• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenus 2: White Gold & The Precursors |Double OT| Ukrainian Open World FPSRPG Heaven

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Good lord. If I can fix the sound issues and tweak the aiming in Precursors (why am I moving so slow?) then this will be the game of Q1 for me.

There being no sound to the enemies is game breaking. Walking around and suddenly BAM! dead because I couldn't hear the Grow running up behind me. Still. What an amazing game. It's STALKER, in space. Which is all kinds of awesome.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Yeah I'm holding off on playing White Gold further (and subsequently The Precursors) until the sound issues are resolved. I'm glad a community is forming to figure this out, because they're so worth the effort.

See if the Russian sound file fix works for you, Wind. Just took it for a test-run and it seems to have a lot more in the way of environmental sound - including the Gnow growls.

WanderingWind

Pylon_Trooper said:
See if the Russian sound file fix works for you, Wind. Just took it for a test-run and it seems to have a lot more in the way of environmental sound - including the Gnow growls.

I'm downloading now, but the wait is going to be long for this one. I mean - an open world RPG with a unique setting and no handholding? This game might has well been ripped from my brain.

From what I can gather White Gold is basically the same thing, only in a Far Cry-esque (why am I using that word so much?) setting?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
WanderingWind said:
I'm downloading now, but the wait is going to be long for this one. I mean - an open world RPG with a unique setting and no handholding? This game might has well been ripped from my brain.

Yeah, when ghst first showed me a gameplay video of The Precursors last year those were exactly my sentiments. "Wait, what is essentially my dream game...actually exists? And no one cares?"

Dennis

Banned
WanderingWind said:

From what I can gather White Gold is basically the same thing, only in a Far Cry-esque (why am I using that word so much?) setting?
Yes, that is White Gold. They are quite similar. Supposedly White Gold is the technically the better game but that may depend on interest, and conceptually Precursors seem more intriquing.

WanderingWind

EviLore said:
Yeah, when ghst first showed me a gameplay video of The Precursors last year those were exactly my sentiments. "Wait, what is essentially my dream game...actually exists? And no one cares?"

Only three pages. Girls in Yoga Pants is about to go OT2. Nobody continues to care. What the hell is wrong with people?:lol

Dennis

Banned
WanderingWind said:
Only three pages. Girls in Yoga Pants is about to go OT2. Nobody continues to care. What the hell is wrong with people?:lol
Zero American media exposure. Zero. RPS had a feature on Precursors but that is about it.

It is the same with a lot of other very interesting games. People just ignore them if there is no media hype and thread after thread to build anticipation. All that attention makes people feel those are the games to play.

Clevinger

Started Precursors. Was it just me, or were those two guys talking to each other in the intro the same horrible voice actor?

:lol

bengraven said:
Are there any hostile wildlife in this game, White Gold? I haven't met up with any, though I was told there would be barracuda by that wreck in the intro village.

Have you jumped in the ocean yet? And from what little I played a long time ago, I remember there were at least snakes.

I'd also say there's something a little Just Cause'y about Xenus 2, as well. It's that irreverent Latin America/Caribbean flavour that takes a little further than Far Cry.

Seriously, there's an imbalance when yoga pants gets a second thread.

I've also decided this is what I wanted from Borderlands. A bit more of a dynamic world to run around in.

Dennis

Banned
bengraven said:
Are there any hostile wildlife in this game, White Gold? I haven't met up with any, though I was told there would be barracuda by that wreck in the intro village.
Yeah, there is a bitch-ass barracuda that keeps killing me when I am diving for some wreakage.

Pylon_Trooper said:
Seriously, there's an imbalance when yoga pants gets a second thread.
Actually, I think that thread got locked.

WanderingWind

DennisK4 said:
Zero American media exposure. Zero. RPS had a feature on Precursors but that is about it.

It is the same with a lot of other very interesting games. People just ignore them if there is no media hype and thread after thread to build anticipation. All that attention makes people feel those are the games to play.

Which I don't really understand. The Witcher and STALKER brought Eastern European developers legitimacy in the eyes of many "professional" reviewers. Why the hell wouldn't something like this be getting equal exposure? I mean, if there was ever an argument for pay for play being industry standard, things like this are the proof source.

Regardless - and I may be playing into stereotypes here - how the hell are they able to create such an amazing set of worlds on such a shoe string budget? I'd love to read an interview from these guys.

