• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys 7 - US Release August 17th - $29.99 retail and PSN |OT|

Volcynika

After I grab a shower, time to get after it!

148379445-050356f2394c55c3271ea20d39fab41c.4c6de8a8-scaled.jpg

LowParry

Teknoman said:
Now I wish I went with the LE...maybe i'll grab the Ys III PSP LE when that hits.

That's what I plan to get cause it's my most memorable Ys game of all of them.

Sidenote/off topic: For PSP, if I have two memory sticks, do each have to have the system update?

matmanx1

This battle system is glorious. It's Tales of Vesperia without the loading screen pauses and I'm loving the rock solid framerate as well as it compliments the fast and smooth gameplay in the best possible way.

This game may delay my finishing of DQ9....!

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
The battle system is glorious, but the bosses feel so frickin impossible to beat. I'm a turn-based rpg guy and don't play many action games, so I feel like a sluggish old man when I'm up against these bosses. I guess this is a common to reaction to Ys bosses though, hopefully :lol

LowParry

mattiewheels said:
The battle system is glorious, but the bosses feel so frickin impossible to beat. I'm a turn-based rpg guy and don't play many action games, so I feel like a sluggish old man when I'm up against these bosses. I guess this is a common to reaction to Ys bosses though, hopefully :lol

Welcome to Ys. Where the series defines hardcore. :D

Deeku

Bahahahah! I've been refreshing the LE page all morning on Playasia and finally managed to snag their only copy!:D :D

Aeana

I'll mention flash guard again for the new people. I don't know why the game doesn't mention it earlier. Hold R and press L just before an enemy attack lands, and you'll take zero damage, regain a load of SP, and your next attack will crit. Mastery of that technique is really helpful for boss fights, and almost required on nightmare at times.

Teknoman

mattiewheels said:

Slash and dash. Also patterns.

EDIT: Yeah, glad I read the manual for the flash guard tech.

Aeana said:
It only does it on the field, not in dungeons.
Ah, that would explain it then.
And it seems like PSP doesn't even hold a charge with how much I've been playing this game. I had to charge it twice today. :lol

Aeana said:
Yes; it goes all the way back to the first game.

oh, ok :lol

I'm glad I'll be hearing it when I play the next games on PSP, or whatever other system. It's a nice tune!

Aeana said:
I'll mention flash guard again for the new people. I don't know why the game doesn't mention it earlier. Hold R and press L just before an enemy attack lands, and you'll take zero damage, regain a load of SP, and your next attack will crit. Mastery of that technique is really helpful for boss fights, and almost required on nightmare at times.

I literally paused the game after the second boss to mention this. It says it in the manual, but not in the game. Would have helped a lot on the first boss because the second one was a pushover once I got the timing down. In fact, if you spend one round just learning the timing, the second attempt is a breeze.

Currently 10 or so hours in on Nightmare difficulty and going strong! I just finished the Fire Shrine with LV20 characters and the boss battle there was, of course, epic as shit! Guy had around 20,000 some HP and Perfect Guarding was once again an essential piece to master. Does anyone know if boss HP is higher on harder modes? Because 20,000+ HP seemed like A LOT.

A tip for those trying to get more into Perfect Guarding. I actually find it easier to just tap both the L and R buttons at the same time of a move impact instead of holding the one button and pressing the other. I don't think I have ever done it the other way, pressing both at the same time, to me, just feels more natural.

So, overall, this is still pretty much the best thing ever! :D

Aeana

Gazel Ministry said:
A tip for those trying to get more into Perfect Guarding. I actually find it easier to just tap both the L and R buttons at the same time of a move impact instead of holding the one button and pressing the other. I don't think I have ever done it the other way, pressing both at the same time, to me, just feels more natural.
Eh, too easy to accidentally use an EXTRA skill if you accidentally hit L first. Also, I usually have R down for skills most of the time anyway, so it works fine for me.

Aeana said:
Eh, too easy to accidentally use an EXTRA skill if you accidentally hit L first. Also, I usually have R down for skills most of the time anyway, so it works fine for me.

True, true, but how often do you get a chance to use an EX skill in a boss fight? Twice at the most? I guess it depends on how long the boss battle is/how much HP the boss has.

Aeana

Gazel Ministry said:
True, true, but how often do you get a chance to use an EX skill in a boss fight? Twice at the most? I guess it depends on how long the boss battle is/how much HP the boss has.
Fair point about boss fights, but I do use flash guard plenty against normal enemies as well, which is where I'm more concerned about wasting my EXTRA skill.

Pappasman

This is my first Ys game and its super awesome. I was wondering, how long is this game?

Also I don't see why Adol is kind of a non-character. He should have dialog and a personality like every one else.

Aeana

Pappasman said:
This is my first Ys game and its super awesome. I was wondering, how long is this game?

Also I don't see why Adol is kind of a non-character. He should have dialog and a personality like every one else.
The Japanese version took me 24 hours.

And... fans would riot if Adol had dialog, I'm afraid. He has some in Ys 4: Mask of the Sun, and it wasn't pretty.

Imagine what people would do if Link talked. It's kind of like that.

While it's true that load times off UMD are super short, I think it takes a toll on the battery. That or my PSP-3000 battery is messed up.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Linkzg said:
While it's true that load times off UMD are super short, I think it takes a toll on the battery. That or my PSP-3000 battery is messed up.

Honestly, it's killing my battery, too.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
How is the AI during battle for the characters you aren't controlling? Will they be constantly dying because I don't babysit them?

How is the AI during battle for the characters you aren't controlling? Will they be constantly dying because I don't babysit them?

