• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward |OT| -- More Hours, More Persons, More Doors

So after 22 hours I finally got a proper ending D: as in, one that fills in a question mark on the save screen and has a credits roll.

It was the Dio end. Finally the game is starting to get interesting! It took long enough... I mean I have been enjoying the game a lot, but it's been pretty slow in general. 999 was a lot more consistently exciting.

Regardless, I look forward to getting more proper endings! Are they all pretty great?
And do they all kind of start coming all at once? Because at 22 hrs in and only one proper ending, I feel like things should wrap up fairly soon, but there's still so much more left to do.

Going to start the middle branch now.

Yep, Dio ending was my first as well! As mind freaked as you feel now, it gets so much crazier! So, yes, it's about to get more exciting. Enjoy every moment as it goes quicker now! ;__;

I believe I was around 22 hours at my first ending too. Some endings are obviously better than others. Two in my opinion are god tier. with one having a song play that made me tear up. So good.

Mistle

I've been assuming from early in the game that they're on the
moon
, and the very end of Dio's end somewhat fuelled my suspicions.

Nobody give me hints though! lol

protonion

I'm about to start my second playthrough.
Is there a way to play it without jumping that much between routes? It was somewhat overwhelming the first time. I kept forgetting what happened when.

I'm about to start my second playthrough.
Is there a way to play it without jumping that much between routes? It was somewhat overwhelming the first time. I kept forgetting what happened when.

The only actual way is to know beforehand which routes aren't blocked... And that's actually spoilery!
By second playthrough you mean you finished the game once (with true ending and such?)

protonion

The only actual way is to know beforehand which routes aren't blocked... And that's actually spoilery!
By second playthrough you mean you finished the game once (with true ending and such?)

Yes I've seen everything. I just want to replay it with as little jumping as possible.

Yes I've seen everything. I just want to replay it with as little jumping as possible.

I see... Then do this:
Dio's Route, Clover's Route, K's route, Block of Quark's Route (necessary), Tenmyouji's Route, Alice's Route, Sigma's Route, Quark's Route, Luna's Route, Phi's route (with necessary game over). Voilà!

Nohar

Well well well... I discovered 999 two weeks ago. I heard a lot of great things about that game, so I wanted to try it. And, boy, was it a pleasant surprise ! I became very invested in the game. I loved the characters and the writing, and, well, let's just say that I was really pleased by the game overall (gosh, those endings).

So, naturally, I decided to order* a copy of Virtue's Last reward, even though I hadn't finished 999 yet. And, well, the timing was perfect : 999 finished yesterday, and my order just arrived this morning. Needless to say, I'm thrilled.

Anyhow, I went for the Cyan door (I mean, I couldn't let pass the opportunity to talk with that character, could I ?). Though, I guess I shouldn't have taken a look at the Flow chart... It kinda spoils the structure of the game (unless there are hidden paths, who knows ? And, no, I don't want an answer to that question).

Poor
Clover
, she just can't take a break... Assuming she really is
Clover
. I mean, we never know.

* "to place an order" ? Are both sentences valid ? Sorry, I'm not a native english speaker, so every now and then I get confused.

Nohar

Thank you :)

... I'm actually stuck in the Cyan room (and I feel like an idiot as a result). I have opened every locker, save for the one in room 1.
The clue inside the room is Circle, Star, Square, Triangle. On the poster, I managed to reveal the following number for each symbol : 1, 6, 8, 9. However, when I enter those when trying to unlock locker 1, I got the "Failed" message. I tried 8169, 6189 (the order stated when looking at the poster), 8169 (since room 1, left leg = 8 ; room 2, left arm = 1...), to no avail. I'm beginning to wonder if those numbers are the right ones at all for this locker (though it's the remaining one). I tried 2652, but of course this combinaison was only to unlock the tape case in the phone, allowing me to get the key for the locker in room 1.

... I must have missed something, but at this point I really don't know what. I'll try the phone again, I guess.

Edit : Aaaaand nevermind. It was
9861. I figured that one when I realized the triangle on the plate was upside down, revealing that the code was in fact told in reverse (mirror thingy).
I still feel like an idiot for not figuring that one quicker though.

Edit² : Holy guacamole, I obtained the password for the file, not the escape key ! Darn, I really did miss something.

Edit^3 : Better be safe than sorry. Added spoiler tags.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Thank you :)

... I'm actually stuck in the Cyan room (and I feel like an idiot as a result). I have opened every locker, save for the one in room 1.
The clue inside the room is Circle, Star, Square, Triangle. On the poster, I managed to reveal the following number for each symbol : 1, 6, 8, 9. However, when I enter those when trying to unlock locker 1, I got the "Failed" message. I tried 8169, 6189 (the order stated when looking at the poster), 8169 (since room 1, left leg = 8 ; room 2, left arm = 1...), to no avail. I'm beginning to wonder if those numbers are the right ones at all for this locker (though it's the remaining one). I tried 2652, but of course this combinaison was only to unlock the tape case in the phone, allowing me to get the key for the locker in room 1.

