• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT2| Welcome to New L+A a.k.a. Read the Frakkin' Manual!

Neiteio

It's not snow. Just a correction. :p

Sylvalum is a magical place. It's my favorite.
If it's not snow... Maybe spores?

Such an incredible region. I spent half of my time there being chased by enormous monsters, and at one point I ran off a cliff... and fell so far down that I literally gasped in real life, lol.

GWX

OH MAN

I was just exploring before taking on the next story mission (Ch. 4 or Ch. 5 — can't remember which) when I swam from Primordia northward past some tropical islands guarded by Prone, and then farther north to Sylvalum, with gently falling snow and aurora borealis and absolutely incredible geography.

Not that Primordia was any slouch in that department, but this is some straight-up Isaac Asimov cover art surrealism, with knotty sphere-top trees and ribcage-like mountains and white velvety mosses clinging to the tundra. It's... amazing.

Now I'm curious to see what the other three regions are like. <3

Oh, you're in for a treat! I haven't entered the very last continent myself, since Sylvalum is already so dangerous to walk around in (I'm level 40 with 3 lv 30 Skells in my party).

jonjonaug

Ummmm. Hard to say without spoiling but the quest you get afterwards is called:

Definian Love and its plot is about finding the right mate for a Definian. In the end both the new Definian as well as Erio reveal they are in love with you. The other quest is not about this at all but you get to fight a new enemy and get slightly better rewards in terms of money and exp.
I don't remember this one. Was it not tied to segment completion?

EDIT: Never mind, looked through the quote chain a little.

random25

If it's not snow... Maybe spores?

Such an incredible region. I spent half of my time there being chased by enormous monsters, and at one point I ran off a cliff... and fell so far down that I literally gasped in real life, lol.

I kinda ninja edited, but yeah it's spore. Out of all five continents, Sylvalum is so unique in that it never felt like it's inspired from Earth's environment. Feels like a total alien continent.

Neiteio

Oh, you're in for a treat! I haven't entered the very last continent myself, since Sylvalum is already so dangerous to walk around in (I'm level 40 with 3 lv 30 Skells in my party).
Despite my party's average level being in the teens, we managed to install several probes in Sylvalum. It was hilariously daring... Sometimes I'd tiptoe around lv. 50 monsters, other times I would zigzag around their agro zones, like I was threading a needle, lol. Seeing how far inland you can make it, and how much progress you can make along the way, is so incredibly satisfying.

Astral Dog

Quick question; I'm seeing a lot of graphical pop in while walking around NLA, and I even downloaded the data packs for the game. Is this normal?

Also, does it matter if the data packs are on a secondary USB storage device, or does it absolutely need to be on the wii's internal memory.

Yes, pop in wont dissapear even if the game has the data packs installed, its clearly worse on NLA but the game has to load alot of things at once, so its somehing you can get used to.

It depends on the USB device but generally i read that an external one is better than the hard drive on the Wii U, i think it was on the DF Article.

Golnei

I think this kind of story-telling format just needs improvement on pacing and beefing up parts of the interactions in cutscenes. Too bad the next game (if there ever be one) will take on the traditional route before this kind of format gets refined. Well, regardless of future changes, more Xenoblade games will always be A-OK in my book!

Monolithsoft, please work on Lin's skell fanfiction on the next game please.

I'd definitely like it if they continued trying to refine this structure - the game's narrative and presentation has some notable weak points, but it allows them to involve the player in the world in a different way to most JRPGs. In any case, regardless of what they do, I want them to continue to experiment, and not return to too much of a traditional structure.

Also, I'd hope Lin's work wouldn't take up too much of the spotlight - Nopon fanfiction demands more attention.
tumblr_o0edwz1mmr1s7vp77o1_1280.jpg

Jackano

Also, I'd hope Lin's work wouldn't take up too much of the spotlight - Nopon fanfiction demands more attention.

