• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward |OT| -- More Hours, More Persons, More Doors

Javier

As long as more people keep playing this game, this thread will continue to be an amazing read.

C'mon Technomancer, get moar endings!

Zornica

Banned
Ok... WTF is going on with this game and its release dates in every european country except for france and the UK?
Amazon spain lists it for february 15ths, amazon italy says it's february 22nd and amazon germany just moved it to march 8th (from january 27th).
so what the hell?
why is it out in france, the uk and the eshop, but not in retail anywhere else? Is it even coming out anymore? or has it been canceled?.
can somebody recommend me a good french or uk site to order it from? I am tired of waiting.

Chopper

Just got two crashes in the PEC room. Save file's in tact. Phew.

Also, my mind is full of fuck. This game.

Edit: What code am I looking for for the blue code here? I have no idea!

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Funnily enough I didn't get any craches in the PEC room. I did get one in the Archives though, doing the
dice puzzle

Just got two crashes in the PEC room. Save file's in tact. Phew.

Also, my mind is full of fuck. This game.

Edit: What code am I looking for for the blue code here? I have no idea!

You figured out the green code? There's another
pattern just like it the one you used to find it, but shorter, and right in plain sight

grim-tales

I'm thinking maybe the game has been really popular in the UK (which is good thing) and Amazon have had to get more stock in?
I'm getting a bit fed up of waiting though, I want my 999 fix, damn it :D

godspoken

Ah, gotcha.
Bit of a gamble on the developers part, but if the player does choose Betray first the moment is absolutely electric. Probably one of my top video game moments of all time. The entire time the game sets you up to expect that you can just go back and re-try things consequence free, except for the hiccup with Alice, and then all of the sudden Phi just turns everything on its head. Amazing
Spoilers for events probably past where you are:
Yeah, that ended up happening for me both for Alice and for Phi, but Alice first, so the Phi thing wasn't so suprising (I went Tenyouji, Alice, and then Luna initial path) but still awesome.

miksar

Damn, I love how you see events differently in the initial stages of the game after you reach at least one ending. I mean,
I've just realized that Quark and Dio look quite alike after Quark went mental in the infirmary.
I wouldn't notice it without getting the Dio ending first. Also,
Dio manipulating everyone into thinking there is no pandemic and me realizing he killed the old woman in the beginning as he wasn't intended to be in the Nonary game originally.

Mistle

The dart puzzle in the REC room took me too long.. I got the secondary answer first, then couldn't manage to get the primary answer... In the end I still don't really know what I did, haha

For the secondary one I believe I followed the "greater than" symbols... But then I don't think that was correct, as I could put them in any order and it'd still work :/
Then for the primary one, I was thinking small to big order, because the sizes on the item went from small to big, red - blue - green. But that didn't work... So i ended up just fluking it, I think :S
lol I'd love to know what the correct understanding was supposed to be.

Also confusing in that room:
I never had a use for the shadows of the suits of armour.. The spotlight switch and all that. Never used it!

The Technomancer

The dart puzzle in the REC room took me too long.. I got the secondary answer first, then couldn't manage to get the primary answer... In the end I still don't really know what I did, haha

For the secondary one I believe I followed the "greater than" symbols... But then I don't think that was correct, as I could put them in any order and it'd still work :/
Then for the primary one, I was thinking small to big order, because the sizes on the item went from small to big, red - blue - green. But that didn't work... So i ended up just fluking it, I think :S

I never had a use for the shadows of the suits of armour.. The spotlight switch and all that. Never used it!

The shadows just give you the hint that you need to switch the weapons

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
This time next week I week be all up in this game. I cannot wait, 999 was one of the best DS games. I only wish more of my favorite DS franchise were getting 3DS sequels.

Jintor

it's just to highlight the weapons i think

Hard to say!
What did you find boring? The novel part or the puzzle part?
If the first, this game isn't for you.
If the latter, you can play it, but I don't know!

3DS has a game-breaking bug, which can be easily avoided, but it's still a big problem.
Vita version is far superior, with the only downside of clunkier controls.
But that's my opinion, I played the game on both consoles and I really loved the Vita one better.

BTW, this game is the sequel of 999 for DS.
If you get ahold of a copy, you should play that first!

3DS has a game-breaking bug, which can be easily avoided, but it's still a big problem.
Vita version is far superior, with the only downside of clunkier controls.
But that's my opinion, I played the game on both consoles and I really loved the Vita one better.

BTW, this game is the sequel of 999 for DS.
If you get ahold of a copy, you should play that first!

I have a copy of 999 on the shelf. Is that really required to play?

I'ma broken record.
While 999 isn't NECESSARY to the understanding of the plot, having played it gives you much more satisfaction once you start unraveling some mysteries.
And VLR spoils 999, so you can't come back!

soultron

Banned
False, you don't need to play 999 to enjoy VLR.

I didn't play 999 (and I refuse to, since it sounds clunky as fuck and basically requires you to play with a FAQ to get the most ouf of it) and I had a great time with VLR.

I'd hate to draw the ire of Zero Escape fanatics, but the story (while enjoyable) isn't really that amazing that you need to torture yourself any play 999 to enjoy the direct nods back to 999 that happen to be in VLR. Another thing is that the game does a great job of mentioning "hey, this happened in 999" or "hey, this was a character in 999." Just look up the character/event reference on a wiki if you feel so inclined to do so.

Sorry if I offended anyone's delicate sensibilities with this post, but I feel the perspective is required from someone who didn't play 999 and really liked VLR all the same.

