• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward |OT| -- More Hours, More Persons, More Doors

It resets when you exit the puzzle.

That doesn't make any sense
I can move words from a monitor that's on to a monitor that isn't even powered up? Wat?

It worked so, thanks.

I've encountered some silly shit so far, especially that one with the board game
who counts the square that you're rolling from? Worse still, on subsequent movements you DON'T count the square you were on

Huge improvement over the puzzles from 999 all things considered

IrishNinja

okay, so i reached a dead end in the left most pathway, had to go back & do something different from the AB room....its okay to fast forward the text/acting, right? the game's not gonna let me skip something new, is it?

Mr. Fix

okay, so i reached a dead end in the left most pathway, had to go back & do something different from the AB room....its okay to fast forward the text/acting, right? the game's not gonna let me skip something new, is it?

You can fast forward. It stops once it reaches a scene/dialogue you haven't seen/read yet.

Virtue's Last Reward was my favourite game of 2012. I loved 999, but wow this game blew me away in a way that I never expected. Never have I been so engrossed and captivated by a video game narrative. It took me about 8 days to plow through this game and I loved every minute of it. I was spoiled on a few pretty big details prior to playing the game,
(Zero's identity and the reveal that one of the characters was a GOL-M.)
but that didn't stop me from loving all of the twists and turns. Even the things which I was spoiled on had profound effects once I got to see them play out, with all of the other details in place. Up until the reveal, I'd try to piece together how I think the spoiler plays out, but of course I was so far off each time. With that said, I plan on not allowing myself anywhere near Zero Escape 3 discussions until I finish the game!

So Bravo, Chunsoft and Aksys! Even with the technical issues, you've managed to create my second favourite game of all time (Persona 4 has you guys beat still unfortunately ;) ).

Mistle

"Quick! Something bad has happened!"

*watch blinking map for 30 seconds*

Really ruins the pace of the narrative imo. Wish you could skip the map. Or better yet, be like 999 and describe the terror as they're running through the hallways and such.

The game is getting better, but I'm still feeling a let down by it... Around 15 hours in, but heaps of paths left, so who knows. I never thought I'd say it, but I even get a tad bored playing the game. Which after being riveted by 999, is rather disappointing.

corn_fest

"Quick! Something bad has happened!"

*watch blinking map for 30 seconds*

Really ruins the pace of the narrative imo. Wish you could skip the map. Or better yet, be like 999 and describe the terror as they're running through the hallways and such.

The game is getting better, but I'm still feeling a let down by it... Around 15 hours in, but heaps of paths left, so who knows. I never thought I'd say it, but I even get a tad bored playing the game. Which after being riveted by 999, is rather disappointing.

I went through a phase of being bored about halfway through when I started getting a bunch of similar bad endings. But whenever you switch one of the three main branches, the story becomes significantly different. Plus, the ending of the game means you'll be getting a lot of character endings in quick succession.

The map travel added absolutely nothing. Really poor choice.

Having finished the game, the why of it all was much better than 999 imo. The concepts developed were put to much better use

Mistle

I went through a phase of being bored about halfway through when I started getting a bunch of similar bad endings. But whenever you switch one of the three main branches, the story becomes significantly different. Plus, the ending of the game means you'll be getting a lot of character endings in quick succession.

Yeah, I started the game doing all I could of the right branch. Now I'm over on the left branch, and it's really quite different. Interested to see the middle one, and how they all tie together.

Coen

Gah, finally had to resort to using a FAQ. Couldn't get the billiards puzzle in the rec room down, even though I had all the clues. Still don't really 'get' it, to be honest.

Anyway, 27 hours in and still haven't gotten a decent ending yet. It bothered me early on, but seeing the different stories unfold and interplay, is thrilling enough without the payoff. This game has really taken over my mind.

I've encountered some silly shit so far, especially that one with the board game
who counts the square that you're rolling from? Worse still, on subsequent movements you DON'T count the square you were on

Huge improvement over the puzzles from 999 all things considered
I've seen a lot of complaints about this, did noone seriously realise that you
start in the start bay area and not the first space?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Alright, been on the road a lot the past few days and haven't really been able to type up my thoughts so far. Here's my rampant story speculation so far:

-Only gotten one real "ending",
Clover's
. Kinda useless,
just told me stuff I knew from 999

-
There's probably nothing sinister about Phi. I think she's a "player" like me, confused but intelligent enough to think about whats happening. Also looping through time and/or experiencing multiple quantum states the way I am.

-
Dio is probably right and Quark probably is a manipulative evil little asshole. I'm waiting for the reveal

-
This Nonary game is the reverse of the one from 999. Somehow in some way people in the future have set up the game in the past to find the cure for Radical-6. Don't ask me how this works with Quark coming down with it, or Axelivier lying around, I don't know yet

-
Luna is too innocent. And of all the characters she's second only to Phi and K in terms of people I know nothing about. I suspect she's Zero Sr, trying to find a cure for Radical-6

-
I have no idea what the fuck is going on with K

-Oh, also
I still don't quite trust Clover. I remember 999...