... I must have missed something, but at this point I really don't know what. I'll try the phone again, I guess.

Edit : Aaaaand nevermind. It was
9861. I figured that one when I realized the triangle on the plate was upside down, revealing that the code was in fact told in reverse (mirror thingy).
I still feel like an idiot for not figuring that one quicker though.

Edit² : Holy guacamole, I obtained the password for the file, not the escape key ! Darn, I really did miss something.

Edit^3 : Better be safe than sorry. Added spoiler tags.

Kinda...sorta. That's one of the more obtuse puzzles in the game IMO, I got the file first and got the key by sheer luck (well, a "what the hell, might as well try this" mentality)

Nohar

And now the locker is closed. Again. But of course the password doesn't work. Back to square one. At least I know I have to enter a new password. The question remains "Which one ?".

Edit : Found it. Those little monsters, that was vicious.

Edit² : First "AB" game results :
I'm disappointed in you, Alice... Really disappointed. This is the last time I choose to "Ally" with you.

Zero... Kisamaaaaaaa...

Nohar

Hehe. Oh well, it seems that
I ended up in a dead-end. I guess I missed an item, or that it's the "True ending" path that I can't unlock unless I do an other path first, like in 999. The way shown in the Flow chart seems to comfort my theory, since it's the longest one, though I guess it prooves nothing.
So, until I manage to unlock some endings, I can't say if I'm genre savvy, or wrong genre savvy here.

Well, at least I didn't end up stabbed this time. 999 kinda traumatized me when I got the 5th ending for the first time, and I'm not even talking about the others one... And now, as a result, I'm really wary of a particular character for that reason.

grim-tales

VLR has now arrived on my mat so will fire it up this evening! Can't wait!
Though I may replay 999 first.. no, maybe VLR then play 999 again afterwards :D

Nohar

Keep posting duder we feed off these reactions

Hehe ! Alright :D

Agreed. Just keep your saves in-between puzzle/novel sections just in case to avoid the 3DS bug.

Hmmm ? What 3DS bug ? Never heard about it.
*quick research* Found it. Oh **** :( Well, thank you very much for warning me: I save very often, it was guaranteed that I would trigger the bug if not warned. Once again, thank you ! Damn, this is going to be tedious...

Back on the game, who K may be ? Well, (spoilers related to 999, beware)
his behaviour reminds of Snake, to be honest. He doesn't lift his left arm, and he obviously can't remove his fake left arm this time, because of the armor (a precaution took by the (new?) Zero ?). He also was in Clover's room.
And, well, the amnesia excuse is a little fishy : last time someone did that (999),
it was suggested during the True ending that he was faking it all along.

grim-tales

I know this is probably a stupid question thats been answered before (I'm sorry) but whats the best way/place to start VLR off on the chart? Shall I just try anything?

Nohar

It's like 999 : every path will give you more data (and will raise more questions). Just try the path you want.

Also, be careful about the bug mentionned above. I didn't encounter it (yet), but better be safe than sorry. Long-story short : save only during Novel segments, and NEVER save when you're in the PEC room, or a novel section linked to it. And even in these conditions you're not guaranteed to escape the bug. Really nasty. If you want to be extra-safe, don't save in ANY Puzzle rooms AT. ALL.

I know this is probably a stupid question thats been answered before (I'm sorry) but whats the best way/place to start VLR off on the chart? Shall I just try anything?

Yep, pick any path that sounds great. I believe I picked the Cyan door first. Let us know which you pick and keep us updated!

SxP

I liked the nod to 999 with the PEC Room puzzle
with you giving Clover instructions from the other side of a glass window. Though obviously it wasn't as elaborate as it was in 999.

Nohar

Stuck in Gaulem Bay:
I need to use the Detergent, but it doesn't seem that the characters accept to take one of those perfectly clean white jackets in the lockers. And the rough sketch of the room lead me nowhere. And the combined block star won't go into the wall. Grblbl. And I don't like the look of Terminator just laying there, waiting for the perfect occasion to "terminate" me. Yup, my imagination is going wild, but you know what they say: "Red eyes, take warning".

Stuck in Gaulem Bay:
I need to use the Detergent, but it doesn't seem that the characters accept to take one of those perfectly clean white jackets in the lockers. And the rough sketch of the room lead me nowhere. And the combined block star won't go into the wall. Grblbl. And I don't like the look of Terminator just laying there, waiting for the perfect occasion to "terminate" me. Yup, my imagination is going wild, but you know what they say: "Red eyes, take warning".

