• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 5 |OT| Rage Your Dreams

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Saejima's a great character (even better now that he isn't painful to look at; amazing what a haircut can do). If they could only improve the pacing of his gameplay stuff, he'd be even better.

Mohasus

Question about a sidequest in chapter 3:

How am I supposed to buy Yoko's book? I found the bookstore but there is no way to buy the damn thing.

Shin-Ra

Just started this morning and the jaggies are sawing my eyes out but I'm sitting well away from the TV to compensate. ;)

So far it's batshit insane, just how I like Yakuza. I didn't pay too much attention to all the new mini games in the pre-release buildup so it's mostly a surprise.

Yawnier

Banned
I'm not finished his part yet, but I haven't enjoyed Akiyama as much in this game compared to Yakuza 4 so far. He seems to be in a lot more of a backseat role, idk.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
67 hours, 40% completion, and still not done (up to Haruka's part in the final chapter). Aiming to get as much as possible done before finishing the story without burning out (which finishing Haruka's side-jobs is putting me dangerously close to, ugh there's so many).

Wouldn't be surprised if my final time is double or close to double the time it took me to finish Y4.

Sgblues

How am I supposed to buy Yoko's book? I found the bookstore but there is no way to buy the damn thing.

You don't actually buy the book, just go to Ohkando bookstore to see two women talking, then Revenge books, then talk to Yoko and get a 16 piece takoyaki set from the vendor(can have this beforehand)

Yawnier

Banned

You go back to Yoko after you visit the two bookstores and she gives you her copy of the book, I think

Docpan

Just started this morning and the jaggies are sawing my eyes out but I'm sitting well away from the TV to compensate. ;)

So far it's batshit insane, just how I like Yakuza. I didn't pay too much attention to all the new mini games in the pre-release buildup so it's mostly a surprise.

You serious brah? Looks great on my tv and I haven't been back on ps3 since ps4 came out.

Maybe it has to do with the output from your tv since the ps3 is sending a 720p signal for this game?

Make sure to set the tv to "pc" mode so no post processing ruins the image.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
If Baba survives the game (still haven't beaten it yet, so WHO KNOWS), I can see him being playable in the future. Seems really popular, and he's not quite as old as the rest of the main cast so they could have him around for the long-term.

Of course if he doesn't survive, this post looks really dumb. :lol

Arex

Goddamn these TSet girls
making Haruka beg like that!
hope I can still retry that comedy thing later. The ? Sign is gone haha

It's weird how this is the most popular OT for a Yakuza game yet, given how it's exclusive to a system that is well past it by now and also digital exclusive. No other installment in the series can match the number of replies 5 has gotten so far. It gives me the fuzzies.

delSai

Goddamn these TSet girls
making Haruka beg like that!
hope I can still retry that comedy thing later. The ? Sign is gone haha

You can try them over and over again. Just talk to the dude and he'll ask you if you want to give it another go.

It's weird how this is the most popular OT for a Yakuza game yet, given how it's exclusive to a system that is well past it by now and also digital exclusive. No other installment in the series can match the number of replies 5 has gotten so far. It gives me the fuzzies.

Just wait for 0 to come out next year. I think it's going to be waay bigger.
I still cant believe that it's actually coming. Like damn.

Just wait for 0 to come out next year. I think it's going to be waay bigger.
I still cant believe that it's actually coming. Like damn.

Yeah I can't believe Gio announced it was being localised before 5 even came out, what a shock that was. I totally expected Sony/Sega to eye up the sales 5 managed and base their decision around that. Has 0 actually been confirmed for a 2016 release then? I'd best alter my top ten most anticipated games list if that's the case.

And yes, 0 should have a shot at some half-decent numbers being a retail release and PS4 exclusive over here. That's hopefully introduce a lot of new people to the franchise.

cj_iwakura

2qDmgud.png

Could they really not come up with a better way to introduce gameplay into Saejima's part than this "image training" fantasy about going to a hostess club? So weird.

Yawnier

Banned
Got to Shinada's part an hour ago. Holy shit this guy sucks at bare handed combat, I guess the point of him is that he isn't tough or experienced in combat like Kaz or Saijima but still....

Squishy3

Got to Shinada's part an hour ago. Holy shit this guy sucks at bare handed combat, I guess the point of him is that he isn't tough or experienced in combat like Kaz or Saijima but still....
The thing with Shinada is that he can grab out of any of his regular combos (IE Square square square triangle circle) and perform a finisher, and later on he gets a skill that lets him pick people back up again by continuing to hold circle after he performs a grab finisher.

He was my favorite character to play as besides Kiryu, since he was the only genuinely new one, since you played as Saejima and Akiyama in the previous game.

squall23

He's a weapon master though. He'll kick the shit out of anyone with pretty much anything.

Astarte

Oh my god the comedy sidequest with Haruka murdered me. I had to get my Japanese speaking cousin to give me cues as to when he'll stop talking to even do the parts.

