• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward |OT| -- More Hours, More Persons, More Doors

soultron

Banned
and no it doesn't show as a lock if you don't input them
I know I spoiled it for myself but I feel kind of justified in my behaviour since the game is usually great at locking the player from an ending (I'm waiting to see what's past Lock No. 3, for instance.) and even telling the player, "Hey, you don't have this information yet, try again when you have it," in the regular Escape sections. Why didn't the designers employ the same tactic here?

I wouldn't have spoiled a major section of the game for myself, had that been the case.

Jintor

If you back out of it it kicks you back to the main menu with a 'ending message' thing, so even if the flowchart doesn't show it it's obvious it's a lock.

I know I spoiled it for myself but I feel kind of justified in my behaviour since the game is usually great at locking the player from an ending (I'm waiting to see what's past Lock No. 3, for instance.) and even telling the player, "Hey, you don't have this information yet, try again when you have it," in the regular Escape sections. Why didn't the designers employ the same tactic here?

I wouldn't have spoiled a major section of the game for myself, had that been the case.

i arrived at this lock quite early when i played but given that i had no idea of where i could find this information i assumed that i didn't need to know yet..i went back to a previous choice in the flowchart it was so obvious for me ...

If you're playing the game and not just following a faq it's obvious.
I wasn't even aware of the locks

Peagles

No, just a bubble enclosure.

You don't happen to have a blue, do you? That is the one I am looking for. I was leaning towards eBaying it later, but if you want to PM me an offer I'll consider it. Looks like eBay prices are fluctuating around $40-$60 at the moment.

I have the blue and the green now, that's why I want the red. It's like Pokemon, I kinda want to catch them all... :p

soultron

Banned
If you back out of it it kicks you back to the main menu with a 'ending message' thing, so even if the flowchart doesn't show it it's obvious it's a lock.
So I should've just given up is what you're saying.

Ack. It's just frustrating because, again, the game is usually great in telling you you're not ready for something. I sat for like 30 minutes trying to deduce what I needed based on what was shown. I got frustrated after sitting through so much of the VN stuff before that point so I was a little ansy. So I Googled. :c

Jintor

So I should've just given up is what you're saying.

Well... yeah. This is a game with a flowchart system where you can jump to any checkpoint, what's the worst it's going to do? If you can't do it then, you can't do it then. It's not going to delete your save or anything.

I don't know. It's locked for a reason.

I liked both T and C's ending, and I got the impact even though I've not played 999. Luna's ending, even though I enjoyed it, felt like (do not read this unless you've got Luna's ending)
the authors of this game wanted to toss Isaac Asimov into the story at the last minute.
As for someone asking me how I got Luna's ending before getting K and Sigma's endings, I
used Google to get the password because I thought I was an idiot after seeing the memento mori flashbacks and not knowing what the password was... I got frustrated after trying password variants relating to memento mori, nineth lion, etc.
If I hadn't of done that, I'm guessing that event would've shown up as a Lock in the flowchart, right?

Been said a million times, but you really shouldn't be playing this without having played 999.

Rightmost path AB game.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK YOUUUUUUUUUU PHI

Edit: I am so confused lol

Every choice that I made in the AB games were mirrored in each path. Something is funny.

Hit Lock No.6

First death, interesting how that lock shows a character death. instead a to be continued

Time to take another door in the beggining.

soultron

Banned
Been said a million times, but you really shouldn't be playing this without having played 999.
I don't feel I'm at a huge disadvantage. The game is really good at explaining past connections (albeit in brief) via certain File entries.

Also, I doubt I'd have the patience for 999 since it sounds like there's no flowchart system in that game.

I'd love to play it someday, sure, but I'm having a good time with VLR even without experiencing 999 prior.

I don't feel I'm at a huge disadvantage. The game is really good at explaining past connections (albeit in brief) via certain File entries.

Also, I doubt I'd have the patience for 999 since it sounds like there's no flowchart system in that game.

I'd love to play it someday, sure, but I'm having a good time with VLR even without experiencing 999 prior.

The finale might be 1/20 as impactful without knowledge of 999. The connection is pretty damn important.

Also, you can forget about enjoying 999 to the fullest if you finish this first since it spoils every single major plot point.

LProtag

Finally playing this.

So uh, is it better if I see all the endings on the side of the flowchart that I'm on now, or is it cool to completely jump around?

Like, will I have to juggle more info in my head if I jump around and just start back from the beginning (or as close to the beginning as possible) each time?

Jintor

Finally playing this.