I wonder, does this Nopon wear a Santa hat because we're playing during Christmas period, or is it just like that all the time?

Mephala

It's not snow. It's spore. Just a correction. :p

Sylvalum is a magical place. It's my favorite.

I really like it too though I had an immediate panic when I realised my characters were running around without helmets...
until I remembered they were mims.
I also found it difficult to move around without attracting high level enemies early on.

Astral Dog

Well so whats your favorite continent in terms of looks?

I think it would be

Noctilum>Primordia>Sylvalium>Cauldros>Oblivia.

Of course all of them look great,
Noctilum is tricky to navigate and kinda tedious, but it has that tropical forest look, and alot of diversity on its environments,

Primordia is somewhat simple or typical but it reminds me most of the first game and has alot of great vistas and those coral things, interesting rock formations too, and of course NLA with the crystalized gel and the moons.

Sylvalium just looks unique, great weather/time changes, weird monsters and as an environment looks truly alien,

Cauldros looks good too, its a lava place but there are interesting locations like the purple lava, the ruins or the Ganglion palace.

Oblivia is the most boring, too much brown and mostly the giant rings and bones stand out,.

I picked up an "activity log" from a treasure in Sylvalum. I have no idea what it is, and it's not included under "Important Items" in the inventory.

What is it?

Neiteio

I've only visited two of the five continents so far (Primordia and Sylvalum), but I already want a sequel (X2?) that takes place on the other side of Mira and explores another five continents.

Imagine if an NX sequel starts you off on five new continents... and then when you think you've beat the game, there's a twist reminiscent of Pokemon Gold/Silver, and you can visit the five continents from the first game. O_O

random25

I'd definitely like it if they continued trying to refine this structure - the game's narrative and presentation has some notable weak points, but it allows them to involve the player in the world in a different way to most JRPGs. In any case, regardless of what they do, I want them to continue to experiment, and not return to too much of a traditional structure.

Why not both? We still need Magical Girl Verus AU fanfiction in our lives.
RIP Wels.

I really like it too though I had an immediate panic when I realised my characters were running around without helmets... until I remembered they were mims. I also found it difficult to move around without attracting high level enemies early on.

The only time I got ambushed in Sylvalum is when those elephant-looking things are crazed during the appearance of aurora. Never thought I'd aggro those things when I thought they are always peaceful lol. I got the hang of the surprises by just running like crazy.

I think it would be

Noctilum>Primordia>Sylvalium>Cauldros>Oblivia.

Of course all of them look great,
Noctilum is tricky to navigate and kinda tedious, but it has that tropical forest look, and alot of diversity on its environments,

Primordia is somewhat simple or typical but it reminds me most of the first game and has alot of great vistas and those coral things, interesting rock formations too, and of course NLA with the crystalized gel and the moons.

Sylvalium just looks unique, great weather/time changes, weird monsters and as an environment looks truly alien,

Cauldros looks good too, its a lava place but there are interesting locations like the purple lava, the ruins or the Ganglion palace.

Oblivia is the most boring, too much brown and mostly the giant rings and bones stand out,.

1. Sylvalum - the very unique continent in the game
2. Noctilum - when you reach the top part of the continent...oh boy.
3. Oblivia - So underrated imo. Looks so great at night, with those rings at the background.
4. Cauldros - A continent with a lot of enemy fortresses. And that giant titan looking monster makes me feel like I'm in some middle-earth fantasy continent.
5. Primordia - It's really good looking, feels like Veldt from FF6. It just so happens the 4 looks better.

mAcOdIn

I ended up really liking this game. I can't decide if I like the story better than the original Xenoblade, however, the original was definitely narratively better but I like Elma better than Shulk as a protagonist. Sorry Cross, Avatar, or whatever, Elma's definitely the main character.

Surprisingly, I actually liked Lin. I thought I'd hate her, when all the censorship stuff came out in advance I was preparing myself for the worst in regards to her character, but she's never presented that way at all.