What's the deal with Haruka and locker keys. I remember someone saying that there is a special procedure for stuff she gets because she is cutoff from sharing items in the item box or something?

squall23

What's the deal with Haruka and locker keys. I remember someone saying that there is a special procedure for stuff she gets because she is cutoff from sharing items in the item box or something?
The deal is to not use her to get keys. The proper way is to
let Akiyama pick them up

Finished Chapter
of finale. (or was it
? I'm not so sure so careful with reading the spoilers :) )

Man some of those twists were legit.

LATE GAME SPOILERS
I saw the detective being the mastermind from a mile but him being the chairman of Omi alliance?! I did not see that coming.That and the Katsuya being a good guy and a friend to Majima were legit surprises for me.

But Morinaga being dead became obvious the moment that they showed Aizawa, IMO.

BTW, the build up might have not been as good as past games but that
fight between Kiryu, Watase, Katsuya and Saejima
was sooooo hype :)

Currently playing as
Haruka
. I just talked to
Baba
about
Kiryu message
but It's getting too late so I have to call it a night for now.

Can't wait for tomorrow to see how it all ends.

Yeah I can't believe Gio announced it was being localised before 5 even came out, what a shock that was. I totally expected Sony/Sega to eye up the sales 5 managed and base their decision around that. Has 0 actually been confirmed for a 2016 release then? I'd best alter my top ten most anticipated games list if that's the case.

And yes, 0 should have a shot at some half-decent numbers being a retail release and PS4 exclusive over here. That's hopefully introduce a lot of new people to the franchise.

Yup.
If you’ve already parted with your PS3—or jut don’t want to go back—that’s totally understandable. Just keep in mind what I’ve said here and revisit it when Yakuza Zero, a bombastic prequel game that’s on PS4 (and looks much prettier), is released in the West (and yes, it’s confirmed for 2016).
http://kotaku.com/you-really-need-to-play-the-yakuza-games-1747406314

Time to put Yakuza 0 on your lists people :)

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Thinking I'm getting towards the end of part 3, just brilliant. Loved it all so far, definitely my GOTY so far. I'm so happy we're getting 0 and it's already confirmed for next year :)

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
So just out of curiosity: I am playing Y3 currently and am nearing the end before moving through next two games. Do both Yakuza 4 and 5 run on entirely new engines specific to their games? Or do all three PS3 releases just use a similar but optimized engine from 3?

androvsky

So just out of curiosity: I am playing Y3 currently and am nearing the end before moving through next two games. Do both Yakuza 4 and 5 run on entirely new engines specific to their games? Or do all three PS3 releases just use a similar but optimized engine from 3?

Iirc, Yakuza 4 uses the slightly improved engine from 3 (Dead Souls and Kenzan use it too). Yakuza 5's engine is reworked so it actually runs at 1280 x 720, as opposed to the stretched 1024 x 768 of the older ones. I think Yakuza 5's engine was used as the basis for the cross-gen PS3/PS4 games like Ishin, Zero, and Kiwami, but 6 might be using a new one.

Clive

Any good (subtitled) recap videos of 1-4? Forgotten most of 1, 2, and what I played of 3, and I never played 4.

This is for Yakuza 1, 2 and 3:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oMmM2QihQ4

Don't think there is a recap for Yakuza 4 tbh since the only game before Yakuza 5 it could have been in is... Yakuza 4.

In my personal opinion, there is absolutely no reason to play Yakuza 5 before Yakuza 4 though. Yakuza 4 is cheap both on disc and on PSN and it's a great game.

cj_iwakura

This is for Yakuza 1, 2 and 3:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oMmM2QihQ4

Don't think there is a recap for Yakuza 4 tbh since the only game before Yakuza 5 it could have been in is... Yakuza 4.

In my personal opinion, there is absolutely no reason to play Yakuza 5 before Yakuza 4 though. Yakuza 4 is cheap both on disc and on PSN and it's a great game.

4 also has very thorough summaries for all the previous games, and starts with new characters. It's a great entry point. 5 is arguably the worst.

Iirc, Yakuza 4 uses the slightly improved engine from 3 (Dead Souls and Kenzan use it too). Yakuza 5's engine is reworked so it actually runs at 1280 x 720, as opposed to the stretched 1024 x 768 of the older ones. I think Yakuza 5's engine was used as the basis for the cross-gen PS3/PS4 games like Ishin, Zero, and Kiwami, but 6 might be using a new one.

6 is absolutely brand new and 5 was using a new engine as well. They labeled Dead Souls in Japan as "Of the end" to signify the end of the the 3 engine.

Breakdown starting at PS3:

Kenzan engine = Kenzan/3/4/Dead Souls
5 engine = 5/Ishin/0/Kiwami
6 engine = PS4 only engine.

Dio

Banned
6 is absolutely brand new and 5 was using a new engine as well. They labeled Dead Souls in Japan as "Of the end" to signify the end of the the 3 engine.

Breakdown starting at PS3:

Kenzan engine = Kenzan/3/4/Dead Souls
5 engine = 5/Ishin/0/Kiwami
6 engine = PS4 only engine.

I know 6 engine is probably going back to 30fps, but I really wish it was 60 like Ishin, 0 and Kiwami.

Top Bottom