• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 5 |OT| Rage Your Dreams

Near the upper middle of the map, there's a small rectangle that has one of its sides cut off and that's where you go. You gotta run up a smallish hill and it'll be to your left.
Thanks!

And it's better than the Dualshock 4 but it's still no where close to battery powered controllers that last 30-40 hours.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I'm all for variety amongst the playable characters but if they continue with multiple playable characters in 6, they need to start streamlining some of the combat basics to unlock for every character when you unlock it with one. Like when you go into a new character, you go back to just getting hit from behind by dudes and not having any kind of counter, no attack while getting up, no reguard, no bouncing back up and striking. It's so, so awkward.

Dio

Banned
True Suicidal Running is a pain in the god damned ass.

EDIT: The trick is to
listen for his assistants grunts and press R1 to dodge the grenades.

Yawnier

Banned
Finished Saejima's story and I'm about an hour into Haruka's part now

Main Story Spoilers and Speculation:
Wow. That twist about Baba at the end of Saejima's part. Also I don't think Morinaga is the mastermind behind all this trouble. I think him, Baba, and probably a few others are working for the same person who happens to be the traitor and mastermind behind all this in the tojo clan.

Which makes me wonder if Majima is still alive, and the mastermind behind all this? I just don't know if a new unintroduced character at this point in the game, could fit that role you know? Also, there aren't many high ranking tojo clan lieutenants/officers that are still alive and play a major role in this series at this point too anyways, besides Majima that have the pull to do something like this, at least that I know of.

ar4757

The end of Part 2, Chapter 2 really shows Saejima being badass.

I also like how they undid the "oh no, the bad guy was neutralized but he has a gun!" thing that was so prevalent in 3 and 4 by having Kugihara just get shot anyway, even after standing up with a gun.

It's funny, I was happy they beat Kugihara then remembered, someone's probably gonna get shot. I thought oh, maybe he doesn't have access to a gun so he won't even sit up. Then he sat up and almost shot Saejima and/or Baba. Figured Baba would jump in and save Saejima, so I'm glad they managed to surprise me with the detective to the rescue.

So glad I'm done with the virtua fighter minigame. It felt like Akira was cheating his ass off and it was not fun due to its stiffness and the ridiculous damage and speed Akira can do.

Anyone else have an issue with one of Saejima's subquests (the one in chapter 3) where the mother didn't give you the letter the guide says she's supposed to?

Does anyone know if Yakuza 0 lets you change outfits before going to NG+? Really feel like it's a basic feature the series is missing.

I never recall getting an option to change the costume on my first playthrough, I assume its like all other games in the series, restricting different costumes to Game +/ Premium Adventure modes.

Mr Rivuz

I was as well. But, like you just said, the increase in speed more than makes up for the degraded controls... You won't see him escaping far ahead anymore ;). Just to be on the safe side though, bring your taxi level to the maximum too
It worked :) Made a couple of free races to get to level 25, switched to c chassis and i finally beat him. This time on the final lap he was close to me, so with the last heat action i overtook him!

you guys were right with a DS4 the accelerator when racing is weird it acts up sucks I have no DS3 available
Yes it's true, but you can still beat every race and taxi missions using ds4 .
A -1 for sudden acceleration isn't such a big problem when just turning with your blinkers on gives a +3, or answering kindly to your passenger gives a +10... I'm playing with the dual shock 4 and i completed all taxi missions easily.
Only one mission i had to restart a few times, because you had to be quick and people just kept crossing the road slowing me down. It must be hell driving in Japan, with all these pedestrians trying to ram your car from the side...

Spoilers for end of Saejima's Act:
Lol at everyone
getting shot halfway through their revelations. I need to turn subtitles off because the ... keeps spoiling it.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Haruka Question Spoilers

Should I finish Yoko's training all at once or do one before each lesson?

Just do it all at once.

And now I have a question about later in Haruka's part (like chapter 3):

I already know (even though I'm not there yet) that once you hit Part 3 you can freely switch between Haruka and Akiyama. Can I still do Haruka's substories then? 'Cause I'd really like to get to that point ASAP, but if I can't do Haruka's substories there, I'll just have to do them before that I guess.

Nearly had a heart attack when the street battle started and there were like 15 bars on screen, lol. I don't play these types of rhythm games at all.

Past

I am loving Haruka's part so far, but what does it have to do with the main plot actually? I feel like I am playing a completely different game right now lol.

So many idol jobs

She needs more outfits. This game should be a dress up sim all around.

I think what disappointed me the most is that (Part 3 Chapter 2 ending spoilers)
you can't wear the outfit that you picked out with Park. I was looking forward to that because, Haruka has a total of ONE good outfit for most of her idol stuff. The sunglasses outfit is the literal worst.

hamchan

End of Saejima section spoilers:

Damn it Baba, I believed in you! You broke my heart after I worked so hard to prove your innocence and then heal you on that mountain. :(

Also this is a very tight sweater Baba is wearing.