The ending leaves a lot to be desired though.

Jackano

I've only visited two of the five continents so far (Primordia and Sylvalum), but I already want a sequel (X2?) that takes place on the other side of Mira and explores another five continents.

Imagine if an NX sequel starts you off on five new continents... and then when you think you've beat the game, there's a twist reminiscent of Pokemon Gold/Silver, and you can visit the five continents from the first game. O_O

IIRC one of the creators already said next game will be different, so I don't expect to see Mira again in a true, full sequel. I don't even expect an open-world :(

However the never-coming NX version (Nintendo never do the logic thing to do) IMO should feature a tiny new continent easily explorable from the start (so even experienced players have new content from thestart), and another badass one for more endgame content.

random25

I imagine an imaginary sequel will be like this:

After finishing an early chapter where you can freely explore, you try to swim the ocean east-side to see if there is a boundary/wall or if you'll loop to the west-side. Then you noticed that after reaching the border of the map, you pushed through without banging into a wall, and you never looped to the other side. Then a landmark indicator appears "Landmark Reached: Noctilum Waters"

0_O

Malus

Does he only appear post-game? Because I can't find him in there at all, and
I found the part of the cave that's all glowing lavender.

I've beaten the game so yeah that's a safe bet.

edit: Does anyone else play with their tv's saturation setting turned up a bit? Really helps bring out the color for people who think it's washed out looking.

Sylvalum is the best in terms of just how alien and mysterious it all looks, even if it's a bit lacking in variety. Primordia and Noctilum are neck and neck in terms of lush foilage and variety of terrain. Cauldros has phenomenal terrain variety but the theme kinda holds it back a bit. Oblivia looks great but it's probably the simplest of all the maps.

Gambit

I've only been to three continents but so far Primordia is my least favourite out of them.

Don't get me wrong, it's breathtaking but the others surprised me more. My favourite os far is Noctilium. It is beautiful, simply beautiful. Also with the areas where the forest died off.

But the biggest surprise for me so far is Oblivia, simply because of the ruins. They just fuel my imagination. The ring! Just wow.

Can't wait for the other two.

Arklite

Chapter 11.
Man...I felt completely disconnected with what happened and what I would've chosen to happen. The camera even zooms in on your character like it's going to let you have a choice, and then does it for you.

Also just barely started using the squad scouting after realizing it's basically a Dragon's Dogma pawn system. Too bad it's only 30 minutes, but it's fun using other customs.

Edit: didn't see there was a spoiler thread

Finished the game and it was fucking excellent. Definitely one of the best I've played this year.

Menthuss

I really like it too though I had an immediate panic when I realised my characters were running around without helmets... until I remembered
they were mims.
I also found it difficult to move around without attracting high level enemies early on.

Please spoiler tag the first bit of your post. That's a pretty big twist you just casually spoiled.

Chastten

Banned
For the past week or so I've been wreaking havov with my full team of base Ares 70's and Ares 90's and it's been fun one shotting everything in the game except for 5 or 6 tyrants.

Then I decided to finally get some augments and upgrades but this shit is confusing. Not to mention time consuming. Farming for 3 Ares' took me one night, farming for all the right XX augments is gonna take me days :O

Diffense

Chapter 11.
Man...I felt completely disconnected with what happened and what I would've chosen to happen. The camera even zooms in on your character like it's going to let you have a choice, and then does it for you.

Also just barely started using the squad scouting after realizing it's basically a Dragon's Dogma pawn system. Too bad it's only 30 minutes, but it's fun using other customs.

It's 120 minutes if you pay for them at the scout console in NLA's admin district instead of recruiting the ones you find in the field.

AlanOC91

So I got this for Christmas and I'm about 3 hours into the game (just got assigned a "clan" or something, can't think of the name).

I have a gripe with the game. Combat seems to take an age compared to Xenoblade Chronicles.

