• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT2| Welcome to New L+A a.k.a. Read the Frakkin' Manual!

Steejee

I meant in terms of necessity. Taxis seem a bit pointless for the space between residential and Commercial, they are not very big areas comparatively. Also wondering where are all the R&D business centers for the AMs although I guess the Blade Tower could simply hold all of them.

Guess it depends if everyone runs around at 40mph+ like Cross does. In RL a half mile (10 minutes) is often used as a reference for the coverage radius of a mass transit station in presentations. 3/4 a mile is usually more my personal radius, 1 mile being okay if weather is nice. Residential district to Industrial would probably be at least a mile or two given you have to go the long way, so I could see a taxi being handy for those late nights at the diner.

More likely no one really thought about that and just wanted to have a futuristic taxi skin :p

Dineren

Banned
Don't you guys don't find it annoying to constantly have the control prompts on the screen? I turned those off once I got the hang of them.

I turned it off and had ended up missing a couple key features for probably 20 hours because of it so I turned it back on. I don't really need it anymore, but I'm used to it by now.

Golnei

Little stuff like Taxis being a thing makes me think the city is actually a lot bigger than what is represented in the game (for budget) reasons. I just find it really weird that there's multiple arm manufacturers and commercial stores which such a small residential area.

Budget and gameplay reasons. There'd be a lot of wasted space compared to what's essential from a functional perspective if they tried to depict a realistically-sized population centre, all of which would be resources better used elsewhere.

Vena

I beat all affinity missions of the marvelous H.B.
They weren't a challenge at all, and I got a police car Skell schematic in the end, which I found hilarious. H.B.'s voice actor and writing were great, and I appreciated the straight up "this is just a cocky guy trying to steal other people's missions to show off" characterisation far more than the horrible back stories other people received. I am only a sliver of a heart away from his last heart to heart, but I ran really dry on Normal Missions because I kept postponing chapter 10 to do all kinds of Affinity Missions. Now I either get Bozé to 4 hearts, although I hear horror stories about his mission, or cheese my way through chapter 10 with my new police car skell... more missions await me on the other side!

___Mia___
is better. She has probably the best story + (single :( ) affinity mission as her development arc.

Of course, I actually like Elma's arc as well, especially if you do "Then and Now".

Steejee

Don't you guys don't find it annoying to constantly have the control prompts on the screen? I turned those off once I got the hang of them.

I don't need them very often, but it's easy to forget some of the less frequently used controls without them shown. I don't find the display too distracting.

Budget and gameplay reasons. There'd be a lot of wasted space compared to what's essential from a functional perspective if they tried to depict a realistically-sized population centre, all of which would be resources better used elsewhere.

They also have the "Plausible if convenient" excuse that NLA is only 2 months old when you start and the city only really has the essentials (the Administrative and some of the Industrial districts) and that Residential/Commercial/Unfinished districts have only been under construction a little while since they weren't considered essential.

Griss

Feeling very burned out on this game at the moment.

When you're out in the field exploring it's glorious, but when you have to do a bunch of missions it becomes hour after hour of fast travel followed by dull exposition followed by fast travel followed by a fight that goes the same way as the other 1,000 fights followed by fast travel followed by a tedious collectible hunt that takes 20 minutes... and so on.

I just want to get through the story at this point. The ratio of bad normal missions or affinity missions to good ones is really poor, and there's way too many party characters so they can't explore much of said characters in the time each of them has.

I just did a mission at the water purification plant and it stood out because it was actually engaging and interesting. I was genuinely surprised, which speaks poorly of where I'm at with this game. Now I'm fast travelling around the globe looking for Nopon again... The more fast travelling for fetch quests I have to do the less this incredible world actually feels like a world. Having NLA as your base throughout the entire game was a mistake, I reckon. They should have had you set up forward bases in each of the continents that you return to. I'm so fucking sick of NLA at this stage it's unreal.

Oh well, the carrot on the stick at the moment is the flight module. Crazy to think that I'm 50 hours in and so little has happened in the story, though. It's not like the game is lacking in content (it has the opposite problem), it's just that most of it is focused in the wrong places.

random25

___Mia___
is better. She has probably the best story + (single :( ) affinity mission as her development arc.

Of course, I actually like Elma's arc as well, especially if you do "Then and Now".

Her whole fabulous adventure is an "affinity" mission when you think about it.

Would have loved more affinity missions from her though.

