• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0. 1/24/17 Less than a month to go. Let's make a difference.

Jimrpg

I feel so bad for not being able to support this at launch :(
Its been a rough time around here, especially with the currency on Brazil right now, and its just imposible for me to grab it right now :(((
After beating and supporting all Yakuza titles from 1-4 ( not going to lie, 5 I played from PS Plus ) and just going nuts after every localization announcement it just feels off not being party of "Lets make the diference" !
Just wanted to say this thread is an amazing effort and I hope 0 deliveries Sega expectation!
Keep bringin the gifs we need as many people as we can on Yakuza team, guys !

Don't feel bad man, you can always get the digital version in a sale a few months later.

As someone who works in Malaysia at the moment, It's not easy earning decent coin.

plidex

I preordered 0 digitally. If it wasn't for this thread I wouldn't had.

I started 5 but I'm having serious problem with the controllers. One of my DS3 is 100% dead, the other turns on when plugged in but turns off if I start pressing too many buttons.

I'm using the DS4 but L2 and R2 seem to be working like buttons, which messes up my taxi driving skills, which is very sad as I loved that mission and I hope there are more like it.

Past

Holy shit, Angry Joe is going to be reviewing Yakuza 0! That's huge news, this is the first time a big YouTuber is going to be covering Yakuza. This is going to be a big exposure for the series.

NateDrake

Holy shit, Angry Joe is going to be reviewing Yakuza 0! That's huge news, this is the first time a big YouTuber is going to be covering Yakuza. This is going to be a big exposure for the series.

Hopefully its not his first exposure to the franchise.

I was fortunate enough to get a review copy, and I'm an hour and a half in. I'm not allowed to post my impressions yet, but lemme see if I can be subtle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5U9QRiY46I
Indeed. I just finished Chapter 3 earlier in the day.

If you're a real supporter you bought Yakuza Dead Souls. :)

I brought that game twice (getting the first run of the Japanese release no less) and ended up spending 130 hours combined on both my EU and Japanese copies! That last Amon dungeon still haunts me, as at the best of times he can 1-2 hit kill you, and you have to do the whole 90 minute dungeon again... I really need to go back and try plat'ing the game when I have the chance (well, once I've replayed Yakuza 4 and Kenzan at least). Its far from perfect in many ways but I loved Ryuuji and Majima in that game, plus with smoother performance and better controls it could have been something decent. Not great, but still pretty addictive. Guess it helped that all the standard Yakuza stuff was included in the game, so you could take a break from all the zombies and visit the arcade, hostess clubs, and other usual playspots.

It's tough to get good digital or physical deals in Malaysia.

Is importing expensive with customs/duties? It is pretty bad in India with 30% charges on game+shipping. Usually the Amazon prime discount negates a bit of that when people ship stuff here. So far Yakuza 0 business eidtion is staying in USA. Locally R2 stock is releasing and getting 2 copies of that.

Or do games get R3 releases there? Im unfamilar. I konw SG and HK get R3 stock and in many cases R1 as well.

Tailzo

If you're a real supporter you bought Yakuza Dead Souls. :)

I bought that, I bought RGG Kenzan, I bought a japanese and euro copy of Yakuza 3, I have two copies of Yakuza 0 preordered.

I think I am a real supporter :p

The only other game series I am a real supporter of is Shenmue 3, I backed it with 250$, and I only asked for a ps4 copy of the game.

MattyG

Banned
I really want to get into this series, but I want to play it from the start so I'm waiting on that remake of the original later this year (and fingers crossed for 2 to be added to PS2 Classics). Definitely will be picking this up asap, though.

Tailzo

I really want to get into this series, but I want to play it from the start so I'm waiting on that remake of the original later this year (and fingers crossed for 2 to be added to PS2 Classics). Definitely will be picking this up asap, though.

I actually feel that starting with 0, then moving to kiwami is a perfect starting point.

I bought that, I bought RGG Kenzan, I bought a japanese and euro copy of Yakuza 3, I have two copies of Yakuza 0 preordered.

I think I am a real supporter :p

The only other game series I am a real supporter of is Shenmue 3, I backed it with 250$, and I only asked for a ps4 copy of the game.

Owning a Japanese copy of 3 is the way to go for completionists. Not sure I can ever really go back to my Euro copy again after seeing just how much content they trimmed from the English release.

