• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza: Dead Souls |OT| MAJIMA GORO TIME YOU GUYS

Amazon technically has a policy in place that says that they have no post-order price matching. It's not a terrible policy per se but a 25% price reduction less than 24 hours after my card has been run is stupid and a disincentive to preordering.

They actually didn't fix the issue when they got back to me so I'm going to send another email and will continue to do so 'til it's fixed because there are several others who got the difference refunded, and it's dumb that they singled me out. Usually they do it from the start, but maybe they are trying to keep it more strict these days.

edit: Might as well talk about the game. So far I like it, but I can definitely understand some of the negativity around the combat because the shooting/aiming feels so archaic compared to newer games, but other than that it's still Yakuza. I really hope the next game has a better save system, though, because checkpoints are really lame and I don't want to have to keep the game running when I feel like taking a break.

Probably because I'm not in America?

That makes two of us! *fist bump*

I looked at my purchase history and it's showing up as the Patriot pack now. Either I made up "God Bless America" as its name somehow, or the 'ole switch-a-roo was done on me. That or I'm officially going insane.

That makes two of us! *fist bump*

I looked at my purchase history and it's showing up as the Patriot pack now. Either I made up "God Bless America" as its name somehow, or the 'ole switch-a-roo was done on me. That or I'm officially going insane.

Probably because I said it. Subliminal message and all. I'm in your head!!!

Edit: I just checked the download list and it's listed as The Patriot Pack for me as well. lol
Weird.

Probably because I said it. Subliminal message and all. I'm in your head!!!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

After reading this I went and checked ebgames canada cached google page and it also said God bless america.

I WAS RIGHT

Still, I probably did pick it up from you since I can't remember now what the PS3 said when I redeemed the code (all I can remember was looking at the US-themed T-shirt Kiriyu was wearing), and my redemption email just says Hostess Pack as the title.

GET OUT OF MY HEAD

FLEABttn

Banned
They actually didn't fix the issue when they got back to me so I'm going to send another email and will continue to do so 'til it's fixed because there are several others who got the difference refunded, and it's dumb that they singled me out. Usually they do it from the start, but maybe they are trying to keep it more strict these days.

They may have sales metrics that determine who they'll bend rules for that makes them say yes to me and no to you. I've spent a lot of money at Amazon...

DJIzana

This was an interesting title. I beat the Japanese version of it. I freaking love the Ryu Ga Gotoku Franchise & can't wait for 5. I hope the world will be much more open world with way more to do though & hopefully be able to drive etc...

Still, I probably did pick it up from you since I can't remember now what the PS3 said when I redeemed the code (all I can remember was looking at the US-themed T-shirt Kiriyu was wearing), and my redemption email just says Hostess Pack as the title.

GET OUT OF MY HEAD
lol I edited my message, it IS called the Patriot Pack but when I originally input the code it came out as the God Bless America Pack. Whatever. lol
Anyways, the Majima Karaoke is hysterical. Loved it.

But yeah, this still doesn't explain what happened to the Hostess DLC I was supposed to get. I don't see any mention of Hostess clothes or weapons. I don't get it.

This was an interesting title. I beat the Japanese version of it. I freaking love the Ryu Ga Gotoku Franchise & can't wait for 5. I hope the world will be much more open world with way more to do though & hopefully be able to drive etc...

I don't know about that. I think one of the reasons that the Yakuza series appeals to me so much is the fact that I don't have to drive around the game world in order to get from one area to another.

lol I edited my message, it IS called the Patriot Pack but when I originally input the code it came out as the God Bless America Pack. Whatever. lol
Anyways, the Majima Karaoke is hysterical. Loved it.

But yeah, this still doesn't explain what happened to the Hostess DLC I was supposed to get. I don't see any mention of Hostess clothes or weapons. I don't get it.

I can't figure it out either. I'm still waiting for a reply from ebgames, so I'm going to ask them about this when they respond to my initial email.

just messed with the batting cages. got a quick A rank on the EX hard mode, i am somewhat certain the pitches are the same as 4, but when you hit the targets the girls clothes come off to reveal a bikini shot.

so cool

IrishNinja

well, some stuff in Kiryu's life changes in 3, and there's characters here that are introduced in 4.

again, there's always excellent catchup videos. if any game gets spoiled here, i'd guess it's 2.

They may have sales metrics that determine who they'll bend rules for that makes them say yes to me and no to you. I've spent a lot of money at Amazon...

They ended up fixing it this time around. Honestly I spend tons of money there too, but sometimes it just seems like a crap shoot as to whether or not they'll fix it.

Oh god, I can't stop laughing...
In one of Majima's substories, Daigo is in a dress as bait, I say that's proper punishment for betraying him in 4.

darkvir

Yes, picked it up... now with Binary Domain complete... it's time to rock!

An7FdwWCAAAz9MA.jpg:large

i finished the first character. SO MUCH FUN.

other then the just plain odd controls (R2 lock on is a bit wacky) i am having a total blast. positive design choices, mostly small things that go a long way making a completionists life easier.

kamurocho hills is looking nice these days!

edit: Might as well talk about the game. So far I like it, but I can definitely understand some of the negativity around the combat because the shooting/aiming feels so archaic compared to newer games, but other than that it's still Yakuza. I really hope the next game has a better save system, though, because checkpoints are really lame and I don't want to have to keep the game running when I feel like taking a break.
Threaten to return the game and buy from Newegg. That can help. I do quite a business w/ them so they may have let it slide.