My main character seems to do very little damage with his Machine Gun and not much more with melee attacks.

I know you can combo, like knockdown and then a move but it doesn't seem to improve the pace too much.

Am I doing something wrong? Also, god dayum there is a lot of dialogue towards the beginning of the game.

Also, I'm playing on a 4k tv. Can the font be increased? :(

Delstius

So I got this for Christmas and I'm about 3 hours into the game (just got assigned a "clan" or something, can't think of the name).

I have a gripe with the game. Combat seems to take an age compared to Xenoblade Chronicles.

My main character seems to do very little damage with his Machine Gun and not much more with melee attacks.

I know you can combo, like knockdown and then a move but it doesn't seem to improve the pace too much.

Am I doing something wrong? Also, god dayum there is a lot of dialogue towards the beginning of the game.

Also, I'm playing on a 4k tv. Can the font be increased? :(

You can't increase the font sadly.

As for the combat it will get faster as you level up, gear up, experiment with the classes and level up your arts and skills.

OH MAN

I was just exploring before taking on the next story mission (Ch. 4 or Ch. 5 — can't remember which) when I swam from Primordia northward past some tropical islands guarded by Prone, and then farther north to Sylvalum, with gently falling snow and aurora borealis and absolutely incredible geography.

Not that Primordia was any slouch in that department, but this is some straight-up Isaac Asimov cover art surrealism, with knotty sphere-top trees and ribcage-like mountains and white velvety mosses clinging to the tundra. It's... amazing.

Now I'm curious to see what the other three regions are like. <3

Swimming to Sylvalum and seeing it come into view and then it turning night and seeing glowing spores everywhere when the music kicks in is one of my top 3 gaming moments this year. The swim was worth it.

Haha, these Ma-nons are really killing me. I absolutely love Monolith putting these details into NLA.

Come back to this spot at night :)

Don't you guys don't find it annoying to constantly have the control prompts on the screen? I turned those off once I got the hang of them.

Fandangox

Little stuff like Taxis being a thing makes me think the city is actually a lot bigger than what is represented in the game (for budget) reasons. I just find it really weird that there's multiple arm manufacturers and commercial stores which such a small residential area.

Don't you guys don't find it annoying to constantly have the control prompts on the screen? I turned those off once I got the hang of them.
I turned it off, but then I found myself forgetting some commands, so I just enabled them. The main reason I had them off anyway was in case I wanted to take screenshots, but I would have still had to go into the menu and remove the rest of the HUD, so I figured it was pointless leaving them off. I just barely take any screenshots as a result of that (and since I'm offline most of the time). :/

Anyway, Sylvalum is my favorite continent so far. Just swimming all the way there felt like an adventure. I made it a point to first explore it on foot, and boy, was it worth it. I kept panning the camera and marveling at the design. There was be one ramp in the distance I'd make a beeline for, then on the way I'd see another point of interest and go there instead. Then night hits and the particles fly past you while you're running and that music...just wow. I'm not sure if this happens every time, but I found this upward pathway to the east of Sylvalum and when I started moving along it, dense fog suddenly appeared. It was dark, and I couldn't see 10 feet in front of me, but I pressed on. It seemed to go on forever, but the fog cleared right into a Northern Lights condition, and I appeared in a grove-like area with peaceful Indigens. It was seriously breathtaking. Probably one of my favorite gaming moments of the year.

rhandino

Banned
Little stuff like Taxis being a thing makes me think the city is actually a lot bigger than what is represented in the game (for budget) reasons. I just find it really weird that there's multiple arm manufacturers and commercial stores which such a small residential area.
I think the residential area is for civilians while BLADE operatives live in the barracks which I assume are part of the wall around the city...

And the fact that there are cars and taxis... idk, maybe the civilians don't have the ability to dash and moon jump just like the main character because the city is legit big if you try to only walk or stroll.

