• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza: Dead Souls |OT| MAJIMA GORO TIME YOU GUYS

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Man, I suck so bad at the Shooting Range training. I can't even beat my partner in the very first one. =/

And the worst part is, every time I fail and try again, I have to sit through watching them do it first.

RubyEclipse

Sega of America
Ah shoot, I just realized that my PM inbox may have been full last night. If anyone won over the last day and I haven't responded confirming your item, please send another PM with the shipping address so I can mail it to you today. :) Thanks!

Seraphis - One plus about the shooting range is that the patterns are the same, if memory serves. Memorizing what comes next can help you get headshots really quickly.

RubyEclipse

Sega of America
It's got to be the easiest "shooting down zombies" game I've ever played.
Good stuff. Take up the difficulty next. :) Dead Souls mode should prove to a pretty good difficulty if you find the current zombies no challenge.

The mutants you encounter are also a fair bit harder as you progress, so if you're still on Akiyama's story, I should warn you that the dodging element is going to come into play quickly. Highly suggest upgrading your headshot + dodge abilities early - you'll be thankful for it later.

Nice vid, game looks really fun and Im glad to hear that there's plenty of side stuff to do.
Thanks for checking out the vid - hope my gameplay skills were alright. :)

Man. Upgraded Akiyama's dual handguns, and now I'm just cutting through zombies like butter. It's crazy.
Majima's upgraded shotgun is also pretty powerful... and great for groups.

Zombie Revenge was awesome. Every time you picked up some ammo you'd here this booming voice saying "Boolits!".

Hahahaha, hell yeah! My friend and I still say that sometimes when we pick up ammo in other games. We're also fans of when you died and the main dude says, "Damiiiiiiiiiiit." Haha.

Yuterald

So, I think the game just mega clicked with me after 10 hours. I'm still on Akiyama's section too! I loved the game from the start, but I just was exposed to a lot of cool mini ideas that just put the game over the top for me. I feel like this game has more content than any other Yakuza title. I mean, I could be wrong, but from what I've seen so far (and from looking at the Mission/Challenge/Directives list) this game is SUPER PACKED. The Yakuza games are the definition of layered ideas. And a good portion of this stuff isn't repeated ideas either.

The Directives alone make up a good portion of the content progression. The 174+ mini achievements are like crack. Seeing those Binary Domain-like banner flags pop up never gets old, it's that ultimate "one more time" kind of feel. It's difficult to put this game down if you get hooked on completion kind of shit easily. The completed Directives convert into points which you can exchange for rare items too. So fucking cool.

Then there are the
Subterranean dungeons
. HOLY SHIT! This is like rogue RPG shit! I didn't expect any of this and it adds such an old school RPG-like feel to the game. Oh, and
liberating
shops in the quarantine area is a nice twist on the typical Kamurocho structure. This is on top of the usual dining, minigame, modding, and heat challenges too. There is WAY TOO much to do in this game. I love it.

I don't know about most people, but these games provide the kinds of gameplay ideas and challenges that made games back then so great. We REALLY don't get stuff designed like this anymore. Enjoy this stuff while it lasts my friends!

bobot

Neo Member
My copy arrived today. Yay.

Wish I could have gotten one with a dlc code. :(

I only discovered the yakuza series this gen. So glad I did

IrishNinja

as an aside: Gravijah is a dick and reminded me that this exists. id kill for a case/skin for my phat PS3 like that, anyone know anyplace that does custom jobs of either one?
so jelly that we never get stuff like this.

geebee

Banned
I just realized today that this series is already over 5 years old! It's come such a long way. I remember seeing this commercial of the original Ryu ga Gotoku/Yakuza at least a dozen times.. which led me to import it(I didn't think it would make it outside of Japan) all those years ago. Such badass atmosphere that sadly was missing from Takashi Miike's movie. I think he would have made a much better movie based on Of The End/Dead Souls if he wanted to make it a bit silly.

