• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0. 1/24/17 Less than a month to go. Let's make a difference.

exfatal

Man been meaning to try this series especially after seeing those dirty finishers. Is this a game where i can just start from zero and eventually work my way up?

Tailzo

I'm going to set aside all other games for this. Since I've decided to wait for the next FFXV patch, that will be easy enough :)

exfatal

Absolutely. This is a great starting point.

Awesome great to hear been watching the trailers, have never been a fan of GTA with the exception of 1-2. But man just watching these makes me excited to finally give this series a try. Awesome fighting moves, over the top action cutscene, and Friday night just chilling with the ladies playing video games and doing karaoke. This game just seems so damn fun and charming. Preordering right now.

antibolo

Banned
I tried playing Yakuza 4 and gave up after a few hours because I was super bored by the slow pacing.

I guess it's just not the kind of game for me.

SephLuis

I tried playing Yakuza 4 and gave up after a few hours because I was super bored by the slow pacing.

I guess it's just not the kind of game for me.

You might want to give this series a new chance. Yakuza 4 pacing is slow because of multiple protagonists and, for the same reason, Yakuza 5 pacing is a wreck.

Yakuza 0 only has two protagonists and things get going fairly quick (unless you're like me and start exploring everything in town).

FTF

I'm doing my part and totally picking this up, looks great and have always wanted to get into the series.

Also, since this will be my first Yakuza game, being that it's 0 and a prequel, it's cool to start here right?

Greddleok

Wow, the OP made me actively want to avoid the game.

The phrase "lengthy cutscenes" is not something I consider a selling point.

mike6467

Ahhhh, this snuck up on me. I still have to finish 5. I've got 120 hours in it, at which point I burnt out and didn't wrap it up (damn you mini games).

Can someone who's beaten 5 give me an estimate on how much longer I've got? I'm at the point that I'm pretty sure is near the end of
Haruka's section, I just got the ability to switch between her and Akiyama

I want to beat it, but I also don't want to burn out again if I can help it.

Edit: I'm not sure why this link isn't in the OP. I think it does a much better job of selling the game, and does it in a more concise manner.

Edit 2: It turns out it is, but it's buried. I'm leaving the link though!

bnx

I'm doing my part and totally picking this up, looks great and have always wanted to get into the series.

Also, since this will be my first Yakuza game, being that it's 0 and a prequel, it's cool to start here right?

Go right ahead!

Wonko_C

I haven't played a Yakuza game since the first one launched on PS2. The story hooked me to the game immediately. Unfortunately, I never finished it. I had a roommate watch me play it and all he did was make fun of the gameplay. I told him it was all about story. Any way, I'll be picking this game when I get my PS4 Pro. I need to go back and finish the others.

Pfff, he doesn't like classic Beat 'em ups like Final Fight or Streets of Rage? Yakuza's fighting lifts a lot from tha genre.

Ahhhh, this snuck up on me. I still have to finish 5. I've got 120 hours in it, at which point I burnt out and didn't wrap it up (damn you mini games).

Can someone who's beaten 5 give me an estimate on how much longer I've got? I'm at the point that I'm pretty sure is near the end of

You still have ways to go.

I recommend you to leave Yakuza 5 for now and wait for Y0. We have roughly around 6 months between Y0 --> Kiwami and then Kiwami --> Y6. Continue Yakuza 5 during one of those Yakuza-less months.

SephLuis

You're 60-70% of Y5 main scenario. And damn at that play time.
I would tell you to focus on the main scenario, but it seems it would be difficult.

Yes, Y0 is one of the best to start.

You still have 1 and a half chapter, then the final chapter left. So QUITE A LOT of game remaining.

If you just want to blaze through the main story and finish it then you can do that, otherwise I'll mirror what SonofSparda said and put it on the backburner.

What ar4757 said pretty much. Story and especially the cutscenes are an integral part of the game so you might not like it unless you just ignore the story and just play for the sake of the gameplay.

mike6467

You're 60-70% of Y5 main scenario. And damn at that play time.
I would tell you to focus on the main scenario, but it seems it would be difficult.

Yeah, it was basically the only game I was playing for 5-6 months or so, and I was using it mostly to chill out and relax when I had a crazy work schedule, and some pretty traumatic personal events going on. It wasn't uncommon for me to jump in and just play mini games for 2-3 hours before bed. All that said, there's still probably 20-40 hours of idling in there.

I was really craving Yakuza after reading the thread, but I think I will shelve 5 until I beat 0. May as well go into 0 with my Yakuza craving at a fever pitch since the game isn't story dependent on 5. Thanks for the responses!