So uh, is it better if I see all the endings on the side of the flowchart that I'm on now, or is it cool to completely jump around?

Like, will I have to juggle more info in my head if I jump around and just start back from the beginning (or as close to the beginning as possible) each time?

Just jump around. The game funnels you in a certain direction via flowchart locks anyway, so it doesn't really matter

Theory time! Dont respond if I am right or wrong please. HEAVY SPOILERS.

K is Tenmyoldy son! Father from flashback looked like him!
Dead old lady is lady from K flashback!
Phi is a robot! Maybe one from K flashback, also she jumps very high and has lots of knowledge. I think to stop her in the locked route there is a verbal order that will halt her.
Dio is an asshole, I wonder if he is Dio Brando son! Wondering how the fuck he killed old lady.
There is a drug that puts you in a temporary dead state so you can remove the bracelet.
Sigma is a cat (lol)

Edit: Holy shit lol at Gaulem Bay.

Ondore

So has anyone else been double... or quadruple charged... for the watches?

It's a double pain because the card I used was my debit card, meaning that's money straight out o' the bank. Already in touch with Aksys to see about them killing the transactions.

LProtag

Now my first to be continued! I guess I'll go back and pick a different door now... though I'd probably be able to get an ending sooner if I explored the rest of that route.

Trying so hard not to spoil myself. Got to the part where you almost find out who K is. So tantalizingly close.

I thought I was a pretty good amount into the game until I just got my first character ending. It was great too, I thought the story was starting to drag, then Dio's ending really shook things up. I assume the other character endings will have the same effect.

LiK

Trying so hard not to spoil myself. Got to the part where you almost find out who K is. So tantalizingly close.

I thought I was a pretty good amount into the game until I just got my first character ending. It was great too, I thought the story was starting to drag, then Dio's ending really shook things up. I assume the other character endings will have the same effect.

Bawahaha, Dio's ending was nothing.

About 4 and a half hours in and I just hit my first Lock (lock #4), where
Quark and Alice both have Radical-6 and Sigma wants to save both of them.
I go the other route to change my AB game decision, and of course some shenanigans are afoot. Now I'm hooked and I have to see how it ends!

mxgt

Banned
Just did both sides of the right most path AB game round 2

WHAT THE FUCK PHI. I saw it coming when I betrayed first and went back after game over and it showed a flashback of what had just happened before I picked ally. This game is crazy

yami4ct

almost 16 hours in, hit my first real ending. It was Tenmyouji's. Some really interesting things going on here. If the stuff with
Akane's photo
means what I think it means, that's going to make me sad. Overall, the mystery is super intriguing. I cannot wait to see where it all goes. I'm so rarely surprised by game stories, but this one has done it over and over. If it keeps it up, good chance it'll be my GotY.

Bawahaha, Dio's ending was nothing.

Awesome.
While it was a trip, it didn't explain much. But I love the atmosphere going on, between the Myrmidons and Robots and Radical 6 and such.

Should I wait til the end to read the gold files, or does it matter?

Got Dio ending it had some revelations. Cleared Lock 08 and got Lock 09
why did it have to stop in the finger pointing animation
Got Lock 01, Lock 04 and
the two-headed lion mystery
Currently in the AB game past Lock 06 and havent gone past the yellow door.

Theory time! SPOILERS. Dont answer if I am right or wrong please.

I still think Phi is a bot. Maybe the timelines she is jumping are simulations provided by the mainframe.
K, Quark and Dio are "brothers" since they are clones of Left. I reached this because of Dio ending and K flashback.
So I gather the world is the cat and depending on my actions it may be saved. I gather that from Quark and Alice outbursts of saying the world is gonna end and Schrodinger cat.

Its so fun trying to piece things together and seeing if you are right or wrong.

Edit: OH SHIT
just entered the said AB game and Sigma hand is strange.

Sera O

Banned
Somewhat dissapointed by the lack of brutal murders so far. Maybe I've just been very lucky with my choices but so far I've gotten two "to be continued" and gotten hit in the head once for being an arse. Seems a bit tame compared to 999. Even if I've stumbled on the best paths from the beginning it could have used a murder or two in the beginning to give the story a bit more impact.

I agree, the feeling of desperately being driven forward isn't really strong for me as I'm playing this game. I'm not very far, mostly getting to locks on the right-most branches at the moment.

I'm still enjoying it. It just doesn't have the grip on me that 999 had and it doesn't feel as focused or high-stakes. Maybe the actual method of killing players
by blowing them up with an internal bomb
in 999 is just more of a deterrent than the VLR's is, which, if you're gonna die, sounds like the best you could hope for really. Or maybe the general formula of these games just isn't as effective on me anymore.

