• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 5 |OT| Rage Your Dreams

DasFool

I'm really interested in giving this a shot as I still have my PS3 hooked up. Never playued any of the previous Yakuza's before though.....how is this one for newcomers to the series ?

Yakuza 5 is great at being a self-contained story. Most of the plot elements are relevant only to this game so you won't miss too much. Many of the protagonists/side characters have been in previous games, so you will be missing a lot of background. Not much of it is plot necessary. Either way, this or Y4 are a pretty good starting point for newcomers.

Gameplay-wise, this one is the best in the series. The battles load damn near instantaneously and the controls are as good as ever. There are 5 playable charaters for 5 cities. Each location and combat style feels different than the rest. I believe a main story run will take around 30-40 hours. The game contains so much to do that it might feel overwhelming.

How do you uncap Haruka's level? Stuck at 20 now with abilities to earn.

When you go to Kamurocho,
Find Ryuugujou (if you played 4 it's in the same place) as Kiryu. If you finished Sosuke's training, he'll be wandering outside. When you talk to him, you'll have access to the dojo with all characters. That's the uncap location.

Tainted

Yakuza 5 is great at being a self-contained story. Most of the plot elements are relevant only to this game so you won't miss too much. Many of the protagonists/side characters have been in previous games, so you will be missing a lot of background. Not much of it is plot necessary. Either way, this or Y4 are a pretty good starting point for newcomers.

Gameplay-wise, this one is the best in the series. The battles load damn near instantaneously and the controls are as good as ever. There are 5 playable charaters for 5 cities. Each location and combat style feels different than the rest. I believe a main story run will take around 30-40 hours. The game contains so much to do that it might feel overwhelming.

Thanks. I may try to pick up a cheap copy of Y4 first then and get this later when its slightly cheaper.

Is there any chance at all of this being re-released on the PS4 ?

Shinada's part is done. Is it just me or some of those twists were really predictable? Like
the coach being involved in the Nagoya family and events from 15 years ago
or
the mask man being Daigo.

But man, I'm sooooo glad I decided to watch Diamond no Ace a while ago. Not only the technical baseball stuff but the whole
carrying dreams of other people/players
made much more sense thanks to watching the first season of Diamond no Ace.

Overall the story has been pretty interesting thus far. Can't wait to see how they connect all the pieces together in finale. Now, finally back to
Kamurocho
with
Kiryu
! Man, I missed this silly
town
so much.

DasFool

Thanks. I may try to pick up a cheap copy of Y4 first then and get this later when its slightly cheaper.

The game is three years old in Japan and they've moved three games since then (0, Ishin, Kiwami) and are now working on Yakuza 6. Very unlikely.

0 is releasing on PS4 sometime in the future, though.

I think I've done Saejima's hunting missions. This game is really enjoyable. I wish the hunting game controlled a bit better. Mainly in respect to traps and stuff. I wish I could just walk over the traps instead of clicking.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Haven't had a chance to play this for a few days but back to Harukas section now :)

Is it me or is her sub story with
the stand up comedy
by far one of the hardest things in the game ? It's absolutely kicking my ass!

MYeager

That's probably the best because I disagree with DasFool, there's very little in Yakuza 5 that's self contained. It opens assuming you know who these established characters are and stuff like why the head of a Yakuza clan would get into a random taxi. Yakuza 4 at least has a lot of new characters who are brought up to speed so it's more new player friendly.

Astarte

Oh man I just hit Haruka's part and I'm having the TIME OF MY LIFE.
IDOL LIFU!
Also god damn Park is the spitting image of my aunt in looks and the way she acts :/

Jimrpg

I'm about five hours in, but even still, there's a lot to do here. I'm enjoying exploring the new area. I'm doing a lot more minigames this time around and playing around with the combat. The taxi missions are cool, and ive checked out a lot of the shops and played darts. Story so far has been excellent as well. I was pretty hyped before the game and it has exceeded my expectations.

