• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xperia Z/ZL |OT| Experience the best of Sony in a smartphone

This is OT, but there are rumblings from another forum about Sony either working on a new OS or a new app ecosystem. It may or may not be for mobile, and news on it is possibly months away.

Very vague, and possibly false stuff I know... still, anyone heard anything along these lines?

Firefox OS, maybe.

http://developer.sonymobile.com/201...re-for-xperia-e-available-for-developers-rom/

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-ZPIzyhQB-bI/UQY8IqXoovI/AAAAAAAAKj8/M9XbTNvE9XI/s1600/sony_xperia_togari_644_zoll_display.jpg

Sony Xperia Togari, 6.44" phablet, will make the Note 2 look like a midget. I'm very excited, Snapdragon 800, 3GB ram and 3500 mAh battery. I'll probably get one as a tablet.

Snapdragon 800 excites me but that 6.44" screen... I don't think I'd be able to hold it as a phone.

Massa

Kaz mentioned Sony has the PlayStation OS that it plans on growing. Also remember that Vita OS was meant to be built in a way that it could be expanded to other devices.

Yes, and at the Playstation Meeting Andrew House did say they were bringing the Vita OS to other devices this year.

Danj

Got my Xperia Z today. Anyone know where to get replacement screen protectors? I messed up trying to put on the front one, and none of the phone stores around here had any in.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
The Z looks so amazing but my phone cant be upgraded till novemeber :\

Are the flagships coming in 2h expected to be waterproof?

Oh.. er, any recommendation which one to get? I have no idea which if any of those is any good.

Me neither. I never use a screen protected so I don't know if one brand is better or worse than another one. Might be an idea to ask in an XDA thread.

tha_devil

Got my Xperia Z today. Anyone know where to get replacement screen protectors? I messed up trying to put on the front one, and none of the phone stores around here had any in.

im confused...there is already a protector on standard...

Detox

I think that is anti-glare or something. I don't use protectors either and my screen is pristine and I've had it since launch. Just don't put it in pockets with coins and keys etc.

Danj

It comes with one, but it's not already applied. There is some non-protector film with instructions on fitting the sim card etc that is on the phone, but this is not the screen protector, the screen protector was in a separate little bag.

tha_devil

Are we talking about the same phone here? The xperia z comes with a pre installed protector for both front and back (the so called shatterproof sheet).

If u have any more included in your package i believe they are reserves.

Radec

A screen protector to protect your screen protector!

:D

My Note 2 says goodbye today, and i welcome the Z soon.

Danj

Are we talking about the same phone here? The xperia z comes with a pre installed protector for both front and back (the so called shatterproof sheet).

If u have any more included in your package i believe they are reserves.

Maybe it's a difference with the UK model or something? There were preinstalled sheets on the phone but they're not transparent, and the one on the back just had instructions for installing the SIM card, they were about the thickness of tracing paper, they did not seem to be proper screen protectors.

Maybe it's a difference with the UK model or something? There were preinstalled sheets on the phone but they're not transparent, and the one on the back just had instructions for installing the SIM card, they were about the thickness of tracing paper, they did not seem to be proper screen protectors.

Same here (Benelux version). Ugly ass sheets that i ripped off instantly.

Btw i love my new xperia Z :D

There are screen protectors installed on all Xperia Z. You can see it here. Sony also gave extra Screen Protectors with some Xperia Z's that go on top of the one already installed.

tha_devil

Yeah, those sheets are just the ones you always have when unpackaging phone. But 100 percent sure under that are already screenprotectors, as in the link above you can see it doesnt match the phone 100 percent.

chibay

I just bought an Xperia ZL in Indonesia for Rp. 6,699,000. So that translates to US$688.
If you have a question just ask, and I'll reply if I know the answer.

I just want to show the UI of the IR blaster, because I haven't seen people talk about it online.

WRHKynE.jpg

GDfSNVA.jpg
This is the setting up page for the IR Blaster, you can select the device you want (e.g. TV, VCR, DVR and so on). After that is the manufacturer drop-down menu, there's a lot of brands included inside (just ask me if you have a manufacturer you need to find, I'll look them up)

This the what the remote looks like, it has a drop down menu for the type of remote you have. I just checked it out with my Samsung LCD TV, it works but there's a slight delay before the TV changes the channel. I will try again tomorrow, with the other setting (I tried type 1 and 2 just now).

