• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys 7 - US Release August 17th - $29.99 retail and PSN |OT|

Aeana

robot said:
Is there a trick to that first boss or do I just need to grind a bit. I got him dizzy a few times but wasn't sure how. Game is awesome.
Using flash guard can really help. Hold R and press L right before an enemy attack is about to hit you, and you'll take zero damage, get a ton of SP back, and deal critical hits for your next attack.

Aeana

BaZZaa said:
I want the game 2. But he I'm from Europe... all the good psp rpgs take ages before they come here :(
I don't think it's going to Europe in physical form. They did say it would be on PSN in Europe, though. Dunno when, though, if it's not already up this week.

Jucksalbe

Banned
BaZZaa said:
I want the game 2. But he I'm from Europe... all the good psp rpgs take ages before they come here :(

There won't be a UMD release in Europe but it will be available on PSN sometime soon.
Or you could just import the US version.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Yeah, there could be rights issues on the Konami/Hudson side re: Ys VI. but they have been going through some of their back catalog and putting it up on PSN, so it might still happen.

Loading off memory stick doesn't do much for the game though. Yes, the loads are slightly less long, but that won't help those spoiled by Ys VII. And the graphics are still going to be blurry and nasty; and the framerate utterly atrocious! Still love the game, though!

Meeru

Banned
since theres a retry method whenever u die (except for like 2 boss battles i believe), difficulty setting is pretty pointless?

Aeana

valenti said:
since theres a retry method whenever u die (except for like 2 boss battles i believe), difficulty setting is pretty pointless?
I don't see the connection? Retry doesn't automatically make you better at the game.

Salaadin

Aeana said:
I don't see the connection? Retry doesn't automatically make you better at the game.

Right. Retry just makes the game less of a pain in the ass which is a great thing. You die, you either load your old save to level up some or man up and go at it again. Its brilliant.

Mejilan

valenti said:
Uh... What are you talking about? This is a game where you can save anywhere outside of a boss battle or a cutscene. The retry option is there to streamline the process of getting back into the fight and not rewatching cutscenes.

It still puts you back in the beginning of the fight. It doesn't make the encounter easier. And if you still can't win, you can always reload in order to gain more levels and/or upgrade equipment.

Meeru

Banned
Mejilan said:
Uh... What are you talking about? This is a game where you can save anywhere outside of a boss battle or a cutscene. The retry option is there to streamline the process of getting back into the fight and not rewatching cutscenes.

It still puts you back in the beginning of the fight. It doesn't make the encounter easier. And if you still can't win, you can always reload in order to gain more levels and/or upgrade equipment.

Uh... What are you talking about? Retry option =/= not rewatching cutscenes. I'm saying the retry method makes the game MUCH less punishing for dying. Basically you have infinite lives in a Mario game.

Boss battles are based on patterns. So knowing their pattern after you die, however many (with no punishment), makes the subsequent encounters MUCH easier. If they added where you lose some gold for punishment (say 5-10%?), the game could give some incentive for trying.

That said, this game is amazing.

Aeana

valenti said:
Uh... What are you talking about? Retry option =/= not rewatching cutscenes. I'm saying the retry method makes the game MUCH less punishing for dying. Basically you have infinite lives in a Mario game.

Boss battles are based on patterns. So knowing their pattern after you die, however many (with no punishment), makes the subsequent encounters MUCH easier. If they added where you lose some gold for punishment (say 5-10%?), the game could give some incentive for trying.

The time wasted dying, learning, and retrying isn't punishment enough?

valenti said:

What? Your complaint seems so odd. There are tons of games with that methods of playing and it doesn't make difficulty not matter...

Decided to cancel my LE and just go with the PSN version. Got tired of waiting and ultimately decided I'd rather be able to play it on my both my PSP2000 and GO.
That and I only really wanted to check out the artbook but couldn't justify the extra $20 just for that.