The only minor negative thing about this game is that its really showing its age in the graphical department, 720p30fps, shimmering, aliasing. The art direction and attention to detail is beautiful but the PS3 can't handle it anymore. The cutscenes look fantastic though. This game needs a remaster on the PS4
& PC

Finale Chapter 3

The 4 way brawl on top of Kamurocho Hills is too godlike. Too bad they're too scared to show who would win between Kiryu and Saejima lol. PS Kiryu would win.

raven777

I am still on Saejima on playtime says 65 hours.

Over 30 hours is just me turning on the PS3 and do other shits like eating/using internet though. :p

8bit

Knows the Score
Akiyama just turned up, which is a relief as the Haruka stuff is kind of grating due to a lack of hitting people with bikes. Also, I got all four Monkey Ball toys out of the UFO catcher.

I'd love to see more of him but I don't think we will he is probably a one time deal like Tanimura since he is a famous actor

Is that the reason Tanimura only ever starred in one game? I had always assumed it was because he wasn't a very popular character or something.

That's actually kind of a weight off my shoulders if true, since he was my favourite character to play as in 4, and I've always been a little resentful that he hasn't featured in a Yakuza game since.

Megauap

I was downloading the game and when it reached around 80% my console froze so I had to do a hard reset. Now it is "repairing the database" but it is only at 45% after 14 hours. Is this normal?
I was so hyped to play some Yakuza 5 yesterday :(

Tizoc

Just got to the top of
Kamurocho Hills Boss Fight
This plot is getting more badonkers by the second :V

Tizoc

Who is 6? I can't remember them.

Those character poll results are pretty surprising.

That's Baba-chan :p

Fuck yeah Majma Goro at #1, we need more of his craziness. Seriously he should be in Y6 and his arc/chapter would be him going on crazy escapdes for no reason other than him reveling in the insanity of it all.

Arctick

Caved in and bought this at AUD$50 today. I have no idea why and I still haven't had time to touch Yakuza 4 yet. Only played a little of Yakuza 1 and I'm planning to run through Y1-3 stories on youtube.

Is it worth it to go buy Yakuza 3 and play that after the start of the new year, or should I just try to catch up on the story up to 4 and play from there? Is it worth it to play Y3 or does Y4 and 5 play better to the point that its not worth the time and money to hit up Y3?

Just don't know if i'll want get burnt out on the series.

Tizoc

Caved in and bought this at AUD$50 today. I have no idea why and I still haven't had time to touch Yakuza 4 yet. Only played a little of Yakuza 1 and I'm planning to run through Y1-3 stories on youtube.

Is it worth it to go buy Yakuza 3 and play that after the start of the new year, or should I just try to catch up on the story up to 4 and play from there? Is it worth it to play Y3 or does Y4 and 5 play better to the point that its not worth the time and money to hit up Y3?

i SUGGEst playing in order: Y3, 4 and 5. That's how I got into the series :p

Dat Majima tho ❤️ He has always been my favorite so not surprised he is NR1 but why the fuck is Daigo that high anyway he is shit ...

Daigo at 5 and Saejima at 3? And no Shinada?

Yeah, Ryu Ga Gotoku fans have very different tastes compared to me.

Yakuza 3 is absolutely worth playing. But if you are afraid of getting burnt out then you can just jump to 4. Actually, you don't need to YouTube the recap for earlier titles since both Yakuza 3 and 4 have them in the menu.

hamchan

i disagree since kaz's chapter is filled with callbacks to previous games and delves into yakuza political schisms that stress at least a cursory familiarity with the series as a whole.

y4 is probably a better place for newcomers since it begins with akiyama

Clive

Are the sidequests and minigames better in yak 5 than in yak 4?

I love yak 4, but oinly because of the main story thus far.

The characters have a pretty lengthy side story each and some of these are good like hunting and racing. They also serve the purpose of gaining a few levels and getting money/loot. The substories and minigames are largely the same in quality as in Yakuza 4 apart from that in my opinion. I'm not 100% done with the game yet though.

Top Bottom