The main issue I have with this game is the same I have with Nier: Automata :

The series have spawned a lot of games that I don't know where to start. (Yes, I read the OP and read what he suggested), but still, despite owning 4 and 5 I haven't played them yet and to be totally honest there are so many games I don't feel like even start to play one.

Starting with Y0 and jumping to 6 fine? How big will the plot cap be? The gaf hype has me interested
Every Yakuza game has a self contained story.

While there will be events that occurred before 6 that are referenced and characters that show up again, Y6 is mainly it's own beast. So just playing Y0 and Yakuza: Kiwami and familiarizing yourself with the characters is the most important thing.

IMO it's not the storylines that matter as much as "gelling" with the characters which only happens after you've spent time with that and in that regard, you're perfectly fine with the order of Y0 -> Y:Kiwami -> Y6.

Plus it can get hard going back to the previous games because you'll have gotten used to the incredibly refined gameplay of Y0 and Kiwami so that might also be a factor.

SephLuis

Starting with Y0 and jumping to 6 fine? How big will the plot cap be? The gaf hype has me interested

luce already answered it, but I should add that Yakuza 6 has recap videos for every main title in the series. You don't need to watch them (and I would say you shouldn't if you intent to play them someday) since each story is mostly self contained.

The series have spawned a lot of games that I don't know where to start. (Yes, I read the OP and read what he suggested), but still, despite owning 4 and 5 I haven't played them yet and to be totally honest there are so many games I don't feel like even start to play one.

In these cases I just say, stop thinking and jump on it. Yakuza 0 is a great starting point for the entire series and Nier Automata is it's own game which happens to have elements/connections to Drakengard/Nier.

Come again? Automata is only the second Nier.
If you're refering to Drakengard, the connection is nothing more than a curiosity, you can read about it if you want to get some context but you don't really need to.

Jimrpg

I watched these yesterday and they give a lot of great information about the series history, particularly Yakuza 1 (shamelessly stolen from Redx508). Forging The Dragon: The Making of Yakuza.

Forging The Dragon [Part 1] - Yakuza Fan

Forging The Dragon [Part 2] - Yakuza Fan

Forging The Dragon [Part 3] - Yakuza Fan

Forging The Dragon [Part 4] - Yakuza Fan

Forging The Dragon [Part 5] - Yakuza Fan

Will add to OP.

another day past =)

17 days to go!

Love your updates and enthusiasm!

Edit: I'm not sure why this link isn't in the OP. I think it does a much better job of selling the game, and does it in a more concise manner.

Edit 2: It turns out it is, but it's buried. I'm leaving the link though!

A few people have answered already but you're about halfway in terms of storyline. If you just did the story, you could beat it in 12-15 hours.

I think if you just played the story you could beat Yakuza 5 before Yakuza 0 comes out. Another 12-15 hours wouldn't burn you out. Otherwise when you come back to it later, you'll be playing an old game that's just not going to be as polished as 0. OR if you want to continue taking your time with the game, beat it before Yakuza 6 comes out early next year.

The Yakuza Series Starter guide is a great Yakuza resource! This one was just a reminder for gaffers to get on board the Yakuza hype train.

You can always skip them and avoid the story, but you'd be missing half the fun. There is usually also lots of dialogue (in dialogue text boxes like a JRPG), that give context to what you have to do.

What's the US and EU release roadmap for the Yakuza games this year?

All PS4 at this stage.

Yakuza 0 - Jan 2017
Yakuza Kiwami (Yakuza 1: Extreme) - Remake of Yakuza 1 with more side content and mini games - Summer 2017
Yakuza 6 - Early 2018

It's hard to know at this stage, but the gamers who have played 6 on import, say its good to know about the events in 5 but its not critical. Each game has their own story arc and there's more than enough story in each for them to be played individually. Looking back on the series, it would not bother me personally to miss the story for a game here or there because there usually aren't that many call backs. There are a number of recurring characters so you'll just have to be more attentive than usual to work out who they are.

MYeager

You can always skip them and avoid the story, but you'd be missing half the fun. There is usually also lots of dialogue (in dialogue text boxes like a JRPG), that give context to what you have to do.

Missing half the fun and almost all the context of any battle. There are long dialog sections where you have to press X to advance, and while someone could power through them faster with X + R1 I'd imagine it would feel pretty tedious to do so. There's a ton of dialog boxes outside of cutscenes.

Rewatched this video. So hyped.

https://youtu.be/CZD2eufsDII
I would recommend people to NOT watch this video because there's some spoilers of the game. I haven't watched entirely but 5-10 minutes in and he was already speaking of things that happen quite later in the game.

Seems like it's a good watch if you already finished the game though.

EDIT: Sorry for double post >.>
Heavy Spoilers?
Yeah, it's a very nice video done by HBH, but if you've already decided to buy the game then please don't watch it. It touches on some story stuff that as someone who hasn't played Y0 yet, I consider to be quite spoilery.

