• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys 7 - US Release August 17th - $29.99 retail and PSN |OT|

Symytry

lordoftherink said:
It has always been Aug 31 on EB Games/Gamestop's and HMV's websites. (Future Shop/Best Buy don't seem to be carrying it.) I had hoped it was an old placeholder and they hadn't updated it since it isn't a huge release, but according to the one I called it hasn't even been shipped yet. There's been no change in the date in their system, so I'm guessing that for some reason, we're going to have to wait a bit. Grab it on PSN if you want to play it now, I guess. I have enough to play for now, so I don't mind waiting. I guess this means I'll be spending a lot that week. Metroid, Valkyria Chronicles, and now Ys as well.

I'm in the same situation, picking up the same titles. I'll wait the 2 weeks for Ys since I have the LE pre-ordered and I am currently in the middle of another game.

duckroll

andymcc said:
it has the greatest amount of rpg-elements of any game in the series, that's for sure.

I'll be hard-pressed to even be able to claim that any Ys game is an action game and NOT a rpg though. The way the series has always been designed has been to balance it as a RPG. Your level and equipment make a huge difference in the game's balance, much more than player skill.

That's not to say that player skill doesn't matter, but fighting a level 5 boss at level 3 without the latest equipment at the time makes it a HUGE grind regardless of player skill, fighting it at level 3 with the latest equipment is relatively challenging, and fighting it at level 6 makes it a complete and utter cake walk.

When a game is designed like this, it is obviously not something you can say is more of an action game than a RPG.

Median said:
Yep, those are the instructions I followed. It's cool though, I managed to find a store here that's got a copy, so I'm going to go grab it later on. Thanks for the help though, much appreciated.

Alright, sucks you gotta buy it twice though. If I find out anything I'll let you know. I have lunch in half an hour and was going to try it on a demo I couldn't get to work.

Median

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Alright, sucks you gotta buy it twice though. If I find out anything I'll let you know. I have lunch in half an hour and was going to try it on a demo I couldn't get to work.
If some of the stuff I've been reading is right, it may actually work on demos but not content purchased on the store. Oh well, I guess I'm inadvertently supporting Falcom and Xseed twice :lol

Aeana

Median said:
If some of the stuff I've been reading is right, it may actually work on demos but not content purchased on the store. Oh well, I guess I'm inadvertently supporting Falcom and Xseed twice :lol
Do you have a Pandora battery? If so, you can just go to official firmware to play Ys 7, and then return to CFW later.

Median

Aeana said:
Do you have a Pandora battery? If so, you can just go to official firmware to play Ys 7, and then return to CFW later.

Not sure I want to go through the hassle. I've considered dual booting firmwares, but I kinda just want to play the game without having to jump through too many more hoops.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
duckroll said:
I'll be hard-pressed to even be able to claim that any Ys game is an action game and NOT a rpg though. The way the series has always been designed has been to balance it as a RPG. Your level and equipment make a huge difference in the game's balance, much more than player skill.

That's not to say that player skill doesn't matter, but fighting a level 5 boss at level 3 without the latest equipment at the time makes it a HUGE grind regardless of player skill, fighting it at level 3 with the latest equipment is relatively challenging, and fighting it at level 6 makes it a complete and utter cake walk.

When a game is designed like this, it is obviously not something you can say is more of an action game than a RPG.
Well, SEVEN does ramp up the RPG elements a lot more compared to the last three games (especially with the multiple characters and equipment crafting), but in general, your levels and equipment are VERY controlled in the series. When you enter a new area, you get A LOT of experience and level up a few times very quickly and then everything starts to give you 1 experience until you're in the next area they want you to level up in. You basically have wiggle room to grind an extra level or so past what they want you to be in each area. From a design standpoint, levels/experience could be taken out of the game and you'd have roughly the same experience, in my opinion. When you get into Hard/Nightmare modes especially, your reflexes are far more important than your leveling.. boss rushes in these levels strip out the extra grinding you may have been able to do in the normal game and really showcase this the best.

