• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 5 |OT| Rage Your Dreams

This tailing taxi mission is annoying. Adding the challenge of staying at a certain distance from another car on top of all the normal traffic rules makes things rather frustrating, especially when you have a stream of pedestrians going through a crosswalk and there's nothing you can do but sit there and let the other car get away.

This tailing taxi mission is annoying. Adding the challenge of staying at a certain distance from another car on top of all the normal traffic rules makes things rather frustrating, especially when you have a stream of pedestrians going through a crosswalk and there's nothing you can do but sit there and let the other car get away.

Ugh, that mission...

That was definitely the most annoying of all the taxi missions. I think it took me like six tries before I finally cleared it.

Stuart444

Just finished Shinada's section. The fight with
Daigo was tough, lots of throwing and countering.

I really enjoyed his section, not a fan of base ball but I really enjoyed his whole story.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
In Harukas section here, just started but
I really don't trust Ms Park, there's just something really 'off' about her

Peff

Man, the Saejima section is such a huge upgrade over his stuff in 4. Such a cool setting and the hunting mini-game is fairly well-done and quite engaging (even if the draw distance is straight out of Sonic Adventure 1, heh). He's also much better as a character now.

It's pretty crazy to think that this game came out shortly after Assassin's Creed 3, and from a mid-budget Japanese developer to boot.

Tenrius

That quiz sub-story was a little difficult. Had to google a few of the questions >_<.

Also that Ramen mini-game gets hard near the end >_<

I think the Math question was mistranslated (maybe? I'm bad at math),
there was no "Six in thirty six" which was the correct answer according to the guy, only Seven in thirty six. (I forget what the Japanese version had it as but I'm assuming mistranslation) - it still says I got 4/5 right though so maybe all answers were wrong and it wasn't a mistranslation? I don't know lol.

6/36 = 1/6, so that's the correct option!

So I failed one of Saejima's side quests and I can't retry it. Am I screwed for 100%?
It was the ramen delivery minigame

In the past games, it didn't matter whether you failed or suceeded in a substory, you just had to play it to a conclusion of some kind. It's probably the same in this one.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Only just started Shinada's section, but I really like him as a character so far. Refreshing change from the super serious rest of the cast. I mean, I'm sure shit'll get real with him soon enough, but for now he just seems like a goofy everyman type of character and that's fun. :lol

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Non-spoiler question for anyone who's finished the game: About how long is the final chapter compared to the others? I've been taking my time and doing most of the important stuff with each character (training, substories, etc) and I'm at around 52 hours at the start of Shinada's part.

Stuart444

Non-spoiler question for anyone who's finished the game: About how long is the final chapter compared to the others? I've been taking my time and doing most of the important stuff with each character (training, substories, etc) and I'm at around 52 hours at the start of Shinada's part.

Well I'm almost done. If you just do the story stuff, it's probably a few hours worth. (more if you fight every random fight though probably :p ).

Should be done within the next hour or two iirc. I forget how long this took me in the JP version.

saejima beginning was pretty nice from story view, tal
king to 50 random prisoners on the other hand was garbage.

also if i ever see them pull this shit off again: "turn your back on the enemy and make sure there is a gun somewhere nearby", i'll fly to japan and tear down all tanning salons personally.

now on to, uh, punching
bears
. kinda saved it there.

Stuart444

Aside from one fight at the very start of the game, painfully easy.

Like, press square and triangle to win.

That's an over-exaggeration. Doing that will get you killed considering how easily the AI counters. (ok this is mostly bosses but still, that's a sizable number of fights)

Also does NO ONE get that you shouldn't piss off Kiryu? Because everyone who should know better obviously doesn't haha.

edit: I underestimated how long it'd take me. I'm quite near the end but with lots of talking and cutscenes still to go, I'm saving the rest until tomorrow. I think I'll be done quite quickly when I start playing though :D

That's an over-exaggeration. Doing that will get you killed considering how easily the AI counters. (ok this is mostly bosses but still, that's a sizable number of fights)

Yeah, obviously it's a bit of an exaggeration. Still, aside from that one fight at the Hostess Club right at the start of the game, I haven't really felt threatened during most of the game. But I'm in the last chapter of Saejima's story, so maybe the difficulty ramps up later.

Aside from one fight at the very start of the game, painfully easy.

Like, press square and triangle to win.
I wouldn't go as far as saying it's painfully easy... but it's true that the hardest bit is the first fight. After that you level up quite fast and it becomes a breeze. I think I beat
the last awesome battle at the end of Kiryu's part
without using a single health item.

BTW I think you can lower the difficulty setting for the amon fight, can't you?

Will having a substory say "done" instead of "resolved" screw me over in regards to completion percentage or trophy progress? Seeing that done in a list of resolved is really bothering me.

Will having a substory say "done" instead of "resolved" screw me over in regards to completion percentage or trophy progress? Seeing that done in a list of resolved is really bothering me.

You'll be fine. Getting "done" instead of "resolved" won't affect your percentage or chance to fight the secret boss.

Tizoc

Yo
so uh Haruka and Akiyama's chapter
Go to Iwao Bridge as Haruka and there'll be a
Well there's
Yeah
Yeah
How do you even

OK....

