• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 5 |OT| Rage Your Dreams

Sgblues

Welp.
Picked a ton of locker keys with Hakura. Opened the lockers. Got sacred ash and some other stuff. Thought that "eh, i'll probably be able to pass these on to the shop or to akiyama".

About that...

sigh, why in blazes were flaws like this still present in a game released in 2012?

either that or there's a way and i haven't found it. Is what i get for completely missing the warning message.

Yeah they messed up by doing so since there's no way for her to send or trade the items to anyone else, should have just made the keys become available when you are on Akiyama

orient

Neo Member
I'm a big fan of the PS2 Yakuza games -- I was so hyped for the first one after wanting a Shenmue-a-like for so long -- but I was really late to the HD generation due to my preference for handheld and retro gaming, so now I'm finally going back to play Yakuza 3.

Turns out playing Yakuza is like riding a bike, which I guess is because of how similar the games are to one another. It's the type of iterative series that slowly gets better over time as they build on the last release, similar to Monster Hunter or something.

That said, Yakuza 3 starts off so, so slow, and this is coming from a Shenmue fan :p I get they want to build Kiryu's relationship with the kids at the orphanage, and it works -- there are some nice moments -- but without a solid goal or motivation, the beginning feels very meandering and unnecessary. I've hit the 9 hour mark and I've only just reached Kamurocho(!). The slow start mixed with the political backstory (campaigns for the construction of a military base and resort in Okinawa) would make for a horrible starting point for a newcomer, which I'm sure a lot of PS3 players were. But I'm still enjoying it a lot, especially now that I'm back in Kamurocho. Looking forward to getting into the game proper.

Evilisk

Finally up to Part 4 with Saejima. Y'know, as much as I hate playing as Saejima in fights, I do like his chapters are always rather quick to breeze through. I actually ended up enjoying the prison section. It was kinda comfy, and the ghost hostess dating and pseudo mystery stuff were dumb fun. Kosaka was actually pretty cool. I was expecting to have Saito 2.0 but he was pretty reasonable.

Hunting looks fun but I'll save it for after the main story. Currently have to scrounge up 50,000 yen (since I suck at billiards) so I just ended up selling all the Silver Plates I had. I have to say, the number of encounters are ridiculous. Even as someone who looks forward to them, it's crazy how many there are sometimes. It really doesn't help that there also the unmarked ones you can bump into.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I'm a big fan of the PS2 Yakuza games -- I was so hyped for the first one after wanting a Shenmue-a-like for so long -- but I was really late to the HD generation due to my preference for handheld and retro gaming, so now I'm finally going back to play Yakuza 3.

Turns out playing Yakuza is like riding a bike, which I guess is because of how similar the games are to one another. It's the type of iterative series that slowly gets better over time as they build on the last release, similar to Monster Hunter or something.

That said, Yakuza 3 starts off so, so slow, and this is coming from a Shenmue fan :p I get they want to build Kiryu's relationship with the kids at the orphanage, and it works -- there are some nice moments -- but without a solid goal or motivation, the beginning feels very meandering and unnecessary. I've hit the 9 hour mark and I've only just reached Kamurocho(!). The slow start mixed with the political backstory (campaigns for the construction of a military base and resort in Okinawa) would make for a horrible starting point for a newcomer, which I'm sure a lot of PS3 players were. But I'm still enjoying it a lot, especially now that I'm back in Kamurocho. Looking forward to getting into the game proper.
imo Y2->Y3 is a huge nosedive
stick with it, don't give up, Y4 is a return to glory

Evilisk

Okay where the hell is this covered shopping area exactly. I've spent about half an hour just combing through the entire map and nothing, I can't find him.

Tizoc

Can we all take a minute to appreciate the fact that
Saigo was back?
I can never get enough of that crazy guy.

squall23

Okay where the hell is this covered shopping area exactly. I've spent about half an hour just combing through the entire map and nothing, I can't find him.
Covered means it has a roof, but no door. He's in the one on the left side of the map.

I was actually in real life Tsukimino this summer and I walked by where this guy was sitting down.

WaterAstro

I heard you're not supposed to claim any lockers in Haruka's chapter because the items won't get merged in the final chapter. True?

Just started Shinada's chapter. I've been chronicling my journey through YAKUZA 5 on my Twitter page, and am having an absolute blast! I was honestly not looking too forward to Haruka's chapter, seeing as there'd be no combat - but I ended up spending more hours with her than anyone else so far! So many laughs were had.

I also stumbled across what is probably the single most weirdest thing I've seen on this game yet, and considering a few hours ago
I was fist fighting a bear
, that says a lot! Check it out!

Astarte

Can we all take a minute to appreciate the fact that
Saigo was back?
I can never get enough of that crazy guy.

MIuesRY.gif

The majority of his bullet training was ass but god bless him and his toupee

web01

What is the correct show order for the "a quirky idol" Strawberry Maya quest?
They tell you in the into phone call but I saved and didn't play for a few days.

Shinada's combat is ass, but he is an adorable bastard so everything is forgiven.

He was my favorite character to play as, not even using weapons. I liked how it many branches his combat system had, you could start with a square, go to a triangle, and then end with a circle for a unique combo tripping up enemies.

Evilisk

Finally done with Saejima's part. My impressions are that he is soo much worse than the last game. Some of the changes are nice (like comboing out of his throw or his stance Heat move for groups) but I really hate the new leg grab moves (that use heat) because you can't control it, even if you hold L2. Also the tracking on his attacks feels so much worse. The snowball fight section was kind of fun. I cheesed it though. Took the lead and then just strafed around a column so he couldn't hit me again lol

I was kinda dreading Haruka's bit but it's honestly been a really nice change of pace. I've just been dance battling everyone in town. Ms Manager is kinda cool too

I think a Get to the Top remix is one of the dance battle tracks. Wasn't expecting that.