Xenoboy

Oh and by the way, fuck the "Miracle Worker" quest.
As soon as the second Fraisie appeared, I was ready to believe!! But no, just Delfinians...
When TWINN got in the skell, and I had to fight her through the small ledge on the cave entrance - wtf were they thinking? Most of my team - including me - eventually fell of the ledge into lava and could not get back up. I ended up climbing a small rock and auto-range-attacked the skell for 20min with occasional heals thrown in. I simply couldn't reach the stupid thing anymore, or my team member corpses. That fight was worse than me trying to storm the fortress in Bozés first AM where I uselessly kept fighting respawning guards for 40min...

I actually beat the mission with a Skell. Just go outside the cave get in the Skell and assemble your team. The enemy the went over to me and I wrecked their shit.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Cross-posted from the "What JRPG you playing now" thread, with some additions:

Well, I had off from work these last 2 weeks for the holiday. I spent the majority of my non-social time playing... you guessed it, Xenoblade X. 75 hours in, in the midst of Chapter 11 now, with my characters at level 50. Found a great spot grinding, near the
ruined capital
in Cauldros. Those spider-like creatures go down quickly with my level 30 skells and the shoulder G-Blaster weapon.

I doubt I'm gonna go through and recon 100% of all the worlds, since that seems like it would take forever... nor will I do all of the basic missions (just the ones that I already have the materials for). But I'll be happy with this for my "complete" playthrough:

-Beat the main story
-Beat all of the Affinity Missions
-Beat all of the Normal Missions (these are actually surprisingly interesting)
-Install all of the probes, find all of the landmarks (just have a few level 5 Mechanical probes to go)
-Fill out the collectopaedia
-My 4 lead characters all at level 60, BLADE rank 10

I'll have to grind a ton of affinity too, since the only characters I've been using are Elma, Lin and Irina. Saw a strategy online for grinding affinity once you get to postgame and can unlock special mission types, so I'll exploit that.

Anyways... I have 3 level 30 skells and I want to save up to replace with level 50. But that's taking forever, and I don't have enough Research Probes so I can only make 75k every time FrontierNav updates. Question: Where to get more Research Probes? Any way to speed up money making? 4 million for those skells is a lot of dough.

Also another question: looks like the final Affinity Mission with Lin and Elma requires 90% of Primordia to be analyzed. I think I'm at 56% or something. Do you need to run around town talking to people with the yellow text bubbles before you can complete the requirement to analyze a hex? Or say, if the hex has a legendary monster in it, just defeat that legendary monster without needing to talk to the people first?

And finally, what are some of the best weapons to buy for skells? I assume the G-blaster... but any others that may not be available in shops?

Golnei

Do you need to run around town talking to people with the yellow text bubbles before you can complete the requirement to analyze a hex? Or say, if the hex has a legendary monster in it, just defeat that legendary monster without needing to talk to the people first?

The bubbles only function as hints for the hexes, they're not required to complete them in the case of salvage or tyrants.

Though for some of them within NLA which complete in response to heart-to-hearts, you won't be able to trigger them unless you have the corresponding hint.

Also another question: looks like the final Affinity Mission with Lin and Elma requires 90% of Primordia to be analyzed. I think I'm at 56% or something. Do you need to run around town talking to people with the yellow text bubbles before you can complete the requirement to analyze a hex? Or say, if the hex has a legendary monster in it, just defeat that legendary monster without needing to talk to the people first?

No, you don't need to. You technically don't even need the probe either. If you find the treasure/kill the correct tyrant it will mark the hex as completed no matter what.

Fandangox

Guess it depends if everyone runs around at 40mph+ like Cross does. In RL a half mile (10 minutes) is often used as a reference for the coverage radius of a mass transit station in presentations. 3/4 a mile is usually more my personal radius, 1 mile being okay if weather is nice. Residential district to Industrial would probably be at least a mile or two given you have to go the long way, so I could see a taxi being handy for those late nights at the diner.

More likely no one really thought about that and just wanted to have a futuristic taxi skin :p

Nah I took into account everyone walking. I just walk a lot (well used to) and I think for the distance of the city as portrayed by the game Metrobuses would be far more efficient than Taxis.

Although then again, with how small the city is there is probably no need for buses to run on a schedule since people more likely than not work real close to where they live.

Neiteio

Is there any way to set the default gear of Lin and Elma as their fashion gear? When I go into their fashion gear list, I can't find their default clothing. They still have it, but I'd like to improve their stats with primary gear while keeping the appearance of their default gear, if possible.

Swimming to Sylvalum and seeing it come into view and then it turning night and seeing glowing spores everywhere when the music kicks in is one of my top 3 gaming moments this year. The swim was worth it.
This was my experience, too. Just amazing.