Alright, been on the road a lot the past few days and haven't really been able to type up my thoughts so far. Here's my rampant story speculation so far:

-Only gotten one real "ending",
Clover's
. Kinda useless,
just told me stuff I knew from 999

You kidding? :(
It expands the story telling you what she and others did after they met Alice in the desert! Having played 999, it should be great! :)

The Technomancer

Okay, did I catch a tiny mistake in the game or does this have repercussions? Don't answer that, I'm doing this for the entertainment of those of you who have beaten it:
In the Rec Room where Dio and K are dead, Dio's bracelet is still on his wrist. But bracelets fall off when your heart stops beating. So did it...?

Gonna tell you something in advance just in case so that you don't "make a mistake"

You can't get past the password screen you'll find yet. You didn't miss anything, so don't go looking at a guide for the codes like a friend of mine did.

Okay, did I catch a tiny mistake in the game or does this have repercussions? Don't answer that, I'm doing this for the entertainment of those of you who have beaten it:
In the Rec Room where Dio and K are dead, Dio's bracelet is still on his wrist. But bracelets fall off when your heart stops beating. So did it...?

EDIT: I reread your post, I won't tell you anything!

I've been reading all the gold files. Doesn't seem like there has been anything too out there... But I haven't gotten too far either I guess. If the consensus is to not read them I guess I'll stop.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Question regarding a Treatment Center puzzle:
Does it say anywhere to do minutes first on the dice board game? I didn't get what I was doing wrong until I looked it up.

Question regarding a Treatment Center puzzle:
Does it say anywhere to do minutes first on the dice board game? I didn't get what I was doing wrong until I looked it up.

The middle of the board has m with an arrow pointing clockwise around it and an h with an anti-clockwise arrow, so minutes clockwise, hours anti-clockwise. That's if I understood your question >_>

Vibed

Don't worry about it. There's seriously nothing spoiled in them.
Nah, he really shouldn't, there are things spoiled in them for sure. Or at least when a question remains up in the air, it will sometimes confirm the truth.

He shouldn't just to be safe.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
The middle of the board has m with an arrow pointing clockwise around it and an h with an anti-clockwise arrow, so minutes clockwise, hours anti-clockwise. That's if I understood your question >_>
I meant
to move the pieces clockwise first, not counterclockwise. But that wouldn't change where you landed, would it? I'm not sure what I was doing wrong. At first I though you used each number individually like like dice, so 20 would actually only be two moves. Then I tried moving the piece 20 spaces clockwise. Either way, I didn't get either of the passwords right no matter what way I tried.

The Technomancer

I meant
to move the pieces clockwise first, not counterclockwise. But that wouldn't change where you landed, would it? I'm not sure what I was doing wrong. At first I though you used each number individually like like dice, so 20 would actually only be two moves. Then I tried moving the piece 20 spaces clockwise. Either way, I didn't get either of the passwords right no matter what way I tried.

Well the arrow on the start section points right, so I just started clockwise

corn_fest

Nah, he really shouldn't, there are things spoiled in them for sure. Or at least when a question remains up in the air, it will sometimes confirm the truth.

He shouldn't just to be safe.

I just looked through all of them. I'm pretty sure the only thing that might be considered spoilers are the
supplementary AB rules
(1st / 2nd chromatic door spoilers), which I think you might be able to get before hearing about them in-game (and even then, I'm not sure), but which aren't a big deal anyway. Everything else is either just a bit of background information on characters or concepts, or explanations of things mentioned in that room. There's nothing that spoils the story, unless I've missed something.

edit: there are things about (much bigger spoilers)
cybernetic arms and the effects of Radical-6
, but I assume those are obtained after encountering them in the story. It's been some time since playing, though, so I'm not completely sure.

The Gold Files aren't bad so much as they give you just enough to go into the following sequences with a degree confirmation bias. The revelations don't hit quite as hard unless you already deduced them anyway. That said, I'm pretty sure they were designed to be viewed before leaving the escape room in which you found them. Otherwise, there's no real point to them once the tidbits revealed get expounded upon. I read them all as I found them for what it's worth.

I was going to ask, does anyone know which file this is and where to find it? Must have missed it somehow and it's all that I need for the Platinum

http://imgur.com/B8TkC

Also, really should declare that I've finally gotten round to buying 999 and Virtue's Last Reward and they should be somewhere above the Atlantic right about now.

