• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xperia Z/ZL |OT| Experience the best of Sony in a smartphone

I can guarantee you 100% that no customer ever is going to ask that question

What they will say is "such and such a screen looks nicer" and continue on.

Just about every customer I deal with is against a massive screen.

Do you work in an apple store or something? While I think anything over 4.5-4.6 is not optimal for me, it's pretty obvious bigger screened phones are selling well and the old 4 inch/iphone standard is becoming increasingly extinct for flagship phones. There's a reason apple was forced to increase their screen size.

vivftp

I can guarantee you 100% that no customer ever is going to ask that question

What they will say is "such and such a screen looks nicer" and continue on.

Just about every customer I deal with is against a massive screen.

lol, I counter your 100% guarantee with my own 100% guarantee that there will be customers who ask why this phone has the bigger screen when the phones are the same size.

I know I'd ask it and I'd much prefer the bigger screen. Then of course those same customers can look at the ZL and ask why the hell would they bother with any of those phones when they could get this much more compact model with the same size screen :)

I've never seen any of these phones in person, but it does seem that some prefer the Xperia Z to the HTC one for direct viewing, and vice versa too. For viewing angles though, the HTC takes it. OTOH, some claim they prefer poorer viewing angles so that they can get more privacy with their device, so I dunno...

lol, I counter your 100% guarantee with my own 100% guarantee that there will be customers who ask why this phone has the bigger screen when the phones are the same size.

I know I'd ask it and I'd much prefer the bigger screen. Then of course those same customers can look at the ZL and ask why the hell would they bother with any of those phones when they could get this much more compact model with the same size screen :)

I've never seen any of these phones in person, but it does seem that some prefer the Xperia Z to the HTC one for direct viewing, and vice versa too. For viewing angles though, the HTC takes it. OTOH, some claim they prefer poorer viewing angles so that they can get more privacy with their device, so I dunno...

I have never, ever heard of a customer ask me about screen sizes when looking at non-apple phone (other than "lol the Note is big"). When looking at android their main concerns are how the screen quality is (usually brightness), if its easy to use, I they can get their emails on it and the camera.

They certainly won't be looking at the small difference in size and question why the screen doesn't go closer to the edge on one phone than another lol. Plus the speakers top and bottom of the One kinda make that obvious anyway.

You're thinking too much about questions YOU would ask as a full on consumer of new tech, not what your average consumer is interested in. That's not really how any of these phone manufacturers sell their phones.

And for the other guy that asks, no I don't work for Apple. Thank god.

Akira

Android Police - Sony Xperia ZL Review: Dangerously Close to Smartphone Greatness

Even with the Sharp panel the ZL screen still gets a bad review because of subpar viewing angles. I'm not sure why Sony has such a problem with putting screens with bad viewing angles. Is it really their preference? In the case of the Z and ZL, I feel that the Opticontrast resin layer has been a failure for Sony and hope that they'll keep that shit away from future phones.

If Sony is really going with Sharp's 6.1-inch 2560x1600 panel for their phablet set for summer release, I hope it's the start of Sony competing with the great smartphone screens out there (looking at you, HTC). The 5-inch 1080p panel from JDI with WhiteMagic also looks really good with a 178 degree viewing angle and 2000:1 contrast ratio. Hope that makes its way into the next 5-inch flagship.

On that tangent, I'm also reading rumors about a smaller 4-inch~ smartphone with S800, so it seems Sony is going for 3 flagship level phones in 3 different sizes: 4-inch, 5-inch, and 6-inch. Sony aggressively going for the iPhone 5, Galaxy S4/One X, and Note 2/3?

Marco1

I have someone looking to swap their xperia Z for my iphone5 but as much as I would love to try it, giving up all of the games on my app store is making it really hard.

JonnyBrad

Android Police - Sony Xperia ZL Review: Dangerously Close to Smartphone Greatness

Even with the Sharp panel the ZL screen still gets a bad review because of subpar viewing angles. I'm not sure why Sony has such a problem with putting screens with bad viewing angles. Is it really their preference?

It almost seems that way doesn't it. I'd be surprised if no one has mentioned it in a meeting. They have had terrible viewing angles for quite some time. My missus' arc s is terrible for it.

Maybe they see it as a feature to stop prying eyes. But they certainly never mention it in promos.

They really should make the screens a bigger priority in their phones. They don't match up when compared to an iPhone 5, sgs4 or One and the screen is something a causal buyer will notice instantly.

LOZLINK

So, got this phone a few days ago, and it stopped going into landscape mode. As in no apps. Fuck, already need to grab a new one and it's been 3 days!

So... I'm going to get a new phone. I'm open to anything other than Apple.

This looks pretty sexy, and the Z is cheaper on plans in Australia than a Nokia or Galaxy 3. Is there any reason I would choose one of those over this phone?

