• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenus 2: White Gold & The Precursors |Double OT| Ukrainian Open World FPSRPG Heaven

Haunted

I'm very forgiving of bugs and being a German PC gamer for 2 decades, I know what to expect from my [Eastern] European PC jankware.

That said, Boiling Point was just totally broken and unplayable upon release, so I'm understandably shying away from its sequel.

Precursors however looks pretty sweet. The screens and videos got a bit of a Starship Troopers (jungle) and Stargate (desert) vibe going on. I think I'll check that one out.

edit: also, "unapologetically ambitious" is a great definition on why we're ready to put up with all of this. It's worthwhile.

Radogol

Hmm...

o06jnk.png

What? A new immersive sim from Deep Shadows? fap fap fap fap

kbdr2f.png

Huh?! Erection lost :(

Haunted said:
I'm very forgiving of bugs and being a German PC gamer for 2 decades, I know what to expect from my [Eastern] European PC jankware.

That said, Boiling Point was just totally broken and unplayable upon release, so I'm understandably shying away from its sequel.

Precursors however looks pretty sweet. The screens and videos got a bit of a Starship Troopers (jungle) and Stargate (desert) vibe going on. I think I'll check that one out.

edit: also, "unapologetically ambitious" is a great definition on why we're ready to put up with all of this. It's worthwhile.

I know we've had our differences in the past, Haunted, but given your background and you liking what you see, Precursors is a safe bet.

It'd be nice to see if we can get on a script updating mod or something. Seems like a lot of committed and inspired folks in this thread, all with the right idea.

Aon

I totally agree that these lines are amazing, but I wouldn't half wonder if a good tightening up of the script mightn't work as a gateway drug for people who are less... "enlightened" than ourselves.

Also, can anyone explain the way fuel is used when travelling between systems? I can't find a way to judge it's usage until it's too late!

I'm so busy in the desert that when I finally get to flying a ship, it'll...er..."fuck my brain".

Speaking of which, I've found some vehicle maintenance books of some description. How do I use such things? Anyone figured that out?

Aon

I think like all those Holovids of various things that you find, they're just vendor trash, like rings.

Unless there's a whole romance aspect I haven't yet made contact with!!

Aon

It contains the Russian language stuff that we were talking about earlier which adds voice to most of the conversation and corrects the audio cutting out. It also rolls in the ATI postprocess fix which prevents the entire game from flickering on some ATI cards. There is also a patch in there to improve the translation somewhat, but I haven't tried that,

Flunkie said:
Oh boy! Someone just posted an all-in-one fix for Precursors on the Deep Shadows forums.

http://board.deep-shadows.com/index.php?showtopic=1643

Only thing is, it's on Megaupload, and is larger than 1GB - non-premium users can't download it, it says. Whooey.. gotta wait for a mirror.

Precursors 1.2 English translation patch

http://www.gamepron.com/file/1065/The-Precursors---English-Translation-Patch-1.2-Unofficial/

Flunk, dear friend, you are a god! Great find!

EDIT: Wow, first we get the Russian voices back and now, a tweaked script and slightly different Precursor menu fonts. This game just keeps getting better and better.

A couple more Precursors screenies, just because.

hYmk2.png

TPh0n.png

Top: A man can't get out of his car for a photo opportunity without getting zinged by bandit small arms fire. Perhaps I should stop aiming for them in my car.

Bottom: I'm falling in love so much with the Lenkon Assault Rifle design that I think it's making its way permanently onto my list of favourite weapons. Just due to colour and shape.

bengraven

Aon said:
It contains the Russian language stuff that we were talking about earlier which adds voice to most of the conversation and corrects the audio cutting out. It also rolls in the ATI postprocess fix which prevents the entire game from flickering on some ATI cards. There is also a patch in there to improve the translation somewhat, but I haven't tried that,

Link is dead.
zelda is heartbroken

Is this up on torrents yet?

