• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT2| Welcome to New L+A a.k.a. Read the Frakkin' Manual!

Jisgsaw

Just beat Chapter 12:

Unfortunately, I got spoiled that Elma had a "true form" by accidentally clicking a spoiler tag. That said, I don't think I 100% expected her to be a xeno. I did notice when she talked about humanity she phrased her words in a way that hinted she wasn't actually part of humanity. I did wonder how people learned about the coming battle that would destroy Earth so Elma warning them makes sense. I'm glad we can switch between Elma's forms.

On to the post-game!

Chap.12 spoilers:
That Elma is an alien is heavily implied during the whole game. I wasn't spoiled but guessed that at around ch. 5 I think.

And yeah, I do hope we get a sequel.
My main complain with the game is the story. Not that I mind it is pretty light, it's rather that they raise an incredible amount of questions they simply don't answer. They really should've marketed the game as a prologue imo, all that would have bothered me less then.

Irminsul

Anything you can do during a magnetic storm in Oblivia to not, well, die? Happened the first time for me and I just fast travelled because that resets the weather... but that can't be the only thing to do, can it?

For those looking for research probes, I just found another G5. In the hex SE of Noctilum 216, on a small rock promontory into the ocean, surrounded by level 44 adseculas. Definitely need Skells to get it, but probably not flight. It looks jumpable. I think it took Mechanical 3.

Somnid

Anything you can do during a magnetic storm in Oblivia to not, well, die? Happened the first time for me and I just fast travelled because that resets the weather... but that can't be the only thing to do, can it?

Hide under ledges, craft augments, use skell, have really high hp.

For those looking for research probes, I just found another G5. In the hex SE of Noctilum 216, on a small rock promontory into the ocean, surrounded by level 44 adseculas. Definitely need Skells to get it, but probably not flight. It looks jumpable. I think it took Mechanical 3.
There's also a G6 in the Delusian Summit or whatever it's called, on top of some high rocks. Probably need flight but I don't remember what skill level.

Yeah, I finally beat Chapter 9, upgraded my Arts and switched around my parties arts so I was finally able to beat the boss.

Still, I'm not exactly looking forward to later boss fights.

Malus

To me, the planet Mira itself is a character. Much like Columbia and Rapture in the BioShock games, or the Spencer Estate in Resident Evil, or Clock Town in Majora's Mask, or Crocodile Isle in DKC2. They can up the ante in the next game, but Mira itself will remain one of the most incredible and multi-faceted characters in games.

XCX is more than the sums of its parts. The way the geology, flora, fauna and natural phenomena all come together as you explore, with the particular flavor and atmosphere this game has from the OST, art direction and general premise, makes it feel special. :)

I think the OST will end up being the sticking point for me, despite how divided people are on it.

So nah so fern only has 5k views on youtube :(

oni-link

How do you get skells that fly? I have two and both jump and turn into cars but that's it

I'm also unsure how to buy weapons that will give me good arts in skells

Do I need to get one for each member in my team? I'm stuck on a battle in chapter 9 and feel like I probably need to do this, but they cost a ton and the game doesn't really tell you how they work

How do you get skells that fly? I have two and both jump and turn into cars but that's it

I'm also unsure how to buy weapons that will give me good arts in skells

Do I need to get one for each member in my team? I'm stuck on a battle in chapter 9 and feel like I probably need to do this, but they cost a ton and the game doesn't really tell you how they work
You get a quest for the flight module after chapter 9 is over.

To see the art the weapon will give to you, press R in the shop when you're looking at the weapon.

And yeah you need to get one for each of your active team member - i.e. you need 4. Then you can register them for whoever is in your team.

How much are you making money per tick at the moment? If you're making low money, you might wanna check the pictures as to how you should set up the research probes.

Speaking of missable stuff, is there a list of missable events and where and when they appear?
Seemingly only one thing is missable.

(possible spoiler about chapter 9:)
Lao's heart-to-hearts

Wiseblade

That feeling when you Special Complete a Squad Task solo at the last second.

But it's a real shame people don't seem to really participate in the multiplayer activities in conquest Squads. Reward Ticket grinding wouldn't be so tedious if I wasn't doing all the work myself.

TheMoon

Ok. Finally getting this Wednesday thanks to Amazon finally getting back in stock. I'm excited to finally be late to the party on this.

