• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Z.H.P. Unlosing Ranger vs Darkdeath Evilman |OT| -- Lose Until You Win

Volcynika

Uyw0u.png

Summary

It was told that a magical baby would be born and save us all from evil. That prophecy has came true and the baby has been born, but wait! Demon General Darkdeath Evilman has kidnapped the baby! Someone must save us and make sure the prophecy is fulfilled! Stand down evil-doers, for the one and only UNLOSING RANGER is here and is ready to fight the evil Demon General! He rushes off to battle to save us all....only to be hit by a car and killed. With his last words, he gives his transforming belt to the only person there, the weakest person in the entire world...you. Now, you must make sure his death is not in vain and defeat Darkdeath Evilman with all your might...oh yeah...he's pretty tough. Fortunately, you can never truly lose, and with each death you get stronger and stronger...let us just hope that eventually you are strong enough to take the beast down! Just be prepared to die....a lot.

Quick Details

Genre: RPG/Roguelike
Platform: PSP (Available both via UMD and PSN)
Release Date: 10/26/2010 (NA)
Website: Official Z.H.P. Unlosing Ranger vs Darkdeath Evilman Website
Publisher: NIS America
Rating: T for Teen

ZvwXF.jpg

Features

*Highly customizable superhero (From head to toe)

*Build your own secret superhero base

*Randomly generated grid based battle maps

*Highly strategic battle system with numerous traps and puzzle effects

Images

yXJ5D.png
hCnxS.png

JDnWD.png
oP2LX.png

g8nn8.png
P81h0.png

Videos

Announcement Trailer for HYPE

Reviews

Digital Chumps: 7.6/10

GhaleonQ

Absolute Hero Modding Project, my most anticipated original U.S.-release of the year is here!

http://www.youtube.com/user/mimioverlordz#g/u (4/5 down or search "Zettai") It has 1 of my favorite soundtracks of this year. It apes tokusatsu and 1970s anime soundtracks in the same way Half-Minute Hero 1 aped JRPG butt-rock. It's rather great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzrIxqSczPU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWoYS3uPAnU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7spSy15OVBk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VS3JullG_JA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMn5dy-pbYk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wn2nn-7zo3E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dV1Oe5qUK3s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g50Km_CkI-Y
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4oStidgklQ

Looking forward to some impressions. On the one hand, I love the look of this and am a huge fan of the Tokusatsu shows that have inspired it. On the other, this looks similar to the Disgaea series, which I've never gotten into, plus I can't afford it right now as my recent PSP RPG money went on Oath in Felghana.

Yep, just waiting for shipment. Unless Cladun gets a disc release, I reckon this might well be my last PSP game unless something pops up and over that's takes me by complete surprise.

depward

Wait a sec - I was writing this off due to it LOOKING like an SRPG. Then, in Siliconera's write-up, they call it a roguelike... which is a genre that I like.

Which one is it?!

depward said:
Wait a sec - I was writing this off due to it LOOKING like an SRPG. Then, in Siliconera's write-up, they call it a roguelike... which is a genre that I like.

Which one is it?!

Roguelike.

Volcynika

ElectricThunder said:
Yep, just waiting for shipment. Unless Cladun gets a disc release, I reckon this might well be my last PSP game unless something pops up and over that's takes me by complete surprise.

Not getting Oath in Felghana? :(

Acosta

Finally! There is a bunch of stuff I'm interested on PSP, but this is top, will get as soon as it's released.

soo is this game not like Disgaea because that is easily my favorite psp game and I was hoping to get something more like it

GhaleonQ

ohhthegore said:
soo is this game not like Disgaea because that is easily my favorite psp game and I was hoping to get something more like it

No, they want this to be their other tentpole. Disgaea is their high-selling strategy RPG, and they want this to be their high-selling "other" title.

The sense of humor is supposed to be the same, though.

Volcynika

ohhthegore said:

It is not a strategy RPG, it is more of a roguelike. Though it does have tons of grinding, much like Disgaea.

depward

After seeing this thread and viewing some additional material (videos, couple of reviews), I think I'm sold on it.

This is weird. I've never purchased a NIS game before Cladun. But now after purchasing this next week, that'll be two NIS games in a relatively short amount of time :D

Volcynika said:
It is not a strategy RPG, it is more of a roguelike. Though it does have tons of grinding, much like Disgaea.

hmm never played a rougelike game so I'm not sure if I'll enjoy it, I guess I'll have to wait and see

GhaleonQ

You 2 above me: the general consensus is that Cladun has the tighter and more innovative gameplay/dungeon structure while this is more streamlined, overtly charming, and aesthetic focused. In other words, it shouldn't be a problem.