Gonna start playing in a bit :D

Mejilan

valenti said:

What would be the point in specifically punishing the user for utilizing the retry option? You can save anywhere as is, including right before a boss fight, most of which are also prefaced with a healing monument. As I said, the retry option is there to avoid the usual interface shenanigans (select load game, browse to save file, confirm the file load, re-watch cutscenes and boss reveals) and jump right back into the fight. As you said, the bosses are about learning the patterns and properly executing a counter strategy. Forcing you to fiddle with the interface after a loss isn't a punishment that ups the difficulty. It's a mere annoyance. Conversely, restarting the fight from the beginning (instead of forcing you to load your save from the safe room just before the fight) doesn't make that encounter any easier.

Ys games have never punished you for dying, outside of forcing a reload. In the case of boss battles, they're almost always identified beforehand, giving you an opportunity to heal and save. Losing gold or resources upon death are more relevant for traditional RPGs like FF or DQ that allow you to keep most of your progress (exp, loot, events) upon death.

It doesn't really make sense for a game that allows you to save anywhere. In any event, there's no real cause to compare an ARPG to a Mario platformer! Save/reload anywhere mechanics are basically infinite lives no matter how you slice it. The retry option doesn't change that at all!

I suppose I can understand having a basic issue with the infinite lives nature of RPGs in general, but this isn't something that's ever going to change outside of an ironman mode in a Rogue-like, and it seems a bit silly to specifically call out Ys 7's boss retry option. And Ys games in general are already infinitely more customizable than your average RPG, what with 3-5 difficulty settings available outside the box, so to speak.

Nekobo

Haven't gotten far (grinding in the plains, enjoying the music), but I must say I'm digging the fast paced combat system. Seeing monsters explode into an orgy of loot never gets old. Also, after having played a bunch of SMT/Persona games the past three years, the old school fantasy setting feels fresh again.

I think I'm going to like this series.

When's the next one coming out?

Mejilan

I think most retailers have Oath tentatively slated for an early November release, and Ys 1&2 Chronicles for a Q1 2011 release.

Beat the 3rd boss last night, not one of Falcom's better bosses...
hated that I would inevitably knock out its last leg when it was stuck in a corner, so at most 1 of my part could wail on the tongue. Also hated getting trapped by it.

Still I am LOVING the combat. Ys games just make me happy, they are just so well and tightly designed they do very little new, but they are always so well desifned they make old school a joy to play again. It's crazy how I'm generally tired of JRPGs, except when it comes to Falcom.

CAVE343

Mejilan said:
I think most retailers have Oath tentatively slated for an early November release, and Ys 1&2 Chronicles for a Q1 2011 release.

I'm buying every game in the Ys series from now one. I just ordered the Napishtim and am so buying the upcoming games.

Is November in any way realistic? It would be great to have it just before the holidays.

Meeru

Banned
Aeana said:
The time wasted dying, learning, and retrying isn't punishment enough?

boss battle takes like what, 2-3 min tops? I don't want to derail the thread into an argument, so I'll just say the game is fantastic as it is.

Mejilan

bad-joey said:
I'm buying every game in the Ys series from now one. I just ordered the Napishtim and am so buying the upcoming games.

Is November in any way realistic? It would be great to have it just before the holidays.
Definitely. As Aeana mentioned, they basically bought Deuce's fan translations for Oath and Ys 1&2. Which were already quite excellent, I might add. I'm sure they'll do some final tweaking, but 99.9% of the grunt translation work is already done. Also, the retailers settled on the final 8/17 release date for Ys 7 well before XSeed announced it. Pretty sure that current retailer projections jive with the hazy timeline XSeed discussed when the Falcom partnership was first announced.

I don't think slotting such a niche game as Ys Oath is a smart tactic during what's going to be a packed holiday season, though. I'd probably release Oath in January at this point, and Chronicles in April or May.

Oyashiro

I'm about to go get a copy at the local GameStop, but Im just wondering-- how good is the soundtrack? I dunno if I should shell out the extra cash for the LE. I saw a gameplay video a couple days back and heard a boss song that had violins in it which was all kinds of awesome. Is the rest of the soundtrack like that?

Mejilan

Falcom's been in love with violin rock tunes for the last few years. Can't say I'd disagree with them on that count! :)

Salaadin

Oyashiro said:
I'm about to go get a copy at the local GameStop, but Im just wondering-- how good is the soundtrack? I dunno if I should shell out the extra cash for the LE. I saw a gameplay video a couple days back and heard a boss song that had violins in it which was all kinds of awesome. Is the rest of the soundtrack like that?

