• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 5 |OT| Rage Your Dreams

Evilisk

Finally got up to Saejima's chapter.

The finale of Kiryu's chapter was sooo damn fun. Soo many enemies to fight, though I was bummed out that the enemies just endlessly respawn. It was still really fun to do, especially without the super heat mode.

Seeing Saejima and Kamurocho again was cool but I cannot believe we're doing this prison shit again. Ended up stocking up on lots of healing items (especially after remembering how damn hard his Prison section was in the previous game).

As expected, Saejima is still terrible to play. I almost died in his beginning fight (I'm playing on Hard). The throw he gets off a ground bounce seems cool, but it doesn't seem like it'll be too useful. It's still another move that costs him heat (when he really needs it in reserve so he doesn't get knocked over) and well it's kinda bad compared to Kiryu getting bounding throws with no heat cost at all in this game.

Ended up doing Karaoke with Saejima almost instantly (since I was super disappointed that he didn't have any in Yakuza 4) and it's all comedy gold. I could not stop laughing at his engrish. Also was weirded the hell out by the strange fixation on Sodachi. I mean, geez, I know it took ages for the game to come over to English, but it wasn't that long ago lol. You woulda thought it'd be Yasuko in the picture rather than a side-NPC you could skip.

Is there some sort of option post-game or otherwise, for Majima to be your AI partner, like in Dead Souls? Because if not, it's such a damn shame, as it means we missed out on Saejima/Majima karaoke shenanigans.

Erdrick

So I have a 60 gig launch model PS3 and have been playing Yakuza Dead Souls to tide me over until this finally came. Only problem is, while I've deleted every installed game that I have on the system, and pretty much all my saves (didin't have much to begin with) I'm stuck at around 47 gigs of space, which should be enough to download this, yet I get a warning from the PSN store saying I should probably have another 2.1 gigs free for this. What the heck? Can I just download it anyway with what I have? Or will that be a wasted effort unless I somehow magically free up more space from wherever? I guess I could format my system as a last resort...

I've been a huge fan of this series ever since I played it on PS2 back in the fall of 2006, so I'm itching to finally play this.

Cess007

Ended up doing Karaoke with Saejima almost instantly (since I was super disappointed that he didn't have any in Yakuza 4) and it's all comedy gold. I could not stop laughing at his engrish. Also was weirded the hell out by the strange fixation on Sodachi.

I was in tears the first time i played that. Almost couldn't play as i was literally rolling on my sofa with laughter :')

DukeBobby

Fuck this comedy routine bullshit.

Just got a score of 79 after about 8 tries and I still failed (let me guess, 80 is a passing score, right?).

I'm just going to use Youtube to help with the other routines.

KRaZyAmmo

Fuck this comedy routine bullshit.

Just got a score of 79 after about 8 tries and I still failed (let me guess, 80 is a passing score, right?).

I'm just going to use Youtube to help with the other routines.

yeah passing is 80. Even my sister got fed up with comedy routine bullsh*t.

Yawnier

Banned
Well, just finished the game after 53 hours or so.

That ending. Yeah I have very mixed feelings on it. Otherwise, great game.

End game spoilers:
Haruka's speech at the end was sweet but... weird at the same time. Also that Aizawa boss fight was crazy in a good way, I didn't know if I would have enough health items in Kiryu's inventory to beat him but I did, barely. I liked most the twists though

Felt like to me that they kept things pretty open ended for Yakuza 6 too. And so I have no idea what direction what Y6 will go in. Didn't seem like many, if any major characters ended up dying even compared to Yakuza 4. I thought for sure that Dojima or Majima would have been killed off in this game.

Anyways, I'm kind of itching to play the first game or Y4 again now, lol.

Tizoc

Dont forget to vote for yakuza 5 in the goty thread everyone
And please read that thread's first post when posting ur list :x

I know you're all enjoying 5 and I'm really glad others are finally getting a chance to play the game, but I just wanted to let those who are interested that I made a video on Yakuza 0, the latest game in the series out in Japan only right now. (I also made a huge hour long video on every entry in the series earlier this year that is featured in the OP of this thread)

Your Next Favorite - Yakuza 0: The Promised Land
https://youtu.be/CZD2eufsDII

Hope you all enjoy the video and are excited to get 0 localized next year!

no and it never will

I wouldn't say never. Its still somewhat possible for it to get a PS4 remaster (at least in Japan) in the future, not like remastered editions of last gen games are all that rare at the moment. I still think once Kiwami, and probably a similar styled remake of 2 is out the way Sega might throw out upressed versions of 3-5 on the PS4 with better frame rates and textures...

Tizoc

I know you're all enjoying 5 and I'm really glad others are finally getting a chance to play the game, but I just wanted to let those who are interested that I made a video on Yakuza 0, the latest game in the series out in Japan only right now. (I also made a huge hour long video on every entry in the series earlier this year that is featured in the OP of this thread)

Hope you all enjoy the videom and are excited to get 0 localized next year!
I will link this in the y0 hype thread i am working on

Dez_

Finished up part one. Damn, now that was a finale! Really interested to see where the game goes from here.

Hey nice! I really enjoyed your other video overview on the series. It got me to pick up Yakuza 4 shortly after that!

EqP29DQ.jpg

My journey inyo yakuza begins the 1st gaf.
Ill make my way to 5 eventually.
Wish me luck.
LTTP incoming.

