• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys 7 - US Release August 17th - $29.99 retail and PSN |OT|

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Shut up Mejilan! You're making the wait for my copy that much harder T_T

Davedough

I find it hilarious that I was given review code for this from XSEED and cant download it yet because of the PSN refresh, yet people that had the disk shipped to them are already playing it.

Ricker

Mejilan said:
*points and laughs*
*resumes farming "monster fluids" for no known reason*

Go play one of your backlog game :lol ;) seriously,my EBGames didn`t call me yet so I guess it`s going to be Thursday,probably one of those non bilingual PSP games so it takes a few extra days to come up here...

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Ricker said:
Go play one of your backlog game :lol ;) seriously,my EBGames didn`t call me yet so I guess it`s going to be Thursday,probably one of those non bilingual PSP games so it takes a few extra days to come up here...

And relegate Ys to my backlog?! Not on your life!

Mejilan

Combat feels so good.
I'm a bit down about the removed jump and what that'll probably mean for platforming, but the combat does actually feel like an evolution over the Ys VI style.

Aeana

I got over the lack of jump eventually.
Make sure to try out flash guarding, Mejilan. Hold R and press L right when an enemy attack is about to land.

neoism

Playing my PSP for the last 3 weeks has been awesome...
Guys I'm willing to upgrade my PSP. I have a 2000 model, and was wondering is the 3000, better or worse than the GO. Take it I love the way the original PSPs are designed.. So, I'm still not sold on a GO. Is the screen beautiful on the 3000??????
Can't wait for this.... gettin the PSN version.. :)

Mejilan

I'm playing off memory stick, and there's no real loading to speak of. I hear that the UMD is very well optimized too. Graphics are... pretty bad. The dithering (I think that's what it is), is atrocious. The framerate seems to be locked at a steady 30. Background draw distance is alright, but baddies and grass pop in only when you get pretty damn close to them. The graphics and overall performance are leaps beyond the bungled PSP port of Ys VI.

I'll definitely try out the flash guarding.

discoalucard

i am a butthurt babby that can only drool in wonder at shiney objects
Mejilan said:
Combat feels so good.
I'm a bit down about the removed jump and what that'll probably mean for platforming, but the combat does actually feel like an evolution over the Ys VI style.

The dashing makes the boss battles even more awesome than they already were. It's really worth it for removing some of the iffy platforming stuff from VI/Felghana/Origin.

It's also fun to roll more or less everywhere.

Aeana

I really enjoyed the platforming in Oath in Felghana. Origin also has some good platforming parts.

I definitely missed it in 7, but the way 7 is set up works fine too.

Edgeward

neoism said:
Guys I'm willing to upgrade my PSP. I have a 2000 model, and was wondering is the 3000, better or worse than the GO. Take it I love the way the original PSPs are designed.. So, I'm still not sold on a GO. Is the screen beautiful on the 3000??????

I use the 3000 and really enjoy it. The buttons and d-pad and definitely a huge upgrade over the original design, the nub is slightly raised, weighs less, better brightness settings and the screen looks much better.

Scanlines aren't a big issue but can be present in some games, it's not at all near as terrible as it was made out to be initially and doesn't bother me in the slightest. It does collect fingerprints like no other though, as now the back also has that glossy finish.

Can't comment on the 2000, but I'm satisfied with my 3000.

I just thought of something, will the PSN version require me to update my firmware? I was gonna try out that Half-Byte Loader so I'm not sure I want that version if it requires a firmware upgrade.

Mejilan

discoalucard said:
The dashing makes the boss battles even more awesome than they already were. It's really worth it for removing some of the iffy platforming stuff from VI/Felghana/Origin.

It's also fun to roll more or less everywhere.

Oath's platforming was fantastic.
VI's could be a bit rough at times, but it was still quite good.

I'm not as comfortable as you with the trade-off, certainly.

neoism said:
I love my GO, it's definitely better than the 3000 - screen is better, analogue nub feels a LOT better, the device when folded is *very* portable, battery life is a lot better, and the system is a lot lighter. The downside is, no UMD support, you are stuck with whatever's on PSN. So it's a tradeoff. For example, the Limited Edition of Ys Seven...useless for PSPGo.

Edgeward

Shalashaska161 said:
I just thought of something, will the PSN version require me to update my firmware? I was gonna try out that Half-Byte Loader so I'm not sure I want that version if it requires a firmware upgrade.

Well, you do have to use the current firmware to use PSN store, I believe.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Gyoru said:
My copy just arrived :D

Streaming Adol's adventures.
http://www.justin.tv/gyoruspy

How did I only realize now that you post on both SA and GAF?

neoism said:

Oh god, if you have a 2000, don't get a 3000. The screen is worse.

demonkaze

What was that website that was a good place to get PSN points from again? I forgot to bookmark it last time i used the US PSN store.

Teknoman

I dunno about the graphics being pretty bad. Looks like a nice average PS2 quality ARPG environment wise. Yeah theres dithering, but as far as the graphic quality and art style goes, its really good.

Aeana

I personally think the game looks pretty decent in action. Stills aren't very flattering, though.
It's not the best-looking game or anything, but it is very colorful and the animations are pretty good.

Mejilan

I'm not usually one to complain about dithering or other artifacts.
But they pop out of the screen and physically stab my eyes.
There's definitely nothing PS2 quality about the graphics in this game.
From the textures to the image quality to the geometry to the draw distance; it's sub-PS2 in every possible sense. Not that I expect PS2 quality out of my PSP, but there are certainly older games that got much closer. It is pretty colorful, and the performance is excellent.

Hahahaha, they snuck in an Aerith/Aeris gag.

fushi

Ys-GAF, a request: does anyone have an mp3 of the item pickup sound that can be heard in the PCE Ys games (and maybe others)? I've done some googling, but haven't located it.

Enk

makes good threads.
I can already tell that I'm going to like this more than VI. An already enjoyable combat system is made much more fun with the loot drops. Also that cloth map is huge, and quite shiny!

Enk

makes good threads.
Just noticed that if you hold down the O button it fast forwards through the cutscenes.

Tucah

you speak so well
I have finals/a ton of work to do this week so I won't get to touch this until next week at the earliest.

I'm so jealous of you all :(

kiryogi

Banned
Well I've heard the soundtrack before by itself Felt like it's one of Falcom's weakest soundtracks. It still echos in game, but works a bit better ingame. Doesn't really say kickass like most other Falcom scores.

Aeana

kiryogi said:
Well I've heard the soundtrack before by itself Felt like it's one of Falcom's weakest soundtracks. It still echos in game, but works a bit better ingame. Doesn't really say kickass like most other Falcom scores.
Eh. I think Ys 5, Zwei, Zwei 2 and Gurumin all have weaker soundtracks at the very least. Ys 7's is very Sora-no-Kiseki-esque (which also have fairly weak soundtracks with some stand-out tracks). Really, Ys 7's is fine, just not so great in comparison to the greats Falcom has released in the past.

Nekobo

Alright, I picked up the LE today based on all the positive vibes from this thread. :) I've been hankering for an old school fantasy RPG and it seems like XSeed could use the support, so I took the plunge. Hopefully this game won't look like shit when I output it to my TV.

This will be my first Ys game, so any help tips to help ease (sorry) a newbie into this series? Also, is the DS version worth picking up, too?

Gah, game is freezing on the opening shot of the boat, whether via UMD or my rip. Anyone else know of this problem? I'm running M33-6 with Prometheus. Strange as hell.

Edit: Same with my roomate's PSP, the UMD loads up, but freezes at the boat, and the rip, loads to title screen, starts fine, gets to the boat, then freezes.

Top Bottom