I'm not saying those elements aren't there at all but from a "I love RPGs, should I play this" standpoint, I'd say the extremely fast action of the games stand out far more than the fact that you can level up and buy new weapons.

Princess Skittles said:
Well, SEVEN does ramp up the RPG elements a lot more compared to the last three games (especially with the multiple characters and equipment crafting), but in general, your levels and equipment are VERY controlled in the series. When you enter a new area, you get A LOT of experience and level up a few times very quickly and then everything starts to give you 1 experience until you're in the next area they want you to level up in. You basically have wiggle room to grind an extra level or so past what they want you to be in each area. From a design standpoint, levels/experience could be taken out of the game and you'd have roughly the same experience, in my opinion. When you get into Hard/Nightmare modes especially, your reflexes are far more important than your leveling.. boss rushes in these levels strip out the extra grinding you may have been able to do in the normal game and really showcase this the best.

I'm not saying those elements aren't there at all but from a "I love RPGs, should I play this" standpoint, I'd say the extremely fast action of the games stand out far more than the fact that you can level up and buy new weapons.

In recent game this is very true, the exploration and finding new items made Oath in particular feel more like a Metrodvania than a straight up action RPG. This one definitely has a lot more RPG elements as you stated, but it might also have the smoothest leveling curve in an Ys game thus far.

Now a question for those who have beat the game, where is a good strategy for getting mats? I'm especially trying to find Spiritual Waters, Holy Waters, and Soul Stones. I'm in the final area, and these things seem to be far rarer than they should be, especially in comparison to the rest of the game. After each dungeon I always had more than enough materials, but after a run through of this last area I barely had enough to synthesize Adol's best weapon and his shield. This was with a decent bit of backtracking. I need about 30 or so each of the waters, and something like 300 soul stones.

Also, do Dogi and
Geis
have ultimate weapons?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Aeana said:
Ys pretty much epitomizes "action RPG" in my eyes, and always has.

Pretty much. I actually see modern Ys as like a much faster paced and better designed Seiken Densetsu.

Volcynika

Got up to the second boss (playing on Nightmare). Gotta learn his attacks and then teach him a thing or two!

Also: Where the hell do you look at your journal? I swear it told me in a window before, but I forgot how. I wanted to look at the quests I've accepted so far and couldn't figure it out :lol

Just picked this up, I'm new to the series and decided to play Nightmare mode right away because I'm batchit insane. The first boss brutalized my face something awful but damn it feels great to fight to such kick-ass music.

tim.mbp

Just got back from Gamestop with my copy. Will be my first exposure to the Ys series. I'm too much of a pussy to play on Nightmare though. Normal will do just fine.

Oneself

What would you do if you go to a certain store (with a name that sounds a bit like "he bee") to pick-up your pre-ordered regular edition of, let's say, Ys7.. and the two guys working there make a mistake by giving you the special edition box instead of the regular one, so you end up paying only 29.99$CAD for it?

:D

And what if they call you later on and say: "We've given you the wrong box, it would be very appreciated of you to come back here and we'll exchange it FOR FREE!" ?? :lol

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
duckroll said:

I remember in Ys 1, 2 and 6 (the only ones I've played before this one); a single level can make a HUGE difference.

You can go from getting buttfucked, to owning the boss like he/she was nothing.

I mostly enjoy this series because it's pretty mindless, and it has good music.

tim.mbp

Oneself said:
And what if they call you later on and say: "We've given you the wrong box, it would be very appreciated of you to come back here and we'll exchange it FOR FREE!" ?? :lol

Bring it back. You should have done the honest thing in the first place.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Error said:
I remember in Ys 1, 2 and 6 (the only ones I've played before this one); a single level can make a HUGE difference.

You can go from getting buttfucked, to owning the boss like he/she was nothing.

I mostly enjoy this series because it's pretty mindless, and it has good music.