But anyway, the amount of interesting characters this series has featured throughout the games is a pretty big accomplishment that unfortunately doesn't seem to get much recognition. I wont go making comparisons, but to me the cast of Yakuza has been the most memorable, believable, and likeable of any game that I've played. Especially since being a fan of yakuza movies by directors such as Takeshi Kitano and Takashi Miike.. these games have characters and stories that you could find in one of those movies.

Bring on Yakuza 5!
I'm getting off my ass to get Dead Souls tomorrow during my lunch break

.hacked

2nd email to amazon asking for a partial refund. My wife preorded the game for me for an anniversary gift, was charged $59.99, day later the game drops to $44.99????

That is some bullshit. Love the game but that is not cool, better refund her or I'll just buy the cheaper copy and return the full priced one.

so i'm all caught up at work. but i'm sitting here in case someone calls or a fax comes through. i'm in a basement so no blue skies either :(

i need to buy a ps3 for work so times like this can be spent beating yakuza minigames all day.

Moze

Banned
where do i find parts to mod weapons? iv upgraded my weapon modding abilities but i still cant find parts to mod them

Torraz

Well I caved and bought it. Wanted to support these games and their localizations. Might be my last purchae until Diablo 3 (unless I find some ultra bombas).

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
2nd email to amazon asking for a partial refund. My wife preorded the game for me for an anniversary gift, was charged $59.99, day later the game drops to $44.99????

That is some bullshit. Love the game but that is not cool, better refund her or I'll just buy the cheaper copy and return the full priced one.

Yeah. Makes me never want to pre-order one of these games again.

.hacked

Yeah. Makes me never want to pre-order one of these games again.

Declined my request :/

Well beat the game, loved it well worth $60 imo, going to play it again see if I can do more side missions (blew through part 1 and 4 so I missed a bunch of them).

Need demon stones, scared wood and all sorts of other crap to upgrade my guns.

Wait for Yakuza 5 begins....

YEah, damn shame I didn't preorder but I bought it day 1. I forgot it was coming and then didn't bother the last few days. they only had 2 copies when I went anyways.
Finally got to play more last night, but I'm still sick and having issue with games in general (motion sickness).

I loved it right away but I think I've come down a bit. I think the shooting is fine, but WTF please just let me map my L2 reticle aiming to the right stick instead of the left, it's driving me nuts. Also, I don't know if I'm just missing memos but I had a terrible time figuring out where to go and what to do ince it opened up. that firsst quarantine zone drove me crazy. I could not figure out where to go, and tried to go back the way I came in. It said I can't do that so I just went back and forth fomr one end to the other for 30 mintues and suddenly I could leave and I never went anywhere.

I don't know... I still really like it for being different in the same Yakuza stlye, I just need to play more.

i had to get used to the structure of the game as well

the quarantine zone was a bit confusing to me at first, and the left stick for shooting is just plain weird.

now it's all hunky dory though.

you can also stand still or press start to check your current story objective.

Yuterald

Just found and completed all of Akiyama's Substories on my own. Feels good! 14 hours logged and just about ready to wrap up Part I. 26.11% complete. The Substories are just as heartfelt and detailed as the other games. I never get sick of learning about all of the problems facing the citizens of Kamurocho. The partner Substories were pretty good too so far. Fucking love this game!

Aselith

I like that they didn't give you a targeting in the third person look because it makes it harder to aim and feels a little more realistic as to your ability to hit stuff but since the camera constantly fucks up and gets stuck on things that simply doesn't work. It's too hard to even get the gun to aim where you want to.

That said, I'm really getting sick of this fucking game. The camera is not capable of handling ANY fucking situation that this game throws at you.

-Tight Quarters = NO
-Open Spaces = NO
-Surrounded by zombies = NO
-Turning around = NO
-Turning a corner = NO

Tight quarters are the worst of course and the game is like 70% small corridors, it feels like.

The fact that Sega actually released a game in this state speaks volumes to why they are failing horribly.

If they had made it a typical third person camera with the angle stuck behind you, it would have worked.

If they had made the camera capable of clipping through walls and completely freelook, it would have worked.