Only other series I'm crazy for myself is also Shenmue (I forget how much I chucked at the kickstarter) and Mega Man (may he rest in piece). Yakuza is the only current gen series that I feel the need to rush out and buy day 1, since it's pretty much the only series I know I won't be disappointed with, and I know I'll always be spending 100+ hours on each new title. With its mini games and combat, its probably the most addictive game I've ever played right after Mega Man!

I'm sure it has been mentioned before, but the guys at Giant Bomb East will be playing the entire series on video, starting with Yakuza 0. I think Dan will be playing.

Ep. wise this is a pre-sequal before part 1, am i on the correct path here?

I ask because i still have Yakuza3 and the one with zombies wrapped ( basically all parts that's been released on ps3 ) Which one would make sense for me to play first. Thx!!

CrazyHal

Wow. I didn't expect this at all. The exposure will be much appreciate... assuming that he likes it.

Ep. wise this is a pre-sequal before part 1, am i on the correct path here?

I ask because i still have Yakuza3 and the one with zombies wrapped ( basically all parts that's been released on ps3 ) Which one would make sense for me to play first. Thx!!

This is the prequel to the first game, with the remake of the first game coming later this year (2 remains PS2 only at the moment, bar Japan only HD remasters for PS3 and Wii U).

You'll miss a few Easter eggs and certain characters that reappear for 0 won't feel as impactful if you've not played the series before but that's nothing to worry about, 0 is the perfect place to start. Only actual issue with starting with 0 and then doing a run through the rest of the series is that the combat was improved in each subsequent game (as are side activities) so going from 0 to earlier games in the series might feel a bit jarring at first (that and 0 runs at 60FPS, making the combat feel way smoother compared to the PS3 releases).

Wow. I didn't expect this at all. The exposure will be much appreciate... assuming that he likes it. Joe has never been good at melee action games.

The series is fairly easy to play though, easier difficulties basically let you mash through the game using your basic combo string, bosses might cause a problem though since they get super armour for their attacks so you can't just button mash through them. So it depends on if he spends a bit of time levelling up and unlocking certain attacks - 0 gives you tons of counter moves (as well as other excellent moves) later in the game that really enhances the combat.

Well...this is kind of the start, as it's a prequel to all the other games. I plan to play 0, and then if I like it, pick up the remake of 1 when it comes out. I'm sure if you've already played the other games there will be easter eggs, but I don't think 0 will be a bad place to start.

Um that man should be dead. If he's not dead that's unrealistic preorder canceled.

fatal injuries work differently in the yakuza-verse.. it's like getting shot with a gun.
The number of situation where a character can die is limited
thank god for the :
-Heat aura
-Training
-Well trained muscles
-Willpower
-
plot armor
-And the list goes on.

IN short , just look out for any explosion and you should be fine

Posted this in the Yakuza Community thread too but didn't get an answer yet so here it is.

Is there a list of the side-activities present in Yakuza 0 and Kiwami?

This is the prequel to the first game, with the remake of the first game coming later this year (2 remains PS2 only at the moment, bar Japan only HD remasters for PS3 and Wii U).

You'll miss a few Easter eggs and certain characters that reappear for 0 won't feel as impactful if you've not played the series before but that's nothing to worry about, 0 is the perfect place to start. Only actual issue with starting with 0 and then doing a run through the rest of the series is that the combat was improved in each subsequent game (as are side activities) so going from 0 to earlier games in the series might feel a bit jarring at first (that and 0 runs at 60FPS, making the combat feel way smoother compared to the PS3 releases).

The series is fairly easy to play though, easier difficulties basically let you mash through the game using your basic combo string, bosses might cause a problem though since they get super armour for their attacks so you can't just button mash through them. So it depends on if he spends a bit of time levelling up and unlocking certain attacks - 0 gives you tons of counter moves (as well as other excellent moves) later in the game that really enhances the combat.

Thx, noted. Might wait for zero release then.

Jimrpg

It's tough to get good digital or physical deals in Malaysia.

Steam has been kind to me, it's basically half the US price and with sales and discounts it's manageable.

Hope he likes it. He can be picky about simple quality of life issues, a bug will drive him nuts. Yakuza is still a series that's set in its old ways in some respects plus it's 0 is two years old now. On the other hand there's plenty of Tom foolery to be had in the game which he'll like. A 7/10 would be my guess.

