• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward |OT| -- More Hours, More Persons, More Doors

Nohar

Since I did just this a little while ago be warned that if you go from the point where you have a handful of things unlocked and rush to the end it'll still take you eight hours or so.

... I'm going to love this game.

As long as my save is not screwed. I really don't like having a sword of Damoclès above my head.

... I'm going to love this game.

As long as my save is not screwed. I really don't like having a sword of Damoclès above my head.

Oh, woe is me. My life is a misery ;)

Don't rush it! Take your time. It took me over 30 hours and enjoyed every minute. Let the plot set in, give it good thought, because it blows your mind quite often. xD

Also Zero III's voice is just brilliant :D I only have the Japanese voices but for some reason I find myself reading out the subtitles out loud and giving Zero III a wacky/funny voice in English, its hilarious :D

Rabbit's English voice is superior.

Yo...Wazzup...Siggy, Phido!

Mistle

I have refused to listen to the English dub, only because I don't want to start missing it :p
I am perfectly content with the Japanese voices, but it's most likely because I haven't yet been exposed to a comparison. After I finish the game I'll probably watch a few Youtube videos and see what they were like.

It's a shame PAL got a bit screwed over in that regard. Can NTSC copies choose to use Japanese voices?

I have refused to listen to the English dub, only because I don't want to start missing it :p
I am perfectly content with the Japanese voices, but it's most likely because I haven't yet been exposed to a comparison. After I finish the game I'll probably watch a few Youtube videos and see what they were like.

It's a shame PAL got a bit screwed over in that regard. Can NTSC copies choose to use Japanese voices?

Yeah, I guess the cost of licensing the english over there would have been cost prohibited to release it there, so No english is better than no game.

Definitely watch some videos of the dub, The only voices I dislike are Quark and Clover. Zero III winning bestest voice.

Oh, and yes, NTSC can pick English or Japanese. I've recommended some friends just importing that one as it's region free.

Ikkarus

I got this through the post this week and started playing it from yesterday, loving it so far. I am already sucked in to the story and all of the characters I have met so far seem interesting.

I completed the 1st dungeon and now moved on to the next, I went with the cyan door for the 2nd, I just finished up that dungeon now and had to save before I opened the door because I had to go to bed! Grr.

Looking forward to picking it back up again!

I got this through the post this week and started playing it from yesterday, loving it so far. I am already sucked in to the story and all of the characters I have met so far seem interesting.

I completed the 1st dungeon and now moved on to the next, I went with the cyan door for the 2nd, I just finished up that dungeon now and had to save before I opened the door because I had to go to bed! Grr.

Looking forward to picking it back up again!

So glad you're enjoying it! As has been mentioned, take your time with the game, absorb everything. It's a very enjoyable ride that ends too quickly and leaves you wanting more.

Oh, and *fist bump* for Team Cyan Door! Was my first one too. ;)

Nohar

*laugh* It seems nearly everyone took cyan door first.

Oh well. Time to play the game again.

Also, K, in the Rec Room ? Hilarious.

grim-tales

I completed the
Elevator Puzzle
YES!
I got a silver file for some reason for entering a password, I thought the difficulty was set to Hard not Easy by default? Crap :(
Still the puzzles were easier than I thought!
I liked the Mark Twain quote on the poster of old people and babies :D

grim-tales

Yeah, I guess the cost of licensing the english over there would have been cost prohibited to release it there, so No english is better than no game.

Definitely watch some videos of the dub, The only voices I dislike are Quark and Clover. Zero III winning bestest voice.

Oh, and yes, NTSC can pick English or Japanese. I've recommended some friends just importing that one as it's region free.

Only for Vita though, I had the 3DS version so had to cope with region locking :D
I do like the way Zero III's subs are written - "I'll be WAAAAIIIIITING!" :D But later I'll try and check some videos of the other dub.

SxP

I have to say, the Japanese voices have grown on me. I looked everywhere for an option to turn them off in the first hour, but now I don't mind that much anymore. Would still prefer to turn them off though.

Only for Vita though, I had the 3DS version so had to cope with region locking :D
I do like the way Zero III's subs are written - "I'll be WAAAAIIIIITING!" :D But later I'll try and check some videos of the other dub.

Yep, wish 3DS was region free. Would have enjoyed the dual screens like 999, but because this was multiplat, the emphasis wasn't thrown on it as much. It just worked out that I got this for Vita, and was actually the first Vita game I played. Loved the crisp graphics!

I'll probably want to play this again 6 months from now, so I'll look to pick it up when I get my 3DSXL.

Nohar

Well, I got my first ending :
The Dio Ending.

... That was weird. And kinda depressing.

My different playthroughs shot down my theory about
K's identity (well, I've just begun the game after all). My theory about Phi still stands, though I have to revised my other theory about who Sigma is (or, at least, what he's capable off). It's pretty obvious now that both characters can make "jumps" and experiment different timelines. I'm not quite sure this is the same deal as 999 : is that the use or morphogenic fields, or something else ?...

Well, I got my first ending :
The Dio Ending.

... That was weird. And kinda depressing.

My different playthroughs shot down my theory about
K's identity (well, I've just begun the game after all). My theory about Phi still stands, though I have to revised my other theory about who Sigma is (or, at least, what he's capable off). It's pretty obvious now that both characters can make "jumps" and experiment different timelines. I'm not quite sure this is the same deal as 999 : is that the use or morphogenic fields, or something else ?...