Steejee

A large chunk of NLA's population should be BLADE members, and the Administrative district is by far the most built up area (three massive towers plus sublevels), so I just figured most everyone that was awake was living in those towers and the residential area was the much smaller population of non-BLADE people who were needed on the White Whale, but not planetside.

There's a guy in the park who talks about that - he was a stellar navigator on the ship, a critical role, but on the surface he's opted out of BLADE and decided to be a poet as there's not much to do with his skills.

Another NPC mentions that very few can afford cars, they're a total luxury item, so you'd want something like taxis for people to get around when they don't need a transport.

Hadn't even thought about the ring containing more residences. One NPC near the west gate says all the transport pods the awake population landed in were stashed behind a door in the ring.

Fandangox

I think the residential area is for civilians while BLADE operatives live in the barracks which I assume are part of the wall around the city...

And the fact that there are cars and taxis... idk, maybe the civilians don't have the ability to dash and moon jump just like the main character because the city is legit big if you try to only walk or stroll.

A large chunk of NLA's population should be BLADE members, and the Administrative district is by far the most built up area (three massive towers plus sublevels), so I just figured most everyone that was awake was living in those towers and the residential area was the much smaller population of non-BLADE people who were needed on the White Whale, but not planetside.

There's a guy in the park who talks about that - he was a stellar navigator on the ship, a critical role, but on the surface he's opted out of BLADE and decided to be a poet as there's not much to do with his skills.

Another NPC mentions that very few can afford cars, they're a total luxury item, so you'd want something like taxis for people to get around when they don't need a transport.

Hadn't even thought about the ring containing more residences. One NPC near the west gate says all the transport pods the awake population landed in were stashed behind a door in the ring.

I meant in terms of necessity. Taxis seem a bit pointless for the space between residential and Commercial, they are not very big areas comparatively. Also wondering where are all the R&D business centers for the AMs although I guess the Blade Tower could simply hold all of them.

ys45

I find it hard to let the game go after finishing last chapter lol
I know I said there was too much farming for the end game but should I bother with it ?

How hard is it to get those 60 Skells ?
And is it normal that I still have not encounter the quests for the lvl 5 skills ?

webrunner

THere's a dude standing on a building in the commercial district who says "How did I get up here?
We're all mimeosomes
, anyone can do it"

And is it normal that I still have not encounter the quests for the lvl 5 skills ?

You probably have, but they don't present as such. They're the
Off the Record
missions that show up, but I think they all require flight despite the fact you get the first one super early.

wasted talents for the White Whale crew

WVW69iu3BJ04sHqzcG

I swear when I passed by this house last it was a police car, not a taxi

Dee Dee

I beat all affinity missions of the marvelous H.B.
They weren't a challenge at all, and I got a police car Skell schematic in the end, which I found hilarious. H.B.'s voice actor and writing were great, and I appreciated the straight up "this is just a cocky guy trying to steal other people's missions to show off" characterisation far more than the horrible back stories other people received. I am only a sliver of a heart away from his last heart to heart, but I ran really dry on Normal Missions because I kept postponing chapter 10 to do all kinds of Affinity Missions. Now I either get Bozé to 4 hearts, although I hear horror stories about his mission, or cheese my way through chapter 10 with my new police car skell... more missions await me on the other side!

Oh and by the way, fuck the "Miracle Worker" quest.
As soon as the second Fraisie appeared, I was ready to believe!! But no, just Delfinians...
When TWINN got in the skell, and I had to fight her through the small ledge on the cave entrance - wtf were they thinking? Most of my team - including me - eventually fell of the ledge into lava and could not get back up. I ended up climbing a small rock and auto-range-attacked the skell for 20min with occasional heals thrown in. I simply couldn't reach the stupid thing anymore, or my team member corpses. That fight was worse than me trying to storm the fortress in Bozés first AM where I uselessly kept fighting respawning guards for 40min...

Top Bottom