• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys 7 - US Release August 17th - $29.99 retail and PSN |OT|

Aeana

It works fine on 5.50 GEN-D3 with the Prometheus addon.

Nekobo said:
This will be my first Ys game, so any help tips to help ease (sorry) a newbie into this series? Also, is the DS version worth picking up, too?
Only tip I can think of is that if you're having trouble, just gaining a single level always helps tons. And NO to the DS game.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Out to get this tomorrow. Pretty excited but I'm in the middle of playing Arc Rise Fantasia and the FF5 challenge. Good RPG gaming though.

What kind of time will it take to beat this? And I assume it has some extended replay value?

matmanx1

Ok I feel pretty silly but I really can't figure out what I'm supposed to do when I get off the boat. I'm tired so it's entirely possibly that I missed talking to someone but it seems like I've been in every building and conversed with every person twice and still don't know what I'm supposed to be doing. I bought the flower from the girl, walked around the city and confirmed that I can't go in the castle, can't exit the city gates and can't go in the old waterway.

Now what?

Aeana

As for general tips for this game, I cannot stress flash guarding enough. I'm not sure if the game ever even tells you how to do it, but it is the key to SP management. Hold R and press L just before an enemy attack lands, and you will incur no damage, gain a ton of SP, and your next attack will be a critical. Too good.

LiquidMetal14 said:
Out to get this tomorrow. Pretty excited but I'm in the middle of playing Arc Rise Fantasia and the FF5 challenge. Good RPG gaming though.

What kind of time will it take to beat this? And I assume it has some extended replay value?
Japanese version took me 24 hours.

Aeana

matmanx1 said:
Ok I feel pretty silly but I really can't figure out what I'm supposed to do when I get off the boat. I'm tired so it's entirely possibly that I missed talking to someone but it seems like I've been in every building and conversed with every person twice and still don't know what I'm supposed to be doing. I bought the flower from the girl, walked around the city and confirmed that I can't go in the castle, can't exit the city gates and can't go in the old waterway.

Now what?
I don't know if any of these events are required, but talk to the blue-haired girl in the town square, try leaving the city, and then go back toward the town square. That's what I did, and it worked fine.

Enk

makes good threads.
Really wish I was playing this on my PC through my tv. Did they ever confirm if there was going to be a PC release at some point?

Also, enemy carcass slashing FTW!

Varion

Enk said:
Really wish I was playing this on my PC through my tv. Did they ever confirm if there was going to be a PC release at some point?
Falcom has no current intention to develop anything else for the PC. They'd love to, but the financial and business reality is that they can't. So no.

matmanx1

Aeana said:
I don't know if any of these events are required, but talk to the blue-haired girl in the town square, try leaving the city, and then go back toward the town square. That's what I did, and it worked fine.

Thanks that did it. I guess I hadn't done something in the right order but it's fixed now! Off to the Shrine!

Volcynika

They posted a note to the Canucks up north.

Hopefully Ys SEVEN has started arriving at your local stores (or mailbox) by now, but if not then stay patient as they are on their way. That goes double for our friends up north in Canada - this is our first title in a completely revamped Canadian distribution system so your copies may not start becoming available until this weekend. Sorry for the inconvenience, we're working to improve on it in the future.

Which is a shame, weren't they basically the last non-H game PC developer in Japan? But it makes sense, I remember how tiny the PC sections of most software stores were in Japan. Still, their PC games were definitely tops.

Enk said:

Also, enemy carcass slashing FTW!
You could get a PSPGo and play it with TV Out, using a PS3 controller to control it wirelessly :)

Grimmy

Banned
Volcynika said:
They posted a note to the Canucks up north.

No wonder my copy still hasn't arrived :( :(
Argh the wait is awful...luckily I'm still not done with P3P so will keep on playing that to tide things over

Teknoman

Wait... normal blocking is done by holding L+R? I guess its obvious after reading the manual and seeing the flash guard technique (Hold for block, tap for perfect block), but im betting alot of people who never read manuals/download the game wont figure that out.

That is, unless they have some small tutorial for it later on. Just beat up that
Giant Boar

Anyone else playing on Nightmare difficulty? I played through AoN on Nightmare and it was pretty manageable so I'd figured I would give it a shot in this game. I beat the first boss and I am on the way to Shannoa Forest. The game is incredible! It is sooooo freaking fast paced! The way enemies burst into items and money is so addicting and I love the way your allies help you gather materials. I didn't know what to think of playing with more than one character, but they do it so well in this game! There are also so many skills to unlock per character and equipment to forge, which I did not expect.

And the soundtrack...forget about it. Just open your windows and blast your volume when you walk out onto the first plains and you will instantly wake up :lol . Y's games are the ultimate "feel good games".

