• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward |OT| -- More Hours, More Persons, More Doors

Omikaru

You know what?! I think this might be my favourite videogame franchise at the moment...anyone else feel that the more time passes the more you appreciate this game and 999?

I mean don’t get me wrong, I loved them both the minute I started playing them, but looking back at all the games I’ve played...these two stick out. They’re so damn memorable!

I actually I find that I forget about these kinds of games about 6-7 months after beating them, just because they have a really small replay value. The immediate feeling after beating the game is amazing, and the hunger for more is hard to satisfy because of this lack of replay value, but ultimately 6-7 months later I forget and my passion/hype dies until I can convince myself to buy the next game in the series (generally in the launch hype phase, as it was with VLR).

Lusankya

I actually I find that I forget about these kinds of games about 6-7 months after beating them, just because they have a really small replay value. The immediate feeling after beating the game is amazing, and the hunger for more is hard to satisfy because of this lack of replay value, but ultimately 6-7 months later I forget and my passion/hype dies until I can convince myself to buy the next game in the series (generally in the launch hype phase, as it was with VLR).

Well, just before VLR was released I had much fun replaying 999.
I also already replayed each Ace Attorney game at least three times, so personally I find great replay values in these games. :D

I haunt both VLR and 999 Gfaqs boards since 999 came out in the US.
I agree, this is probably my favourite franchise of all time, even more than FF!
It has its share of problems and it's far from perfect, but wow!
I seriously love it!

I haunt both VLR and 999 Gfaqs boards since 999 came out in the US.
I agree, this is probably my favourite franchise of all time, even more than FF!
It has its share of problems and it's far from perfect, but wow!
I seriously love it!

Agreed. I'm not sure how many times I'll replay the games themselves, but the story, themes, and characters will no doubt stick with me for a loooong time.

Question relating to ending.....
I just woke up as Kyle and talked to Akane in the garden. After she said I had to go back to help Sigma and Phi it faded to black and then it sent me back to the timelines. I'm not seeing anywhere else to go. Was that the end? If so... WTF!?! It feels like the ending of FF13-2 if thats the case!

Mistle

Game is definitely starting to pick up!

Need ID and Password in the left tree with the two headed lion... Memento Mori, Remember Death... if the nineth lion ate the sun...
The game is telling me I should know it but I don't ;_; I've picked up on the many lion/sun symbols throughout my plays but the lightbulb hasn't gone off in my head yet to piece them together and work out this ID and Password.

Gonna try out a few different branches now and hopefully I come to a realization, lol.

Need ID and Password in the left tree with the two headed lion... Memento Mori, Remember Death... if the nineth lion ate the sun...
The game is telling me I should know it but I don't ;_; I've picked up on the many lion/sun symbols throughout my plays but the lightbulb hasn't gone off in my head yet to piece them together and work out this ID and Password.

Gonna try out a few different branches now and hopefully I come to a realization, lol.

You'll know when you find it in the story. Not really major spoilers, but marking just to be safe.
If you need to go back through the timeline to see the scene with the user name, look for "Key to gate #1" or something like that.
trust me when I say that you'll know if/when you have run into the right ID and password combo.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
You know, in an uncanny coincidence I'm reading a book on translation between languages at the moment and in the chapter on artificial intelligence the author quotes and then refutes the original Chinese Room thought experiment. I'd never heard of it before this game and all of the sudden it shows up in my book.

Tmdean

Banned
I've never understood the Chinese room argument anyway. If you're a materialist, it's obviously incorrect. If you're a dualist, you probably don't need to be convinced that artificial intelligence is impossible. The thought experiment doesn't seem to give any additional insight. But I'm not that into philosophy so maybe I'm missing something.

Yeah, unless you've done all other endings possible before that one, it's literally impossible to get past it without cheating by looking at a guide or having EXTREMELY DAMN LUCKY guesses at the password (so still impossible).

All endings will give you at least one important piece of information. Write it down/screenshot it.

The Technomancer

I've never understood the Chinese room argument anyway. If you're a materialist, it's obviously incorrect. If you're a dualist, you probably don't need to be convinced that artificial intelligence is impossible. The thought experiment doesn't seem to give any additional insight. But I'm not that into philosophy so maybe I'm missing something.

It was devised to convert people to dualism by presenting a machine capable of appearing intelligent as actually "simple" on the inside. The author I'm reading is really annoyed by that.