Covered means it has a roof, but no door. He's in the one on the left side of the map.

Ended up finding it eventually but thanks anyway.

Yeah ignore any locker keys you see as Haruka, pick them up as Akiyama.

I haven't been picking up anything tbh (it annoys me how long the picking up animation is) but this is good to know.

well, i finished the story. that ending....

when people on stage make announcements like these i always cringe. it was embarassing. akiyama's part was a little overdone too, but it was manageable. overall the story was alright. a little weaker than than 4. i prefer everyone's personal struggle to overarching plot.

it's amazing how much content they packed into this game. it's not just an empty world with boring collectibles and same old gameplay. i think there is a variety in gameplay systems you won't find anywhere else, with sidejobs and tons of minigames.

currently at 75hours with 44% completion. i will play a little more in premium adventure and defeat amon.

Hrm, the haruka segments are a bit grating. The change in mechanics is fine and the Nagoshi cameo was a nice surprise, but... gods. The amount of sheer repetition is staggering. At least with Kiryu every taxi passenger had his own unique dialogue to spice things up (and they had the good sense to make all mid-to-late taxi missions just conversations), and with Saejima you could take care of the optional objectives as you cleared the main goals.

Not so with haruka. Those handshake and dance events are pure filler. Would be better if her schedule consisted only of things like the interviews, the talk show, the quiz and the minigames.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Yeah, there was really no reason to have 48 side jobs for Haruka when so many of them are the exact same thing. Handshake events aren't fun at all, and while the rhythm game stuff is solid, the lack of different songs means you're basically going to play "So Much More" over and over for the majority of the jobs. 24 or even 32 jobs would have been better.

Yeah, there was really no reason to have 48 side jobs for Haruka when so many of them are the exact same thing. Handshake events aren't fun at all, and while the rhythm game stuff is solid, the lack of different songs means you're basically going to play "So Much More" over and over for the majority of the jobs. 24 or even 32 jobs would have been better.

Don't remind me. "So Much More" has been stuck in my head for days! I managed to do 46/48. I couldn't seem to find the last two. By the time I went onto the final round of the Princess League, my schedule board was all complete, so I don't know. Playing the same couple of songs over and over could feel like a chore at times, but such is the life of an idol.

I might be picking this up when I get home, although my Ps3's HD is tasked to capacity. How many gigs of installation is it? And what is the price?

SonicBoom

I would love to play Ishin since its samurai style.

Any chance of Yakuza Ishin getting localized after Yakuza 5????

How many of you would fully support?

If Ishin was going to get brought over we'd have heard by now (in my opinion). It was released in Japan at a point where there weren't that many PS4 games yet, so it could have stood out from the crowd if Sega put some effort in. However they may have felt it was to "Japanese" so never bothered releasing it, despite stuff like Way of the Samurai and Samurai Warriors never failing to get brought over.

Now with 0 coming I can't see them going back to do Ishin, its far far more likely that 6 will get released and probably the remake of 1 as well (since it follows on nicely from 0, and is a good point to reintroduce people to the series).

Just started playing this now, and I was wondering - is there a decent walkthrough that can be found anywhere? I got the platinums for 3 and 4, and as I recall there was some missable stuff in those games like certain substories and collectables, so I had to resort to closely following a guide. I'd like to do the same for 5, but I can't a good walkthrough for the life of me!

Then again, it's probably for the best that I don't bother attempting the platinum this time around.

Squishy3

Just started playing this now, and I was wondering - is there a decent walkthrough that can be found anywhere? I got the platinums for 3 and 4, and as I recall there was some missable stuff in those games like certain substories and collectables, so I had to resort to closely following a guide. I'd like to do the same for 5, but I can't a good walkthrough for the life of me!

Then again, it's probably for the best that I don't bother attempting the platinum this time around.
Sidestories now appear on the map with a big old question mark, so stuff isn't as missable as it once was. The one thing you need to keep in mind is when you get to Haruka's chapter, DON'T PICK UP THE LOCKER KEYS as they'll be unobtainable by Akiyama.

Sidestories now appear on the map with a big old question mark, so stuff isn't as missable as it once was. The one thing you need to keep in mind is when you get to Haruka's chapter, DON'T PICK UP THE LOCKER KEYS as they'll be unobtainable by Akiyama.

If you're gunning for the platinum trophy anyway (which requires 3 playthroughs), this isn't as big a loss.

Haruka's inventory is separate from the guys in a new game, but in Premium NG and onwards, everyone is working with a unified stash..

So unless you're trying to get the 100% trophy in your first playthrough, I would say try avoiding the keys as Haruka but don't sweat it if you pick up a few

Just finished this game today. I focused only on story.

I wonder how big is this game? I am finished on easy: 35 hours 37 minutes, completion...5.96%.

What????

Just finished this game today. I focused only on story.

I wonder how big is this game? I am finished on easy: 35 hours 37 minutes, completion...5.96%.

What????

The story amounts to pretty much nothing completion wise - the % completion focuses on different heat moves used, all food eaten, all mini games completed, all city unique objectives complete, all arena tournaments complete with different characters etc.
You can view the completion menu from the in game pause menu to see what you've done and what you need to do :)

Thanks man. It's not so much the platinum I don't want to miss out on since I don't trophy hunt anymore, but I was getting paranoid about missing some of the substories since they can be really good (I'll never forget fighting the gangsters dressed up as babies in Yakuza 2!), so it's good to know they actually appear on the map now. Boy has that been a long overdue feature.

Top Bottom