The AI for the non active characters is very unobtrusive, they will help out, but will rarely take any damage, and even if they somehow lose all their HP they won't die until you are controlling them, you'll jump into them with say 1 HP and have a second to use a healing item or whatever. They will use skills when you do, but it doesn't take up any SP, and they tend to be pretty smart at figuring out what to attack as well. All in all it works surprisingly well.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
The AI for partner is great. As the poster above me said, they're totally unobtrusive, and are surprisingly helpful.

duckroll

thetrin said:
Honestly, it's killing my battery, too.

Yes, I get a lot less mileage from Ys7 than any other game I've played on PSP this year (and I've played A LOT). Then I realized that this is the first game where either a) I'm not playing a PSN download, or b) has no install function.

I guess the disc music streaming is really killing it the battery. :(

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
bishopcruz said:
The AI for the non active characters is very unobtrusive, they will help out, but will rarely take any damage, and even if they somehow lose all their HP they won't die until you are controlling them, you'll jump into them with say 1 HP and have a second to use a healing item or whatever. They will use skills when you do, but it doesn't take up any SP, and they tend to be pretty smart at figuring out what to attack as well. All in all it works surprisingly well.

That... That sounds really good. Damn it! I was hoping it'd suck so I could avoid it and not add to my collection of games I need to finish.

duckroll

Great. So it turns out I missed getting quest 7, because the quest contents is actually something you will go through anyway in the story, and now there's no way to ever get it since I technically already completed it without ever getting the quest. Whoever designed that quest needs to get kicked in the head. :p

duckroll

Volcynika said:
Are quests obvious to get? I've only gotten to the first dungeon before I stopped last night.

Not particularly. You won't know if a certain NPC has a quest until you actually talk to the NPC. Sometimes a quest isn't available immediately, and might be offered later. It's not a problem in general though, since most quests seem to be general side quests with no expiry so far. The particular quest I missed is just designed really badly and really easy to miss.

Median

Sorry to ask in this thread, but have any of you CFW folks bought this off of PSN? Is there any way to get it working on 5.50 Prometheus or am I out $30?

Median said:
Sorry to ask in this thread, but have any of you CFW folks bought this off of PSN? Is there any way to get it working on 5.50 Prometheus or am I out $30?

Would there be anything different between the PSN version and the disk version? I bought the disk version and it works fine on my CFW, but it would seem odd that the PSN version is somehow different and doesn't work on CFW. What happens when you try to play it?

Median

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Would there be anything different between the PSN version and the disk version? I bought the disk version and it works fine on my CFW, but it would seem odd that the PSN version is somehow different and doesn't work on CFW. What happens when you try to play it?

I get the "The game could not be started (80010087)" error when I try to play the game. I think it might be encryption related. I know there used to be a process to make an ISO out of store packages, but I tried finding info on how to do it again and got nothing.

Aeana

Median said:
I get the "The game could not be started (80010087)" error when I try to play the game. I think it might be encryption related. I know there used to be a process to make an ISO out of store packages, but I tried finding info on how to do it again and got nothing.
You need a homebrew program called NP Decryptor.

Salaadin

I though my battery wasnt holding up well for MGS: PW and then Ys Seven comes around and kills it even faster. I cant believe how fast that thing is draining.

I went to bed after beating Boss 4 last night and I have the boss theme stuck in my head all day so far. Its driving me crazy. I want to go home and play.

Im really liking the weapon/skill upgrade system so far. Everytime I get a new weapon, I buy it but always make sure that I have all current skills past level 1 so I can use them on other weapons. I know theres gotta be some Im missing but Im happy with what I have so far.

matmanx1

Erasus said:
Never tried a Ys game. But I like RPGs.

Should I jump on this GAF?

Yeah I'm pretty hard to please when it comes to action rpg's as it is my favorite genre. Ys 7 is the real deal, especially in the gameplay department which is obviously the most important thing. I'm really pleased thus far.

Salaadin

Erasus said:
Never tried a Ys game. But I like RPGs.

Should I jump on this GAF?

Dont even bother reading this reply and just go to the store and buy it.

EDIT: Are there any sources online for Ys:OiF sprites? Id love to have one of Adol.

Median

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Did you follow the instructions for changing names and such of the files?

Yep. Extracted the files to the game's folder, renamed the game eboot to NP.PBP, still throws errors. Tried it by putting the eboot into the npd folder I got in the archive as well and got nothing. Are there multiple versions of the program out there?

Median said:
Yep. Extracted the files to the game's folder, renamed the game eboot to NP.PBP, still throws errors. Tried it by putting the eboot into the npd folder I got in the archive as well and got nothing. Are there multiple versions of the program out there?

Just to be sure these are the instructions you followed?

Locate EBOOT.PBP of the game to decrypt and change its name to NP.PBP. Copy EBOOT.PBP and npeg.prx from this release in that folder. Run NpegDecryptor. The game will be decrypted to the ISO folder with some name as “NPEG-XXXXX.iso” “NPUG-XXXXXX.iso”… After decryption, you can play the iso game normally as you would do with other iso, try various umd modes if one don’t work.

? As far as I know there's one version, I can't seem to find any others by searching.

Median

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Just to be sure these are the instructions you followed?

Locate EBOOT.PBP of the game to decrypt and change its name to NP.PBP. Copy EBOOT.PBP and npeg.prx from this release in that folder. Run NpegDecryptor. The game will be decrypted to the ISO folder with some name as “NPEG-XXXXX.iso” “NPUG-XXXXXX.iso”… After decryption, you can play the iso game normally as you would do with other iso, try various umd modes if one don’t work.

? As far as I know there's one version, I can't seem to find any others by searching.

Yep, those are the instructions I followed. It's cool though, I managed to find a store here that's got a copy, so I'm going to go grab it later on. Thanks for the help though, much appreciated.

Top Bottom