• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys 7 - US Release August 17th - $29.99 retail and PSN |OT|

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Got my CE in the mail today. The packing is really nice. Reminds me a lot of the glory days of Working Designs.

Liking the game itself quite a bit as well. It still feels like Ys, but the addition of synthing and a party is really interesting.

Liking it a lot so far.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Salaadin said:
I posted asking for help and then realized 2 seconds after hitting Submit that I was a dumbass.

Oh, hahaha.

I'm lost in the tree dungeon. I just got the boots to take out the spikes and keep running in circles. Is there something else here, like a boss or am I done and should go elsewhere?

Teknoman

robut said:
I'm lost in the tree dungeon. I just got the boots to take out the spikes and keep running in circles. Is there something else here, like a boss or am I done and should go elsewhere?

Think about something you might have passed early on.

Edgeward

My Premium Edition came in today! The package is quite nice and the artbook is quite nice to flip through. The cloth map is a cut above the rest of the extras though. Feels so soft. :D

The game really does start out slow, but when I finally can start killing stuff. AH, gaming bliss. So fast moving and responsive, feels even better than 6's. Only just got to the shrine I am supposed to go to, but I already love it. And saving anywhere finally gives me a perfect game to play in between my work breaks.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I've gotta say, this game is incredibly well executed. The battle system really scratches that diablo/torchlight smash n loot itch that no other game on the system really does, too.

Since i've never played an Ys game, are the PC games (4, 5 and 6 i guess) equally as good as this? Very similar kind of things?

thetrin

mattiewheels said:
I've gotta say, this game is incredibly well executed. The battle system really scratches that diablo/torchlight smash n loot itch that no other game on the system really does, too.

Since i've never played an Ys game, are the PC games (4, 5 and 6 i guess) equally as good as this? Very similar kind of things?

Very similar! (Ys 7 is the only one with a party system)

Btw, you're missing out not playing the other Ys games. Missing out big time.

You should get Oath in Felghana for PSP in November! And Ys I & II on in January!

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
thetrin said:
You should get Oath in Felghana for PSP in November! And Ys I & II on in January!
Yep, that's the plan. I'm glad they're giving us so much at once basically.

thetrin

mattiewheels said:
Yep, that's the plan. I'm glad they're giving us so much at once basically.

I think you'll like it. The older Ys games have an old school simplicity to them that's really refreshing.

neoism

:D :D :D Boy was I right... this game is fucking fuuuun.... I'm so glad there's 6 more games.... :D What else is coming to the psp. I think I seen Ys3 on psp coming in a few month I think.... can't wait.:D

neoism

thetrin said:
Very similar! (Ys 7 is the only one with a party system)

Btw, you're missing out not playing the other Ys games. Missing out big time.

Volcynika

Ferga said:
Any voice acting in the game at all besides the grunts and stuff?

I'm just beginning it now :D

Battle voices are about it for the most part. Oath in Felghana is the one with lots of VA coming, I think.

duckroll

Voice has no place in a Ys game anyway. Felghana was probably a mistake. Falcom wanted to see if it would create more sales and open the game up to a large audience who wants voiced cutscenes, but obviously they didn't bite. It's a waste of money for Falcom to put in a feature which no one ever asked for honestly.

neoism

duckroll said:
Voice has no place in a Ys game anyway. Felghana was probably a mistake. Falcom wanted to see if it would create more sales and open the game up to a large audience who wants voiced cutscenes, but obviously they didn't bite. It's a waste of money for Falcom to put in a feature which no one ever asked for honestly.

I loved the voices in Star Ocean 2... Half the time I just listened, while I surfed gaf or something.. :lol

thefil

I just saw this video in the PSN update thread.

I have a few questions before I jump in.
1) How is the story in the game? I'm hoping it's either really good or you can skip the cutscenes.
2) Is it actually as fast as the video? O_O

Salaadin

thefil said:
I just saw this video in the PSN update thread.

I have a few questions before I jump in.
1) How is the story in the game? I'm hoping it's either really good or you can skip the cutscenes.
2) Is it actually as fast as the video? O_O

1) Its good. They dont do anything groundbreaking but its enough to keep you interested. The characters it has introduced so far are all great too.

2) Yes, its that fast.

duckroll said:

Did PSP Oath not sell well in Japan or something? Dunno about OiF as I haven't played the PSP one, but I remember Gurumin had pretty good VAs in the Japanese PC version at least. Were the fans just not happy about having to rebuy the game or something? Seems odd because Sora no Kiseki has done well on PSP no, and that would be the same deal right?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I have yet to get the game, will see tomorrow if our local store has it already.

neoism said:
I loved the voices in Star Ocean 2... Half the time I just listened, while I surfed gaf or something.. :lol

Second Story of Second Evolution? Second Evolution had bad voice acting. The voiceovers (and art) of Second Story were superior.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
duckroll said:
Agree.

