• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zen5 Review Thread.

PeteBull

Gold Member
Crazy as it sounds,im really starting to wondering is it worth it to upgrade from my I5 12400f to 9800x3d when it comes out?
Wait for independend reviews, i got 8700k and want whole new rig so im exactly in ur situation, even our cpu's perf is very similar lool, and im waiting for next year so 5090+ hopefully if its any good 9800x3d but we will only know after reviews(amd is their own graph kings so cant be trusted there, obviously cant trust intel either ;p).

PeteBull

Gold Member
Is there even a reason people need a new CPU? I'm still rocking a i7 6700k and haven't ran into a problem with anything yet.
8700k and i got handful of games i cant play in stable 60fps anymore coz of cpu bottleneck, ur 6700k is much(roughly 30%) slower so i bet if u wanna have 60fps stable there is like 50+ games u cant play anymore, maybe even 100+ games, so depending on if/when u wanna play those cpu heavy games, thats the time for cpu upgrade for u.

Last edited:

Leonidas

AMD's Dogma: ARyzen (No Intel inside)
Unrelated towards zen 5, but for the upcoming chips probably relevant still.

U might want to check this out could give you almost double the fps.

It is related to Zen5. 3 minutes into GN review he says the 9900X/9950X require the same steps so that the CPU performs as it should...

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
Just curious if anyone here is planning to upgrade to Zen 5 and not wait for X3D?
If so, just curious what you use your PC for.

PeteBull

Gold Member
Just curious if anyone here is planning to upgrade to Zen 5 and not wait for X3D?
If so, just curious what you use your PC for.
On 8700k +3080ti, i will upgrade next year but either for x3d model or intel if its any good(both gaming perf and power efficiency is a must for me, so current bis worth getting is 7800x3d), price isnt as important, as long as cpu trully dominates i will fork up 600$ no probs.

MikeM

Gold Member
So, IOW, this chip is garbo outside of data center and AI. Hopefully, the 3d chip can provide a decent upgrade over my 7700x.
Alicia Silverstone Reaction GIF

Given there is no meaningful gains in gaming, highly doubt it. I’m going to wait for the 9800x3d to come out in case they unexpectedly add more cache than the 7800x3d.

winjer

Gold Member
9950X look good for productive task!

There are gains with the 9950X of 30% in several workloads for AI, servers and workstations. And lower power usage.
We, the gamers, might be very disappointed. But you can be sure that the people in the enterprise world are very eager to get their hands on these chips.
Especially when Intel CPUs in these same workspaces are failing at huge rates.

OverHeat

« generous god »
There are gains with the 9950X of 30% in several workloads for AI, servers and workstations. And lower power usage.
We, the gamers, might be very disappointed. But you can be sure that the people in the enterprise world are very eager to get their hands on these chips.
If those gains transfers to gaming with the x3D variant I’m definitely upgrading

winjer

Gold Member
If those gains transfers to gaming with the x3D variant I’m definitely upgrading

Considering you have a 7950X3D, I doubt that the 9950X3D will be worth upgrading. At least not for gaming alone.
The 7800X3D gains 20% over the 7700X. So I expect that the gains in the 9000 series should be similar, between the non-X3D and the X3D parts.

The only doubt is that the 9000 series has a 50% wider FP unit. And there are indications that the memory bandwidth and latency might be bottlenecking the 9000 series in some workloads.
So that extra cache might "unleash" this new pipeline, in some tasks.

Average-p.webp

scydrex

As i watch more videos and reviews of Zen 5. I'm more convinced that AMD should have named these series Zen 4+ aimed for enterprise, server and that kind of stuff. Better performance there and better efficiency. For me Zen 5 should have been better in that area and also in gaming. Not only in productivity.

marquimvfs

What do you mean we?
We, excluding you.
And yet, Intel idle power is still lower...
Idle power have nothing to do with efficiency. Efficiency (how we name energy efficiency here) is the amout of power needed to complete a specific task in a given time. If your pc is more "efficient" at doing nothing, good for you. If your pc stays on for most of the day without doing nothing at all, you will consume less power than an AMD counterpart (just until you start doing something).
Zen, for a long time, is using half or even much less power to complete the same task at a comparable time frame, your lower idle consumption is another thing apart.

Oh, here it is, Intel achieved a new mark: The more efficient CPU at doing nothing.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
We, excluding you.

Idle power have nothing to do with efficiency. Efficiency (how we name energy efficiency here) is the amout of power needed to complete a specific task in a given time. If your pc is more "efficient" at doing nothing, good for you. Zen, for a long time, is using less than half or even less power to complete the same task at a comparable time frame, your lower idle consumption is another thing apart.

Oh, here it is, Intel achieved a new mark: The more efficient CPU at doing nothing.

We also have to consider that when a PC goes idle, Windows will put it to sleep after a few minutes.
So a PC will never be idle for long periods of time.

marquimvfs

We also have to consider that when a PC goes idle, Windows will put it to sleep after a few minutes.
So a PC will never be idle for long periods of time.
Depends, I remove all os this crap myself, I don't like long wake times. Not even my monitor turns off in my work PC.