Great video. Combat in 0 looks like the best yet and those different styles look really fun (although I'll probably end up using Kiryu's 4th style for boss fights lol). The boss fights have always been too easy because of all the QTEs, so I hope they scaled back on that.

KRaZyAmmo

I just watched this and I can't wait to play as unforgiving Kiryu now.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
EqP29DQ.jpg

My journey inyo yakuza begins the 1st gaf.
Ill make my way to 5 eventually.
Wish me luck.
LTTP incoming.

I just played through it myself over the last couple weeks. Solid game, with a SLOW start. Have some gripes and nitpicks, but overall it was a decent ride. Need a break before starting Y4 and eventually 5, but one day I'll get to them.

Oh great, thanks man. I really enjoyed your video on the whole series. I just played Yakuza 4 a couple of weeks ago, my first in the series, and that awesome game and your awesome videos have me crazily hyped to play through the rest of the series :p

Great video. Combat in 0 looks like the best yet and those different styles look really fun (although I'll probably end up using Kiryu's 4th style for boss fights lol). The boss fights have always been too easy because of all the QTEs, so I hope they scaled back on that.

QTE's are definitely scaled back from what I remember, there is one particular one there at the end of the game that is exceptionally hard to do successfully (insanely small window of opportunity). I did that particular boss fight 3 times and ended up failing it all 3 times...

QTE's seemed to be much less about dealing big damage on enemies in 0, and more to do with avoiding damage (at least, from what I remember).

It is a draft atm and wont go up until a month or so later :3
For now i will make a thread later about ur vid
Im at work and will watch it when i get home

Wow, I'd really appreciate that, thank you very much.

Edit: And thanks to everyone else in the thread for the kind words.

This is an excellent video, but good lord does it ever reveal a ton of the story. I would recommend this video for someone on the fence about picking up the localised version of Zero, but if you've already made up your mind to, maybe hold off on watching it.

This is an excellent video, but good lord does it ever reveal a ton of the story. I would recommend this video for someone on the fence about picking up the localised version of Zero, but if you've already made up your mind to, maybe hold off on watching it.

I based what I would show on what was showed in trailers and what was already in the intro music video thing in the game. I made sure not to show
the last 4-5 boss fights, character deaths,
or the context of almost anything. All I mentioned was the setups and the driving forces behind their stories. I think experiencing it for yourself, learning the context, and putting it all together is what will elevate the game to the next level. Just like all of the other entries in the series, I really wish I could have discussed everything about the story and the bosses, but I just have to hold myself back so people can experience it for themselves.

For anyone pulling their hair out of Haruka's comedy routine substory, I found a way that worked really well for me. But you're going to need to be near your computer (or at least something that streams a Youtube video) for it to work. Basically you want to find a video that has the routine you're on (I used this one as it has all three), then you want to time the start of the video so it's ever so slightly ahead of the actual game. That way the delay from you seeing the input and you actually pressing the button should be perfect. It's cheating, but it's better than the frustration that occurs from getting 79. :p

Keihart

Haven't played much thanks to Rainbow Six Siege consuming my time so i'm still at Kiryu's start, i'm loving the taxi rides and races, it's so fun to drive carefully and then go full Takumi on the highway on races. Can't wait to sink more time on it.

I just played through it myself over the last couple weeks. Solid game, with a SLOW start. Have some gripes and nitpicks, but overall it was a decent ride. Need a break before starting Y4 and eventually 5, but one day I'll get to them.

:p It's not a Yakuza game without the glacial pace at the start.

Tizoc

Watching HyperbitHero's video right now.
When making the thread I'll link to the initial thread/video you made for the Yakuza series and for this video will direct mainly to the part where you showcase the combat which IMHO is what may interest the average PS4GAFfer.

While one may feel 'spoiled' by the description of the story at the start, I don't think it'll affect my enjoyment of it.
If anything it would've been better off just stating that Majima is in Osaka for reason X, while Kiryu is in Kamurocho for Reason B without going into much detail. I find that learning about the
Blind woman wold've been a lot better to find out when playing the game because it looks like it'll be a very good and interesting relationship/dymanic between the 2

I'll post more impressions later :3

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I love Yakuza but I don't know if I want to get this. I don't even have a PS3 hooked up anymore. Gwagh.

squall23

I love Yakuza but I don't know if I want to get this. I don't even have a PS3 hooked up anymore. Gwagh.
You're doing a disservice to yourself by not playing this game. At least you have a PS3, you must've seen all the people from various Yakuza threads that wish they could play it but couldn't because they don't have a PS3 anymore.

Tizoc

Hook it up, have the PS3 update and have Yakuza 5 downloaded.
When you play it'd be like meeting a good friend again after a long time.

Finally got to Shinada's chapter and I'm not sure how to feel about him. I'm kind of annoyed. I'm going to have to play a batting minigame? Ugh. Maybe this should be the time when I take a small break from the game.

wut. it's so worth it.

Finally got to Shinada's chapter and I'm not sure how to feel about him. I'm kind of annoyed. I'm going to have to play a batting minigame? Ugh. Maybe this should be the time when I take a small break from the game.

i had the same first impression with the batting stuff. he grew on me and now i like the minigame.

Tizoc

His Batting is simple: Just press Triangle if it is in the upper area, X if in lower area, O if you see it glow yellow on the eastern area, etc. Just press one of those 4 buttons without moving the cursor.

Top Bottom