• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT2| Welcome to New L+A a.k.a. Read the Frakkin' Manual!

Insaniac

Damnit, Collectopaedia and artefact are gone. Even Xenoblade Chronicles 3D kept them. SMH. Is this true for the European version too? Given the voiced dialogue, cutscenes, etc. and sheer size of the script I imagine NOE and NOA shared an English translation again.

there is a collectopedia in the game, is that what you're talking about?

Reverend Funk

Comfy Penetration
I'm having alot of trouble with the boss in the definian downfall quest. Is there some trick I'm missing or is it just tough as shit?

TheMoon

Damnit, Collectopaedia and artefact are gone. Even Xenoblade Chronicles 3D kept them. SMH. Is this true for the European version too? Given the voiced dialogue, cutscenes, etc. and sheer size of the script I imagine NOE and NOA shared an English translation again.

What are you talking about? The Collectopedia is in there.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Chap.12 spoilers:
That Elma is an alien is heavily implied during the whole game. I wasn't spoiled but guessed that at around ch. 5 I think.

And yeah, I do hope we get a sequel.
My main complain with the game is the story. Not that I mind it is pretty light, it's rather that they raise an incredible amount of questions they simply don't answer. They really should've marketed the game as a prologue imo, all that would have bothered me less then.

Where did they imply it? I'm not good at catching small hints liked this so I honestly don't know.

I've been doing Professor B's quests and every time he uses
the miramobile
this song starts playing that's a real bop. Anyone know what song it is?

ReBirFh

Uhuu my copy just arrived and they forgot to tax!! (in Brazil the import tax is 60% of the price of the product + shipping)

wheapon

If you master a class can you use the weapons across all classes?

Yes, you can. Keep in mind that arts are tied to weapons so you can mix and match arts you've previously learned based on your weapon choices.

You have to master the second stage class to unlock the weapons, though. The first one does not unlock them.

Mael

Just got my skell license!
No flying yet but by god does it makes the map look small now!
Loving my time so far.
40hrs in, the exploration is top notch with plenty of moments.
I don't feel like I'm overleveling and I'm trying all the quests I can, way better balance than in XenoWii.
I'm in Chap 6 I think, I was doing a required mission (one with Doug) for the chapter mission, had to go to 3 points to record data from a plant that's making xenos come close.
the last one I drop my mech near a named turtle thing.
Ensues an epic fight between me, Elma and Lin and the monster where I basically revive them every time I can.
He never managed to chain me.
I could have used the skell, but I risked having it break so on foot the whole time.
To finish the quest I have to beat a big monster with a horde of smaller monsters.
I started figthing on foot like usual.
Got wiped, retried, same.
So I decided to wipe the rabble with the skell and finish on foot.
Finished the mission that way.
I really love how the skell pretty much change everything!

WVW69iv8nxwFXkpLQY

k...

Those who've made it to end-game, did you purchase gear often or at all during the early game?

I've only played for a few days so far, at level 18, and have been dumping my Miranium into the Arms dealers ( Lvl 4, Level 3, Level 2 from top to bottom) but I feel like I haven't really changed ground gear much. Especially for my other party members. The gear that you would buy usually has very little bonus. I mainly only buy it for fashion... How often should I expect to change, or how much does your equipment matter early on?

There are so many stats, augments, buffs/debuffs that it can be a little overwhelming knowing exactly what I should be looking for.

While a lot of items drop, it seems like most are just not that great, or I'm not at a point where Theroid Slayer II or Meteor Shower Screen don't influence my decisions at all.

In any case, my primary concern is should itemization be a big concern or is that not until much later in the game where I would ostensibly be gearing for specific fights?

I've been getting mining probes and research probes constantly. Why does it seem like booster and duplicate probes are so rare to get? Are there more of them in the last two regions?

I kinda think the opposite. The world of XCX can be 'replaced' by a bigger/more beautiful world on next gen, and Monolithsoft can take what they learned from the criticisms of this game and polish it up. Whereas you can't really replace the story and characters from the original.

Sure, I have no doubts about MonolithSoft's ability to make better worlds and experiences in the future. But that doesnt make the world of XCX bad. Like if they make a better story in the future it doesnt take away from the enjoyment of XC's story (I never played XC but I'm assuming it has a great story going by posts here).

XCX has a ton of flaws but its highs are really high. Mira is a really special place. I cant remember the last game I had so much fun just running around and exploring. This game is the closest thing I can think of to a hiking simulator. I mean there are plenty of other open world games but Mira was just an interesting place to be in. Going from point A to point B is so scenic and enjoyable. And when you go back the way you came, you see totally new views and perspectives. And then with a flight pack, its yet another experience.

Even 150 hours later, I'm still finding caves and landmarks and sections I've previously missed. The game still manages to surprise me. I think it will be remembered fondly for its freedom of exploration, unique design and scale of its continents and how you can go anywhere without interruptions.