Im 3 hours in and everything Ive heard so far has been awesome. Im not too worried because its Ys. All of the games have great soundtracks.

Takeda Kenshi

blew Staal
My copy from Gamestop's website is 'backordered' even though the game is showing up as 'In Stock.' Gah... They also saw fit to charge me already. Looks like I'll be waiting a bit before I get a chance to play. :/

Takeda Kenshi said:
My copy from Gamestop's website is 'backordered' even though the game is showing up as 'In Stock.' Gah... They also saw fit to charge me already. Looks like I'll be waiting a bit before I get a chance to play. :/

Amazon fo' lyfe. :D

anddo0

mauaus said:
What are the differences between normal and nightmare, is it steep?

I'd like to know this as well. I've watched several streams so far and everyone is starting on hard difficulty. Is normal too easy?

Either way I'm about to pull the trigger and get this pretty soon.

Aeana

anddo0 said:
I'd like to know this as well. I've watched several streams so far and everyone is starting on hard difficulty. Is normal too easy?

Either way I'm about to pull the trigger and get this pretty soon.
I imagine people are starting on hard on streams because they want to show off. Normal is pretty much perfect to me. I only restarted on nightmare because I already beat it on normal last year.

I started on Nightmare and I just finished the spider boss. Holy shit was the fight I had with him epic! On Nightmare you pretty much HAVE to master the perfect flash guard. I think this is my favorite PSP game of all time, let alone one of my favorite games of all time! This game is unbelievably balanced. The perfect guard feels as slick as doing the counter guard in Bayonetta!

I am 6 hours in on Nightmare at LV10 and I have 3 bosses down. It feels soooo good. I would suggest starting over on Nightmare for those who are finding the game maybe a bit too easy. This difficulty brings out the best aspects of the combat system and it makes boss battles feel incredibly rewarding.

Just beat the Fire Temple and this game keeps getting better and better. This is the best ARPG I have played since... well Ys Origin. Soundtrack is pretty amazing too, though it seems that it is actively trying to emulate old tracks sometimes. Anyone else getting an Ys IV vibe from the tunes?

I also have to say that the quest system is great. This is how to do side quests in a JRPG, its not essential, but it rewards you for playing normally and has you keeping an eye out for items and monsters while on the main path. Something tells me I'm going to be re-installing OiF once I finish with this one.

I very much hope this game does well enough to be worth it for XSEED. Especially now that Falcom has dropped PC development.

Ricker

So the EBGames where I pre-ordered was giving me the runaround,delayed till the 30th of August,bla bla,bla so I transfered my 5 bucks on my existing Valkyria 2 pre-order and told him I would download this from PSN,since I`m not getting the LE... he must of been pissed a bit but hey,i`m still a good customer hehe...i`ll start this tonight =)

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Picked this up the other day, had a chat with the GS clerk about how to pronounce the game... he was like "is it pronounced WISE or Y-S?"... so I told him the correct pronunciation and spelling (i.e. no apostrophe) and told him he should get a copy. Haven't played myself, since I am away on business travel and don't have my PSP with me.

Lain

My game shipped from VG+! Now I'll have to try and ignore this thread to not make the wait even more frustrating that it'd be already.

Vamphuntr

I made it to the first dungeon and I loved what I played :D . Played a bit of PSP 2 demo but bad luck struck me. My psp screen died :(. It's giving all sort of visual glitch permanently and psp is no longer under warranty. Will get another one soon. Hope they goes on sale.

Got my order from Amazon earlier, and I am really enjoying it so far after about an hour and a half of play. This is my first Ys game, and the battle system is a real nice change of pace from the turn-based RPGs I have been playing lately. I pre-ordered the next Ys PSP game coming out since it was in my Amazon gold box today. So many good PSP games are coming out between now and the end of the year. Gonna be hard to decide what to buy day one, and what games to wait for price drops.

zoku88

Great, popped the game in and found out that my drive no longer works. Ugh, I should have gotten the digital version.

Top Bottom