• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT2| Welcome to New L+A a.k.a. Read the Frakkin' Manual!

So I think I've seen a good chunk of Syvalum but I never saw even a hint of this monster. Granted, I don't have a Skell. Does it only appear when you fly? Does it live in the sky or does it conceal itself in the ground?

This freakin' game.

Pretty sure that thing spawns after you finish the story.

So I think I've seen a good chunk of Syvalum but I never saw even a hint of this monster. Granted, I don't have a Skell. Does it only appear when you fly? Does it live in the sky or does it conceal itself in the ground?

This freakin' game.

Yeah, I think it only appears if you fly...too high. Apparently you need permission to fly in Sylvalum's airspace.

Nah, I saw it before I finished the story. Maybe after chapter 10.

150h in and this is the first time I'm seeing this huge mf. D:

R5vNKde.jpg

Well now, that's a penis...

rhandino

Banned
Phog's "I don't belong in a battlefield..." it's funny when you consider that his signature art is Rising Sky which lets him do some crazy acrobatics mixing a series of kicks that raise the enemies from the ground.

Post Chapter 9 here and they appear on Sylvalum and in Cauldros... I thought they were structures and got close only to activate him and while escaping he destroyed all my team skells.

Oops!

Neiteio

So I've been to three continents so far. Primordia first, of course. Then I went to Sylvalum. And last night I went to Noctilum, exploring the south and north ends. And all three continents have been incredible. I wish everyone on this board could be handed a controller and this game and plopped down in the Primordian highlands or the deepest depths of Noctilum at night and just told to explore. Even in this age of open-world games, nothing quite compares to the wonder of Mira in XCX.

Nope. Its always there. Claudros has another three.
Post Chapter 9 here and they appear on Sylvalum and in Cauldros... I thought they were structures and got close only to activate him and while escaping he destroyed all my team skells.
Nah, I saw it before I finished the story. Maybe after chapter 10.

Oh weird, guess I somehow managed to avoid seeing the thing until after I beat the game. lol. I remember the ones in Cauldros at the very least.

PetrCobra

Finally decided to do the trading card quest and it's pretty awesome to finally talk to NPCs a lot. Got some unexpected recon info (didn't know there are other ways to get those than the yellow talk bubbles) and met Murderess three times in her heart-to-heart spots by pure luck :)

Not sure if it's Luxaar's Xern specifically since I never targeted it, but a monster of that "species" floats by the Banshee Cavern in Sylvalum or whatever it's called throughout the entire duration of the game.

Malus

Finally decided to do the trading card quest and it's pretty awesome to finally talk to NPCs a lot. Got some unexpected recon info (didn't know there are other ways to get those than the yellow talk bubbles) and met Murderess three times in her heart-to-heart spots by pure luck :)

Yeah, I really like how fun it feels to explore even in NLA.

So I've been to three continents so far. Primordia first, of course. Then I went to Sylvalum. And last night I went to Noctilum, exploring the south and north ends. And all three continents have been incredible. I wish everyone on this board could be handed a controller and this game and plopped down in the Primordian highlands or the deepest depths of Noctilum at night and just told to explore. Even in this age of open-world games, nothing quite compares to the wonder of Mira in XCX.

I'm surprised you haven't been to Oblivia yet considering how close it is.

Any build involving ghost walker + primer + a shitton of potential will do great. The most popular is the longsword one but it works well with other weapons too.
Yeah. I was wanting to do Dual Blades + Assault Rifle but I accidentally bought the wrong weapon awhile back so I just ended up with a Longsword, and Dual Guns paired better than the Duelist's default Assault Rifles. It stuck.

From what I can gather, 11 is the max, unless there are more hiding from me. I'm more interested in where the hell I can find more booster probes, as I only have a G1 and two G2s.

To add to this, here is my current probe setup. I'm nearing capacity on my earning potential, and hopefully those boosters I mentioned should help push me higher. It's still fun to try to squeeze as much out of the probes as possible.

Primordia
bckdV2z.jpg

Noctilum South
h4YUAhr.jpg

Noctilum North
x4VZk6A.jpg

Oblivia
Q2t0vbo.jpg

Sylvalum
KS0Z3xn.jpg

Cauldros
M8HBsm3.jpg

I have most of the research and mining probes I'll get, I think. Most remaining probes are likely from quests.

best setup I've seen so far but I don't think I have that many boosters or duplicators

need to find them

don't really need them at this point but just want to reach my max in all stats

Neiteio

I was talking to Chadboban about this in PMs, but my GOODNESS is Noctilum AMAZING.