Golnei

Nah I took into account everyone walking. I just walk a lot (well used to) and I think for the distance of the city as portrayed by the game Metrobuses would be far more efficient than Taxis.

Monstrously inefficient public transport is probably the only thing they got right in painting New LA as an American settlement.

Is there any way to set the default gear of Lin and Elma as their fashion gear? When I go into their fashion gear list, I can't find their default clothing. They still have it, but I'd like to improve their stats with primary gear while keeping the appearance of their default gear, if possible.

Anything equipped as primary gear can't be set as fashion gear. You'll have to remove their armour or replace it with something else if you want to use their defaults as fashion gear.

Neiteio

This game is pretty much what the WiiU needed. It scratches an itch I'd been scratching with games on PS4 like the Souls series (learning the game's arcana, carefully avoiding danger) and GTAV (a seemingly boundless world, with new sights at every turn). At the same time, there's nothing quite like XCX in terms of how everything comes together. I'm trying to not be blinded by the honeymoon phase, but after last night's trip to Sylvalum, it's cracked my Top 5 for GOTY. I'm on a world-building high I haven't felt since arriving in Columbia in Bioshock Infinite in 2013, and what's incredible is this sense of magic is in a completely nonlinear open-world game.

Primordia alone could carry an entire game. It's the awe of Gaur Plains on steroids, with a perpetual sense of wonder. It's like if the first brontosaurus scene of the original Jurassic Park took place on Skull Island in Peter Jackson's King Kong, and if Skull Island were set in James Cameron's Avatar. And to think there are four other equally massive and varied and awe-inspiring continents. Mira is magic, man.

Anything equipped as primary gear can't be set as fashion gear. You'll have to remove their armour or replace it with something else if you want to use their defaults as fashion gear.
Ah, I see. Thanks, Golnei. :)

Poyunch

(Possible xenoform spoilers)

So I don't know if this ever gets resolve but I'm trying to be all political as the player is somewhat of an ambassador to all the alien races but almost everything the Orphe say is terrifying.

I'm just nodding my head smiling as they basically say, "Yeah I'm totally excited to exponentially increase our population substantially" but in my head I'm like, "This is all going to go terribly wrong."

Maybe I'm a space racist. D:

T-The Manon seem cool...

Xenoboy

So I don't know if this ever gets resolve but I'm trying to be all political as the player is somewhat of an ambassador to all the alien races but almost everything the Orphe say is terrifying.

T-The Manon seem cool...

To be fair, there
was only like 3 of them when you got them and their only way to reproduce had essentially vanquished. I'm all for our Bug overlords to start taking over.

PetrCobra

Feeling very burned out on this game at the moment.

When you're out in the field exploring it's glorious, but when you have to do a bunch of missions it becomes hour after hour of fast travel followed by dull exposition followed by fast travel followed by a fight that goes the same way as the other 1,000 fights followed by fast travel followed by a tedious collectible hunt that takes 20 minutes... and so on.

I just want to get through the story at this point. The ratio of bad normal missions or affinity missions to good ones is really poor, and there's way too many party characters so they can't explore much of said characters in the time each of them has.

I just did a mission at the water purification plant and it stood out because it was actually engaging and interesting. I was genuinely surprised, which speaks poorly of where I'm at with this game. Now I'm fast travelling around the globe looking for Nopon again... The more fast travelling for fetch quests I have to do the less this incredible world actually feels like a world. Having NLA as your base throughout the entire game was a mistake, I reckon. They should have had you set up forward bases in each of the continents that you return to. I'm so fucking sick of NLA at this stage it's unreal.

Oh well, the carrot on the stick at the moment is the flight module. Crazy to think that I'm 50 hours in and so little has happened in the story, though. It's not like the game is lacking in content (it has the opposite problem), it's just that most of it is focused in the wrong places.

Don't collect stuff for missions when you don't want to. Just shelve that mission and do something else. The tasks will get finished on their own as you collect the collectibles naturally. If you need enemy drops, buy them with Reward tickets.

I think the only times I actually went out of my way to go and collect something was for the Repair Job quest (because I wanted that skell) and for Off the Record missions.

Toth

I must say that combat in this game can be so weird. Case in point, I was struggling last night on the Chapter 5 boss. He wasn't very hard but he whittled away my allies' HP, keep focusing on my 4th despite my Taunts, and starting picking off my support until my character was the last one left. I tried again several times but I kept dying once everyone's HP decreased. I resisted the option to tone down the difficulty and after failing once again, I tried once again. This time, I completely owned the boss. I was stunned how easy it went done and I was like , "What the hell?". I did not turn down the difficulty. Is there some trick to appendages I was missing on the Huge monsters that helps kill these things faster?