Aeana

bishopcruz said:
Did PSP Oath not sell well in Japan or something? Dunno about OiF as I haven't played the PSP one, but I remember Gurumin had pretty good VAs in the Japanese PC version at least. Were the fans just not happy about having to rebuy the game or something? Seems odd because Sora no Kiseki has done well on PSP no, and that would be the same deal right?
Sora no Kiseki on PSP didn't add much voice, though. Only battle voices.

As for YsF PSP's sales, they weren't great. It did 16k in its first week (Ys 1&2 PSP did 20k).

And as for voice in Ys, I don't really care as long as Adol continues being mute. I actually kind of liked the voices in YsF PSP, myself.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Finally got a chance to sit down and play for an hour or so. I really love the game! The first boss was kinda tough, until I realized that I just basically sprinted right to him, only killing what got into my way.

The CE is super nice, really love the old school cloth map, and was surprised at how many tracks the soundtrack had.

Teknoman

Well there were voiced cutscenes in I&II PCE version and VI PS2 version so I just kinda assumed it was the norm until VII.

Aeana

Teknoman said:
Well there were voiced cutscenes in I&II PCE version and VI PS2 version so I just kinda assumed it was the norm until VII.
Neither of those were made by Falcom, though. Hudson made the PC Engine CD versions, Konami did the PS2 port of Ys 6.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
And, if I'm not mistaken, the Ys 6 voices were added during the port jobs. I'm pretty sure that Falcom's original PC version had no real VA.

Symytry

Did anyone in Canada actually get the game? I went to EB yesterday to inquire about my pre-order but they said it had been changed to August 31st?!

Grimmy

Banned
euro stalker said:
no euro date yet damm.
i want to play this ...

XSEED Facebook: "To answer an earlier question, we are working on the European PSN version now. With any luck it will be up within a month's time."

Why did I not get into this series sooner? The battle system is so fun, and the bosses have been fairly intense so far 5 hours into the game.

Easystride said:
Why did I not get into this series sooner? The battle system is so fun, and the bosses have been fairly intense so far 5 hours into the game.

Don't feel too bad, most people's introduction to the series was Ys III, which while I still like a lot, was not the series' finest hour, mix that with some crappy translations and it never took off here. We didn't get another official release until Ys VI a few years back, and those ports, as has been mentioned, were lackluster.

It a shame that the series is so unknown outside of a few diehards, because gameplay wise, no other Action RPG series touches Ys, at all. Here's again hoping that this does well for XSEED, it needs more marketing though, and maybe get some early review copies to the news outlets, it's been out for a couple of days and still no reviews. Kinda sad.

Symytry said:
Did anyone in Canada actually get the game? I went to EB yesterday to inquire about my pre-order but they said it had been changed to August 31st?!
It has always been Aug 31 on EB Games/Gamestop's and HMV's websites. (Future Shop/Best Buy don't seem to be carrying it.) I had hoped it was an old placeholder and they hadn't updated it since it isn't a huge release, but according to the one I called it hasn't even been shipped yet. There's been no change in the date in their system, so I'm guessing that for some reason, we're going to have to wait a bit. Grab it on PSN if you want to play it now, I guess. I have enough to play for now, so I don't mind waiting. I guess this means I'll be spending a lot that week. Metroid, Valkyria Chronicles, and now Ys as well.

thetrin

God damn, it's actually pretty awesome that the script plays so much upon their past adventures without referencing them too much. I love that Dogi rags on them reaching port in one piece, considering Adol's luck. :lol

Dogi is fast becoming the most likable character in the game.

SoulFist

Just picked this up and am excited to bust through this badboy, but a quick question.

This is my first Ys game, and I don't want it to be too easy, is hard mode a good challenge, or should I hit nightmare straight away?

Teknoman

SoulFist said:
Just picked this up and am excited to bust through this badboy, but a quick question.

This is my first Ys game, and I don't want it to be too easy, is hard mode a good challenge, or should I hit nightmare straight away?

Just go normal mode. Thats still a decent challenge.

thetrin said:
God damn, it's actually pretty awesome that the script plays so much upon their past adventures without referencing them too much. I love that Dogi rags on them reaching port in one piece, considering Adol's luck. :lol

Though when you think about it he's only been shipwrecked twice. And one wasn't even a wreck, he fell overboard. Dunno where this idea of Adol always getting shipwrecked comes from. Most of the time he just travels to a new area, that was the case in 3,4,5,7 and some versions of 1. He only has those issues when he tries crossing impossible to navigate freak storms whirlpools and the like.

So far this game is awesome.

But I have to ask as someone fairly new to the Ys series...is this tune when you get an item from classic Ys games? I can't not hear the Metroid tune.

Aeana

Linkzg said:
So far this game is awesome.

But I have to ask as someone fairly new to the Ys series...is this tune when you get an item from classic Ys games? I can't not hear the Metroid tune.
Yes; it goes all the way back to the first game.

Top Bottom