Tmdean

Banned
It was devised to convert people to dualism by presenting a machine capable of appearing intelligent as actually "simple" on the inside. The author I'm reading is really annoyed by that.

The somewhat tautological way to refute it is by turning it on its head: if the machine truly can answer questions of increasingly arbitrary complexity than it must be mimicking human thought because any lesser process would fail some questions/tests

Yeah, as a materialist my response to that argument is "yes, and?"

I'm sure the behavior of individual neurons in my brain is "simple" as well. It's in the interaction among billions of them where intelligence emerges.

I was kind of confused about why the Chinese room was included in this game. Was Uchikoshi trying to say that Luna wasn't really intelligent? It doesn't seem to be the implied in any other aspect of her character.

edit: oh, fuck, sorry

Uh, edit that quick this is not the spoiler thread.

Edit: Thank you, it'd be bad if someone got spoiled on THAT. Not as bad as other spoilers, but it's up there.

Jintor

Yeah, as a materialist my response to that argument is "yes, and?"

I'm sure the behavior of individual neurons in my brain is "simple" as well. It's in the interaction among billions of them where intelligence emerges.

I was kind of confused about why the Chinese room was included in this game. Was Uchikoshi trying to say that Luna wasn't really intelligent? It doesn't seem to be the implied in any other aspect of her character.

edit: oh, fuck, sorry

I read it as (and I don't do philosophy so pray excuse me if it's bullshit)
saying that there was no essential difference between GAUL-Ms and humans if the intelligence was sophisticated enough. It's just another turing test imho

Chopper

Thoroughly enjoying this. On my third playthrough. Got Dio as my first ending, and my second was a Game Over. :(

Anyway! In the crew's quarters, can anybody give me a hint on the last locker (in room 1) code?

I've obvopiously established the link between the shapes and the numbers on the poster, but the codes don't work. I've tried in the order presented on the desk amd the order of the rooms and the areas on the chalk outlines, but no dice. What am I missing?

Also, in the infirmary:
Where do I find the information that leads me to the gold file code? I assume it has something to do with the drawer with the symbols and number inputs, but I have no idea what that combination should be.

Jintor

Thoroughly enjoying this. On my third playthrough. Got Dio as my first ending, and my second was a Game Over. :(

Anyway! In the crew's quarters, can anybody give me a hint on the last locker (in room 1) code?

I've obvopiously established the link between the shapes and the numbers on the poster, but the codes don't work. I've tried in the order presented on the desk amd the order of the rooms and the areas on the chalk outlines, but no dice. What am I missing?

Also, in the infirmary:
Where do I find the information that leads me to the gold file code? I assume it has something to do with the drawer with the symbols and number inputs, but I have no idea what that combination should be.

There's something every man desires in there. Make sure you've got a coin.

As for the infirmary, plug the solution for one puzzle back into a different puzzle.

vladdamad

I got this game two days ago and I've already put in 15 hours. I can't stop, the twists just keep coming! So far I've gotten the
Dio, Tenmyouji, Clover and K
endings, although the middle two of those I felt were kind of abrupt. Gotta keep going!

Quick question about the path on the very left -
when I get to the computer in the director's office, should I already have all the info I need to put in the ID and password? I know the MILKENOVA thing that K gave me in his ending is part of it, but I'm not sure if Dio's password is the one I should use.

Can anyone just give me a quick spoiler-free hint on whether or not I have everything I need?

I got this game two days ago and I've already put in 15 hours. I can't stop, the twists just keep coming! So far I've gotten the
Dio, Tenmyouji, Clover and K
endings, although the middle two of those I felt were kind of abrupt. Gotta keep going!

Quick question about the path on the very left -
when I get to the computer in the director's office, should I already have all the info I need to put in the ID and password? I know the MILKENOVA thing that K gave me in his ending is part of it, but I'm not sure if Dio's password is the one I should use.

Can anyone just give me a quick spoiler-free hint on whether or not I have everything I need?

You don't have all the info!
You get what you need far in the game!

The Technomancer

Whoa whoa wait are
Tenmyoji and Quark K's father and K from an alternate reality? Or the past? Or some shit?

EDIT:
I'M ROBOT K?