In a similar sense, I'm really hoping that the 3rd chapter after this makes some small mechanical advancements that make replaying things less of a chore (don't run me through entire 15 minute sections of text while skipping, for instance. I can't really go into how I'd like the skipping to be handled unless I go into spoiler territory.). I know there's an option to skip things. The interface is just a bit of a mess. (I played on 3DS.)

Vibed

Torture yourself? Many of us consider 999 the better game
at least story wise
. Pretty much anyone who's played both would tell you playing 999 first will give you a greatly enhanced experience. Sure, VLR is very good on it's own, but it can be better if you follow the story properly.

Some of those reveals are just okay on their own but shocking if you played the first.

I can see how you'd feel that way about the story without playing 999 though, VLR wouldn't be as cool for you, I think.

soultron

Banned
Torture yourself? Many of us consider 999 the better game
at least story wise
. Pretty much anyone who's played both would tell you playing 999 first will give you a greatly enhanced experience. Sure, VLR is very good on it's own, but it can be better if you follow the story properly.

Some of those reveals are just okay on their own but shocking if you played the first.

I can see how you'd feel that way about the story without playing 999 though, VLR wouldn't be as cool for you, I think.

The conceit on my end is that, now, having only played VLR and experienced its upgrades in basic usability, I could not go back to 999. I don't care how great the story is.

There is no flow chart in 999, correct? (Kind of makes sense, but I feel spoiled now.) How does skipping work in 999?

There's not much gameplay in Zero Escape games as is, so I think reducing a game to following a FAQ makes it even less of an interactive experience. I'm not saying you have to play 999 with a FAQ, but I've been told that's the best way to get the most out of it. And if that's so, I'll have no part in it, sorry.

I'm an edge case since I don't have as big a hard on for Zero Escape as some people do mainly because of the VN format and what comes with that in terms of limited interactivity and the way the game handles/controls. I'm aware of that and I hope other people are too when they read my opinions on VLR and the limited things I've heard about 999.

VLR took me 38 hours total game time to finish 100% even with skipping. I don't know how long 999 is, but if it's anywhere near that long and doesn't have the same UI affordances that VLR does, I'm not going to put myself through that.

The only thing I was trying to get across in my first post is to, "Yes, play VLR because it is good. But don't put yourself through 999 because you feel like it's required reading." The reason I say that is because the worst case scenario I can imagine is that someone plays the VLR demo, doesn't really like the controls or something, then is told they need to play 999 and then just dropping everything there because it's less intuitive of an experience than VLR. That's all, really. People can make up their own minds, but again, as someone who didn't play 999, I had an excellent time with VLR and didn't feel like I was missing anything of substance.

Javier

If you already have 999, there's ZERO reason to not play that one first.

If you don't own 999, buy it anyway and play it before VLR.

The Technomancer

VLR took me 38 hours total game time to finish 100% even with skipping. I don't know how long 999 is, but if it's anywhere near that long and doesn't have the same UI affordances that VLR does, I'm not going to put myself through that.

999 is much shorter, perhaps 12-18 hours. And skipping is handled by fast-forwarding through text you've seen already. Which isn't quite as repetitive as it would be in VLR because VLR has more discrete choices and many many more endings.

Yeah, on a (mostly) perfect reread of 999 it took me 18 hours according to my 3DS. That was taking my time to read everything at least once.

The lack of flowchart is annoying, yes, but it's not that bad. The only thing about that that was starting to really annoy me was having to do the first puzzle at least 5 times.

Well, it's not as important but if I had the option of adding it to the game I certainly would. Although that overlooks those apparently minor choices you have to make through all of the playthrough that get you a bad ending if you don't answer correctly (you know what I mean), and also those extra pieces of info that you only get in certain rooms if you're going on the true ending path (can't remember if it was with the safe too).

Yes, it was this way with safe too!
I kinda miss the long novel sections during escape rooms, they made me feel more attached to my companions!

Since there wasn't a 3DS demo I'm not sure, but was the escape room in that the Crew Quarters? I wasn't too fond of that one either, although I liked the way of getting some of the solutions.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I have two more endings to go, then I can start reading the spoiler thread...my doors of perception haven't been blown off yet but there's still time.

I gotta say, out if all the exceptional voice acting, I really enjoy hearing Tenmyouji talk. He just has that old, weathered 'don't give a fuck' voice down. I switched to Japanese voices out if curiosity, and their version just doesn't have the same quality at all.

Jintor

That's all, really. People can make up their own minds, but again, as someone who didn't play 999, I had an excellent time with VLR and didn't feel like I was missing anything of substance.

The saddest loss, the one who knows not what he has missed

Chopper

Fuck!

Why don't I know the zeroth bomb password? The only password I have, but haven't used, is "Jumpydoll", which was on the old lady's ID card! This is the last ending I need!

The Technomancer

Fuck!

Why don't I know the zeroth bomb password? The only password I have, but haven't used, is "Jumpydoll", which was on the old lady's ID card! This is the last ending I need!

If you really want to know where you get it, read this:

Its revealed in Dio's ending

It's a bit strange, because you
supposedly get it very early on but you can use it near the end! If Dio's ending is your first one, you probably didn't even know about bomb passwords!

Javier

Maybe I'm just angry it took nearly 40 hours to complete VLR. So much sitting and reading. I enjoyed many a snack while playing. :p
VLR is a Visual Novel. For the genre, 40 hours is hardly long. 999 is quite short in comparison.

Ever17, for example,
the ending alone is 12 hours of doing nothing but skip through the text.

soultron

Banned
VLR is a Visual Novel. For the genre, 40 hours is hardly long. 999 is quite short in comparison.

Ever17, for example,
the ending alone is 12 hours of doing nothing but skip through the text.
Oh god. I doubt that even the most gripping story could keep me scrollin' for that long. You're kidding, right?

Top Bottom