Ys I especially. Fighting the vampire bat at 16 was a fucking pain, but a cakewalk at 18.

Aeana

Volcynika said:
Got up to the second boss (playing on Nightmare). Gotta learn his attacks and then teach him a thing or two!

Also: Where the hell do you look at your journal? I swear it told me in a window before, but I forgot how. I wanted to look at the quests I've accepted so far and couldn't figure it out :lol
Open the item window and select the journal there.

Teknoman

thetrin said:
Ys I especially. Fighting the vampire bat at 16 was a fucking pain, but a cakewalk at 18.

:lol right. I walked in there and got beat up several times, thinking I was doing something wrong. Last attempt, I leveled up twice, slashed through the thing no problem.

Also Ys VII just keeps getting better and better.

thetrin

Wow, the Fire shrine boss was a piece of cake. That was rather surprising.

neoism

HOLY SHIT! this game is fucking amazing. I have it on Hard, and it seems like the prefect difficulty... Definitely one of the funniest battle systems in an RPG I've ever played. I had to get to level 14 before I could beat the spider boss.. :lol I will buy any and all Ys game from now on! :D

thetrin

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Damn, these bosses really kick my ass... :/

If you find that you're taking too much damage and not dealing enough, I find that the following three rules can help:

1) Level until leveling slows down
2) check the synth menu in the potion store, and find out how much it costs to make each of the top weapons for your chosen group. Then go farm.
3) Buy all the latest armor for your team, even if it's pricey.

neoism said:
HOLY SHIT! this game is fucking amazing. I have it on Hard, and it seems like the prefect difficulty... Definitely one of the funniest battle systems in an RPG I've ever played. I had to get to level 14 before I could beat the spider boss.. :lol I will buy any and all Ys game from now on! :D

I'm glad you're liking it! You might actually really like the past Ys games more, since you don't even have to deal with a party in them (not that Ys 7 doesn't do a bang up job with the party system).

One thing I really like about the really early Ys games is the simplicity of items and gear. It's definitely worth going back and playing those!

Grimmy

Banned
My copy STILL hasn't gotten in yet. Sigh.

Luckily am still trying to finish P3P. Maybe it's good that Ys 7 hasn't arrived because otherwise I might just give up on P3P altogether. Talk about a tedious game....

neoism

thetrin said:
If you find that you're taking too much damage and not dealing enough, I find that the following three rules can help:

2) check the synth menu in the potion store, and find out how much it costs to make each of the top weapons for your chosen group. Then go farm.

I'm glad you're liking it! You might actually really like the past Ys games more, since you don't even have to deal with a party in them (not that Ys 7 doesn't do a bang up job with the party system).

One thing I really like about the really early Ys games is the simplicity of items and gear. It's definitely worth going back and playing those!
yeah I'm definitely getting the remake of 3 I looove the art style... :D

thetrin said:

Ya, I forgot to buy armor before I left town so I'm assuming that's not helping so I'm assuming I have to run back.

Edit: Damn, my defense and attack literally doubled after upgrading from the starter stuff. :p

Davedough

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Ya, I forgot to buy armor before I left town so I'm assuming that's not helping so I'm assuming I have to run back.

I'm in the same boat, but I'm only on the first boss lol.

I forgot to buy anything before I left, just headed out of town and thought I was good enough. 2 potions and no armor make for a TOUGH boss battle. I guess I'll have to load instead of retry and just get my stuff together.

Edit: Apparently I didn't save either =( Back to the beginning for me

Davedough said:
I'm in the same boat, but I'm only on the first boss lol.

I forgot to buy anything before I left, just headed out of town and thought I was good enough. 2 potions and no armor make for a TOUGH boss battle. I guess I'll have to load instead of retry and just get my stuff together.