Pylon_Trooper said:
Bottom: I'm falling in love so much with the Lenkon Assault Rifle design that I think it's making its way permanently onto my list of favourite weapons. Just due to colour and shape.
hehe, I agree. but I like the shotgun even more. it looks awesome on the guard morons. although it's pretty terrible and slow to use. hm, might be a bit better upgraded though

precursors2011-01-06062odf.jpg

yessss

Clevinger said:
There's a really old fan translation patch that's not much better than the official English translation (or maybe they bought it and used it), so maybe that's it. So be wary of installing it onto the English version, in case it fucks up the game.
nah, the translation patch is just a version of the english translation that is already available hidden inside the russian version of the game. wesp only cleaned it up and fixed errors in it, he didn't write it. and it's also still being updated (the 1.2 versions for both games were released on 22rd december 2010), it doesn't fuck up the game at all.

nexen

Ugh. Want Precursors badly because of you people but I'm not sure if I can take the lack of polish. Sometimes I can see past the warts but I'm so random about it that $30 is too much to gamble.

What are the chances of a Steam version, do you think?

Clevinger

Dick Laurent said:
nah, the translation patch is just a version of the english translation that is already available hidden inside the russian version of the game. wesp only cleaned it up and fixed errors in it, he didn't write it. and it's also still being updated (the 1.2 versions for both games were released on 22rd december 2010), it doesn't fuck up the game at all.

ah, ok. cool

vocab

subversus said:
Zero, since it needs to be fixed badly.

There's a bunch of games on steam that don't even work without tweaking. BTW, I like this thread. I completely forgot about White Gold. There was an old thread from a while ago that made me interested.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
vocab said:
There's a bunch of games on steam that don't even work without tweaking. BTW, I like this thread. I completely forgot about White Gold. There was an old thread from a while ago that made me interested.

then I wonder why it's still not there.

Are there any Deep Shadows games on Steam?

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Haha, damn, White Gold is so fuckin' great! I just spent the last hour doing a hair-raising mission involving diving underwater to find a dude stranded in an underwater cave. Only first, his friends, who ask you to rescue the dude, don't have a spare oxygen tank, so they have you go ask this dude for one. Only, he's like 5 miles away on another part of the island. Good thing I have a car!

So I drive this beater car you get from an early mission, and head over in the middle of the night. On the way there I get to witness a firefight between the military and some mercenaries, both of which consider me a neutral party. After the fight was over (one military guy left standing), I loot all their bodies and gather up all their guns, most of which I stash in the car's trunk.

I get over to see this scuba dude, and he's not there. Turns out this game has a real day/night cycle, where most villagers and such go to bed at night. So I wait around, using the in-game camera and such, finally he pops up. At first he wants 300 pesos for the gear but I talk him down to nothing hah. I drive back over to the beach and fill up the tank, and get the cave location from these dudes. Problem: I don't have a boat. This sets off a 10 minute swim in which some barracudas (or some evil fish) bite me, and then some bandits in a boat shoot at me.

Finally I'm there. Only, I can't use the scuba tank! Turns out it's just for the guy you're rescuing! Even worse news is, your dude can't hold his breath longer than 20 seconds. So, I dive down, and out of the murk comes a sunken ship, an old one, like a pirate ship. I find a tunnel entrance under the ship and swim in. By this time my oxygen is gone and I'm taking damage. I see the surface up ahead and swim frantically, finally getting above the surface in a cave when I'm at about half health.

I swim back under and have a look around. It seems there are many branching paths. This sets off a series of dives where I swim out, look around, find air pockets, and generally explore this honeycomb of tunnels. I find giant clams that have pearls in them. I find skeletons of what I assume are pirates, sometimes clutching chests that I lockpick (others are too high level to pick, definitely coming back here later).

Finally, I find the stranded dude, hand him the tank, and he takes off. I swim for safety, air pocket to air pocket, until finally I'm out, swimming toward the surface, running out of air moments before I hit the open. Bandits take a few shots at me as rain pours down, lightning lighting up the sky in the distance, as I make the long swim back to shore.