Even though I don't think the viewing angle thing is a big deal, it is a really weird issue. Why is it there. Every other major phone doesn't have this problem, so it's odd.

Danj

Even though I don't think the viewing angle thing is a big deal, it is a really weird issue. Why is it there. Every other major phone doesn't have this problem, so it's odd.

Can someone explain to me exactly what this problem is? Because once I got my Z, I tried looking at it sideways from various angles and I don't see the problem?

Fezan

Can someone explain to me exactly what this problem is? Because once I got my Z, I tried looking at it sideways from various angles and I don't see the problem?

its color shifting when you look at an angle from side ways.
Also according to XDA this problem was prominent only in same launch units and reviewers phone. Dont know how much truth there is into these claims

Picobrain

Banned
I must say I really wanted to like this phone (and I did, until I tried it) but I am really disapointed. Yesterday I had a chance to play whit it for around 20 minutes and I was suprised how slow is the UI, It felt slugish.
When compared to my Gnex it's not worth upgrading. I'll wait for HTC One.

Djapri

Neo Member
Just bought this phone a week ago (I'm from Indonesia btw).
This phone is great, so far I don't have any complaint about it.
The battery life is great, it last about 1 day with normal use (making calls, browsing, playing some casual games)
But the best part is the display screen, to hell with Amoled, you don't need that to make a screen looks good
It's a shame that in my country they only know about Samsung when it comes to Android based phone, they don't know what they're missing.

waypoetic

Banned
Looks good. But i won't get one just because it doesn't have (obviously) the Apple AppStore - the most supported appstore out there.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
It is a pretty small issue. I tried one at a store myself. There is a little bit of extra white tint when you tilt to the side, but that's about it .

If you look at the bottom of the phone you will see which week it was manufactured in, after around week 7 the JDI panels started to run out so almost all are made with the superior Sharp panel.

You won the panel lottery.

FWIW the type of Sharp panel is virtually identical to those used in the HTC Butterfly, so if phones with this panel had gone out to reviewers instead of the JDI ones the screen wouldn't be getting such bad reviews.

The thing about larger screens is that you need to use a phone with one before claiming that you don't need one.

I recently upgraded from a Nexus One (3.7in) to a Xperia SL (4.3in) and I initially wanted to get the Xperia P (4in) because I could not justify the need for a bigger screen. I ended up getting the SL and I can say that I'm extremely happy with the screen size after actually using it. And could see myself moving to a bigger screen phone in the future.

Fezan

If you look at the bottom of the phone you will see which week it was manufactured in, after around week 7 the JDI panels started to run out so almost all are made with the superior Sharp panel.

You won the panel lottery.

FWIW the type of Sharp panel is virtually identical to those used in the HTC Butterfly, so if phones with this panel had gone out to reviewers instead of the JDI ones the screen wouldn't be getting such bad reviews.

is it confirmed or it was just a rumor floating around ?

is it confirmed or it was just a rumor floating around ?

Well it's not confirmed officially from Sony, they would never talk about parts suppliers but I'm pretty sure that the JDI panels are finished and if you get a W08 or after it is pretty sure to be a Sharp panel.

Radec

Will there be a wireless charger for the Z ?

I'll probably get the dock since it's pretty cheap, but it might be too "look at me" at the office.

Jeels

So if I want to use T-Mobile, even if I don't want to use non wifi internet, it's the $759 version I want?

Ugh, I don't know how I feel about spending that much on a phone...

Yes but looks a bit more complicated than just entering in the emergency call screen...that code is fucking long and complicated I wonder how these things go out...

It's just the standard service code for Sony phones *#*#service*#*# where service is spelt out on the dial pad

Radec

Okay Gaf, Black or White ?

I'm buying later, but I won't be able to check them out with a demo something, so I have to choose what color first. :/

Okay Gaf, Black or White ?

I'm buying later, but I won't be able to check them out with a demo something, so I have to choose what color first. :/

Purple
3AQmK.gif

Radec

Ha! Not an option.

Anyways I got the black one and it's gorgeous. But a huge fingerprint magnet.

I wish they didn't put a gap between the screen and the bezels, dust or small particles can easily gather there. I also hope the rubberized bezel won't peel off or degrade after some use.

The screen is indeed a letdown, you have to be facing straight at the phone for the 100% color accuracy.

The supplied earphones are not symmetrical though.

Also, the box itself is not worthy of the phone. It's just a cardboard turned into a small box. Even my old W800i's package looks much more premium than this lol.

It's just the standard service code for Sony phones *#*#service*#*# where service is spelt out on the dial pad

i was gonna mention this. many phones have those dialer codes that open secret menus up that allow all sorts of settings to be viewed and changed that you want normal people to stay far far away from.

Jeels

Is that good? It is to me, I am a Nexus S user here. I keep data off (but frequently get on wifi for an hour or two a day) and can hold about 8-12 hours of charge.

Top Bottom