• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 5 |OT| Rage Your Dreams

Just beat the game. Quick thoughts

The king stay the king. Aizawa didn't deserve a run at the crown, and Kiryu showed that by beating his ass even while bleeding out from a gunshot wound.

There were some really weird writing choices in the game. Like what the hell was Majima doing the entire time? Why did they make it seem like he was conspiring with Kurosawa then suddenly not? Why kill Morinaga offscreen? Why was Shinada even in the game? I like the guy, but his story didn't add much.

Also pretty funny how the only guy in the entire game that died to a gunshot took it to the forehead. They got some resistance to bullets over there in Japan.

The game had a lot of pacing issues and they still put too many free damage in boss fights via the QTEs but it's still my GOTY. Takasugi is the best bro since Rikiya.

Final stats: 110:36 hours played and 74.96% completion. Now I gotta beat the game two more times cause they won't give me the trophy for beating the game in normal mode. They're punishing me for going straight to hard :(

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
About to jump into this game... took all day to download and install. Here we go.

JEKKI

I cant believe I spent the amount of hours I did hunting all those animals >_<

I didnt even bother doing most of the taxi missions, but for some reason I kept on going back into the forest!!!

24+ hours logged in this game already... aye!!! o_O

hunterst

Neo Member
About to jump into this game... took all day to download and install. Here we go.
Tiu6DfO.gif

Teptom

Finale Final Chapter spoilers:
Right as I was about to put in the final hit on Aizawa my power went out. I"m sitting here in disbelief...

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I like Haruka's sutff with Akari and Yui a lot. It's a lot more slow-paced and less bombastic, but I wish there was more of that and less of the corny idol stuff.

Soltype

Are the hostesses based on real people like the past games?Some of the their faces look pretty good and some look kind of off.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
They should have like tripled the response time in the comedian bits to get a good rating. It's only doable by brute force without being able to understand the guy's voice and get the timing.

hamchan

I'm finally home and ready to play the game. Any missable stuff I should look out for ?

Don't quit in the Princess League final round during Haruka's section because you need to do it to unlock a karaoke song.

Be careful selling materials because you need them to invest into the weapons store and you might only get them once a playthrough.

Haruka is also not playable in the final part of the game so make sure you finish up all her sidequests when you can. Also if you want full completion in one playthrough then don't pick up any locker keys with her since her items don't get combined with the other characters.

Kain

I know it's a stupid complaint, but it really bothers me how in Haruka's run everyone pronounces "Christian" as "Cristina" lol

Don't quit in the Princess League final round during Haruka's section because you need to do it to unlock a karaoke song.

Be careful selling materials because you need them to invest into the weapons store and you might only get them once a playthrough.

Haruka is also not playable in the final part of the game so make sure you finish up all her sidequests when you can. Also if you want full completion in one playthrough then don't pick up any locker keys with her since her items don't get combined with the other characters.

Alright, thanks.

Spent the last four hours hunting with Seijima... I'm loving it now that all the tutorials are out the way. They really could have done with making that part shorter!

I love the smaller more rural atmospheric feel to the town. Its nice just to walk through the town, do some river fishing before heading off to the mountain again. I forgot how easy it was to make money with the hunting as well, almost got 1 mil yen without really trying.

Spent the last four hours hunting with Seijima... I'm loving it now that all the tutorials are out the way. They really could have done with making that part shorter!

I love the smaller more rural atmospheric feel to the town. Its nice just to walk through the town, do some river fishing before heading off to the mountain again. I forgot how easy it was to make money with the hunting as well, almost got 1 mil yen without really trying.

Yeah, Saejima can get loaded really quick. I was feeling like I had enough money forever. And then I met Kaguya.

Yeah, Saejima can get loaded really quick. I was feeling like I had enough money forever. And then I met Kaguya.

Yeah, I'll be building up my yen for when I hit the city. Will be nice to have money compared to Kiryu where I was relying on his Taxi job to pay the bills (well, my hostess bill at least!).

