• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Youkai Watch 2 sold over 1.2 million units during first 4 days in Japan (Famitsu)

I don't think Inazuma Eleven is gonna continue though. They've exhausted all possibilities. Best team in all of history, best team in all of space. It's kinda like when Pokemon made Arceus, and now every Pokemon from then on is not ever gonna be the best, except unlike Inazuma Eleven, you can still make more Pokemon without the worry of making them stronger than the last generation.

Though I'd love to see Inazuma Eleven Go's cast come back older as well, but then the original Inazuma Eleven cast is gonna be super old by the time that happens... >.>

I think the point is, at the same time, don't give level-5 too much credit. I think GAF has every right to be worried for a series. They sure love exhausting series

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I don't think Inazuma Eleven is gonna continue though. They've exhausted all possibilities. Best team in all of history, best team in all of space. It's kinda like when Pokemon made Arceus, and now every Pokemon from then on is not ever gonna be the best, except unlike Inazuma Eleven, you can still make more Pokemon without the worry of making them stronger than the last generation.

Though I'd love to see Inazuma Eleven Go's cast come back older as well, but then the original Inazuma Eleven cast is gonna be super old by the time that happens... >.>

I think the point is, at the same time, don't give level-5 too much credit. I think GAF has every right to be worried for a series. They sure love exhausting series

There's a world cup once in four years and jus tbecause your team has won the cup in one year this doesn't render it not interesting for fans the next time. They could have the characters age and have a new team composition or outright let the players assume the role of a new team challenging the old team.

L~A

Pokémon X Youkai Watch happening some days?

Probably never, not as a game at least. I could see some Pokémon appearing in Youkai Watch (and vice-versa, some YW characters in Pokémon), but not really sure to be honest.

How would it work?

Maybe a special anime or something... problem is, despite the many similarities, they are quite different (definitely not the same kind of universe/atmosphere).

Then again, it's Level-5, they could cook up some crazy time/dimension travelling story, ha ha.

Posting those here since they got totally ignored in the other thread :p

90s version of the TV ad: YouTube

Making-off: YouTube

Sandfox

Probably never, not as a game at least. I could see some Pokémon appearing in Youkai Watch (and vice-versa, some YW characters in Pokémon), but not really sure to be honest.

How would it work?

Maybe a special anime or something... problem is, despite the many similarities, they are quite different (definitely not the same kind of universe/atmosphere).

Then again, it's Level-5, they could cook up some crazy time/dimension travelling story, ha ha.

Posting those here since they got totally ignored in the other thread :p

90s version of the TV ad: YouTube

Making-off: YouTube

The Youkai Watch and Pokemon anime air on the same channel and are animated by the same studio so it probably could happen if the companies really wanted to.

mclem

Well, I was very wrong. I was fairly certain that while YW2 would sell well, I didn't think it could sell, at launch, to 80% or so of the userbase of the first game (the percentage, roughly, needed to hit 1M in the launch week); that's a massive loyalty retention. To have done significantly more than that - to have sold to well over 100% - is very impressive indeed.

I wonder if the YW1 sales as were frequently reported didn't include the free promotional copies in Japan, because that's a factor I didn't think to take into account.

Skele7on

Banned
but will these games ever come to the west?

I really really hope so. I would buy, also bring the special edition 3ds too, that'd be great.

oti

Banned
The ghost of Professor Layton should make an appearance in Yokai Watch 3 because I think Layton will be just about milked to death by then.

I know people who buy and play through every single Professor Layton. It's kinda like their CoD or FIFA. Insanely popular franchise here in Germany.

Oersted

This isn't port begging, because I'm genuinely curious. Is there a reason this is exclusive to 3DS? It's so massive that they could sell insane amounts on all platforms

Lives from a multiplat in the vein of Pokemon and Monster Hunter. Splitting the userbase would be dumb

RalchAC

At least, those are my two cents

I think the problem, outside the hate that it gets on GAF, is that it's a risky proposition. If for some reason they are unable to find their next big thing in 2 or 3 years they could be on financial problems.