EDIT 2: Okay, this is my current speculation:
It is the future. The Nonary game is being run to find the cure to Radical 6. Phi and I are both robots and the "agents" in this game who are meant to solve it (hence why we both have greek letters for names and she knows my name initially). K is the son of the scientist who was working on the cure. Alice, Clover and Dio were the ones in the stasis pods. Tenmyoji and Quark...don't know their deals yet. Possibly K and K's father.

vladdamad

OK, so I've done a bit of thinking, and don't tell me yes or no, but I have some thoughts on Tenmyouji as a character (odd, he seems more of a mystery after I had finished his route). Speculation, although if it's right it could be a spoiler.
Is he Junpei? Again, don't tell me, but it does explain him having a picture of Akane with him (what a shock that was!). Of course, this completely screws with the timeline, why has he aged so much when Clover and Alice are still the same age? Unless they've been in those cold sleep machines.
Gah. So many thoughts. Don't tell me if I'm on the right track, I just have to get my thoughts out somewhere. Gotta keep playing

The Technomancer

Okay, can anyone genuinely answer me this since I can't find out without totally restarting the game:
On the far rightmost path on round two of the AB game I initially chose Betray, and Phi got pissed off and vowed revenge, and when I went back and chose Ally she chose Betray as her revenge and the whole "multiple timelines" thing came out for the first time. What happens if I choose Ally first and don't piss her off?

Trigger

Okay, can anyone genuinely answer me this since I can't find out without totally restarting the game:
On the far rightmost path on round two of the AB game I initially chose Betray, and Phi got pissed off and vowed revenge, and when I went back and chose Ally she chose Betray as her revenge and the whole "multiple timelines" thing came out for the first time. What happens if I choose Ally first and don't piss her off?

It still happens. When she betrayed me I was like, "Huh? When did I ever piss you off?" I assume the game expects us to betray her first and then see that scene. I was working from left to right my first time through.

It plays out the same way but it locks you out of continuing until you betray her.

The Technomancer

It still happens. When she betrayed me I was like, "Huh? When did I ever piss you off?" I assume the game expects us to betray her first and then see that scene. I was working from left to right my first time through.

Ah, gotcha.
Bit of a gamble on the developers part, but if the player does choose Betray first the moment is absolutely electric. Probably one of my top video game moments of all time. The entire time the game sets you up to expect that you can just go back and re-try things consequence free, except for the hiccup with Alice, and then all of the sudden Phi just turns everything on its head. Amazing

The Technomancer

Well, considering that I did it the other way around, it still had quite an impact and was a big "oh shit" moment.

Yeah, but, I dunno,
I can't imagine it being quite as..."disruptive" as if you had honestly picked betray first because the game trains you into this mentality of consequence free experimentation only to suddenly shatter that

The Technomancer

Godamnit
Clover is fucking nuts

EDIT: In
the directors office, seeing the photo of Akane HOLY SHIT HOW FAR IN THE FUTURE ARE WE TENMYOJI IS JUNPEI OH MY GAWWWD

Well
Alice and Clover were definitely in stasis for a while

I am still convinced that
Junpei Tenmyoji is K's father (and K is Quarks father, got that wrong above) based on how both K and Junpei react to the old woman, who I now suspect was Akane. And K is "Zero Sr."

EDIT EDIT:
Okay, Tenmyoji isn't K's father I guess, just got Quark's ending. I'm still convinced he knows the old woman who K's father was involved with though

EDIT EDIT EDIT: Wait, apparently
Quark's letter is part of Tenmyoji's end? What the hell does Quark's ending look like then?

The Technomancer

Wait, that was the
Sigma
end? I didn't find out anything about
myself, other than that I have robot arms!
I expected up until then for it to be
the Luna end

Pretty sure she's a robot btw, based on her behavior at the end. She's the robot mother K's father built for him I'm betting

grim-tales

I've really been looking forward to VLR when I ordered it about 3 weeks ago and its STILL not here :( I've been trying to avoid spoilers and havent really read anything, but keep worrying it wont arrive.
999 was amazing, one of the best stories I've been involved in with a game. :)

The Technomancer

the old woman IS AKANE. I CALLED IT. YOU ALL SAW IT. RIGHT HERE, IN BLACK AND WHITE. YOU STOLE FIZZY LIFTING DRINK.

EDIT:
So Akane is Zero again?

EDIT EDIT:
Okay, so I'm not a robot. But something is up. No way Sigma is my real name, especially since coincidentally the other person who can jump timelines is also named after a greek letter. Is it symbolic? I am Sigma because I make use of the sum of all of my experiences?

Top Bottom