Dennis

Banned
WanderingWind said:
Which I don't really understand. The Witcher and STALKER brought Eastern European developers legitimacy in the eyes of many "professional" reviewers. Why the hell wouldn't something like this be getting equal exposure? I mean, if there was ever an argument for pay for play being industry standard, things like this are the proof source.

Regardless - and I may be playing into stereotypes here - how the hell are they able to create such an amazing set of worlds on such a shoe string budget? I'd love to read an interview from these guys.
Because their previous game, Boiling Point was soooooo broken maybe ?

Seriously, most broken released game ever :lol

But odly fascinating....

But honestly, the production values, graphics and voice-overs, doesn't exactly scream for media attention.

itxaka

Defeatist
DennisK4 said:
Because their previous game, Boiling Point was soooooo broken maybe ?

Seriously, most broken released game ever :lol

But odly fascinating....

But honestly, the production values, graphics and voice-overs, doesn't exactly scream for media attention.

yes. Somebody post the patch notes because they are hilarious. Always bring a smile to my face.

Still one of the most ambitious games I had the privilege of trying to play. This guys just need some serious help from a good publisher that can do some QA and localization for them.

Their games are good. I played Xenus 2 for a bit and the game is pretty good.

But the one I'm dying to try is precursors because it looks so freaking awesome. And to think that game was made by a small team of guys in Ukraine with probably a stupidly small budget while there are games out there that are shitty but get millions in budget..SMH.

WanderingWind

The thing with media exposure is all it takes is a phone call, realistically. Game journalists, especially during this time of year when nothing is really being released, should be looking for exactly these types of games to cover. I almost want to abuse my marketing contacts and do some work for these chaps for free.

Flunkie

Banned
WanderingWind said:
The thing with media exposure is all it takes is a phone call, realistically. Game journalists, especially during this time of year when nothing is really being released, should be looking for exactly these types of games to cover. I almost want to abuse my marketing contacts and do some work for these chaps for free.
I, uh, support this measure. :p

WanderingWind

Damn, they make it hard though. Their website looks like something slapped together to bilk people out of their cash. :lol

Aon

My lord. I was a bit hesitant to install those Russian sound files, but the game feels so much better with all the ambients as well as voice acting for every person. Very highly recommended.

WanderingWind

Alright, fired off a ton of emails. At least now they know it's out there. What they do with the info is up to them.

Aon said:
My lord. I was a bit hesitant to install those Russian sound files, but the game feels so much better with all the ambients as well as voice acting for every person. Very highly recommended.

Aion, just to verify and make it clear for folks wanting to do the same, can you post the files you unpacked and the directories you put them into? I can't check mine at the moment - work and all - but did you just follow the instructions? I moved a bunch of files around, experimenting and the like, so it'd be great to see what you did.

Aon said:

Voice acting for every person? I installed all the files and followed the instructions perfectly, but don't hear any Russian voice acting. :(

The ambient sounds are there, along with the English cutscenes, but that's all.

bengraven

Someone get me the complete text file for White Gold and I'll re-write the localization. This is worse Engrish than 1980s NES games.

Aon said:
yep, yep. the ambiance is completely different.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Aww man, the written dialog is part of the charm! I also love how long-winded everyone seems to be. People talk for ages.

Despite the sound bug, I am hooked on White Gold. I just did a quest where I recovered some dude's car from the local paramilitary dudes. Hilarious how fast you drive! I jumped in the car and promptly hit a tree, which swayed back and forth nicely. I'm alternating between choosing perks from the "cowboy" line and the perks that increase your carry capacity. In games like this, I just can't stop buying shit.

About my only real complaint, other than the audio not being there, is the fact that I feel as if I'm squat-running the entire time because your dude is so low to the ground. It's KZ2 all over again and once I noticed it, I can't un-see it.

Doesn't help that the lower left of the screen icon shows a dude on one knee. I thought for the longest time I had hit a permanent squat button, but no, I can still crouch and go prone, then stand back up.

try increasing the fov a bit maybe?

bengraven said:
How do you drop items in White Gold?
I have an anchor on me I can't get rid of. lol
there's a shitbin icon in the lower left corner to drop items into from the inventory

Aon

I did as in the instructions, with pasting the cutscene audio folder into a SOUNDS folder in the game's root directory then pasting the Russian Master.fat and Sounds.grp into the packages folder of Precursors.