I feel that if the price dropped in 48 hours, we should get a refund. However, if it was a lightning deal, then I can understand why it would not be matched.

kiryogi

Banned
Well I skipped on this when it was "Of the End" since it sounded like it wasnt too hot controls wise and I was hoping for a domestic release. So here we are, and yknow what, once you get used to the controls. . . It's still pretty badass Yakuza/RgG style.

But one thing bugs me. . .WHATS WITH THE NEW MASSAGE GIRL.

RubyEclipse

Sega of America
My second code got me a "Patriot Pack" - which I think is the same as the "God Bless America" thing people are mentioning.
I'm not happy that I'm missing out on this "Majima Karaoke".
It's all the same. :)

To confirm - if you have the Patriot Pack, you get the Hostess goodies as well as the additional costumes, karaoke, etc. Everything comes together.

For anyone having issues with those codes yesterday, it should have started working as soon as PSN finished updating last night. Let me know if you get an invalid code issue for some reason, and we can get you in touch with our customer support team.

Hope everyone is enjoying the game so far - I'm going to do another playthrough too. Had almost forgotten how great the first 20 minutes as Majima are!

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Finishing up for today (yeah, my schedule is all messed up :lol). Game definitely feels like it's "clicked" for me, despite some lingering issues with the aiming. Mowing down zombies by the hundreds is just great fun. Can't wait to get to Majima's section of the game!

frequency

It's all the same. :)

To confirm - if you have the Patriot Pack, you get the Hostess goodies as well as the additional costumes, karaoke, etc. Everything comes together.

For anyone having issues with those codes yesterday, it should have started working as soon as PSN finished updating last night. Let me know if you get an invalid code issue for some reason, and we can get you in touch with our customer support team.

Hope everyone is enjoying the game so far - I'm going to do another playthrough too. Had almost forgotten how great the first 20 minutes as Majima are!

Oh that's good. I probably should have checked myself but don't have time yet and just went off of other posters.
Is it sad that I really just care about the Majima Karaoke?

I look forward to being able to start this on the weekend.

RubyEclipse

Sega of America
Oh that's good. I probably should have checked myself but don't have time yet and just went off of other posters.
Is it sad that I really just care about the Majima Karaoke?

I look forward to being able to start this on the weekend.

No worries! As to your question...

It's not sad at all. Dressing him up in the Pirate Costume and then doing his Karaoke mode is perhaps one of the greatest moments in the entire game. And I'm not joking. :)

Disagree. Having to look between screens constantly because of a game's heavy amount of story/text is not playable.

but see thats what you need to let go :D just read the basic guidelines "go there, do that" and just enjoy the moody cutscenes and fightscenes.

Started playing last night, so far I like it. I haven't been feeling well and going around the first building that camera was making me feel worse. I'll try again tonight, I don't hink it will be a major issue. I guess I was almost expecting the game layout to be different but it's totally a YAkuza game except you shoot zombie : )
I don't mind the L1 aiming. The first skill I got was head tracking and I'm already just popping the button and shooting instanly to rack up headshots.

but see thats what you need to let go :D just read the basic guidelines "go there, do that" and just enjoy the moody cutscenes and fightscenes.

Pretty much. At this point it's obvious Kenzan! isn't coming out here, so import a copy and have fun playing it with the help of a walkthrough guide. It's better than the alternative: never playing it.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Pretty much. At this point it's obvious Kenzan! isn't coming out here, so import a copy and have fun playing it with the help of a walkthrough guide. It's better than the alternative: never playing it.

Actually the better alternative is to just watch the translated walkthroughs on Youtube.

frequency

No worries! As to your question...

It's not sad at all. Dressing him up in the Pirate Costume and then doing his Karaoke mode is perhaps one of the greatest moments in the entire game. And I'm not joking. :)

That is...
I need to play this game. The weekend can't come soon enough!

For anyone who bought their copy from GameStop, were all of the pre-order bonuses contain in one PSN download code/key?

I got two codes.

A game that focuses heavily on story and characters tends to be a lot better when you can directly understand it.

Yeah, so under that definition it is not worth playing it and therefore definitely not worth watching it. The act of actually playing Yakuza is pretty important to the experience (same with all games).

frequency

Yeah, so under that definition it is not worth playing it and therefore definitely not worth watching it. The act of actually playing Yakuza is pretty important to the experience (same with all games).

It's worth experiencing. If a translated video is the only way you can, it's still worth it (assuming you're a Yakuza fan).

RubyEclipse

Sega of America
My deck of playing cards came in the mail today. Thanks, Ruby!
Great - hope you enjoy them! :)

A few more packages went out today too, including Quinntendo's. It should arrive within the next week or so.

To answer the earlier question: I go with Type A, usually. I did Type B in the Japanese version, but A feels a little more natural to me now.

frequency

I am a Yakuza fan. Taking the interactivity out of the games makes them garbage.

I disagree, but that's okay.

I do still take issue with you saying it must be a bad game because the other poster recommended watching a translated walkthrough for the Japanese-impaired though.

It's not a bad game and the only reason that was a suggestion was because playing a story-heavy game with a translation guide isn't really viable for the sane.
I vouch for it being an excellent game - provided you know the language.

RubyEclipse

Sega of America
What cards are these? Are they just regular Poker cards or is there some TCG?
Normal playing cards, with the Yakuza: Dead Souls pack art on the back of each card, and in a collector's tin:

The Tin:

6965634317_9e209fae62.jpg

And the cards:

6819513122_75768492f1.jpg

This and the rest of the collector's merch (shown a couple pages back) was created in limited quantities, so each piece is relatively rare.

Top Bottom