Also, can anyone share their builds for Elma and Lin? I wonder if I am using the right arts for them. They also burn through their TP so quickly that once my main dies, it's game over...

PetrCobra

I must say that combat in this game can be so weird. Case in point, I was struggling last night on the Chapter 5 boss. He wasn't very hard but he whittled away my allies' HP, keep focusing on my 4th despite my Taunts, and starting picking off my support until my character was the last one left. I tried again several times but I kept dying once everyone's HP decreased. I resisted the option to tone down the difficulty and after failing once again, I tried once again. This time, I completely owned the boss. I was stunned how easy it went done and I was like , "What the hell?". I did not turn down the difficulty. Is there some trick to appendages I was missing on the Huge monsters that helps kill these things faster?

Also, can anyone share their builds for Elma and Lin? I wonder if I am using the right arts for them. They also burn through their TP so quickly that once my main dies, it's game over...

I think you can command them to keep their TP high. Press + in combat.

Steejee

Although then again, with how small the city is there is probably no need for buses to run on a schedule since people more likely than not work real close to where they live.

Based on the tech/timeline, I assumed no one actually drove their cars - all automated and electric, so a Taxi in NLA could just be an automated personal transport vehicle network - hail a cab, automated one pulls up, takes you wherever via optimized route. Things that cause slowdown in RL, like merging, stops, accidents, etc, wouldn't occur with such a network, so it actually works out better in some ways than having mass transit. Of course NLA does have stoplights, which would be pointless in such a setup, but maybe it's cause crazy assholes like BLADE members drive their Skells around the city.

The cars themselves totally scream 'American Excess' though, no one needs anything bigger than a smart car in NLA (aside from cargo transport), yet they're all big hooded four door vehicles.

Fun if completely tangential conversation. I like how XCX actually sets up a universe where you can talk about these sort of completely irrelevant things.

Timeaisis

Two questions:

- Do Skells share fuel? I don't see a separate gauge.
- Do I still level normally in my Skell?

50 hours in and there are still lots of questions. This game explains nothing, christ. And, yes, I've read the manual. Many times.

Two questions:

50 hours in and there are still lots of questions. This game explains nothing, christ. And, yes, I've read the manual. Many times.

If you use a magnifying glass, you can... maybe see the green fuel gagues beside each party member's face (or Skell head in this case) icon if you squint hard enough while looking through the magnifying glass.

You still level up while in Skells.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Two questions:

No, each skell has it's own gas tank.
Yes, you still level normally. Actually, you might level faster because you can take on higher level opponents.

webrunner

Two questions:

you only directly see yours, but there is a gauge next to the skell portraits (vertical) that shows you your ally fuel.

you level normally except there is apparently a penalty if you're killing stuff below your size.
edit: and your actual level as far as I know has NO bearing on your skell stats, although I could be wrong?

Insaniac

One of the biggest shortcomings in this game is that (as far as I can tell) there is very little that explains to you the myriad of different things. IE the random buffs and debuffs from weather, how in the hell am I supposed to glean what those are without looking it up in a guide or the Manual?

Another annoyance is how I have no idea how to use Overdrive yet in my Skell. I see that after you activate overdrive, it will tell you what buffs you get (for like a second, so if you read fast enough...) I've read that if you're in cockpit mode while overdrive "ends" you can extend it, but that doesn't seem to be the case

Anyways, Question: Any particular weapons that are best for Skells? I am using the Verus melee focused Skell frame so I have the Big buster sword (1 target, massive damage) and the other big sword that does a Huge swipe and hits multiple enemies.

another question: can any generic "ranged" art trigger ranged combo (and vice versa with melee).

Basically with combos as I understand it:

(Ranged art) --> (Any art) = Ranged combo
(Melee Art) --> (any art) = Melee combo

boxter432

Two questions:

this is answered but more clarity:

no not shared, the very left of each characters pic while in battle shows a gauge, but easiest to see their fuel in the barracks hangar menu. (this is also where you can refuel using miranium)

yes you level normally, but really fast compared to pre-skell, as when you are level 30, you can easily defeat level 40 enemies with skells. I have been leveling up characters I have mostly ignored ridiculously fast.
say someone is level 12 that you barely use. Have a team of 3 skells and then the level 12 as the 4th. Go to somewhere like a ganglion fortress and kill level 30/40+ prones/puges etc..and they'll be level 30 in minutes.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Anyways, Question: Any particular weapons that are best for Skells? I am using the Verus melee focused Skell frame so I have the Big buster sword (1 target, massive damage) and the other big sword that does a Huge swipe and hits multiple enemies.