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Ending thoughts:

Akiyama had the best ending. Dude's finally getting the respect he deserves. Shinada's was fine too. Basically puts him right back where he started except without any debt, but eh, happy ending. Saejima basically didn't have an ending. I mean, it's implied during Shinada's ending that Saejima's going to go back to prison yet again, so look forward to slow pacing and boredom a third time in Yakuza 6 I guess. Hell, we last see Saejima, Majima, Daigo, Kurosawa, and Katsuya on the roof of the Millennium Tower and they never show up again. Kiryu and Haruka's endings are fucking dumb. The Aizawa reveal was a contrivance too far, and the fight has almost no real stakes whatsoever. And then Haruka selfishly bombs her idol career on stage when she could have just fucking waited until after the concert and then quit instead of screwing over T-Set in the middle of their big debut. And then we end on a terrible cliffhanger of Haruka finding a bleeding Kiryu in the snow. Yay more coincidences! Enjoy the suspense of whether or not Kiryu lives until we release the Y6 trailer showing that he clearly does! Which I know is a bit unfair since the game coming out in the US shortly before the Y6 trailer debut couldn't really be helped, but still.

I dunno. I really can't say I liked the ending at all save for Akiyama and maybe Shinada's parts.

Had a real lucky run on the hunting mountain just now. I was searching for a
golden stag
at the very top of the mountain and just as I reached the very back of the game world, for some reason a shit ton of wildlife spawned on my location and started to run off. I managed to get one shot off and head shotted the
golden stag!
. Can't believe my luck, the last time I did that bit it took ages for that animal to spawn.

I'm also working on the "master" training in the village while I'm at it. The old man is asking for something glittery (I think), but I'm fairly certain you have to get something from the city and return here later? I forget exactly what I need though.

So question do I need to the Kamuro IF8 level 8 times to get the remaining soul points for each protag? Seems like a bit of a grind.

By the way, great to finally have a full translation of what went down in the ending
even if it was SUUUUUUPER dumb. (come on Zero and Kiwami, bring me back to simpler times)

Just finished part 3.

I wish Akiyama got his own part, but I understand why he and Haruka shared a part. Akiyama is just a loan shark and not directly in the yakuza underworld, and Haruka is a pure cinnamon roll who has no place in the criminal underworld. They needed each other to be pulled into the criminal underworld part of the story.
Akiyama reminded me why I love him, he's just so goofy. Where's my Haruka Vita rhythm game Sega?
Interesting revelations in the part. Though Majima being Ms Park's husband was my first guess. She danced around the name, made a casual reference he was part of a different world and he lived in Tokyo.
Ms Park was a good character. Makes me sad what happened to her. She was likable and had an interesting backstory. So I guess she had to die.
Now I'm on part 4, Shinada's part. So basically every character so far has been great so he has a lot to live up to.

Eriugam

Neo Member
I cant believe I spent the amount of hours I did hunting all those animals >_<

I didnt even bother doing most of the taxi missions, but for some reason I kept on going back into the forest!!!

24+ hours logged in this game already... aye!!! o_O

It was completely worth it. Running around after those villagers, hunting animals. Was all great, hopefully I can return there in the near future!

Cess007

Sooo, at the beginning of Chapter 2...

I'm spending imaginary money, on a imaginary trip to an imaginary club to chat/flirt with an imaginary hostess?

Game of the Forever

Shin-Ra

Holy nostril... I subtly got the point across. Wish there were more driving missions but some of these dialog choice ones are great.

JEKKI

noooooo~!!! I failed a side mission and now it says "Done" instead of "Resolved"

there's no way the game gives you a second chance huh?!?!?

:(

stupid slippery ramen... I literally fell down the moment I started moving -_-;;

KRaZyAmmo

noooooo~!!! I failed a side mission and now it says "Done" instead of "Resolved"

there's no way the game gives you a second chance huh?!?!?

:(

stupid slippery ramen... I literally fell down the moment I started moving -_-;;

that happened to me too. those damn spinning Japanese business men.

So, uh, warning to all the people looking to plat this game. All the training and side stories and substories are completely wiped in premium new game. If you want that 100%, you have to make sure you do it in one playthough.

Top Bottom