• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zen5 Review Thread.

Leonidas

AMD's Dogma: ARyzen (No Intel inside)
Don't forget how people were criticising AMD for setting excessive power and thermal limits at the zen 4 launch.

There were a bunch of reviewers going over how dropping power and heat resulted in very minimal performance losses.
The same is true of Raptor Lake.

DaGwaphics

Linus results are way higher vs other reviewers but he is using low settings in most games (he also is a shill for every company that pays well so...).

Everybody used to use low settings. I can see where it could be trickier today since some of the high and ultra modes include ray tracing and other features that increase CPU usage.

marquimvfs

I found it sus that nobody was comparing these chips to their 65W equivalent chips from the previous generation.

What I find most ergious is that they just renamed their X parts to non X. Upped the prices and even removed the coolers, providing even less value. As per Daniel Owen's analysis of the 9600/9700X. So reviewers are conflating efficiency over names and not respective parts.

Wouldn't be suprised if they released the XT 105W+ SKU's sooner rather than later. Man.. its like they've took their GPU handbook or Nvidia's marketing and went fuck it, lol.
Imagine if non X parts come with 45 or even 30W tdp, that would be great.

winjer

Gold Member
Don't forget how people were criticising AMD for setting excessive power and thermal limits at the zen 4 launch.

There were a bunch of reviewers going over how dropping power and heat resulted in very minimal performance losses.

Yes, that is true.
And when using Curve Optimizer, it would lower power usage and increase performance.

Hohenheim

I'm currently on a i9 12900k on a 3090 rig. Will upgrade to a new 5090 rig next year, and was hoping for the new Zen 5 to be the obvious cpu choice.

Do you cpu experts here believe the upcoming top x3d version will be a significant upgrade from my 12900k?

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
This might just be the best explanation of why Zen5 is the way it is.
TLDR, Zen5 was not made for regular consumers and gamers, it was made for servers, AI and professional applications, where it's performance increased by very big margins, while reducing power usage.

SolidQ

Sone info from above
9700X SMT disabled performance uplift @1080p:

Baldur's Gate 3 +6.78%

Remnant II +6.67%

Spiderman Remastered +17.17% and RT +15.82%

9700X SMT disabled performance uplift @1440p:

Baldur's Gate 3 +6.69%

Spiderman Remastered +17.22% and RT +18.73%

9700X SMT disabled performance uplift @ 2160p:

Baldur's Gate 3 +7.23%

Spiderman Remastered +5.16% and RT +8.10% (!!!!)

AND

+11.61% CS 1080p minimum fps

+12.63% Remnant II 1080p minimum fps

+60.27% Spiderman Remastered 1080p minimum fps

+22.50% Last of Us 1080p minimum fps

+8.30% Baldur's Gate 3 2160p minimum fps

+31.91% Spiderman Remastered 2160p minimum fps

Maybe new BIOS gonna fix SMT perfomance.

Last edited:

Bojji

Everybody used to use low settings. I can see where it could be trickier today since some of the high and ultra modes include ray tracing and other features that increase CPU usage.

Low settings can be less CPU demanding. Games should be tested on ultra IMO with resolution low enough to avoid being GPU limited. Same is true for RT IMO, at some point CPU becomes the limit and many games are VERY CPU limited with RT.

Honestly for gaming we should always for the 3D variants. I'm curious about the 9800X3D tbh, even though I have the 7800X3D

I did the jump from the 5800X3D to the 7800X3D and got some good improvement in World of Warcraft

Soodanim

This thread: people who for some reason upgrade their CPU every gen surprised that a non-X3D variant in a release cycle focused more on efficiency isn't wiping the floor with the X3D variant they already have in games.

This might just be the best explanation of why Zen5 is the way it is.
TLDR, Zen5 was not made for regular consumers and gamers, it was made for servers, AI and professional applications, where it's performance increased by very big margins, while reducing power usage.
this is why marketing and messaging is very important.

Loxus

Isn’t that node server only tho?
Nah, Zen5c are in laptops right now.

AMD Ryzen™ AI 9 HX 370
4x Zen 5 + 8x Zen 5c
16x RDNA3.5 CU
AniDZyF.jpeg

Loxus

Nice machine that. I don’t know they were using the zen 5c ..

I’m not liking all the comments about it running hot here despite running such low wattage..

Asus may have not provided enough cooling?