Get ready now and download the data packs, read the manual (PDF link in the OP) and bookmark the OP with all the links and helpful posts contributed by your fellow gaffers :)

Holy shit at the difficulty spike in chapter 9. I was level 29 and getting my arse whooped by the bosses and I'd been playing for over 60 hours. I had to grind for a bit until I reached level 36 and I ran out of money to purchase a third skell so I had to sell a few of the supreme bonuses I'd been saving up. Does the game get really hard now or is this just a hard part of the game?

-Horizon-

I told them we will welcome them with open arms, and now they are everywhere. EVERYWHERE. It is crazy - I flooded NLA.

The mission with the ancient tree from
the prone
was hilarious though. XD

Hey by the way, who did you marry the big fat guy on the Ma-Non ship to? I picked the shy girl, he sounded like he had actual feelings for her.
After that I did the "Forbidden Love" mission, and my boyfriend decided to check in on me just as the final dialogue took place. I had a lot to explain about the game.
At least I have a tuxedo now.

Something to the effect of every generation will remember the gratitude they have for humans saving their species.

So I'm betting on that.

I can no longer tell if this option is a good thing or a bad thing lol

I mean with my choice of limiting them, there are a couple here and there and quite a few on the ma-non ship but it doesn't feel D:

This game yo, this game lol

Dee Dee

I know I am not the only one that cheesed chapter 9 by recruiting a level 60 player avatar. Don't beat yourselves up about it guys, everybody agrees that fight is quite the difficulty spike.
Unless you maybe read the manual? Haha! /jk

(Seriously though, I am starting chapter 10 with three skells, and my level 40/32/32/30 party. Can I do it?)
I can no longer tell if this option is a good thing or a bad thing lol

I mean with my choice of limiting them, there are a couple here and there and quite a few on the ma-non ship but it doesn't feel D:

This game yo, this game lol

I think the difference is not as big as I might have made it sound.
It's just that at the time I did not realize that they would eat all the plants. That poor woman tending her hedges in the residential district...

Malus

I know I am not the only one that cheesed chapter 9 by recruiting a level 60 player avatar. Don't beat yourselves up about it guys, everybody agrees that fight is quite the difficulty spike.

(Seriously though, I am starting chapter 10 with three skells, and my level 40/32/32/30 party. Can I do it?)

I lowered the difficulty for Chapter 9 lol. At the time I wasn't really feeling the game too much, otherwise I probably woulda tried to figure it out or at least look up a good build.

I beat chapter 10 with 2 level 50 Skells :)

It wasn't hard. It was more stupid with the amount of crap they throw at you at once. It was more unfair than anything.

I don't know much about balance in games like this but dealing with mobs is a regular thing.

-Horizon-

It wasn't hard. It was more stupid with the amount of crap they throw at you at once. It was more unfair than anything.

Diffense

Has anyone had the game lock up on them in the affinity chart when pressing X to view a character's details. I've had it happen to me more than once.

finalflame

I lowered the difficulty for Chapter 9 lol. At the time I wasn't really feeling the game too much, otherwise I probably woulda tried to figure it out or at least look up a good build.

I beat chapter 10 with 2 level 50 Skells :)

I got murdered my first 3 tries. Refused to lower the difficulty, because allegedly it can and "should" be beatable at the required level.

I did some optimizing of my builds/arts/skills and tried again. The thing about this game is that sometimes the first 20 seconds of a multi-enemy encounter can determine whether you'll succeed or just wipe. The key to me was getting at least two of the adds down as fast as possible. With the total incoming damage significantly lowered it was just a matter of paying attention to the Soul Voices and QTEs.

For the second part, having a full team of Skells helped.

Schuhu

Neo Member
Done with the main quest after 80h weeey

Silent protagonist ist the most stupid thing ever in any game geez, would've made this game so much better if you were more than a rock in fancy clothes.

My party dealt no damage til the bitter end, if the damage numbers after Overdrive (my damage / complete damage with party) are any indication I must've dealt 95% of all damage the whole game.

Malus

Has anyone had the game lock up on them in the affinity chart when pressing X to view a character's details. I've had it happen to me more than once.

Nah. I did get a glitch once where I couldn't control my character and they just started walking back and forth, but that coulda been a controller thing.

edit; Oh man. I just started up the game and it's just me in my Ares 90 staring down Heyreddin the Territorial in Primordia as he slowly walks towards me/the camera. This game is just full of awesome moments like that.