Shame it hasn't worked for everyone.

I also had that feeling Graven but for Precursors. Can't seem to find the file that needs editing among the unpacked stuff. I wish there was just a .txt lying around somewhere.

Although writing the issues out of the script might make the game less compelling as a whole ><

Aon said:
I did as in the instructions, with pasting the cutscene audio folder into a SOUNDS folder in the game's root directory then pasting the Russian Master.fat and Sounds.grp into the packages folder of Precursors.

Shame it hasn't worked for everyone.

I also had that feeling Graven but for Precursors. Can't seem to find the file that needs editing among the unpacked stuff. I wish there was just a .txt lying around somewhere.

Although writing the issues out of the script might make the game less compelling as a whole ><

What's the size of your sounds.grp just out of interest? I don't understand why some of it works and some of it doesn't for me.

bengraven

Dick Laurent said:
try increasing the fov a bit maybe?

there's a shitbin icon in the lower left corner to drop items into from the inventory

Awesome, thanks. :)

Also...Eddi Merfi?

The localization is soooo fucking bad.

Untitled-11.jpg

Aon

My gf_sounds.grp is 1.317 GB in size. I would provide some sort of MD5 Checksum but I have no idea how to obtain those ><

Is it possible you only downloaded one of the .rars?

Edit: ^^^, And I thought that the Precursor's localisation was bad. That makes it seem like a masterpiece comparatively.

Aon said:
My gf_sounds.grp is 1.317 GB in size. I would provide some sort of MD5 Checksum but I have no idea how to obtain those ><

Mines the same size, I downloaded and extracted both rars, so I have no idea where it's gone wrong. Just one of those things I guess.

edit - actually I just went back to the original english gf_sounds.grp and it sounds no different, so my russian version isn't working at all.

bengraven

Aon said:

Edit: ^^^, And I thought that the Precursor's localisation was bad. That makes it seem like a masterpiece comparatively.

Yeah, haha. Precursors should be about downloaded by now. I might switch for a while.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
It's looking like I should just get Precursors and wait for White Gold to get fixed up. I did jsut beat Risen and am looking for something to move on to...

Just got home, and while the ambient sounds are all there and accounted for, I'm yet to hear a voice. Should be a simple case of arranging the sound files or something.

Clevinger

Pylon_Trooper said:
Just got home, and while the ambient sounds are all there and accounted for, I'm yet to hear a voice. Should be a simple case of arranging the sound files or something.

I see you mentioned putting the english main.fat file back in case you overwrite it, but in one of those instruction steps you quoted from it says to use the Russian file. Maybe try that?

3) At the end, replace English main.fat and gf_sounds.grp sound with those files from Russian version.

edit: I just tried it for the first time with the Russian main.fat and it worked for me. The guys on the radio in the intro level were all shouting Russian at me. I'm guessing that wasn't in the original version?

Clevinger said:
edit: I just tried it for the first time with the Russian main.fat and it worked for me. The guys on the radio in the intro level were all shouting Russian at me. I'm guessing that wasn't in the original version?

I'll start a new game, see if that helps.

EDIT: Hmmm. Nope. I'll download it again and do a fresh reinstall. Then, I'll apply the files again. I really want this to work!

Pylon_Trooper said:

I had the same issue, then I found out I dumped the whole SOUNDS folder from the Unpacker into the game's directory. I was sure I only copied in the Cutscenes subdirectory but I guess not. I knew it would be something stupid. :lol

Works perfectly now, Russian voices all over the place + English cutscenes.

lastplayed said:
I had the same issue, then I found out I dumped the whole SOUNDS folder from the Unpacker into the game's directory. I was sure I only copied in the Cutscenes subdirectory but I guess not. I knew it would be something stupid. :lol

Works perfectly now, Russian voices all over the place + English cutscenes.

Holy hell, that was my mistake, too! Right, time to check this sucker out!

EDIT: AWESOME! Exactly what was needed. Now, all we can hope for is a way to tighten the script and the same sound packs for White Gold. And...well...an even further way to tighten White Gold's script. Industrial strength, undoubtedly.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Precursors voice acting is bad. Not as hilariously god awful and White Gold but it's still pretty bad :lol

Top Bottom