Redx508

I watched these yesterday and they give a lot of great information about the series history, particularly Yakuza 1 (shamelessly stolen from Redx508). Forging The Dragon: The Making of Yakuza.

Forging The Dragon [Part 1] - Yakuza Fan

Forging The Dragon [Part 2] - Yakuza Fan

Forging The Dragon [Part 3] - Yakuza Fan

Forging The Dragon [Part 4] - Yakuza Fan

Forging The Dragon [Part 5] - Yakuza Fan

Will add to OP.

Thanks for adding it to the OP!

i won't be getting it day1(buying RE7) but ill get it before Kiwami lol

Jimrpg

Thanks for adding it to the OP!

i won't be getting it day1(buying RE7) but ill get it before Kiwami lol

Hey there. Those videos are great, I love the background information into making the first game and the key guys behind the series. Even before they started making the game, it seemed like it was difficult to get off the ground. I loved how Yu Suzuki backed this team. And Yakuza 1 is equal favourite for me with 4, and while many people loved the plot in Yakuza 2, I really love the narrative in 1 because it was really personal (to Kazuma).

It's also interesting that Nagoshi did not know much about Kabuki-cho before he made the games. Loved the bit where he was surprised by the cost of drinks at the exclusive clubs. >.<

Redx508

Hey there. Those videos are great, I love the background information into making the first game and the key guys behind the series. Even before they started making the game, it seemed like it was difficult to get off the ground. I loved how Yu Suzuki backed this team. And Yakuza 1 is equal favourite for me with 4, and while many people loved the plot in Yakuza 2, I really love the narrative in 1 because it was really personal (to Kazuma).

It's also interesting that Nagoshi did not know much about Kabuki-cho before he made the games. Loved the bit where he was surprised by the cost of drinks at the exclusive clubs. >.<

yep the videos are well made all the work is done by http://yakuzafan.com/ i just posted it on gaf.

jimmypop

Banned
This will be my first foray into Yakuza, but I don't preorder games any longer. Still, looking forward to the game!

j0hnnix

Every Yakuza game has a self contained story.

While there will be events that occurred before 6 that are referenced and characters that show up again, Y6 is mainly it's own beast. So just playing Y0 and Yakuza: Kiwami and familiarizing yourself with the characters is the most important thing.

IMO it's not the storylines that matter as much as "gelling" with the characters which only happens after you've spent time with that and in that regard, you're perfectly fine with the order of Y0 -> Y:Kiwami -> Y6.

Plus it can get hard going back to the previous games because you'll have gotten used to the incredibly refined gameplay of Y0 and Kiwami so that might also be a factor.

luce already answered it, but I should add that Yakuza 6 has recap videos for every main title in the series. You don't need to watch them (and I would say you shouldn't if you intent to play them someday) since each story is mostly self contained.

In these cases I just say, stop thinking and jump on it. Yakuza 0 is a great starting point for the entire series and Nier Automata is it's own game which happens to have elements/connections to Drakengard/Nier.
All PS4 at this stage.

Yakuza 0 - Jan 2017
Yakuza Kiwami (Yakuza 1: Extreme) - Remake of Yakuza 1 with more side content and mini games - Summer 2017
Yakuza 6 - Early 2018

It's hard to know at this stage, but the gamers who have played 6 on import, say its good to know about the events in 5 but its not critical. Each game has their own story arc and there's more than enough story in each for them to be played individually. Looking back on the series, it would not bother me personally to miss the story for a game here or there because there usually aren't that many call backs. There are a number of recurring characters so you'll just have to be more attentive than usual to work out who they are.

Sold :) Thanks for the feedback. It made it easier to see the direction I should go with releases and the story.

Well you conviced me to make an effort to power through the games on PS3. They've been sitting in my backlog and I loved Y2. I'll try to pick it up when I'm at least partway through my run.

Edit: Apparently this game's setting allows for jumping in. I'll still play the other games. Hmm..more tempted.

Well you conviced me to make an effort to power through the games on PS3. They've been sitting in my backlog and I loved Y2. I'll try to pick it up when I'm at least partway through my run.

Edit: Apparently this game's setting allows for jumping in. I'll still play the other games. Hmm..more tempted.
Just jump in with Y0. It's a great game and as pointed earlier in the thread with the amount of newcomers it should have a very active and fun OT.

ZeroX03

Banned

It's a JRPG, it's to be expected.

I don't think "Yakuza is a basically a 3D Streets of Rage with a deep crime story and contains lengthy cutscenes" is a great description. It's a JRPG with a beat em up battle system.. Unless you're skipping cutscenes and side content, combat is not the bulk of the play time.

Top Bottom