Hasney

So many idol jobs

She needs more outfits. This game should be a dress up sim all around.

I couldn't find any other outfits in the first chapter. Just kept going to the hostess club and being told "I see you're wearing the usual." Your shitty ass town doesn't cater for menswear!

DryvBy

Does anyone else go to the restaurants/bars and find things they want to eat/drink in real life? I'm always starving whenever I play.

Does anyone else go to the restaurants/bars and find things they want to eat/drink in real life? I'm always starving whenever I play.

The one that hit me the worst was the special dish that Tatsuya creates for Tsukimino. Curry soup noodles with deep fried onions and shredded chicken. Looked and sounded amazing.

30 and a half hours and only 17.67 percent completion. I think this platinum will elude me.

Usually only tend to fully complete the subquests and such in the Yakuza games anyway. Don't do the mini-game challenges and locker keys.

How does the length of the 4 and 5th characters' stories compare to Kiryu and Saejima?

I don't understand how to do Foul in baseball mini games. I know nothing to baseball. I tri to hit late, hit wrong, hit early, I eaither get home run or no hit.

Eriugam

Neo Member
I bought Yakuza 5 yesterday, finally after many hours of downloading and installing I've played around three or so hours. So what did I achieve/accomplish?

Well I bought spicy fish for the rival taxi firm, spent half an hour playing the UFO catcher (putting the hook in the hole?) Played Virtual Fighter 2 then played that craazy drum game.

Oh and I took some photos of various landmarks.

I've accomplished absolutely nothing, except I am plus six figurines up and 20,000 yen down.

This game is brilliant. Cannot wait to invest many more hours into this authentic, living and breathing take of modern Japan.

Stuart444

I gave up on that one could never find the good timing

Took me a few tries with that guide, and just listening to when they finish each sentence/said the words in the guide. (Was kinda hard near the end due to laughter overshadowing the voices).

Also Haruka is cute when she gets her revelation :D. Kinda sad there is only one for each person.
Also that fat girl got what she deserved for the way she treated Haruka >_<

20 hours deep and just got into Chapter 2: Part 4. Loving the game but man oh man is it EASY. Even on hard difficulty the only fight I had real trouble with was the very first boss battle.

Do any of you who have played the Japanese version of Zero know if it ups the difficulty any compared to 4 and 5?

20 hours deep and just got into Chapter 2: Part 4. Loving the game but man oh man is it EASY. Even on hard difficulty the only fight I had real trouble with was the very first boss battle.

Do any of you who have played the Japanese version of Zero know if it ups the difficulty any compared to 4 and 5?

0 is harder in my opinion, not as hard as Ishin but its definitely harder than 4 and 5. Still could do with being harder though... (this is based on my experience in playing the games on hard difficulty)

FLEABttn

Banned
I literally re-bought a PS3 (new, which ended up being a lot more difficult than I expected) so I could get in on the Yakuza 5 action tonight.

this game is the fucking GOAT, best series of all time too. finally decided to play the game on the weekend and i clocked 8hrs+ of game time with barely reaching chapter 3 of kiryu lol

this game man, is life, i cant stop doing other activities and i freaking love racing and doing taxi jobs it is like the Initial D i could never play

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Man, I just checked my Yakuza 4 save file. 45 hours the last time I saved after clearing the game and doing some post-game stuff. I'm already at 39 hours on 5 and I'm only up to Chapter 3 of Haruka's story. This game has a ridiculous amount of content. :lol

jorgeton

Nothing like playing through Saejima's hunting portion to make me miss the snow. It's warm up in the east coast y'all.

Saejima chapter 1 & 2 spoilers
Wow, what an arc! From Shawshank Redemption simulator, to hunting and gathering and punching bears in the face. The prison sequence was so slow, def. fell asleep a couple of times during it. But boy does it get good in that final part. I'm loving all these huge brawls the game keeps throwing at me. And it was sooo satisfying to watch Saejima brutally crunch that one-eyed bastard's wrist. cathartic.

Part of me wants to rush through Saejima because I need some dance battles in my life, but I think I'll take my time and try to complete as many hunting missions as I can.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I love how there's so much stuff in Yakuza 5 that you can just see coming if you're a long-time fan of the series.

(I'm gonna spoiler these just in case, but there's no specific plot related stuff.)

Is the game building up a new supporting character as a likable person? They're either gonna die or be a horrible traitor.

Are you less than halfway through the game and someone's about to tell you "the real truth"? Gunshot from off-screen!

A villain has a main character at gunpoint and things look hopeless? Gunshot from offscreen, camera pan to friendly character with gun!

All of these things happen in virtually every Yakuza game. :lol

Top Bottom