I agree that going with multimedia projects is a "temporary" success unless you're talking about anomalies like Pokemon, which now isn't only fueled by kids but the young adults that kept playing because of the competitive aspect / nostalgia / whatever.

Pokemon anime is brilliant. The story is light and simple, most chapters are standalone (aside the Gym / Pokemon League part). Main character doesn't get older, you don't need to go through the whole thing to start watching the series. I'm sure I could start watching the latest season while skipping the older stuff and it'd be ok.

The game series has nailed the elements that usually the most succesful series share.

- Standalone chapters: Instead of continuing the previous game story, each one is on a different continent and has a different main character.
- A formula: Badges + Team Something + Pokemon league in Pokemon are the crystals in Classic FF and the elemental Spirits in Tales.

For what I've heard Assassin's Creed is a nice example of a non-JRPG series that has nailed those factors. They have different ages and the Assassin's vs Templar formula.

I think Layton could have stayed relevant longer due to how each investigation is pretty much standalone. I don't think Inazuma could have worked well for them.

I'd like to see Level-5 trying to do a Skylanders-like game. They seem like the most suites company to do this kind of project.

What other platforms are even relevant in Japan? Answer: none.

Poor PS3.

I know people who buy and play through every single Professor Layton. It's kinda like their CoD or FIFA. Insanely popular franchise here in Germany.

Layton was quite succesful among adults and women, for what I've seen. I know some people whose parents have a DS just to play those two games. And they loved them.

Sadly most now play Candy Crush Saga :(

Hagi

How import friendly are these games? would i be fine just playing through it with a guide? I have a JPN 3DSXL collecting dust and I'm going to Tokyo on Thursday so i might pick it up with some other games like the new Taiko.

zeromcd73

How import friendly are these games? would i be fine just playing through it with a guide? I have a JPN 3DSXL collecting dust and I'm going to Tokyo on Thursday so i might pick it up with some other games like the new Taiko.

The Japanese level required to understand this game is pretty low from what I found. It is a kids game after all :)

Hagi

The Japanese level required to understand this game is pretty low from what I found. It is a kids game after all :)

Ah sweet I'll be starting TextFugu when i get back so it might come in handy down the road anyway. Thanks for the input!

squall23

This right here is the inherent problem I have with Level 5 IPs. They don't end. Level 5 spends so much effort to give us all these stories and settings but once the money dries up and popularity's gone, there is no proper ending to these huge IPs. They just kill them off. Layton 3's ending made me go "that's it"? Danball Senki's ending made me go "so many questions unanswered". And IEGO's ending made me go "wow, this series can't possibly get any worse or crazy".

Hell, I would've take a special final episode of Endou marrying Natsumi than all of IEGO. Because at least that would've been an ending.

sörine

Banned
Thirteenth. I can't list them now but they are on the Famitsu site.
Pokémon X / Y
Animal Crossing: New Leaf
Monster Hunter 4
New Super Mario Bros. 2
Mario Kart 7
Super Mario 3D Land
Tomodachi Life
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
Puzzle & Dragons Z
Dragon Quest VII
Yo-Kai Watch 2
Yo-Kai Watch
Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon

At the end of the year we'll be able to add Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate, Super Smash Bros. 3DS and Pokémon ORAS.

Pokemon-esque + successful cross-media campaign

I bet a huge appeal comes from the excellent job they did on translating ghosts of folklore to a modern, kid oriented platform.
The designs of all the youkai are cool, charming & fun. Some of them a bit freaky and outlandish. I can see how any kid would want to summon these guys.
Even with it's roots in Japanese folklore I can see this franchise taking off in the west as well.

Finalow

"no shit".

seriously, this is not surprising at all. Youkai Watch is huge in Japan, especially thanks to the anime and all the merchandise that is being sold.

Dr. Buni

So much for the Japanese market for games being dead. lol

Anyway, I have no idea about how this game plays, but I want to play it someday. Is it like Pogeymanz?

Top Bottom