Instead it's a mishmash of the worst possible everything. I really hope this game bombs hard because it deserves it.

I like the other Yakuza games but this is bottom of the barrel, shovelware garbage.

Just the worst possible decisions in every instance regarding the way the gameplay is set up.

All of the typical Yakuza accouterments are of course fine to excellent.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I like that they didn't give you a targeting in the third person look because it makes it harder to aim and feels a little more realistic as to your ability to hit stuff but since the camera constantly fucks up and gets stuck on things that simply doesn't work. It's too hard to even get the gun to aim where you want to.

That said, I'm really getting sick of this fucking game. The camera is not capable of handling ANY fucking situation that this game throws at you.

-Tight Quarters = NO
-Open Spaces = NO
-Surrounded by zombies = NO
-Turning around = NO
-Turning a corner = NO

Tight quarters are the worst of course and the game is like 70% small corridors, it feels like.

The fact that Sega actually released a game in this state speaks volumes to why they are failing horribly.

If they had made it a typical third person camera with the angle stuck behind you, it would have worked.

If they had made the camera capable of clipping through walls and completely freelook, it would have worked.

Instead it's a mishmash of the worst possible everything. I really hope this game bombs hard because it deserves it.

I like the other Yakuza games but this is bottom of the barrel, shovelware garbage.

Just the worst possible decisions in every instance regarding the way the gameplay is set up.

All of the typical Yakuza accouterments are of course fine to excellent.

See, I would have agreed with all this like, two days ago. But since then, I've come to realize that you're not really supposed to use the L2 aiming extensively. It's really much better to just use the L1 strafe aiming in 90% of situations. And that works fine almost all the time. The only time I ever use the L2 aiming is when I'm up against a mutant with a small weakpoint. Or if I'm going for something like the "30 Headshots in a Row" thing. But yeah, the L2 aiming IS completely broken. However you don't need to use it in most cases. Just use the L1 strafe aiming, as it works fine.

As far as the camera goes in relation to non-aiming stuff...well, I can't say I've had any problems with it at all.

Aselith

See, I would have agreed with all this like, two days ago. But since then, I've come to realize that you're not really supposed to use the L2 aiming extensively. It's really much better to just use the L1 strafe aiming in 90% of situations. And that works fine almost all the time. The only time I ever use the L2 aiming is when I'm up against a mutant with a small weakpoint. Or if I'm going for something like the "30 Headshots in a Row" thing. But yeah, the L2 aiming IS completely broken. However you don't need to use it in most cases. Just use the L1 strafe aiming, as it works fine.

As far as the camera goes in relation to non-aiming stuff...well, I can't say I've had any problems with it at all.

I barely use L2 aiming at all because as you said, it's horrible. Problem with the L1 aiming is a few things. First, if you enter it the aiming is done in the direction your character is facing and it actually swings it around which I have found it to get fucked up by walls so it delays it and cause you to aim beyond where you meant to snap to.

The other problem is that sometimes the camera simply stops working at all and you can't aim. It just won't move when you're pressing the control stick a direction.

Lastly and I think one of the biggest problems is that if you snap a direction with L1, the camera actually has to take the time to swing in behind you since it actually moves arund to get behind you. Since the game constantly seems to try to spawn zombies around you, you have to be able to respond immediately to threats dropping down from the ceiling behind you (which is fucked up by the way, monster ceilings will be the new monster closets as far as horrible game design). Your actions are constantly delayed because the game is playing catch up with where you have to be looking.

The game could have been designed in areas and situations where these problems with the camera would have been minimized but instead they had their vision and wanted the camera to suit it and apparently never realized that it simply doesn't work.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Have you tried turning on the Auto Camera Center thing in the Options? That might alleviate some of the problems you're having. Maybe.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
This game kind of reminds me of old Resident Evil

Zombies
Bad camera
Weird gun upgrading system
Respawning asshole zombies
Weird gun aiming
Having to decide how much ammo and health you want to carry
Revisiting the same areas

edit: Pro-tip, get the Power Stone Bracelet ASAP

Top Bottom