Depends on the enemy. If you're up against mechs you should be using beam weapons everywhere since they get extra damage, especially the beam swords though since they get extra damage on top of their extra damage.

this is answered but more clarity:

no not shared, the very left of each characters pic while in battle shows a gauge, but easiest to see their fuel in the barracks hangar menu. (this is also where you can refuel using miranium)

yes you level normally, but really fast compared to pre-skell, as when you are level 30, you can easily defeat level 40 enemies with skells. I have been leveling up characters I have mostly ignored ridiculously fast.
say someone is level 12 that you barely use. Have a team of 3 skells and then the level 12 as the 4th. Go to somewhere like a ganglion fortress and kill level 30/40+ prones/puges etc..and they'll be level 30 in minutes.

Even faster than that if you give them some EXP Plus equipment to wear.

-Horizon-

I'm just nodding my head smiling as they basically say, "Yeah I'm totally excited to exponentially increase our population substantially" but in my head I'm like, "This is all going to go terribly wrong."

T-The Manon seem cool...

I told them straight up if there are too many of them people in NLA will freak out. And they agreed to keep their population levels low.

I don't know what would have happened if you chose to say that people would welcome them with open arms during that dialogue.

Somnid

Monstrously inefficient public transport is probably the only thing they got right in painting New LA as an American settlement.

Not the fact that despite having only a few hundred people and little resources with the fate of the human race at stake they've managed to build a massively capitalist society to the point people are murdering each other to steal their jobs?

rhandino

Banned

T-The Manon seem cool...
The
Orphe
are awesome but they are creepy as hell.

Like, there is the one
that will start talking about him having taken some measures in case humans betray them or the other one that it's baffled that the mimeosomes have so much fluff and offers to tweak them and make BLADES in more efficient murder machines
and that's not even getting in the sidequest where is revealed the
true nature of the Ovah and how a Orphean dead body could basically screw the entire ecosystem of the planet.

Voliko

Gah. Where the hell can I find more research probes? I think I have 4-5. But there has got to be more?

You basically just have to get lucky or start sweeping areas for treasure spots in hopes of coming across one that yields a research probe.

Irminsul

Quick question on the troll mission (aka "The Repair Job"):

If I have a mining probe on the a spot that has White Cometit (or whatever that's called in English), I just have to wait, right? I currently have 3/5 and now just enjoy the view...

Seik

Banned
Currently 75 hours in, level 50 with everyone.

Need money to buy my first lvl 50 skell and go kill that last boss that's been owning me that last three times I tried. ;_;

-Horizon-

The
Orphe
are awesome but they are creepy as hell.

Like, there is the one
that will start talking about him having taken some measures in case humans betray them or the other one that offers that it's baffled that the mimeosomes have so much fluff and offers to tweak them and make BLADES in more efficient murder machines
and that's not even getting in the sidequest where is revealed the
true nature of the Ovah and how a Orphean dead body could basically screw the entire ecosystem of the planet.

I remember that first one lol

Apparently they had something that would've taken out all of NLA if they were betrayed, glad to see the dialogue change after that though saying that they're looking into removing it since it wasn't needed anymore.

And based on what another one said, I want to actually see what happens when they get put in a hot spring >:D

Daknight

Wow...the last mission (murde case) I did was out of nowhere O_O

First walking between the building tigger it without me knowing and seeing a ma-non fall to their death was brutal. The end honestly made me go 'Why?!?' And 'WTF?!?'. Why Powell...why?!? His wife death was out of nowhere (over work I assume was the cause).

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

First walking between the building tigger it without me knowing and seeing a ma-non fall to their death was brutal. The end honestly made me go 'Why?!?' And 'WTF?!?'. Why Powell...why?!? His wife death was out of nowhere (over work I assume was the cause).

That one shook me pretty hard because I was looking for Hope so I could do her heart-to-heart at the time and I got a little worried that maybe she had finally snapped...

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Is there an option to get craft ingredients for stuff without going online?

So many things need Telethia parts and I'm not about to solo a level 99 for that :(

Not just the overwork, but the Man-on being insane about pizza and getting all furious and nasty about it complaining about everything.

Not to justify Powell's actions, but I sort of understand where he's coming from.

Is there an option to get craft ingredients for stuff without going online?

So many things need Telethia parts and I'm not about to solo a level 99 for that :(
At which point are you in the game?

The nemesis Telethia isn't so bad really. Soloing it after chapter 12 isn't hard at all if you get Ares 90 (and after that a proper non-skell build).

Top Bottom