Also tomorrow I'll take a screenshot instead of a photo from my iPhone in a kinda dark room.

I just bought an Xperia ZL in Indonesia for Rp. 6,699,000. So that translates to US$688.
If you have a question just ask, and I'll reply if I know the answer.

I just want to show the UI of the IR blaster, because I haven't seen people talk about it online.

This is the setting up page for the IR Blaster, you can select the device you want (e.g. TV, VCR, DVR and so on). After that is the manufacturer drop-down menu, there's a lot of brands included inside (just ask me if you have a manufacturer you need to find, I'll look them up)

This the what the remote looks like, it has a drop down menu for the type of remote you have. I just checked it out with my Samsung LCD TV, it works but there's a slight delay before the TV changes the channel. I will try again tomorrow, with the other setting (I tried type 1 and 2 just now).

Also tomorrow I'll take a screenshot instead of a photo from my iPhone in a kinda dark room.

I wish Z had IR blaster, I lost my tv remote. :/

It's just been sent for testing and approval. Should be out quite soon.

I hope so. It's already been certified at Bluetooth Special Interest Group's site. I tried Xperia Z and I really like the interface and laggines is my only issue with my phone, which should be fixed with Project Butter. And I want the new Walkman app. Thanks for the update, though, I really appreciate it.

I hope so. It's already been certified at Bluetooth Special Interest Group's site. I tried Xperia Z and I really like the interface and laggines is my only issue with my phone, which should be fixed with Project Butter. And I want the new Walkman app. Thanks for the update, though, I really appreciate it.

No worries. It should be a nice update. Honestly with 4.1.2 the Xperia P will feel like a brand new phone, especially with the new UI and apps. Should be plenty fast as well with the GPU rendering.

Danj

There are screen protectors installed on all Xperia Z. You can see it here. Sony also gave extra Screen Protectors with some Xperia Z's that go on top of the one already installed.

Oh. Wow, I never realised there was one already on there, I just assumed that was the screen surface. Okay well that's cool I guess.

*checks for updates*

No worries. It should be a nice update. Honestly with 4.1.2 the Xperia P will feel like a brand new phone, especially with the new UI and apps. Should be plenty fast as well with the GPU rendering.

Yeah, the new interface and the apps are really beautiful and add a lot to the stock Android experience. But Project Butter is the biggest thing for me. It adds so much to the UX.

Fezan

What jelly bean has been released for xperia p?
Why am i not getting any updates then

Ok then it will be out soon .
Btw i am bit getting video and music unlimited on my play store.
Tried instaling apk but its giving me error

No idea why. Might be an idea to wait until the update. It's not great anyway, unless you got in on the £12 for 1 year of premium deal on PS+.

Mario007

So with the delay of HTC One, Sony's pretty much had the perfect timing for XZ and it seems the decision to go with Snapdragon S4 Pro was the smart one.

So with the delay of HTC One, Sony's pretty much had the perfect timing for XZ and it seems the decision to go with Snapdragon S4 Pro was the smart one.

Sure does look like it. 9/10 people will look pretty blank when you try and explain the difference between APQ8064 and SD600, "yeah, but they are both quad core right?" is the stock answer. Also being a similar sized device overall with a smaller screen has really hurt the One, "why doesn't it have a 5" screen like the Xperia Z and GS4? It's the same size as them anyway".

Overall, Sony have pretty much smashed it with the Z, out a full two months earlier than the GS4 and One which are the main competitors. The sales figures I have seen are very impressive. I hope Sony have a self-congratulatory press release a week before the GS4 launches just to show how popular Xperia Z has been WW. Honestly even with Samsung's advertising strength and manufacturing power, they have a much stronger fight on their hands with Xperia Z than even Sony thought possible. That's quite the achievement.

Akira

Can you share those figures with us? :D

Yeah, Sony needs to do some PR on the sales success of the Xperia Z. Even if it's only passed a million, give us something.

Sure does look like it. 9/10 people will look pretty blank when you try and explain the difference between APQ8064 and SD600, "yeah, but they are both quad core right?" is the stock answer. Also being a similar sized device overall with a smaller screen has really hurt the One, "why doesn't it have a 5" screen like the Xperia Z and GS4? It's the same size as them .

I can guarantee you 100% that no customer ever is going to ask that question

What they will say is "such and such a screen looks nicer" and continue on.

Just about every customer I deal with is against a massive screen.

Top Bottom