Did I mention I love this game?!

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Diseased Yak said:
Haha, damn, White Gold is so fuckin' great! I just spent the last hour doing a hair-raising mission involving diving underwater to find a dude stranded in an underwater cave. Only first, his friends, who ask you to rescue the dude, don't have a spare oxygen tank, so they have you go ask this dude for one. Only, he's like 5 miles away on another part of the island. Good thing I have a car!

So I drive this beater car you get from an early mission, and head over in the middle of the night. On the way there I get to witness a firefight between the military and some mercenaries, both of which consider me a neutral party. After the fight was over (one military guy left standing), I loot all their bodies and gather up all their guns, most of which I stash in the car's trunk.

I get over to see this scuba dude, and he's not there. Turns out this game has a real day/night cycle, where most villagers and such go to bed at night. So I wait around, using the in-game camera and such, finally he pops up. At first he wants 300 pesos for the gear but I talk him down to nothing hah. I drive back over to the beach and fill up the tank, and get the cave location from these dudes. Problem: I don't have a boat. This sets off a 10 minute swim in which some barracudas (or some evil fish) bite me, and then some bandits in a boat shoot at me.

Finally I'm there. Only, I can't use the scuba tank! Turns out it's just for the guy you're rescuing! Even worse news is, your dude can't hold his breath longer than 20 seconds. So, I dive down, and out of the murk comes a sunken ship, an old one, like a pirate ship. I find a tunnel entrance under the ship and swim in. By this time my oxygen is gone and I'm taking damage. I see the surface up ahead and swim frantically, finally getting above the surface in a cave when I'm at about half health.

I swim back under and have a look around. It seems there are many branching paths. This sets off a series of dives where I swim out, look around, find air pockets, and generally explore this honeycomb of tunnels. I find giant clams that have pearls in them. I find skeletons of what I assume are pirates, sometimes clutching chests that I lockpick (others are too high level to pick, definitely coming back here later).

Finally, I find the stranded dude, hand him the tank, and he takes off. I swim for safety, air pocket to air pocket, until finally I'm out, swimming toward the surface, running out of air moments before I hit the open. Bandits take a few shots at me as rain pours down, lightning lighting up the sky in the distance, as I make the long swim back to shore.

Did I mention I love this game?!
This needs to be quoted because it sounds goddamn amazing. I'm so damn close to buying it after reading that.

bengraven

Please put that in the OP. haha

I'm working on installing the sound bytes/localization fixes for both games. Until then I've been playing STALKER. Dammit, I'm totally up for Russo gaming right now.

Brannon said:
Downloading the sound files for White Gold now. So I just un rar them and put them in the game folder?

I'm wondering this myself. Perhaps using the unpacker and following the same guidelines as inserting the Russian soundpack into Precursors?

Diseased Yak said:

That happened to me too. It was driving me nuts because I couldn't figure out how to equip it.

The game is full of some weird shit. One guy just at the edge of town had crashed his car into what looked like a gigantic spider, like something out of a RPG. After talking to him he describes what happened, and starts talking about UFOs and radioactive experiments.

Few questions: is there any way to steal boats? When I try to use one it says "Boat Key needed", so I'm assuming I get a boat key at some point? Also is there any faction I definitely shouldn't piss off?

Clevinger

keuja said:
apparently it's an option in the 1.1 russian patch? Can't try it, I don't even have the game but I feel I'm about to give in :/

I read on one forum that the patches won't work on a version without copy protection, and these (or at least Precursors) don't. If that's true, I hope someone works on a fan-patch.

Confidence Man said:
Few questions: is there any way to steal boats? When I try to use one it says "Boat Key needed", so I'm assuming I get a boat key at some point? Also is there any faction I definitely shouldn't piss off?

