• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your Favorite Weapon in Elden Ring?

So many amazing weapons in this game. And I always discover new stuff in threads like these, even after hundreds of hours. Now that we have the DLC, time for a fresh update on what you like using most in Elden Ring.

Base game I used the Starscourge Greatswords almost exclusively after getting them
maxresdefault.jpg

The DLC has had much better variety, and I'm coming across tons of stuff I like using.

Shout out to the Backhand Blades and Rellana's Twin Swords. But the real standout is Milady.

This is a new Light Greatsword weapon type, and it just really fucking cool. Great look and amazing moveset pairing it with the new 'Wing Stance' Ash of War (only useable on light greatswords) makes it incredibly badass. And I think that wins for me right now.
th

So, what is everyone's favorite weapon to use in Elden Ring?

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Longsword, think I've beaten every souls game with it.

I like it's simplicity, and it's quite versatile too thanks to it's moveset.

I also don't like the design of some of the later weapons, they look kinda weird or impractical. I prefer more grounded stuff.

Last edited:

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
It changes daily haha, but right now probably the Ancient Meteor Greatsword from the DLC.

I have a permanent hard-on for gigantic over top two handed swords that can stagger anything.

And the special attack is amazing for gap closing and AOE.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

I like a few of the katanas.
There's a late game sword that does some gold/holy attack, that's fun too.
Haven't tried the DLC yet.

Sgt.Asher

The anchor for bonks and deaths poker for the best weapon art.
I would like the golden order sword if it actually scaled like golden order Incantations.

I'm a Dark Moon Greatsword guy (Black Knight Greatsword in past games), really liking the Greatsword of Solitude. Moonveil was solid during the base game but I got tired of it and wanted something new, thinking about a respec to str/fth or dex/fth to use more of the cool new DLC weapons though.

Bloodhound Fang from start to end...
I used that for everything until I got Radahn's Swords, even though I didn't want too.

A badass weapon, with a great weapon art. But I kind of hated how much I had to rely on it when I used it because it really did not vibe with the build I had in mind, and I just wanted anything else to be my main weapon lol.

Really damn good and cool weapon though.

Zug

M'lady (*tips fedora*) is the main weapon of my spellword, one of the best designed weapon in all the Souls series.
I also really like the Mesmer soldier great spear. It's simple but great.

Antwix

Base game : Guardian Swordspear
DLC : Milady

Runner ups : Nagakiba/uchi, Fire Knight Greatsword (DLC), Dane's Footwork (DLC), Zweihander, Maliketh Black Blade, Messmer's Impaler (DLC)

Last edited:

Codes 208

Even after the nerf, the moonveil and river of blood were my go-to’s. But the berserk-inspired Greatsword is always a fun whomping stick

Last edited:

EruditeHobo

Went through most of the initial game using katanas and daggers, so Rivers of Blood & Reduvia are way high on my list... and I also went into Arcane because I was obsessed with the dragon incants that you can see really early in the game, so because of how cool they seemed the lore for my character became some kind of dragon assassin or something? Anyway, that pushed me toward the Dragon head fist weap from Margott, which pushed me toward claws/fists in general... and those are also fun! Especially if they have a cool unique ash, like that Dragon head and the bloodfang claws.

In the DLC so far I'm loving the backhand blades & Milady, and also using beast claws a bit. Haven't seen the kung-fu stuff yet, will definitely give that a go once I encounter.

Light greatswords in particular are excellent... feels like they have some of the agility of katanas and some of the poise-breaking of greatswords. Very nice middle ground for me, because I can't stand a slow weapon but wanted to try some other options that aren't katanas. Also, stringing light and heavy attacks in a relatively smooth animation, all the interesting stance things happening, all that is really appealing. And with a 2-hit jumping strong attack, as well? Pretty good!

Last edited:

Soodanim

My go-to these days is the Rotten Battle Hammer from late base game with Bleed infusion. The 2 most powerful status effects on a hard hitting poise breaking hammer destroys things if you get an opening. When you add in the right Talismans things get wild because the damage keeps going up and up.

But what I enjoy most is unusual, unique weapons. The Grafted Dragon's L2 up close will do big damage to anything that doesn't resist it, and the standard L1s are fast. A great off-hand weapon.

Carian Knight Sword is also a fun one if you can get off the charged L2, even better with buffs.

Glintstone Kris has a great L2 with a lot of utility. For a small weapon, this thing is excellent and underrated.

I've just got the Lightning Bottle in the DLC and I'm enjoying the uniqueness of that weapon's play style with the delays and trails changing how you interact with enemies. I assume/hope there are more variants.

As OP said, I'm also enjoying Milady and the backhand blades.