DryvBy

8700k and i got handful of games i cant play in stable 60fps anymore coz of cpu bottleneck, ur 6700k is much(roughly 30%) slower so i bet if u wanna have 60fps stable there is like 50+ games u cant play anymore, maybe even 100+ games, so depending on if/when u wanna play those cpu heavy games, thats the time for cpu upgrade for u.
Which games?

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Off to a slow start in the german store famous for being selling a shitload of AMD

At this point though, assuredly a lot of peoples are now just waiting x3D any time AMD announces a new series right?

Also this mystery of the core-core latencies being 2.5x higher than 7950x from Ryan Smith @ Anandtech.

marquimvfs

Bailout.gif
I've seen this too, that's why it's time for a CCD with more cores. Or another thing that's better to conect this cores instead of we have as interposer. It's as "bad" as Intel multisocket. Nod bad, per see, but way worse that what are we already used to. I hope that they are able to solve this with a new microcode or, even better, at driver level. I'm also curious to see what's the cause of this.

Last edited:

Leonidas

If your pc is more "efficient" at doing nothing, good for you. If your pc stays on for most of the day without doing nothing at all, you will consume less power than an AMD counterpart (just until you start doing something).
Web browsing isn't nothing. My CPU averages about 9 watts when browsing the web (similar average for me when idling), its something I do quite often, and I'd probably be using more power using Zen4/Zen5.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
Web browsing isn't nothing. My CPU averages about 9 watts when browsing the web (similar average for me when idling), its something I do quite often, and I'd probably be using more power using Zen4/Zen5.

Post a screenshot of HWInfo so we can see the package power of your CPU at idle.

marquimvfs

Amazing how a 2-node disadvantage still produces an efficiency gain in one of the most widely used use cases for PC :messenger_sun:
Amazing how Intel managed to make processors whole systems that consume less at doing just light things than it's counterpart. It is really remarkable. Too bad that the processors energy efficiency is botched at doing anything significant, performance wise. But hey, AMD have problems with efficiency in its new gen, so let's not derail the thread with your crazy efficient at doing nothing undervolted, maximized, extremely tuned, not boxed cooler processor.

StereoVsn

Isn't it mainly AVX512 workloads that are showing big difference? Other workloads are doing jack shit and I am not talking gaming.

PeteBull

Gold Member
Which games?
Any newish cpu heavy ones, usually open world, watch dogs 2 and 3, cp2077, rdr2, horizon:zd and its sequel, dragons dogma2, starfield, just few examples but im sure there are many more, like for example newer AC's, hell im positive even elden ring and its dlc doesnt hold 60 on 6700k, it holds it on my 8700k no probs tho, baldurs gate 3 tho..., i dont even start it till i upgrade cpu, it destroys cpu in the city area ;)

Edit:
here quick and dirty example, 6700k with 3070ti running(?:p) cp2077

fps drops below 20 and whats even worse nasty stutter all over the place

Last edited:

Leonidas

Amazing how Intel managed to make processors whole systems that consume less at doing just light things than it's counterpart. It is really remarkable.
Indeed it is.

Too bad that the processors energy efficiency is botched at doing anything significant, performance wise.
That's only true if you chose a high/TDP processor and/or use a bad BIOS which pushes power way too far. My current BIOS actually uses ~40 watts less (full MT load) than what you see in reviews, so I ended up overclocking a bit, and I'm well within safe voltages.

You really have a good CPU. Nice temps, voltages and power. Might really be a golden sample.
Did you ever try overclocking or undervolting to see just how good it is.
I think its just a good BIOS, and proper BIOS tuning.

Yes I have, though I'm not going to push it past a certain point these days, I have run it overclocked 95% of the time.

Under the current BIOS I can't get much of an undervolt unless I also under-clock (maybe -15mv at stock clocks), but thats because the current BIOS uses a lot less voltage than it use too. It undervolted great on a bad BIOS that ran high stock voltage. And I've seen some BIOS that were even worse than the one that launched ~2 years ago.

Last edited:

DryvBy

Any newish cpu heavy ones, usually open world, watch dogs 2 and 3, cp2077, rdr2, horizon:zd and its sequel, dragons dogma2, starfield, just few examples but im sure there are many more, like for example newer AC's, hell im positive even elden ring and its dlc doesnt hold 60 on 6700k, it holds it on my 8700k no probs tho, baldurs gate 3 tho..., i dont even start it till i upgrade cpu, it destroys cpu in the city area ;)

Edit:
here quick and dirty example, 6700k with 3070ti running(?:p) cp2077

fps drops below 20 and whats even worse nasty stutter all over the place

I'll try Red Dead in just a bit then report back. I still have a 1080 because I'm cheap lol

winjer

Gold Member
I think its just a good BIOS.

Yes I have, though I'm not going to push it past a certain point these days, I have run it overclocked 95% of the time.

Under the current BIOS I can't get much of an undervolt unless I also under-clock (maybe -15mv at stock clocks), but thats because the current BIOS uses a lot less voltage than it use too. It undervolted great on a bad BIOS that ran high stock voltage. And I've seen some BIOS that were even worse than the one that launched ~2 years ago.

Could be that your bios has a profile that already does some undervolting.
That could explain why you cant go any lower.

Leonidas

Could be that your bios has a profile that already does some undervolting.
That could explain why you cant go any lower.
No, I can load up 4 different BIOSes and get 4 different power results at factory default settings.

Top Bottom