The Gold Files aren't bad so much as they give you just enough to go into the following sequences with a degree confirmation bias. The revelations don't hit quite as hard unless you already deduced them anyway. That said, I'm pretty sure they were designed to be viewed before leaving the escape room in which you found them. Otherwise, there's no real point to them once the tidbits revealed get expounded upon. I read them all as I found them for what it's worth.

I was going to ask, does anyone know which file this is and where to find it? Must have missed it somehow and it's all that I need for the Platinum

http://imgur.com/B8TkC

It's probably a file about the darts and how the points work in the Rec Room IIRC.

I have
Clover and Dio's
endings and I am working my way through the other paths, but I keep getting
Game Overs or To Be Continued. I'm also seeing a lot of Locks on my timeline. What am I supposed to do to get past them?

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Got the true ending late last night. Currently my GOTY for 2012. There are some really good puzzles and the story is thrilling throughout. The game does an excellent job explaining the convoluted story at the end, which left me very satisfied. Some of the twists you could have extrapolated through some cues
like Phi hinting towards Sigma's old age or Tenmyouji being Junpei once you know he's been searching for Akane. The time lapse and location of the base could have been at least guessed at, but those are far more out there.

Couple questions, mostly related to the connections with 999:

Why did Akane distance herself from Junpei? How did Akane meet Sigma to start the AB Project? Why was Sigma such a shitty father to K/Kyle? Why were Quark and Alice the only two strongly affected by Radical 6? Was the a part of the plan or an unknown variable? Why was Zero Jr. a rabbit?
I probably have more questions but I'm still digesting everything. To no surprise I thought some story elements were too convenient such as
Sigma never feeling his face for his cybernetic eye, never feeling the need to look at his own face recognizing (I'm guessing to be) his own voice in the Zero hologram.

Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward
Play Time 44:09
Times Played 14
Average Play Time 3:09

Compared to:

Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors
Play Time 17:19
Times Played 5
Average Play Time 3:27

VLR probably would have beaten 999 for Average Play Time if not for the PEC crashes.

Mr. Fix

Couple questions, mostly related to the connections with 999:

Why did Akane distance herself from Junpei? How did Akane meet Sigma to start the AB Project? Why was Sigma such a shitty father to K/Kyle? Why were Quark and Alice the only two strongly affected by Radical 6? Was the a part of the plan or an unknown variable? Why was Zero Jr. a rabbit?
I probably have more questions but I'm still digesting everything. To no surprise I thought some story elements were too convenient such as
Sigma never feeling his face for his cybernetic eye, never feeling the need to look at his own face recognizing (I'm guessing to be) his own voice in the Zero hologram.

- It might just be in Akane's nature (especially after 999's ending), it's how she is. Another possible reason is that in order to have the events or VLR go smoothly, Young Akane had no other choice than to let things run its course, even if that meant shunning Junpei. She needed him for the VLR Nonary game, and what better way to entice the guy than to mention that she was on the moon as well.

- Not sure about Sigma being a shitty father, but I assume it's just a trope for hard working fathers neglecting their children.

- My guess is as good as anybody's for Quark/Alice. It was all definitely part of the plan though.

- I think it's a shout-out to Junpei and Akane's flashback in 999 where he was beaten up for confronting bullies for killing their class bunny. Akane helped Sigma with the preparations for the Nonary game too.

Vibed

Why was Zero Jr. a rabbit?

Actually,
Zero's a rabbit because of the old rabbit on the moon folktale from Japan. To them, the face of the moon looks like a rabbit and there's an entire story around it. In fact, in 999 in the Library one of the books makes mention of this folktale.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Every time I play, I just can't believe what they made Clover wear in this game. I keep thinking it's part of the plot to be explained later, because who would leave the house like that?

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Every time I play, I just can't believe what they made Clover wear in this game. I keep thinking it's part of the plot to be explained later, because who would leave the house like that?
Ugh, reminds me of Lotus. The explanation that she "just likes to dress like that" in one of the interviews left a bad taste in my moth.
Well, she did say she wanted to be more like Alice...
And why does she dress like that? Seems unprofessional. :p

Mr. Fix

Ugh, reminds me of Lotus. The explanation that she "just likes to dress like that" in one of the interviews left a bad taste in my moth.

And why does she dress like that? Seems unprofessional. :p

That's the point. The harder it is to guess her profession, the better. I always assumed this applied to the both of them.
I agree about Lotus though.

IrishNinja

speaking of Alas, she & Phido aren't letting me open the secret safe, they just wanna leave the crew quarters already...this sucks! how do i go back & get my secret stuff?

ah nevermind, just warped back to get it

You know what?! I think this might be my favourite videogame franchise at the moment...anyone else feel that the more time passes the more you appreciate this game and 999?

I mean don’t get me wrong, I loved them both the minute I started playing them, but looking back at all the games I’ve played...these two stick out. They’re so damn memorable!

Top Bottom