Is importing expensive with customs/duties? It is pretty bad in India with 30% charges on game+shipping. Usually the Amazon prime discount negates a bit of that when people ship stuff here. So far Yakuza 0 business eidtion is staying in USA. Locally R2 stock is releasing and getting 2 copies of that.

Or do games get R3 releases there? Im unfamilar. I konw SG and HK get R3 stock and in many cases R1 as well.

It's R3 stock in the local game shops (if they have the original) basically never.

I get all my stuff ordered online, my console is Australian and ozgameshop delivers to me in Malaysia for $5.

We also have PSN in Malaysia with ringgit currency. That's probably the way to go because the discounts will beat anything from the local shops. But in short minimum wage is Rm1000 a month (US$250), and it's not really possible for people on that to be spending US$60 on a video game. People who play usually come from well off families

It's super weird that the digital version is still not up in Europe.

I want this digitally but it ain't up yet on uk store, am I going to have to go disc?.

Yakuza 5 preorder only online in the last week. Very annoying but it doesn't make too much of a difference in the long run.

Steam has been kind to me, it's basically half the US price and with sales and discounts it's manageable.

Hope he likes it. He can be picky about simple quality of life issues, a bug will drive him nuts. Yakuza is still a series that's set in its old ways in some respects plus it's 0 is two years old now. On the other hand there's plenty of Tom foolery to be had in the game which he'll like. A 7/10 would be my guess.

It's R3 stock in the local game shops (if they have the original) basically never.

I get all my stuff ordered online, my console is Australian and ozgameshop delivers to me in Malaysia for $5.

We also have PSN in Malaysia with ringgit currency. That's probably the way to go because the discounts will beat anything from the local shops. But in short minimum wage is Rm1000 a month (US$250), and it's not really possible for people on that to be spending US$60 on a video game. People who play usually come from well off families

Yakuza 5 preorder only online in the last week. Very annoying but it doesn't make too much of a difference in the long run.

Thanks for explaining that. I use oz as well for some PAL games through a friend.

Xater

As long as it's early enough to pre-load it's fine. I just don't want to sit there on launch day downloading the thing.

SephLuis

Posted this in the Yakuza Community thread too but didn't get an answer yet so here it is.

Is there a list of the side-activities present in Yakuza 0 and Kiwami?

I don't think there's a list per se, but there's :

Arcade Games - Outrun, UFO Catcher, Super Hang On and another Sega classic I forgot the name (Those are Y0 only)
Woman wrestling ring (both Y0 and Kiwami, though in Kiwami is a card based game)
RC cars racing. This one is in tracks so you control only their acceleration (both games)
Hostess
Hostess club manager (Y0 only)
Money Island. Work buying land and getting money. Yakuza and Monopoly finally meet. (0 only)
Bowling
Baseball
Darts
Pool

I don't remember if there's fishing though

MYeager

I don't think there's a list per se, but there's :

Arcade Games - Outrun, UFO Catcher, Super Hang On and another Sega classic I forgot the name (Those are Y0 only)
Woman wrestling ring (both Y0 and Kiwami, though in Kiwami is a card based game)
RC cars racing. This one is in tracks so you control only their acceleration (both games)
Hostess
Hostess club manager (Y0 only)
Money Island. Work buying land and getting money. Yakuza and Monopoly finally meet. (0 only)
Bowling
Baseball
Darts
Pool

I don't remember if there's fishing though

Fishing for sure is in Y0. So is Mahjong, Gambling (Roulette/Baccarat/Poker/Blackjack)
Fantasy Zone and Space Harrier arcade games
Batting Cage
Collecting erotic videos
Disco Dancing
Karaoke

Jimrpg

Why do the Yakuza games take so much time to be released in the west if they are not translated?

It's usually handled by a very small team maybe as little as one or two people doing the actual translation. That way there is consistency throughout the entire game. It's always weird when two things don't match up because of translation issues. It is after all an interpretation from one person.

If 0 is successful in the west, we could see a reduction in time for the localization. Persona 5 also handled by Atlus is only six months difference between The Japanese and western release so they may have worked in tandem.

I haven't played a Yakuza game since the first one launched on PS2. The story hooked me to the game immediately. Unfortunately, I never finished it. I had a roommate watch me play it and all he did was make fun of the gameplay. I told him it was all about story. Any way, I'll be picking this game when I get my PS4 Pro. I need to go back and finish the others.

Top Bottom