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
It's a pretty amazing game so far, but unless I missed something I have no clue how to kill the 4000 HP boss in the shrine cave right outside of town. And I didn't save yet so I'm stuck in a loop of 'kill this or play the whole intro over again'.

Teknoman

mattiewheels said:
It's a pretty amazing game so far, but unless I missed something I have no clue how to kill the 4000 HP boss in the shrine cave right outside of town. And I didn't save yet so I'm stuck in a loop of 'kill this or play the whole intro over again'.

Beat up on it until you get a cutscene (watch for patterns) and then the game will tell you how to deliver the final blow.

Solune

Stage On said:
Darn it Canada isn't getting physical copies until Augest 31 talk about bogus

Yah I just went to EBgames today said it was the 31st. Also checked Amazon and such and they also have it listed as the 31st. Funny thing is VG+ has it still listed as the 17th. Anyone here order from VG+ and have an update on their order?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Teknoman said:
Beat up on it until you get a cutscene (watch for patterns) and then the game will tell you how to deliver the final blow.
Thanks, i finally did it!

There's something about this game that reminds me of Suikoden III (which is a very good thing), and for my first Ys game this has been really impressive so far. I just have no clue what to do after I beat the shrine boss and talked to the king :lol

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
mattiewheels said:
Thanks, i finally did it!

There's something about this game that reminds me of Suikoden III (which is a very good thing), and for my first Ys game this has been really impressive so far. I just have no clue what to do after I beat the shrine boss and talked to the king :lol

Have you tried talking to everyone? Modern JRPGs spoil people.

duckroll

I just picked this up. It better not suck!

Nice full color manual and reversible cover. I don't get why bigger publishers don't do this in the US. It really should be standard.

Solune said:
Yah I just went to EBgames today said it was the 31st. Also checked Amazon and such and they also have it listed as the 31st. Funny thing is VG+ has it still listed as the 17th. Anyone here order from VG+ and have an update on their order?

I've ordered it from VG+, but no update yet. I also don't see it listed as the 17th actually on their site. Just says: "This product was added to our catalog on Tuesday 29 June, 2010."

Edit: VG+ has shipped my order.

Segata Sanshiro said:
Also, it's Ys. One of the few correct answers to "Is there anything the Western gaming world gives less of a fuck about than Ryu ga Gotoku?"

i almost feel like an ass for loving both, but i also don't give a fuck about the western gaming world, so i guess that's fair.

anyway, not everybody got their copy yet and canada has stock problems? calm down people.

Salaadin

Loving this game so far. Just beat the second boss. I love the different styles and powers. And the music. OMFG The music!!

suikodan

matmanx1 said:

Now what?

Aeana said:

Don't worry, I got the same thing yesterday when I started then I got to the town square and go a cutscene.

Salaadin

Mejilan said:
Welcome to Ys.
Also, wait until you hear Oath's and Ys 1's!

First Step Towards Wars is the greatest overworld song ever right next to Zelda I think.
And dont even get me started on Felghanas soundtrack. The overworld theme right down to the final boss, everything was perfect about that games soundtrack.

CAVE343

This game is absolutely glorious! It's a perfect fit for the psp, it just looks great and plays even better.
I just beat the first boss, I was like 4000 HP?! Awesome stuff.

I was really waiting for such a great game like this to get me back into gaming. I think this one did it :)

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Salaadin said:
First Step Towards Wars is the greatest overworld song ever right next to Zelda I think.
And dont even get me started on Felghanas soundtrack. The overworld theme right down to the final boss, everything was perfect about that games soundtrack.
The best part of Ys 3 was always it's music.
With the Oath top-down remake, they turned a mediocre game into an awesome one, and an amazing soundtrack into a spectacular one. The Boy's Got Wings!

Mejilan

bad-joey said:
This game is absolutely glorious! It's a perfect fit for the psp, it just looks great and plays even better.
I just beat the first boss, I was like 4000 HP?! Awesome stuff.

I was really waiting for such a great game like this to get me back into gaming. I think this one did it :)
Ys games typically have incredible boss fights. Some even turn into surreal bullet hell ARPG encounters! Such great stuff!

robot

Is there a trick to that first boss or do I just need to grind a bit. I got him dizzy a few times but wasn't sure how. Game is awesome.

Salaadin

Mejilan said:
Ys games typically have incredible boss fights. Some even turn into surreal bullet hell ARPG encounters! Such great stuff!

Theyre insane. Seriously, Im not sure I breath at all during them. Breathing will only end up screwing with my timing.

Paznos said:
Never played a Ys game before and I'm debating between the LE and the standard edition. what should I do ??

Do you like cool art, awesome soundtracks, and maps made from cloth?

Mejilan

Paznos said:
:p

Yes,yes,YES!!!

Guess I know what to do :lol
Which ever way you go, you can't lose.
I'm partial to the LE, but staying on the fence will only rob you of a good time!

Top Bottom