The scene: Nopon Braidbridge. Down below. Nighttime in Noctilum. The trees are glowing green. The air is filled with purple pollen and golden fireflies. A mossy tree spirals skyward, lined with warmly glowing lanterns. Great apes sit atop oversized stumps and fungi in the shade of the canopy.

Everything is magic.

Elsewhere in the wood: Thunderous waterfalls girdled by giant vines. Fields of blue grass under a pastel pink sky. Prehistoric marshlands wreathed in steamy fog. Deer-like creatures sipping nectar out of massive flowers. Plants that glow like red neon signs.

Wow wow wow wow wow wow.

And all of this, coming off of exploration of the Primordian highlands, climbing an ominous skull-like mountain (Unicorn Peak?) and seeing ruins on the cliffs below, and winding my way along the serpentine path, blindsided by one breathtaking, gravity-defying rock formation after another, and drop-offs so high that it'd take an eternity to reach the bottom.

And in this game, you can safely do just that, since there's no fall damage!

The game just compels you onward and onward and onward. I've been playing for many hours already, yet Primordia is just at 25% surveyed, while Noctilum and Sylvalum are in the mid-teens. And I haven't even arrived in the other two continents yet.

I keep finding caves. Some of them go forever. One was swarming with Grexes several times my level. I snuck past all of them and looted a ton of material.

I like the emergent "maze" formed by all of the high-level monsters. Some are alert and roaming; others are sound asleep. Some strand at bottlenecks and straight-up bar you from continuing, but in most cases you can weave a fine line between them and slip past unnoticed, or run away if you are.

This game has, straight up, the coolest-looking bestiary I've ever seen. Bloodborne had many amazing monsters, but stuff like the tall elephants and fat angler fish flying around the lake in Sylvalum is just out of this world (pun intended). I wish there was a dedicated screenshot button like on the PS4. I'm too impatient to fiddle with the HUD and Home --> Internet Browser --> Abload.de. The wilderness begs to be explored!

TrueBlue

So did we ever find out what this was all about? It was from the very first trailer and there were some who theorised that it was Shulk.

I guess it could just be a representation of Cross, but I dunno.

Dubz

When will I get my first skill? Level 13 , and every time I go into the skill menu, they are all greeted out. Am I doing something wrong?

EDIT: figured out they are tied to classes. I guess I should read the frakkin manual :)

squadr0n

just finished chapter 3 and got the ability to select party members. I found and added the first two party members that were originally with me, Elma and linn i think. Where do I find the other party members? The strat guide says Doug should be added automatically but he wasnt and im not sure where to go to find him or the others.

just finished chapter 3 and got the ability to select party members. I found and added the first two party members that were originally with me, Elma and linn i think. Where do I find the other party members? The strat guide says Doug should be added automatically but he wasnt and im not sure where to go to find him or the others.

Click the "ticks" within the grid on your gamepad. Irina is close to the barracks, Doug in the hanger (a level below the administrative district), Gwin in division drive.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I was going to purchase this on the eshop, but I don't have enough space. Why. :( I need to expand my storage. Or buy retail...Any benefit to digital vs retail?

Malus

Fast travel is nice but it's really rewarding to just fly from place to place sometimes. Not only do you get the great views but even after nearly 200 hours I still find that the game has some surprises.

From what I can gather, 11 is the max, unless there are more hiding from me. I'm more interested in where the hell I can find more booster probes, as I only have a G1 and two G2s.

To add to this, here is my current probe setup. I'm nearing capacity on my earning potential, and hopefully those boosters I mentioned should help push me higher. It's still fun to try to squeeze as much out of the probes as possible.

Primordia
bckdV2z.jpg

Noctilum South
h4YUAhr.jpg

Noctilum North
x4VZk6A.jpg

Oblivia
Q2t0vbo.jpg

Sylvalum
KS0Z3xn.jpg

Cauldros
M8HBsm3.jpg

I have most of the research and mining probes I'll get, I think. Most remaining probes are likely from quests.

sjdf Not you TRASHING my layout.