That laptop can get pretty hot when gaming.
Asus Zenbook S 16 review (2024 UM5606WA- AMD Ryzen AI 9 HX 370, Radeon 890M)
9WDFAzF.jpeg

Last edited:

marquimvfs

Interesting to see that now they're adding efficiency to their battery of thests. And, even Zen5 not being so good as we initially thought, it's still good, like, 4 times or even more efficient than Intel in some scenarios. Now, with those tests added to the future benchmarks, it will be Interesting to see if Intel's new gen will solve it's second biggest problem, the efficiency.

winjer

Gold Member

average-fps-1920-1080.png

relative-performance-cpu.png

power-applications.png

winjer

Gold Member

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Zen5 was not made for us, the gamers. We are third class citizens in this day and age.
All improvements were made for servers, workstations and AI.
And to be honest we didn't need more power in the CPU dept right now anyhow

I do look forward to seeing what they can do with these CPUs in the handheld and console spaces

winjer

Gold Member
And to be honest we didn't need more power in the CPU dept right now anyhow

I do look forward to seeing what they can do with these CPUs in the handheld and console spaces

I agree that, we gamers, are not aching for performance in the CPU space. Especially with the X3D parts.
But still, it would have been nice to get more than 3-5% performance improvements in games.
AMD put all their efforts into the enterprise sector.

Leonidas

Ah, yes, idling, the best use case for a computer.
My PC is idling / light usage over 1/2 the time it is in use. Meaning, my Raptor Lake CPU is more efficient than Zen4/Zen5 most of the time.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
My PC is idling over 1/2 the time it is in use. Meaning, my Raptor Lake CPU is more efficient than Zen4/Zen5 most of the time.

Saying that you idle your PC half the day, just to claim that Raptor Lake is more efficient that Zen4/5, is really dumb.
Normal people will actually use their PCs, even if it's for lighter workloads, like office work, watching videos, browsing the web, etc.

Then again, the Techpowerup results don't match the Guru3d results at idle.
Probably meaning they might not have enabled the usual power saving features.

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
Isn't Zen 4 -> Zen 5 basically just Intel 13th Gen -> 14th Gen?
aka basically the same thing but just a slight refresh?
aka overall disappointing

Leonidas

Saying that you idle your PC half the day, just to claim that Raptor Lake is more efficient that Zen4/5, is really dumb.
Normal people will actually use their PCs, even if it's for lighter workloads, like office work, watching videos, browsing the web, etc.
I consider light usage idling. Its too bad CPU reveiwers don't really do light usage tests, where CPU is barely using any power, like my PC right now as I type and post on NeoGAF for example...

Last edited:

DryvBy

Is there even a reason people need a new CPU? I'm still rocking a i7 6700k and haven't ran into a problem with anything yet.

winjer

Gold Member
Isn't Zen 4 -> Zen 5 basically just Intel 13th Gen -> 14th Gen?
aka basically the same thing but just a slight refresh?
aka overall disappointing

No. 13 and 14th gen are identical, except for clock speeds. They are the same architecture.
Zen5 is very different from Zen4, with a new dual 4-wide decoder, a new branch predictor, wider backend, etc.
The problem is that all these improvements benefit mostly workstations, AI and servers. Look at the Phoronix review, and you will se huge gains.
But these improvements do little for gaming.

winjer

Gold Member
I consider light usage idling. Its too bad CPU reveiwers don't really do light load tests, where CPU is barely using any power, like my PC right now as I type and post on NeoGAF for example...

What you consider is irrelevant. Idle and light workloads are different things, with different power usage.
Even something as simples as watching a youtube video can increase CPU power usage by 50%, over idle.
Or copying files, or browsing the web. Or using other lightweight applications.

Loxus

I consider light usage idling. Its too bad CPU reveiwers don't really do light usage tests, where CPU is barely using any power, like my PC right now as I type and post on NeoGAF for example...
How can light usage be idling???

If you're not using it for that long, why not just turn it off?

Leonidas

How can light usage be idling???

If you're not using it for that long, why not just turn it off?
Because my CPU literally downclocks (idling) and is using an average of 9 watts of power when I do light stuff like browing the web. When my CPU is dowclocked, I consider that idling.

It happens to me in some lighter games too as I don't let the FPS exceed my displays refresh rate.

In these types of games, Raptor Lake could also be more efficient than Zen4/Zen5.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
Because my CPU literally downclocks and is using an average of 9 watts of power when I do light stuff like browing the web. When my CPU is dowclocked, I consider that idling.

It happens to me in some lighter games too as I don't let the FPS exceed my displays refresh rate.

In these types of games, Raptor Lake could also be more efficient than Zen4/Zen5.

Idle means no work is being done.
And a modern CPU has several clock domains. FFS, even old CPUs used clock gating extensively.
If we are doing light workloads, it's normal for a CPU to throttle down several cores and just leave one or two doing work.
But that is not idle, that is light workloads. And it uses more power than idle.

Top Bottom