Did you check
the drawers? I think there are some important things there.

About the first choice. Some people suggest to stay away from the Cyan path at first, but I did it first and I loved it!
Let's say most people choose either Magenta or Cyan
Why go into a door with an old man like me?
But really, it's up to you! Either path is fine!

Nohar

Did you check
the drawers? I think there are some important things there.

Thank you ! Found them ! Gee, we really need to tap everywhere on the screen. Oh well, this should solve my problems. Once again, thanks.
Edit : Oh crap.
Terminator invasion.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Finally got a hold of this game!! (caught a deal for the 3DS-version on amazon uk for £16 - what a deal). Can't wait to begin opening doors, lol.

If it's half as good as 999, then I'll be pleased!

No save in puzzle room still applies, right?

Nohar

Like I said a few posts earlier : yup, don't save in puzzle rooms, and don't save in the PEC room (doesn't matter if you're in it for a Puzzle or Novel section : DON'T save in it).

Safer (well, for all we know) save option : right before goind through a door, and/or in the hangar.

The Technomancer

Did they release a second run with bugfizes perhaps? I got mine at Christmas and I saved in puzzle rooms all the time and I never had a crash in the PEC room. Only crash I had was one single time in the Archives.

Nohar

Did they release a second run with bugfizes perhaps? I got mine at Christmas and I saved in puzzle rooms all the time and I never had a crash in the PEC room. Only crash I had was one single time in the Archives.

If they did, they never said a word about it (as far as I know).

So... What is the password (or rather, what are the passwords)... Gaulem Bay puzzle :
BEACONOSFNOE didn't work (glowing eyes), nor REMINICEHCEP did (blank eyes). So, I'm currently entering some combinaison in reverse etc.
I'll figure it out eventually I guess.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Like I said a few posts earlier : yup, don't save in puzzle rooms, and don't save in the PEC room (doesn't matter if you're in it for a Puzzle or Novel section : DON'T save in it).

Safer (well, for all we know) save option : right before goind through a door, and/or in the hangar.

Thanks. It amazes me that they haven't released at patch for such a HUGE bug yet, though.

Nohar

Gaulem Bay puzzle:
Heh. BEACONOFHOPE. Still, I don't know the password for the golden file... Oh, nevermind, it's the blank eyes : Reminiscence.

Edit : It seems you quoted me right after I edited myself ^^

Edit²: Holy guacamole !
Terminator DID get up ! THE END OF THE WORLD IS NEAR !!!?!!! PLEASE SPARE ME SKYNET !

Jintor

Gaulem Bay puzzle:
Heh. BEACONOFHOPE. Still, I don't know the password for the golden file... Oh, nevermind, it's the blank eyes : Reminiscence.

Edit : It seems you quoted me right after I edited myself ^^

Edit²: Holy guacamole !
Terminator DID get up ! THE END OF THE WORLD IS NEAR !!!?!!! PLEASE SPARE ME SKYNET !

lolz

Finally got a hold of this game!! (caught a deal for the 3DS-version on amazon uk for £16 - what a deal). Can't wait to begin opening doors, lol.

If it's half as good as 999, then I'll be pleased!

No save in puzzle room still applies, right?

It's definitely half as good, probably about 80-90% to me. Still prefer the 2D to the 3D.

Just Sigma is just so damn boss. Phi is sexay too.

Nohar

Well... That was interesting (events following Gaulem Bay):
According to GOLEM, it seems once member of my party was replaced by one of his fellows. So there is a fake human among us.

Speculation about the identities of the members of the party (obviously, spoilers):
Phi seems to know things she shouldn't know. On top of that, she's quite agile, able to jump quite high. So, she may be an esper, able to access the morphogenic fields. Also, either she's a freakin' robot, either she's very athletic. She also could be a robot-esper, but that would be silly... Right ?

... And, well, Sigma could be the Robot. I mean, all things considered, that wouldn't be far-stretched. After all, after 999, I'm expecting this. I mean, the bottom screen vision is akin to what a cyborg would see, right ? I was wondering since the start of the game if this was an hint or something.

I guess that as long as I don't know when the switch occured, I can't be sure of anything.

Of course, I don't really want to know if my speculations are right or not.

Nohar

You're welcome :)

Semi-spoiler about the Flow chart :
YES ! The Flow doesn't reveal everything ! Oh God yes yes yes. It's still an interface spoiler, but at least I now know that some ways are hidden, and that I won't unlock them until I manage to reach and get past some [?] boxes. YEEES.

That little joy put aside, I'm still very wary of the bug... Oh well. I reached the
Security Room
. I hope that I'll find something interesting here. Though, I don't expect this path to end well at all. After all,
people are dropping like flies: Alice died, Luna died, Quark, Tenji and Clover may have died at this point too... Brrrr.

