• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 5 |OT| Rage Your Dreams

Talk about pouring salt on the wound for Kaoru or female characters in the series in general. Just aren't treated very well! Ie this quip from the detective in fukuoka
about how one of their female detectives got too friendly with a Yakuza. In other words, Kaoru. Apparently really damaged the Osaka police rep and creditiiblity

Dio

Banned
gbzahj.gif

thanks, hack videos

mrmyhthef

Shinada part done.

It's funny that they gave you the entire space of the stadium to fight in. The image of Shinada running around an open field with 20 guys in suits chasing behind him has got to be the goofiest thing in the game.

Yawnier

Banned
Liking Haruka's part so far, including some of the substories.

It is kind of weird, but it isn't bad. Definitely a change in pace though.

Also Haruka spoilers (I'm a bit into Haruka's 2nd chapter)
I don't trust or like Ms. Park at all. She comes across as very shrewd to me.

Liking Haruka's part so far, including some of the substories.

It is kind of weird, but it isn't bad. Definitely a change in pace though.

Also Haruka spoilers (I'm a bit into Haruka's 2nd chapter)
I don't trust or like Ms. Park at all. She comes across as very shrewd to me.
I felt that way at first too. Just you wait though...

hamchan

End of Haruka 2nd part:

Damn it game. You manipulated my emotions with Ms Park and then did this to me. Goddamn it. Poor Haruka.

Thanks to those that helped me regarding Komaki!

Now I've got another question...

For some reason, whenever I enter a fight with Kiryu, the following pops up under his lifebar.

Str__ Fcs___ Spr__

Has this happened to anyone else? Is this some kind of glitch?

Thanks to those that helped me regarding Komaki!

Now I've got another question...

For some reason, whenever I enter a fight with Kiryu, the following pops up under his lifebar.

Str__ Fcs___ Spr__

Has this happened to anyone else? Is this some kind of glitch?

Those are bonuses you get for eating meals after finishing Tatsuya's chef quests

....i kinda wish there was an OT for yakuza 4. I know one was made eons ago but its buried in community with tons of discussion already in it. Given the amount of attention yakuza has been getting I can see a lot of people just now playing that game before they get into 5.

Also does yak 4 have baseball?

Oh, right! I had to rush through that explanation. Thank you!

It pays to reread in this game. I missed a ton by skimming haha and you're welcome.

....i kinda wish there was an OT for yakuza 4. I know one was made eons ago but its buried in community with tons of discussion already in it. Given the amount of attention yakuza has been getting I can see a lot of people just now playing that game before they get into 5.

I think posting here should be fine as it's relatively active.

And yakuza 4 does have batting cages

I just started playing and the multiple chapters/characters has me confused. Are they all available at some point? Do they share level progress/inventories? I have Ishin and I like to play at my own pace, minigames etc... how jarring is it when it switches characters on you?

First shogi guy destroyed me 3 times, no idea what I'm doing!!

Each individual character has their own levels and inventory. I haven't made it to the end yet but, if it's anything like Yakuza 4, then the characters will share their inventory at the end of the game.

it has batting center but not leveling and gear mechanics like with Shinada who is a character focused around baseball in 5

Mr Rivuz

I hate Virtua Fighter 2. Got to Jeffry, and he just always destroys me with 2 moves. I wish to 100% Yakuza 5 but i think i'll never be able to finish this thing.
edit: ok, just beaten Jeffry by pressing punch the fastest i could. Now it's the ninja guy turn....

I hate Virtua Fighter 2. Got to Jeffry, and he just always destroys me with 2 moves. I wish to 100% Yakuza 5 but i think i'll never be able to finish this thing.
edit: ok, just beaten Jeffry by pressing punch the fastest i could. Now it's the ninja guy turn....
Use Jeffrey and spam the L2 move (the butt move). You'll ring out every opponent ;)

Mr Rivuz

Wow it worked fine until i got to Dural in that dumb underwater fight. I lost with her but in the completion screen i got a 10/10 with a crown for Virtua Fighter 2, so i guess i'm done with it! Never again!

kuroshiki

finished game today. damn fine game, even though there were holes in the story here and there.

I'm so glad Sony/Sega changed its mind and released this game stateside.

also.

Sega please explore/expand further haruka's game style. I now want to play idol making RPG where you get exp with dance battle, tons of events, and ultimately become the top idol in the industry.

It was SO GOOD.

aravuus

Plot twiiiiists! Finally done with Kiryu's part, definitely looks like I'm taking my time with it. Might have to pick up the pace a bit if I want to play Underrail this year too.

But yeah, loving it so far!

heringer

I can't wait too see everybody's ranking after they are finished with Yakuza 5. Will it top Yakuza 2? Or at least 4?

