ones.

Any way to turn off "Notice ftom BLADE HQ: To commence a story mission, accept it at the BLADE barracks!"

Maybe in the settings? Not sure though.

Well, I've already saved, but what does "more happiness" mean, precisely?

Ummmm. Hard to say without spoiling but the quest you get afterwards is called:

Definian Love and its plot is about finding the right mate for a Definian. In the end both the new Definian as well as Erio reveal they are in love with you. The other quest is not about this at all but you get to fight a new enemy and get slightly better rewards in terms of money and exp.

Mephala

How do I unlock level 5 salvage/probe set up?

Any help? I suspect its the Kirsty quest line but I can't find her any more.

Also, I have seen the light. Started uploading to imgur rather than Miiverse. Shame Miiverse's image quality is so shit.
8ddwHRE.jpg

nzmdL8c.jpg

Definian Love and its plot is about finding the right mate for a Definian. In the end both the new Definian as well as Erio reveal they are in love with you. The other quest is not about this at all but you get to fight a new enemy and get slightly better rewards in terms of money and exp.

Well that fucking sucks. I would definitely have preferred that variant.

El Odio

Banned
Any help? I suspect its the Kirsty quest line but I can't find her any more.

Also, I have seen the light. Started uploading to imgur rather than Miiverse. Shame Miiverse's image quality is so shit.
8ddwHRE.jpg

nzmdL8c.jpg
Assuming you have your mechanical skill at level 4 then you need to keep checking the mission board for a quest marked "Off The Record." Each skill has it's one respective mission titled as such and completing it will increase your level.

So the fat baby sang and I am done with Chapter 12.

Overall, I am still undecided about if this game is the greatest thing ever or not, haha. I think I read from someone here, that the game feels better when you see it as a episodicl tv-series. I would go a bit further: it feels like an 90s anime, in the vein of Sailor Moon or even Evangelion. You got your normal-affinity missions which are basically "monter of the day" episodes that allows you to explore characters, settings and all that, but they dont really push the main plot -- thats what the key story-focused episodes are for. Thats an amazing approach, I really dont hate it at all.

The story is amazing. I mean, the setting of it all. Of course, even when I didnt hate the episodic thing, it was poorly executed, and so it was the character inclusion in it.
Specially with the relevance of your MC and the side characters that are not L, Gwin, Irina and Doug.Still, I feel the plot, as barebones as it was, felt more interesting than Xenoblade 1.

I hope the sales are good enough to justify a sequel, but I am not optimistic.It will be a shame if we dont get closure with the story line -- Xenosaga 3 all over again. Maaaaaybe Nintendo will be more compasionate than Bandai.

So how many hours have you all put into this game?

Over 160 here. Still going. I think I just want to finish all the affinity quests and major basic quests before I put it down. Kind of just want to extract as much story from it as possible. After 160 hours in you grow fond of the characters even though at first I didn't know or give a damn about generic character a or b (looking at you gwin).

But 160+ hours for $89.99 seems like a damn bargain to me.

What!!!???
Fuck, that sounds amazing. :(. I also let Fortun live, ughhhhh.

ezekial45

Banned
Quick question; I'm seeing a lot of graphical pop in while walking around NLA, and I even downloaded the data packs for the game. Is this normal?

Also, does it matter if the data packs are on a secondary USB storage device, or does it absolutely need to be on the wii's internal memory.

Golnei

After 160 hours in you grow fond of the characters even though at first I didn't know or give a damn about generic character a or b (looking at you gwin).

I don't think I'll ever like Gwin, but the rest of the cast does grow on you. It's such a shame they weren't able to give them much in the way of interactions with each other...

Dineren

Banned
So how many hours have you all put into this game?

Over 160 here. Still going. I think I just want to finish all the affinity quests and major basic quests before I put it down. Kind of just want to extract as much story from it as possible. After 160 hours in you grow fond of the characters even though at first I didn't know or give a damn about generic character a or b (looking at you gwin).

I'm at 115 hours. I'm not sure how long I'll keep going, but I plan to at least build an Ares 90 and probably grind out affinity on a couple of characters to do their quests. I haven't really kept up with affinity at all so I doubt I'll have the patience to do all of them.

El Odio

Banned
I've only managed to sink in about 80hrs into the game thanks to the busier end of the month due to the holidays. I haven't even started chapter 10 or half of the later questlines it seems yet I'm already wishing to reexperience the whole starting feeling of the game. Getting your first look at Primordia and then spending hours exploring before finally heading to NLA is probably my top moment this gen.

Golnei

WHOA! I just found out that if your avatar is female the Definians in the game are male!

Assuming I'm not missing a joke, you mean in that one sidequest, not in general?

Hey GAF, do my answers to the main quest dialogs actually change anything? Just finished chapter 9.