One thing is I don't like the characters as much. It's a natural consequence of the ally/betray mechanic. All through 999 I had this hate on for (true end spoiler)
June and her fake-cute simpering, but that paid off since the whole act was intentional on her part to engineer this self-serving plan for sudoku rescue.
. Otherwise, I liked the characters and cared what happened to them. In VLR, I don't care all that much about these people dying or surviving. I think the setting is also a step down, but 999's is really rich in associations, so maybe that was unavoidable.

I am enjoying the game for sure and am hoping to pick it up again over the weekend. There are tons of improvements over 999. The flowchart is great, and the hints about how that integrates are interesting - I'm sure there's way more there. Maybe I'll get sucked in down the line.

Also, Zero III is the best, seriously.

TheExodu5

Banned
I agree, the feeling of desperately being driven forward isn't really strong for me as I'm playing this game. I'm not very far, mostly getting to locks on the right-most branches at the moment.

I'm still enjoying it. It just doesn't have the grip on me that 999 had and it doesn't feel as focused or high-stakes. Maybe the actual method of killing players
by blowing them up with an internal bomb
in 999 is just more of a deterrent than the VLR's is, which, if you're gonna die, sounds like the best you could hope for really. Or maybe the general formula of these games just isn't as effective on me anymore.

One thing is I don't like the characters as much. It's a natural consequence of the ally/betray mechanic. All through 999 I had this hate on for (true end spoiler)
June and her fake-cute simpering, but that paid off since the whole act was intentional on her part to engineer this self-serving plan for sudoku rescue.
. Otherwise, I liked the characters and cared what happened to them. In VLR, I don't care all that much about these people dying or surviving. I think the setting is also a step down, but 999's is really rich in associations, so maybe that was unavoidable.

I am enjoying the game for sure and am hoping to pick it up again over the weekend. There are tons of improvements over 999. The flowchart is great, and the hints about how that integrates are interesting - I'm sure there's way more there. Maybe I'll get sucked in down the line.

I actually prefer the characters in this, however I will agree that this game definitely isn't as gripping. 999 opened with a bang which set the stakes high...VLR feels too relaxed at times. Still, combined with the better designed puzzles, lack of escape sequence dialog bombardment, and the addition of a flowchart, this game is a big improvement over 999 for me.

Sera O

Banned
I actually prefer the characters in this, however I will agree that this game definitely isn't as gripping. 999 opened with a bang which set the stakes high...VLR feels too relaxed at times. Still, combined with the better designed puzzles, lack of escape sequence dialog bombardment, and the addition of a flowchart, this game is a big improvement over 999 for me.

You're right, I don't miss the 'hit x repeatedly to make this person stop talking' when just trying to get to point b and put in a cipher or something. I have been doing the gold/silver file thing. Puzzles have been reasonable so far, and using the hard difficulty first with few interjections from teammates is not a problem. The fact that the game keeps the safe codes for you is a big plus. I hope that as I go through my investment in these characters and what happens to them grows a lot.

I fuckin' love Zero III. I hoppily agree.

I do kind of wish some of the puzzles for the gold files were more challenging. To get one, you only had to match colors, whereas to get the exit key, you had to match colors AND numbers, which should be a gold file puzzle and not an exit key puzzle.

I think in the [room spoiler]
rainbow tree/control room
I easily got the gold file before the exit key, the exit key took a lot more work.

Ondore

Update: Wrote to Aksys about it, they cleared it up with the bank - and for the trouble, I get an extra watch. :)

Aksys, if you're listening, Russell needs a raise.

Jintor

The main thing is it doesn't feel quite as Saw-like or threatening (which is interesting because there's a lot more 'short-term' deadlines). Being 'trapped' in the game forever, while objectively probably worse than being blown up then and there, is still not really as threatening

So I got past the yellow door then the red. I hate Dio.

Theory time! Maybe I will compile my posts and show then in the spoiler thread after I am done. Heavy spoilers.

So Sigma white blood maybe is not because he is a bot but because he has too much antibodies in his body dealing with Radical-6.
The entry in the journal specifies that cat are immune to it and Sigma connection to cats leads me to it.
Concluding Sigma holds the cure for Radical-6 therefore he is the savior of mankind.
Then this game is an attempt to transmit Sigma antibodies information through the morphegenetic field to other human antibodies thus saving mankind

Top Bottom