Done with the main quest after 80h weeey

Silent protagonist ist the most stupid thing ever in any game geez, would've made this game so much better if you were more than a rock in fancy clothes.

My party dealt no damage til the bitter end, if the damage numbers after Overdrive (my damage / complete damage with party) are any indication I must've dealt 95% of all damage the whole game.

I really liked customizing my character and making little dialogue choices, but a good strong main protagonist is always welcome. There are some games that have both dialogue choices and a good main lead.

Vena

What's a heart-to-heart? I'm on chapter 10 and still have no idea.

They are scripted (and date to specific times of day) little meetings between Cross and the various party members doing things around the city. Its offers up some more character development and such, and lets you glimpse on characters during their "days off" since they can't be in your party when doing it.

Diffense

Yes, it's been a common problem and reported here a few times by different people.

OK, good to know. I always save before going into the affinity chart character details now. I would recommend everyone do that unless you want to risk losing progress.

To me, the planet Mira itself is a character. Much like Columbia and Rapture in the BioShock games, or the Spencer Estate in Resident Evil, or Clock Town in Majora's Mask, or Crocodile Isle in DKC2. They can up the ante in the next game, but Mira itself will remain one of the most incredible and multi-faceted characters in games.

XCX is more than the sums of its parts. The way the geology, flora, fauna and natural phenomena all come together as you explore, with the particular flavor and atmosphere this game has from the OST, art direction and general premise, makes it feel special. :)

I have a similar sentiment to NLA. The city is, literally, alive. The design and writing really makes me feel like these NPC s are living, struggling on Mira with their friends and teammates. Everyone is talking about their teams, livelihoods and responsibilities. Some of them are caught by the past, hating xeno to the death while reminiscing their lives with their family members who are no longer by their side, while some of them are opening their heart, accepting the reality and trying to take part in rebuilding the legacy of human. After the introduction of other xenos, there are changes. Different kinds of opinion and reactions are presented by different NPC. The writing continues to evolve through the progression of story. This is fascinating and, as you said in the previous thread, magic.

oni-link

You get a quest for the flight module after chapter 9 is over.

To see the art the weapon will give to you, press R in the shop when you're looking at the weapon.

And yeah you need to get one for each of your active team member - i.e. you need 4. Then you can register them for whoever is in your team.

How much are you making money per tick at the moment? If you're making low money, you might wanna check the pictures as to how you should set up the research probes.

I'm making 40k in money and 20k in the other stuff (which I just dump into arms manufacturers)

I have about 3m right now, it was closer to 4m before I bought a 2nd skell and kitted it out with the best stuff in the store

Is it best to have a mix of heavy/light/medium skells in your 4 man team?

Darth_Caedus

No longer canonical
Just got my first Skell. Early impression is that it freakin sucks. It attracts unwanted attention, and does like no damage. I'm better on foot.

Schuhu

Neo Member
Just got my first Skell. Early impression is that it freakin sucks. It attracts unwanted attention, and does like no damage. I'm better on foot.

Buy the one with the E scythe, grants bonus damage from behind and one hits most normal mobs. Or the big swords with 5-figure force numbers, for 200 fuel they pack a serious punch

The Goat

Did you upgrade / equip new weapons on it? I had a few additonal weapons / armor that I was able to equip. I only have 3 choices during combat on my Skell, but it wrecks shit. The ability to bind an enemy seems to help a lot during most battles as well. Biggest complaint about Skell fights are how shitty it moves around. It's like I'm on ice. I've fallen off so many cliff sides during large battles. It's frustrating.

Vena

Well of course you want to replace it ASAP, it's useful before hitting level 30 though!

Of course. With a sniper rifle, you can kill a lot of higher level stuff and quickly level up.

I did sell all of my Frame-30s, though, they were dead space after reaching Frame-50s. Trying to decide, now, what Frame-60 to give to Elma, either upgrading her current Mastema to 60 or just give her the Ares. I just don't trust the AI with fuel consumption, and Ares doesn't have Night Cage (broke as fuck). Mastema and Amdusias Frame-60s are massive tanks, so you don't have to be as worried with them as the 50s.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Damnit, Collectopaedia and artefact are gone. Even Xenoblade Chronicles 3D kept them. SMH. Is this true for the European version too? Given the voiced dialogue, cutscenes, etc. and sheer size of the script I imagine NOE and NOA shared an English translation again.

Top Bottom