Arachnid

Bloodhound Fang, Moonviel, Malenias sword, and the Great Katana are the weapons I've messed around with most. I'm trying to find new dex weapons to play through the DLC with. I've banned myself from Bloodhound and Moonviel just because the ashes of war are just too damn good. Malenias ash of war is OK for PvE (people can cancel it out and floor you too easily), but it is GOD MODE for PvP. People seriously just cant dodge waterfowl so I always keep it slotted as a swap out lmao. Great Katana is fun as shit with a great ash of war, but not OP. The things I like most about it is the insane reach for pokes, the combo being the exact same animation as the longsword in Monster Hunter, and the solid blood loss build up, and how it staggers the shit out of everything that isn't a boss.

Anyone have any other favorite dex weapons? I'm about to try out the backhand swords already

I've just got the Lightning Bottle in the DLC and I'm enjoying the uniqueness of that weapon's play style with the delays and trails changing how you interact with enemies. I assume/hope there are more variants.
I've found at least three versions of this weapon. They're all different elements/status ailments. I think I'll use them as an off hand weapon

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Glintstone Kris has a great L2 with a lot of utility. For a small weapon, this thing is excellent and underrated.
That weapon with high INT is crazy strong, I can do close to 4k damage even on strongest enemy.

The best part is its Glintstone Dart costs less FP than Glintstone Pebble and you can charge it.

Soodanim

That weapon with high INT is crazy strong, I can do close to 4k damage even on strongest enemy.

The best part is its Glintstone Dart costs less FP than Glintstone Pebble and you can charge it.
Am I right in thinking it also passes through enemies? Line em up and shoot em down.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

Dual Blasphemous Blade when fighting through areas, dual curved sword weapons if the boss is too fast for great swords.

Danjin44

Am I right in thinking it also passes through enemies? Line em up and shoot em down.
Yup if enemies close to each other it pierce through multiple enemies and it has great flow up attack with R2......I think the reason its overlooked is because you have to go through lengthy Sellen's quest line to get it.

Last edited:

Danjin44

Comet, nothing more satisfying than landing a big hitting comet, while relaxing at a safe distance.
If the enemy/boss stays in one place, the aggressive ones will destroy you.

It works great against Mohg because that guys doesn't dodge, he just walks straight at you.

Fess

Bloodhound’s Fang and it’s not even close, looks cool and has an awesome special in Bloodhound’s Finesse where you slash and flip backwards.
Just talking about it makes me want to skip the classic astrologer build I’m having right now, glintstone and gravity magic is convenient but not cool.

winjer

Gold Member
Bloodhound’s Fang. Great range and hits like a truck. Has a very good jump in heavy.
It's double charged attack, hits tree times and can stagger most enemies. Though it requires a big opening to perform.
And it's ash of war is very good. Also, it can be buffed with spells and consumables.

Moonveil for an Int build is great. But goes out the window as soon as I got the Dark Moon Greatsword. This thing is like a battle rifle with infinite ammo.

Starscourge is great. Just thumping these lesser armored enemies all day long.
Shout out to Battle Hammer too, feels like im breaking limbs with the damn thing.
And of course, the mvps of me getting the plat in the base game, Godslayers Greatsword and Black Knife.

Last edited:
dont really have a favourite but my most disappointing weapon in the DLC is hands down the carian thrusting sword. I have no idea what they were smoking. A rapier that can cast sorcery with R2? sounds good right? well, it lacks sorcery scaling so your spells does shit damage. The sword attacks have poor scaling and you cant even change the weapon art. It's so bad it's not even funny.

John Bilbo

I currently play with the Sword of Night & Flame. It has great versatility that suits me.

I really liked playing with Marika's Hammer but the playstyle got old at some point. Wouldn't mind using it every now and then though.

Originally a dual wielding bleed katana user. I traded those in for the Claymore and have never looked back. Now, with the DLC, the Greatsword of Solitude is my end all, be all. Backup Claymore for dual wielding if needed.

Right Hand: Greatsword of Solitude, Golden Order Seal
Left Hand: Brass Shield, Claymore (w/Frost)
Spells: Golden Vow, Flame Grant Me Strength, Lightning Spear, Stone of Gurranq

Summons: Lone Wolf Ashes (only for bosses i think have trash design)

Last edited:
My favorite theoretical weapon is the Magma Whip Candlestick. Unfortunately many enemies have high fire resistance, it has a considerable wind-up for the fastest srike, and its range is short which make it impractical to use on foot. If it did twice as much damage it would be pretty amazing.
skill-sea-of-magma-elden-ring-wiki-480px.gif

My favorite practical weapon is a short spear with spectral lance skill. Fast pokes and ranged ability make it great. Pair it with a good shield and enemies dying becomes a matter of when instead of if.
spectral_lance_gif_elden_ring_wiki_guide.gif

Last edited:
I've always been fond of power stancing daggers with the Black Knife in my dominant hand. If not that, I tend to fall back on the Meteoric Ore Blade.

Top Bottom