I'm at the third boss and had starting equipment. Or lack there of. :lol

Ettie

I'm going to get this, and I worry that AoN-PSP and the remakes will be ruined for me if I play 7 first. Are they all hack n' slash loot-y happy time? I remember being told that the early Ys games didn't have an attack button, you just ran at the enemy. Truth?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I think leveling up your skill attacks effects everybody's in the party, am I right? And when Do you unlock new skills, when the old ones hit a certain level?

I usually like to try to figure things out by myself, but I'm completely stuck on what to do next. I just beat the first
Sanctum
and I'm supposed to use
the Iskan portals near a Titano in the eastern plains to pass the Dragon Guards, but I can't find it. The only Titano I found there was the dinosaur, but there was no portals near it.

Aeana

Easystride said:
I usually like to try to figure things out by myself, but I'm completely stuck on what to do next. I just beat the first
Sanctum
and I'm supposed to use
the Iskan portals near a Titano in the eastern plains to pass the Dragon Guards, but I can't find it. The only Titano I found there was the dinosaur, but there was no portals near it.
I don't remember that part very clearly, but you can usually view the world map to see an indicator of where you need to go next.

mattiewheels said:
I think leveling up your skill attacks effects everybody's in the party, am I right? And when Do you unlock new skills, when the old ones hit a certain level?
Skills are leveled up by using them, and new ones are learned by getting new weapons. I'm not sure what you mean by "affects everybody's in the party."

B.K.

I just finished the first boss battle. That was a tough fight. I barely won it. Adol was dead, I had used all my healing items, and Dogi only had about 15 HP left.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Aeana said:
Skills are leveled up by using them, and new ones are learned by getting new weapons. I'm not sure what you mean by "affects everybody's in the party."
I meant, do everyone else's skills level at the same time when one character uses their respective skills.....or do they only level for the character that you're using skill and you have to switch chars and use their skills to level them up evenly?

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I'm not very far, just got to the 1st village south of the main city. Its nice to see this getting some attention. I really liked Ark of Napishtim and that got no attention on the board I posted on at the time.

Aeana

mattiewheels said:
I meant, do everyone else's skills level at the same time when one character uses their respective skills.....or do they only level for the character that you're using skill and you have to switch chars and use their skills to level them up evenly?
Skills level when that specific skill is used. So either you take control of a character and use it, or you hope for the AI to use it. It doesn't level any other way.

mattiewheels

Aeana said:
Skills level when that specific skill is used. So either you take control of a character and use it, or you hope for the AI to use it. It doesn't level any other way.
Ah, thanks. I was just curious because whenever I use skill attacks, my party follows suit and uses them too.

Linkzg said:
Do party members level up even if they aren't in your main three?
Yes

Aeana said:
I don't remember that part very clearly, but you can usually view the world map to see an indicator of where you need to go next.
In this case, the two markers on the map are for the next two
Sanctums. Unfortunately, the Iskan portal to bypass the Dragon guard's blockade is not marked.
I will keep looking for now.

Edit: Well, I feel stupid. It was right where they told me: in Altago Plains east, tucked away in the southwest corner.

Ettenra said:
I'm going to get this, and I worry that AoN-PSP and the remakes will be ruined for me if I play 7 first. Are they all hack n' slash loot-y happy time? I remember being told that the early Ys games didn't have an attack button, you just ran at the enemy. Truth?
Not sure what AoN is, but the next Ys game they are releasing in the US, Oath in Felghana, is VERY hack and slashy, but with jumping and a certain amount of platforming added in. And there's some looting in that one, but not nearly as much as this. It's the game coming after that, Ys I&II Chronicles, where you just run into the enemy, no attack button; it's kinda like jousting, if you hit the enemy straight on, you will get hurt, just to the side (or the back), you probably won't (depending on your level and the level of the enemy). Still fun and challenging, but quite a bit different.

LowParry

I love this game. Though it's very different from previous Ys games. And I missing jumping. Beat the second boss. Such a great game. People need more Ys in their lives.

B.K.

What am I supposed to do in Shannoa? I've talked to everyone, but I can't trigger the next scene. The eldress never comes back to her hut.

Top Bottom