I'm not too sure on boat keys, I haven't messed about with it too much. I did get into grief with the Mafia/smugglers; where my first contract job for the Government was to take photos of a beachfront operation - which the smugglers didn't take too kindly to - and after slaughtering their camp, I walked in and met the boss. Took a job after much deliberation, took a cargo shipment across the strait. Unfortunately, my contact immediately took me as a threat due to my prior actions against the faction and he and his cronies started shooting at me as soon as the boat made landfall. I did them in, stole a zodiac, roared back to the first island.

Walked back into the boss smuggler's tent and put a bullet in his head with my magnum.

Because that's how I roll, gringo! :lol

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
I haven't found a key to a boat yet, but I'm sure they're around, or perhaps you get them in some quest line. I did find a 4-wheeler that you can drive by lock-picking it, but it was in the middle of a military base so I didn't try hah.

I'm not sure which faction I'm going to side with. I guess the first one I get a quest from to help will seal that deal.

I downloaded the russian sound files for White Gold and I'm trying to use the grp unpacker from the Precursors link. It threw an error right off, but seems to be unpacking them. Says it is anyway. The Deep Shadows forums are down so I can't get further instruction.

Clevinger

Diseased Yak said:
I downloaded the russian sound files for White Gold and I'm trying to use the grp unpacker from the Precursors link. It through an error right off, but seems to be unpacking them. Says it is anyway. The Deep Shadows forums are down so I can't get further instruction.

Did you put the English main.fat file into that folder along with the other stuff for unpacking?

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Clevinger said:
Did you put the main.fat file into that folder along with the other stuff for unpacking?

Yup. The error was some exception that said I could hit continue and let the program go. I did so, and it says "Working..." but I can't tell if it's actually doing anything yet or not.

I'll update when I find out.

Edit: I can't find where it's unpacking the files, which probably means it isn't working. Where did the grp files unpack for Precursors? Was it in the same directory as the unpacker?

Clevinger

Diseased Yak said:
Yup. The error was some exception that said I could hit continue and let the program go. I did so, and it says "Working..." but I can't tell if it's actually doing anything yet or not.

I'll update when I find out.

From what I remember, it should have a black dos-like box where it lists the files it unpacks.

Diseased Yak said:
Edit: I can't find where it's unpacking the files, which probably means it isn't working. Where did the grp files unpack for Precursors? Was it in the same directory as the unpacker?

It unpacks them into the same folder as the program. So in the same folder as the application, there'll be new folders for stuff like "SOUNDS" created.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
OMG OMG! Ok, I think it's fixed! I figured, why not take a chance, since it seemed like the unpacker wasn't working, so I cancelled it, made backup copies of the two files that were going to be overwritten and simply copied the two files from the Russian copy into the Xenus 2 directory, and it fucking works!! All the spoken dialog is in Russian, though, but it seems to have fixed it. I played for about 10 minutes or so and no drop outs. The drop outs happened immediately for me, before.

Gonna play for a good long while now before I get my hopes too high, but I think this did the trick...

Clevinger

That postprocess fix for ATI cards has been updated. Previously, if you used it, the flashlight would still flicker. With this, it reportedly doesn't anymore:

http://www.mediafire.com/?5ut4ftddteb64rj

Put the "postprocess" folder in your White Gold/Precursors folder.

ALSO, for those with film grain problems. Reportedly, you can disable it without a FPS hit by:

ok go into Precursors folder (not in docs, but on C drive)

locate file (Clevinger note - I assume he means the aforementioned folder?) POSTPROCESS, open
there should be 6 files in here.

alien, grayplanet, greenplanet, redplanet,yellowplanet, and hdr

open each file and at the bottom, locate the line NOISE 0 0.2

change it to NOISE 0 0.0

do this for all six folders. (and remember to re-enable Shader3.0 if you previously disabled it)

no more performance issues, runs great
ENJOY THE CRISPIER GRAPHICS!!!!!!!!!!!

(i posted this in another thread, but i didnt want it to get lost in the forum. maybe we can sticky this?)

Clevinger said:
ALSO, for those with film grain problems. Reportedly, you can disable it without a FPS hit by:

Awesome, thanks. All I need now is an AA option and this game will look the bees knees.

Top Bottom