I also think people will look back and appreciate the soundtrack as well. Some questionable tracks but the great ones are really great.

Found a cool endgame build that is not Longsword and Dual guns:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvm-oIsObw4
Takes advantage of those high level enemy drop only reflect augments (those augments add that elements reflect whenever you have a reflect active) and Raijin to reflect all damage. Also it can destroy the everqueen on foot (I didn't even know that was possible due to the water being too deep) and a slightly different build gets 1940RP from the Telethia (for the Telethia looks like knives are used for melee to use full specs and energy source and the AI buddies seem to topple lock the Telethia).

Apparently, if you go to the Delusians North Summit during spores, there are level 81-83 Icluses up there that drop Ultra gear...and they are pathetically easy to kill for level 83 indigens.
Fun fact. There is a 10* difficulty basic mission to hunt four of those enemies. I notice that Sakuraba seem to have melee attack up on the augments compared to Six Stars melee attack boost (I find six stars and skell wear easier to farm). The former might be preferable. Weapon drops are not bad either:
WVW69iv7pMYnXvJafy

Turns out Elma already had something similar (swap arts gain TP with melee accuracy up) and I'd love to have that on dual guns but I get arts gain TP or potential up never both at once.

Btw the Weather.SPORE-RES augment doesn't do what I thought it would...I still couldn't see anything :(

Just remembered I didn't get my division spoils (that I never use)
WVW69iv72YkrWqNiWs

Nevermind...

Mael

Sure, I have no doubts about MonolithSoft's ability to make better worlds and experiences in the future. But that doesnt make the world of XCX bad. Like if they make a better story in the future it doesnt take away from the enjoyment of XC's story (I never played XC but I'm assuming it has a great story going by posts here).

XCX has a ton of flaws but its highs are really high. Mira is a really special place. I cant remember the last game I had so much fun just running around and exploring.

I do, it's called Xenoblade Chronicle and it's on Wii.
Mira is actually more fun to explore so far.
But you should play it.

You don't trust her, Chief.

she keeps calling Elma Chief, I think its Cross she calls Chief but I play as Elma so I get confused

I kinda get what they are going for with the hint
Mia grows up

I left her alone to do her thing

edit: damn you Go Sirho! Give me your tasks cat!
how do I get her mission?

Ulysses 31

In any case, my primary concern is should itemization be a big concern or is that not until much later in the game where I would ostensibly be gearing for specific fights?

it wasn't until I got +50% attribute dmg skills that I started paying attention to weapons, on armour I usually took what improved my melee dmg.

I didn't really start optimising with augs till post game.

jonjonaug

So what's the deal with Double Recast? Why is it called that, and how do you decide whether to use a normal skill or wait until the bonus is ready?

Each Art has a secondary cooldown. If you wait until the secondary cooldown (the green circle around the art) is ready, the Art is more effective. This can mean that it will deal more damage, that a buff/debuff will be of a higher level, that the art can be immediately recast (this depletes the secondary cooldown meter instead of causing the art to enter its normal cooldown state), or other effects (they're detailed in the Art description). While not in Overdrive the secondary cooldown meter will only build if you're using the weapon that corresponds to the art.

While in Overdrive, things work a bit differently. All secondary cooldown meters will build up, doesn't matter what weapon you have out. Each art will also gain an additional tertiary cooldown meter that builds up after the secondary cooldown meter is filled. An art with its tertiary cooldown meter filled will be even more effective.

Whether you use an art as soon as it becomes available, or you wait for its CD meter to fill, is one of the basics of strategy in combat. Often it's best to wait for the CD meter to fill, but if the enemy is weak or an ally requests an Art type using a Soul Voice it may be better to use an art right away.

random25

So what's the deal with Double Recast? Why is it called that, and how do you decide whether to use a normal skill or wait until the bonus is ready?

It is stronger or more than using the art twice. It's just up to the player. But using arts that consume TP, having it more that twice as strong for the cost of the same amount of TP makes sense rather than using it twice for twice the TP too.

Renewed

Tried a reflect and potential focused photon saber/raygun. Core Crusher and whatnot. I think I might put more into this because I'm enjoying this a bit more than Ether Blossom Dance. Just more satisfying to see the enemy hurt themselves lol

XCX has a ton of flaws but its highs are really high. Mira is a really special place. I cant remember the last game I had so much fun just running around and exploring. This game is the closest thing I can think of to a hiking simulator. I mean there are plenty of other open world games but Mira was just an interesting place to be in. Going from point A to point B is so scenic and enjoyable. And when you go back the way you came, you see totally new views and perspectives. And then with a flight pack, its yet another experience.

Even 150 hours later, I'm still finding caves and landmarks and sections I've previously missed. The game still manages to surprise me. I think it will be remembered fondly for its freedom of exploration, unique design and scale of its continents and how you can go anywhere without interruptions.