The Technomancer

You're welcome :)

Semi-spoiler about the Flow chart :
YES ! The Flow doesn't reveal everything ! Oh God yes yes yes. It's still an interface spoiler, but at least I now know that some ways are hidden, and that I won't unlock them until I manage to reach and get past some [?] boxes. YEEES.

That little joy put aside, I'm still very wary of the bug... Oh well. I reached the
Security Room
. I hope that I'll find something interesting here. Though, I don't expect this path to end well at all. After all,
people are dropping like flies: Alice died, Luna died, Quark, Tenji and Clover may have died at this point too... Brrrr.

Yeah, that screwed me up once. I thought I'd knock out a quick ending before bed, ended up taking me like four hours.

Nohar

I really like that this game offers harder puzzles than 999, which I found to be far too easy. This is a nice change (or it means that I got dumber... Naaaaah).

Just solved the
Security room
puzzle. I was stuck for 5min before I realized that
when they were saying that some words should be erased, I had to switch their screens off.
Anyhow, here comes the next novel section...
I'm half-expecting to run into Clover with a bloody axe in hand.

grim-tales

Solved most of the
elevator puzzles
which were easier than I thought they'd be
All I had to do was count the babies and old people - is that all?! The maze was fairly simple as well, but I havent escaped yet - WTF are the sun, moon and star symbols about?

It just doesnt seem as.. well, tense as 999 so far but Sigma reminds me of Junpei in some ways when he's sarky.
I dont mind the Japanese voices but would have liked the option of American voices (or turn them off). Most times I can read faster than text appears and I noticed that
the girl says she's friendly, maybe she is but she sounds serious to me, maybe I'm just not to Japanese voices

Nohar

Memento Mori... Memento Mori... Memento Mori... *scratchs his head*

Memento Mori.
If the nineth Lion ate the sun...
Nohar is mumbling to himself, like a madman, and suddenly grabs a pen.

Ok sweety, time to decipher your true meaning. Daddy needs his password... Geez, I'm not good with anagrams in my birth langage, how I am expected to guess that one ? Oh well, less complaining, more deciphering.

Chairhome

Memento Mori... Memento Mori... Memento Mori... *scratchs his head*

Memento Mori.
If the nineth Lion ate the sun...
Nohar is mumbling to himself, like a madman, and suddenly grabs a pen.

Ok sweety, time to decipher your true meaning. Daddy needs his password... Geez, I'm not good with anagrams in my birth langage, how I am expected to guess that one ? Oh well, less complaining, more deciphering.

Don't waste your time trying to decipher it, you won't be able to do that just yet.

grim-tales

Also Zero III's voice is just brilliant :D I only have the Japanese voices but for some reason I find myself reading out the subtitles out loud and giving Zero III a wacky/funny voice in English, its hilarious :D

Nohar

Don't waste your time trying to decipher it, you won't be able to do that just yet.

Aaaawwww man :( Oh well, I went as far as
NINE LIONS AT THE, leaving the letters IFTHETHEUN... And well, I'm stuck there. I guess it wasn't going to be that easy.

Edit : Raaah, "TO BE CONTINUED" again ?!

Well... That was interesting (events following Gaulem Bay):
According to GOLEM, it seems once member of my party was replaced by one of his fellows. So there is a fake human among us.

Speculation about the identities of the members of the party (obviously, spoilers):
Phi seems to know things she shouldn't know. On top of that, she's quite agile, able to jump quite high. So, she may be an esper, able to access the morphogenic fields. Also, either she's a freakin' robot, either she's very athletic. She also could be a robot-esper, but that would be silly... Right ?

... And, well, Sigma could be the Robot. I mean, all things considered, that wouldn't be far-stretched. After all, after 999, I'm expecting this. I mean, the bottom screen vision is akin to what a cyborg would see, right ? I was wondering since the start of the game if this was an hint or something.

I guess that as long as I don't know when the switch occured, I can't be sure of anything.

Of course, I don't really want to know if my speculations are right or not.

Ahahahaha, that was my first path. It's the only one that I found very "999-ey" with the
clunkily-inserted info dumps and beaucoup dead people
It also got me going deep
Blade Runner during much of the middle of the game. "That woman is a replicant! No, THAT MAN is a replicant, no THAT MAN is a replicant...I'M A REPLICANT!!!!!"
Good times.

Jintor

The game is really structured so you get a bang-bang-bang-bang-bang of ending after ending near the end of the game

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The game is really structured so you get a bang-bang-bang-bang-bang of ending after ending near the end of the game

Since I did just this a little while ago be warned that if you go from the point where you have a handful of things unlocked and rush to the end it'll still take you eight hours or so.

Top Bottom