Your decisions only matter in sidequests. You shouldn't worry about being locked out of anything important because of them in the main story.

And WOW at the final battle.
I was wondering the other day where the fuck was "they key we lost" and then all of a sudden it kicks in for the final, final boss. So much HYPEEEE.

I don't think I'll ever like Gwin, but the rest of the cast does grow on you. It's such a shame they weren't able to give them much in the way of interactions with each other...

They do talk to each other in battle, but the sound mixing is so terrible that it's really easy to not even notice it.

I was like 35 hours in before I noticed it when Alexa offered to teach Gwin some skell tricks so he could impress Irina.

Eusis

we are spoiled these days
this would have been an epic chore without fast travel

only the most dedicated fans would stick with it or people who play EVE Online
I'd have to have had a flying Skell from the word GO to justify never fast traveling. Airships were how we fast traveled in RPGs before picking a destination from a map was hip anyway (and ignoring how DQ games introduced a teleport spell early on...)

Golnei

They do talk to each other in battle, but the sound mixing is so terrible that it's really easy to not even notice it.

I was like 35 hours in before I noticed it when Alexa offered to teach Gwin some skell tricks so he could impress Irina.

I've heard a few of the post-battle conversations, and they are better than nothing; but all it does is make the lack of proper scenes and subplots that make use of those dynamics more apparent; even if I understand why it'd have been impractical to even attempt including them.

Especially since the main story focuses so heavily on the Elma/Lin/Tatsu trio and individual affinity missions have very insular casts; having a glimpse of a different focus for a single line feels more like a cruel taunt when it happens.

I've heard a few of the post-battle conversations, and they are better than nothing; but all it does is make the lack of proper scenes and subplots that make use of those dynamics more apparent; even if I understand why it'd have been impractical to even attempt including them.

Especially since the main story focuses so heavily on the Elma/Lin/Tatsu trio and individual affinity missions have very insular casts; having a glimpse of a different focus for a single line feels more like a cruel taunt when it happens.

Oh yeah, I'm with you in that I would love more opportunities to see the cast interact. Just wanted to point out the battle conversations since they are so easy to miss.

WHOA! I just found out that if your avatar is female the Definians in the game disguise themselves as male!

Holy shit, really? Jesus christ, how does this game keep surprising me.

random25

On the story side of things, what I can about it is that it's different. Maybe it did have some pacing issues but overall it's pretty unique as compared to how conventional JRPGs tackle their stories. I love it for what it is to be honest. The game makes you feel like you are part of a military force: your team called in for a mission, you get a debriefing, you perform the tasks and report back to base, whether it is a mission is accomplished or a failure. Traditionally, the game introduces you to a goal that is long-term, because you will only accomplish it at the end or near the end, like "kill that certain evil guy who is a threat to the world" or "you go on a long journey to drop that ring into the lava or something". While you are at that long journey to the goal you get distracted in-between with different side stories and quests, like "some princess got kidnapped you gotta rescue her" or "thugs invaded this village, you gotta stop them", then some twists and revelations gets inserted in between. In XCX, unless it requires you to do so, many side quest distractions are optional and can be taken at your own pace, and again the objectives given at the start of the chapter gets pretty much resolved at the end of the same chapter, with lingering questions and mysteries come into play for the upcoming chapters.

I think this kind of story-telling format just needs improvement on pacing and beefing up parts of the interactions in cutscenes. Too bad the next game (if there ever be one) will take on the traditional route before this kind of format gets refined. Well, regardless of future changes, more Xenoblade games will always be A-OK in my book!

Monolithsoft, please work on Lin's skell fanfiction on the next game please.

Neiteio

OH MAN

I was just exploring before taking on the next story mission (Ch. 4 or Ch. 5 — can't remember which) when I swam from Primordia northward past some tropical islands guarded by Prone, and then farther north to Sylvalum, with gently falling snow and aurora borealis and absolutely incredible geography.

Not that Primordia was any slouch in that department, but this is some straight-up Isaac Asimov cover art surrealism, with knotty sphere-top trees and ribcage-like mountains and white velvety mosses clinging to the tundra. It's... amazing.

Now I'm curious to see what the other three regions are like. <3

random25

OH MAN

I was just exploring before taking on the next story mission (Ch. 4 or Ch. 5 &#8212; can't remember which) when I swam from Primordia northward past some tropical islands guarded by Prone, and then farther north to Sylvalum, with gently falling snow and aurora borealis and absolutely incredible geography.

Not that Primordia was any slouch in that department, but this is some straight-up Isaac Asimov cover art surrealism, with knotty sphere-top trees and ribcage-like mountains and white velvety mosses clinging to the tundra. It's... amazing.

Now I'm curious to see what the other three regions are like. <3

It's not snow. It's spore. Just a correction. :p

Sylvalum is a magical place. It's my favorite.

Top Bottom