I also think people will look back and appreciate the soundtrack as well. Some questionable tracks but the great ones are really great.
The original is a better, more well rounded game, IMO. The plot is not great -- well, maybe by videogame standards it is -- but it always gives you a reason to push forward from place to place, and the locations and world are phenomenal. XBX excels in certain areas, but it's also very rough around the edges. XB is refined.

Apart from doing sidequests and finding NPCs. That was way, way worse...

Zareka

After seeing everyone praise the exploration here I feel like I'm doing something wrong. XBX is the most constricted I've felt in a long time due to the fact I can't go more than 3 steps without getting insta gibbed by some stupid hgh level mob. Even when I find a level appropriate area, it's only ever for that tiny segment; it's probably surrounded by more mobs 20 levels above me. Throw in the fact that I find a silly amount of Fellreaver-esque cutting about and I feel like I don't get the freedom to explore, at least until I out level everything.

I've played 60 hours so far thinking "this'll get better once I can move around freely". And it has gotten a little better as I've levelled up, obviously. But running into level 40's to 50's off the bat was overkill, imo. Kinda killing it for me.

HeroR

I think in a few years, XCX will be looked on more favorably. Its one of those games people will really learn to appreciate years down the line, despite its shortcomings.

From what I have observes, most of people who don't like or have come a way from this game disappointed are the ones who keep comparing it to Xenoblade, despite the games being very different outside of the combat and open world.

I loved the cast and story from XC, but this game reminds that exploring the actual world and most of the quests were a pain. Makna Forest was eye candy, but I hated traveling it and had my least favorite music track in the game. Alcamoth is absolutely stunning, but I hated navigating those platforms and hated anything that made you swim. Valak Mountain is opened and empty, but beautiful at night and Mechonis Field felt more like a dungeon than a place where people lived unlike the other locations. Remembering who was out at what time was also a pain.

Exploration in XCX is fun and other it can be painful trying to find how to reach that treasure or navigate through a horde of high level mods and tyrants, it is all part of the fun. There is also more weight when you complete several normal quests and you decisions can have real consequences if you're not paying attention.

The battle system is also much better, no question about it. I know people loved changing party members to get a different experience, but you can do the same thing with your avatar. You can turned them into a tank, a dps, crowd control, ect. Yeah, it isn't quite the same as switching characters and there is no mage class, which makes since given the setting, but it is there.

The best way to decided is that XC is one of the best traditional JRPGs with several twists and a good opened world. XCX is one of the best more modern JRPGs with really takes the opened world and create a world that feels truly alive. Plus you control a giant freaking mecha, which changes the game.

Maybe they can blend the strengths of XC and XCX in the next game, but overall all XCX is ace and is one of my favorite RPGs.

Ventara

Beat the story mode earlier today. Last fight was kinda hard. Thought I was ready for it, but just barely pulled through after losing twice. Saw most of the twists coming as it was foreshadowed to hell. Didn't really like the to-be-continued type ending, as it wasn't enough for a direct sequel, but too much to leave satisfied. Overall, it was a good ending, though.

If I were to compare this to Xenoblade on the Wii, in gameplay terms, it's obviously superior, but I felt it lacked the sense of amazement and wonder that XC Wii sometimes gave. I think it has to do with the music and the characters not being as memorable. I mean, there are vistas in XCX WiiU that match, or even surpass the ones in XC Wii, but there was no moment for me that could match the beginning in XC Wii where I took control of Shulk on a bright beautiful day and had this extreme urge to explore, or when I came out of a cave on the Bionis Leg and saw the Mechonis looming over me in the distance. Those are moments in gaming I will remember for years to come. Sadly, there was none in XCX. Just "wow, this is great/amazing/really cool" parts that many other great games can lay claim to, which is nothing bad at all. Just that it wasn't able to reach past that to where XC Wii reached.

Anyways, I'm trying to work on getting the level 60 Skells. I'll have to search up where to get some of these, as the guide is useless since I'll have to go through the entire enemy list to find which one drops what.

Diffense

After seeing everyone praise the exploration here I feel like I'm doing something wrong. XBX is the most constricted I've felt in a long time due to the fact I can't go more than 3 steps without getting insta gibbed by some stupid hgh level mob. Even when I find a level appropriate area, it's only ever for that tiny segment; it's probably surrounded by more mobs 20 levels above me. Throw in the fact that I find a silly amount of Fellreaver-esque cutting about and I feel like I don't get the freedom to explore, at least until I out level everything.

I've played 60 hours so far thinking "this'll get better once I can move around freely". And it has gotten a little better as I've levelled up, obviously. But running into level 40's to 50's off the bat was overkill, imo. Kinda killing it for me.

You are not going to dominate everything everywhere from the start. That's no way for a game to progress. When we say that you have freedom to explore it does not imply that the game is a cakewalk with no challenge. There is the obvious caveat that you have to be able to handle the wildlife in an area if you want to explore it freely without having to tip-toe around. Some of my most fun times with the game were the tense moments when nearby enemies could easily wipe me out if they noticed me.

Top Bottom