Hela

I thought it was about polish boy scouts as ZHP is Poland's equivalent of the BSA, now I'm disappointed.

larvi

Sounds interesting, moved it to the top of my gamefly queue, says it releases on the 28th there. I have some gamefly bux to spend so will keep it if I like it.

Volcynika said:
Not getting Oath in Felghana? :(

Doubtful, but I guess that one might be in the maybe category.

If anything jumps out to me lately, it is replay value and varied ways of going about things even lacking the former---Y's games, while generally cool looking/great music, tend to just not jump out all the way.

I wonder what they ultimately did with the various Manga cameos for the US release?...

ohhthegore said:
Of course it's like Disgaea - it's got all the grinding and tinkering and randomly generated everything you could ever want. The fact that combat isn't a turn based tactical grid format is a minor detail.

n3ss

aka acr0nym
mjemirzian said:
Of course it's like Disgaea - it's got all the grinding and tinkering and randomly generated everything you could ever want. The fact that combat isn't a turn based tactical grid format is a minor detail.

Still grid format; really, think faster paced Disgaea.

Volcynika

Gonna update the thread with new reviews this evening. Amazon says I won't even have my copy until the 29th which kinda sucks, but I'll have it this week at least! Did the NISA store end up shipping them early?

depward

I would definitely like to see some more reviews. The most recent one at this moment from PSX Extreme kept on calling it an SRPG, which doesn't seem to be at all what it is. That being said, if the reviewer was playing through it and was thinking that, then I may have to pass, seeing as how I absolutely do not like SRPGs (though I do like roguelikes).

depward

This is weird:

"If your PSP gets accidentally turned off in a battle, the game will know ala Animal Crossing and you will lose all your items and money. There is no quick save, there is no “Mr. Gency’s Exit” equivalent, there is no anything to let you leave a dungeon save for beating it or running into a caravan. Now if this was a console game, I’d be fine with that. However Z.H.P. is a PORTABLE game that punishes you for playing the game in a PORTABLE setting. On the subway and you reach your stop? Too bad. You can’t turn the system off, so it’s good bye everything. Are you on a mid-Atlantic flight and your PSP’s battery is about to go dead? Too bad. You lose everything. Did your pet rub against the PSP and accidentally turn it off? Again, too bad. Any portable game without a quicksave or that doesn’t let you take advantage of the PSP’s “hold” feature is one with a large design flaw."​

From this review

Does this reviewer not know the difference between sleep mode and off? Or does he mean exiting a map? Not entirely sure...

depward said:
This is weird:

"If your PSP gets accidentally turned off in a battle, the game will know ala Animal Crossing and you will lose all your items and money. There is no quick save, there is no “Mr. Gency’s Exit” equivalent, there is no anything to let you leave a dungeon save for beating it or running into a caravan. Now if this was a console game, I’d be fine with that. However Z.H.P. is a PORTABLE game that punishes you for playing the game in a PORTABLE setting. On the subway and you reach your stop? Too bad. You can’t turn the system off, so it’s good bye everything. Are you on a mid-Atlantic flight and your PSP’s battery is about to go dead? Too bad. You lose everything. Did your pet rub against the PSP and accidentally turn it off? Again, too bad. Any portable game without a quicksave or that doesn’t let you take advantage of the PSP’s “hold” feature is one with a large design flaw."​

From this review

Does this reviewer not know the difference between sleep mode and off? Or does he mean exiting a map? Not entirely sure...

holy crap that would suck if it turns out to be true

Volcynika said:
Gonna update the thread with new reviews this evening. Amazon says I won't even have my copy until the 29th which kinda sucks, but I'll have it this week at least! Did the NISA store end up shipping them early?

Nope. My order is still listed as "Pending Fulfillment".

Kuran

Banned
NIS shitty naming conventions just push me away, game looks interesting though... but their art and story are always so doujinshi

Takao

Banned
depward said:
This is weird:

From this review

One of the few times PSPgo superior? Hello Pause State.

Deeku

Mejilan said:
Ready preordered. Would be nice to get ClaDun on UMD. Heck, on this UMD, even.
Yeah, only reason I don't have ClaDun.

Hope PA ships this soon. Really looking forward to trying it.

n3ss

aka acr0nym
ohhthegore said:
not being able to use the PSP sleep mode is awesome?, you've gone bat shit crazy man!! :D

Probably! However, I do remember reading that there is an escape from dungeons. Some of them are as long as 50 floors, but you have to pay for it...

n3ss

aka acr0nym
Via NIS Twitter "Sorry for the wait! Z.H.P.: Unlosing Ranger VS. Darkdeath Evilman will be up on PSN at 5pm (Pacific Time) today!"

Anyone start downloading it yet?

Top Bottom