I'm playing 4 right now and really enjoying it. More than Yakuza 2, even though the story isn't as good so far. But the gameplay is so.much.better. It's funny how some simple design decisions can make nearly identical mechanics so much more enjoyable.

MaxiLive

I just got the game last night and played the first hour or two and its already fantastic!

The cinematography, the serious tones of the Yakuza mixed with the comical characters of your boss and the living world around you.

I had to go pick up a gift to apologise for me breaking one of the sacred Taxi rules which led me to overhearing 3-4 civilians suggestions of gifts for various reasons. After walking around I ended up at one of the convenience stores which had a cover of Nights Into Dreams playing in the background as I went to the ATM.

First off I'm impressed by the highly detailed environment of the convenience store, each shelf is filled with different products and it looks really believable. Then I check out the shelf of Manga in which you can read 20-30 issues?!!! Such a minor part of the enviroment with some much content an believability.

The characters have already been fantastic and the situations they have ended up in all top notch. I can't wait to see where this game goes :D

Combat has been tricky so far but I just don't think I've figured out how to block/dodge peoples attacks yet, everytime I try to block/dodge they still hit me. But so far so freaking good I just love the attention to detail and the dialogue between characters.

Almost 20 hours in, I'm still doing Kiryu's section :lol:... and I usually get bored really fast with overbloated games. This really is one of the finest games ever!

Tizoc

Hahaha holy shit the Rouge of Love part was hilarious

http://zippy.gfycat.com/RequiredGeneralHectorsdolphin.webm

I'll never get tired of posting this ;)

I don't think you should pick up the keys at all if you can help it. Just wait for Akiyama. The reason why is because Haruka doesn't go into the Kamiyama Works van, so you can't invest any of the items she picks up into the shop.

Also, it's very clear that the idol stuff is for the most part SUPPOSED to be creepy. Do you really think it'd make your player character shake hands with creepy weirdos sniffing their hands afterwards to make you feel good about it?

EDIT:

What are your favorite dance pieces, y'all? I really like this track.

Ryu ga Gotoku 5 - OST [Vol. 2] - 13 - Comin'at ya, My girl
I picked up one Key, couldn't resist, hopefuly it's a healing item :p

So Nagoshi and co. intended for the Hostess thing to feel weird?

rotar2

Neo Member
Anybody have any tips on beating one of the Haruka's substories?

The one where you have to do the
comedy routine with the guy.
I just can't seem to fill up the bar within the duration.

Well, that's Darts down. Definitely the easiest its ever been in my opinion, very easy to get Ton 80s.

Managed to do a few more side missions as well. I love the
movie acting side mission, I loved it in Yakuza 3 and its just as damn fun now. Some of the optional dialogue you can use is hilarious - especially the "your a campfire" line, that cracked me up for some reason!

Also did the
Yuya
side mission. Another nice nod back to previous games, I always liked the fact that this character had story progression throughout the series. Its an example of why I love the characters/side missions in this series.

Taxi racing with the Daytona theme is so awesome as well, makes me want a new Daytona game (or just Daytona 2 in Yakuza 6).

Anybody have any tips on beating one of the Haruka's substories?

The one where you have to do the
comedy routine with the guy.
I just can't seem to fill up the bar within the duration.

This was a nightmare for me when I played the game through originally. Just getting the best response won't do, you need to get the timing of the dialogue just right. It'll take a while to get the timing down, its a pain in the ass to do.

raven777

Saejima question.
I can leave the hunting village now. Can I leave now, come back later and do all those hunting missions without missing any?

Laughed so hard at this game last night during Saejima's Ramen delivery side story. Took a single step and fell on my ass. Unfortunately it had been quite some time since I last saved so I had no choice but to continue. Hope it didn't give some super rare material as a reward lol
Yes, although wouldn't it be better to get it over with :p
Poor Baba was sitting there for god knows how long with his frostbitten hands, waiting for me to finally say "alright let's go to the city"

Laughed so hard at this game last night during Saejima's Ramen delivery side story. Took a single step and fell on my ass. Unfortunately it had been quite some time since I last saved so I had no choice but to continue. Hope it didn't give some super rare material as a reward lol

Poor Baba was sitting there for god knows how long with his frostbitten hands, waiting for me to finally say "alright let's go to the city"

Don't feel bad. I was walking along well, made it near to the end of the street when those damned slipping pedestrians got me. There was no room to dodge.

(Haruka's chapter) It's quite liberating being able to run everywhere without getting beaten up every 30 seconds.
I think Akari-chan is about to flake on me in a big way, though.

Top Bottom