I'm disgusted.

Let me copy your setup real quick.

Insaniac

Do i have to unlock "Melee attack up X" before I can craft it? I can't see the required mats

Also, for ground combat, if I put Melee attack up in my ranged weapon does it still affect my melee?

LMAO Ares 90

My team of two heavy 50 Skells and two 30s could usually take out about 7 RP from the Telethia Plume. I switched in my first Ares 90 instead of one of the 30s and took out 64 bars. :p

-Horizon-

Phew, just finished a roundtrip flight around primordia, oblivia, noctilum, and syvalum. Got all of the probe sites that weren't level 5 and their sightseeing points. I'm not afraid to say I googled a lot of those. Like Bloodborne levels of "hidden pasage right here oops you missed it".

Also the first time I've ever seen my fuel level drop so low (halfway) just from flying through 4 continents and even fast traveling at times.

I do have a question. I'm guessing there's supposed to be one more arms manufacturer but I have no idea how its unlocked. Anyone know what to do? Its the middle-ish one on the list.

Just got this game and made it to New LA. I honestly thought I would hate everything about this game based on my impressions from gameplay videos and how I felt about all of the big open world "game of the years" for the past few years, but I'm already loving it. I can't tell why it's different, but something about the graphical style makes me really want to explore this planet, and the gameplay is managing to be more enjoyable than I thought it was (way better than Witcher 3 at least). The menus gave me a little bit of anxiety but I'm encouraged to actually figure it out!

Seeing the palm trees in New LA was great and made me laugh. The dialogues also horrible but in a charming way, maybe it's just been too long since I've played a JRPG.
"This big war happened between these alien races and destroyed earth"
Probably not necessary since we just saw that giant cutscene but I guess our character has amnesia-
*Shows cutscene of aliens destroying earth*
We just saw that!

Phew, just finished a roundtrip flight around primordia, oblivia, noctilum, and syvalum. Got all of the probe sites that weren't level 5 and their sightseeing points. I'm not afraid to say I googled a lot of those. Like Bloodborne levels of "hidden pasage right here oops you missed it".

Also the first time I've ever seen my fuel level drop so low (halfway) just from flying through 4 continents and even fast traveling at times.

I do have a question. I'm guessing there's supposed to be one more arms manufacturer but I have no idea how its unlocked. Anyone know what to do? Its the middle-ish one on the list.

Sounds like you're missing an alien race in NLA. Nopons or Wrothians maybe.

Get to sidequestin'

Alrus

Affinity Quests chain that starts with the "Spy Game" one (which is close to the BLADE tower entrance) iirc.

Insaniac

You could just look up the required mats online and then once you get some it'll show.

thats what I figured, but all I can find are the required mats for 'XX'

I'm level 56 so i was surprised I hadn't acquired any mats for it yet, which is why I thought I had to unlock it some other way

-Horizon-

I was going to purchase this on the eshop, but I don't have enough space. Why. :( I need to expand my storage. Or buy retail...Any benefit to digital vs retail?

Well, if you get digital you won't need any further data packs to download. Also you won't have to hear the disc tray whirring away every other couple of seconds. Seriously, this game is gonna break my Wii U lol.

Sounds like you're missing an alien race in NLA. Nopons or Wrothians maybe.

Get to sidequestin'
Got the nopon one. I guess I'm missing the
cat people
lol.

Didn't even know they were gonna make stuff. I guess there
somewhere in Oblivia if that chapter 9 cutscenes
is supposed to be a hint?

Affinity Quests chain that starts with the "Spy Game" one (which is close to the BLADE tower entrance) iirc.

How do you check a chain and see what comes next? Or is that not a thing? :/

Malus

thats what I figured, but all I can find are the required mats for 'XX'

I'm level 56 so i was surprised I hadn't acquired any mats for it yet, which is why I thought I had to unlock it some other way

I think they're the same. It's just more mats for the XX.

Alrus

How do you check a chain and see what comes next? Or is that not a thing? :/

I don't think that's a thing, but when you finish an affinity quest, your FrontierNav will update with the next one in the chain (most of the time at least). For that particular one the quest following Spy Games is called "Prospective partners" and I think it's in the barracks.

Top Bottom