Stuart444

Yeah, obviously it's a bit of an exaggeration. Still, aside from that one fight at the Hostess Club right at the start of the game, I haven't really felt threatened during most of the game. But I'm in the last chapter of Saejima's story, so maybe the difficulty ramps up later.

I'd say some of the later bosses are rather tough (playing on normal). I've had to learn to be a lot more conservative rather than just attacking non-stop. Also had to learn to start dodging and blocking and stuff.

Toughest fight yet was the final 'boss' (but not the final fight) of Shinada's section. (seriously, that was a fun fight though :D really enjoyed it)

That Shinada sub story about going to a job interview....0_o

I know XD. Went wtf at it.

Random thought, but I don't think I've ever seen city snow realistically depicted in a video game before. And by realistic I mean nasty black snow that piles up alongside the streets from shoveling.

Also yeah I'm really enjoying Haruka's chapter. Much more than I ever thought I would.

okay SUPER mega spoiler question about Yakuza 4 and 5; Saejima flashback story and directly related to Yakuza 5 events :

before the 18 yakuza hit made by Saejima, he talks with Majima and a girl in the summer, was that Park ? Did they mention her name ? Was she introduced as his girlfriend ? I remember something about her being his sister, but with the revelations in 5 that Park was married to Majima, I wonder if she was the girl from 4 in the flashback

Is there a place with good walkthrough of the game including side missions?

I'm using this one :

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/yimbocarimbo/RGG/Games/RGG5/Substories/index.htm

its very good and even if its based on a rough japanese translation, the dialogue options never change places so you can always pick the right one. I used this and substories were a breeze.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
okay SUPER mega spoiler question about Yakuza 4 and 5; Saejima flashback story and directly related to Yakuza 5 events :

before the 18 yakuza hit made by Saejima, he talks with Majima and a girl in the summer, was that Park ? Did they mention her name ? Was she introduced as his girlfriend ? I remember something about her being his sister, but with the revelations in 5 that Park was married to Majima, I wonder if she was the girl from 4 in the flashback

It was exactly who it said it was. Saejima's sister Yasuko.

At the final chapter right now, have some cleanup on substories, and unlocking levels past 20, and of course the hidden boss to deal with before I finish things up. Hope to have it done tonight. What might be the biggest pain is leveling Akiyama and Tatsuya

I don't get many of the complaints saying this one had a weak story, in fact in many ways this might be the most grounded logical Yakuza game ever (not saying much, . I mean there is still a HUGE chance for the story to shit the bed at the end, kinda like how 4 did.

Stuart444

So I have finished the main story of Yakuza 5. I forgot how epic that final fight was. This is easily one of my GOTYs. Such a great game <3.

For anyone wondering, from what I can see, you CAN do side quests including Haruka's in Premium Adventure mode. I only went outside but I saw a side quest symbol as her right away in Kamurocho so I suspect everything can be done as her after the game is complete if you're worried about it :)

Complete time (without doing everything possible): Just over 67 hours (forget how many minutes lol) and at 12% complete haha.

I'd recommend having a lot of health items for everyone (StaminaXX which you can get from the shop near New Serena) before proceeding in the finale final chapter. Better safe than sorry because there is a lot of fighting, a lot of cutscenes and no save point between them :)

Anyway yeah, great great game <3

I don't get many of the complaints saying this one had a weak story

Some people are saying that? o_O I thought the story was pretty damned good. I only have a small complaint about the ending. Mainly at how abrupt it feels like even with the after credits scene but apart from that, I loved the story of the game. <3

MYeager

At the final chapter right now, have some cleanup on substories, and unlocking levels past 20, and of course the hidden boss to deal with before I finish things up. Hope to have it done tonight. What might be the biggest pain is leveling Akiyama and Tatsuya

I don't get many of the complaints saying this one had a weak story, in fact in many ways this might be the most grounded logical Yakuza game ever (not saying much, . I mean there is still a HUGE chance for the story to shit the bed at the end, kinda like how 4 did.

Now I played through the Japanese version and the guide I used wasn't very descriptive for much of the last character or end parts however I thought it
was weaker than many of the prior ones because it's ridiculously convoluted with the number of characters who 'die' but aren't really dead and the end sequence is so over the top that I thought they were perhaps mocking some of the endings of prior Yakuza games. The final scene is great though. I thought the pacing was worse than any Yakuza game before it as well. It didn't feel like a constant build up towards an exciting climax as it felt like a series of small build ups to a goofy climax. Kazuma for example, we get his build and even if you try and play it straight forward you're not seeing the next portion of where they left off of his story for another 20-30 hours at least and if you do the side stuff it can be 50+ hours before you see the next part. By that time I had to look up what was happening in his section again.

I'm certainly enjoying the localized version a lot more as there's just a bunch you miss out on even with a translation guide. I'm hoping that pans out all the way through and I enjoy the story more than I did with the import.

oh my god fuck this ufo catcher minigame

Edit: Finally got that damn dragon. Anyway, what contains anthocyanins?

Edit 2: NVM, accidentally got it while eating a strawberry parfait

Top Bottom