Awesome! The
Dio ending
was my first as well. With as mind freaked as you are now, it's nothing compared to what you're in store for!

What was your theory
on K's identity? I love hearing the thoughts of others during the game!
Also, if you really must know,
of course the Morphogenetic fields are in play, but exactly how, or by whom, that's for you to find out. Oh, and it's far more than just the MF's as well. So happy hunting. :)

Yay black bars.

grim-tales

Can I switch the setting to Hard again if I want at some point, I dont get why it was set to Easy (even though the game itself said it was on Hard?)

Lusankya

Can I switch the setting to Hard again if I want at some point, I dont get why it was set to Easy (even though the game itself said it was on Hard?)

Yes, you can switch any time. It's a bug in the 3ds version that the first escape room somehow sets the default setting to easy. So for the gold file you have to redo it later.

Whoa, Nohar is feeding my lust for reactions.
Did you notice?
When you finish 999/VLR there's NOTHING more appealing than someone playing the game for the first time...
The saddest thing in life is that you can't repeat the feeling of awe and mindfuck you felt the first time and so you use other people to relive those feelings.
Yes, dear guys, you're feeding us... You're giving us what we crave the most.
Go on playing... Go on... yessss...
nvVCb.gif

grim-tales

Yes, you can switch any time. It's a bug in the 3ds verison that the first escape room somehow set the default setting to easy. So for the gold file you have to redo it later.

Cheers :D

Just seen a part when K is shown to the group for the first time, and Phi said something...
She reckons that Zero is one of the group, or at least implied it - sound familliar? :D K intrigues me... and how the hell did Clover get into the Game a 3RD TIME?!?

Nohar

Go on playing... Go on... yessss...

I get what you're feeling, but you're a tiny bit scary ^^ Hehe.

Cheers :D

and how the hell did Clover get into the Game a 3RD TIME?!?

I guess the poor girl is just that unlucky. Also, I have to admit I don't really like her relooking at all.

*sigh* And I'm stuck in the Infirmary. I got the Escape password, but I can't seem to be able to guess the right password for the drawer, and I really want to Gold file... Urg. I can pick up again the Plaid Fabric, but I can't seem to be able to do anything else with it.

Edit : Ah, finally !
Clover
spills the bins a little about the past if we choose the yellow door. Though, the most important thing is that I finally know when VLR takes place :
1 year after 999
. I had my doubts until that point (though, still, 2028... Something is bothering me with that date).

I get what you're feeling, but you're a tiny bit scary ^^ Hehe.

I guess the poor girl is just that unlucky. Also, I have to admit I don't really like her relooking at all.

*sigh* And I'm stuck in the Infirmary. I got the Escape password, but I can't seem to be able to guess the right password for the drawer, and I really want to Gold file... Urg. I can pick up again the Plaid Fabric, but I can't seem to be able to do anything else with it.

Edit : Ah, finally !
Clover
spills the bins a little about the past if we choose the yellow door. Though, the most important thing is that I finally know when VLR takes place : 1 year after 999. I had my doubts until this point (though, still, 2028... Something is bothering me with that date).

I downright hate the gold file password for the infirmary!!!!
Hint:
try and mentally apply the fabric to something else... Uhmmm...
It's REALLY hard, mind...

EDIT: Well, 999 took place in 2027, all regular here! :D

Nohar, when did you start playing this? Sounds like you're going at a blistering pace! Take it easy, look around, enjoy things for a while. ;D

I simply don't know some people finished this in less than a week xD

Nohar

Hmmm... Here comes spoilers from nearly all MAGENTA Door paths (and some infos from the Yellow one). So, obviously, unless you cleared every path behind the MAGENTA door (not including the
blocked paths
), don't read this :

So, I just learned that Quark couldn't understand what Tenji and I were talking about because we were "talking too fast". Quark is always the first one to be contaminated with Radical-6. His meltdown happens pretty quickly afterward.

The worrying part is that Sigma, during one of the Green door path, felt the same thing as Quark. If I put 2 and 2 together, it's pretty obvious that Sigma was contaminated at some point with the Radical-9 virus (and may still be during the Dio ending, which would obviously lead to a downer ending, in retrospect).

Well, that shot down my theory about Sigma being a freakin' robot.
I'm still wary of a potential Terminator, though.

That put aside, in the Green Door path, we know that Dio killed the "Old lady" (who may or may not be Tenji's wife/friend/sister/what have you). Though, he insisted he didn't kill Luna or Alice (nevermind the fact that it's his knife which was the killer weapon in Alice and Old lady murders). Clover obviously didn't kill Luna... I hope. I can never be sure after what could happen in 999. That leaves K, if Dio is telling the truth, that is... But afterwards, everyone died (and K's was axed, and not by Clover, since she was already dead at that point), leaving only Phi and Sigma as the sole survivors... And, well, Quark, who's MIA.

@TheBatman: Well, I got a lot of free time in my hands, that helps ^^ This won't be the case in the next following days though, so my pace will automatically slow down.

Edit : Oh God. I meant the Magenta one. Please tell me nobody got spoiled.

Edit² : Oh no. I'm in the dreaded PEC room. Please don't crash, please don't crash, please don't crash...

SxP

I downright hate the gold file password for the infirmary!!!!.

Is there a way to legitimately deduce that on hard? I just looked it up and that guide said that you'll get any kind of clue about what you're supposed to do on easy and that it's impossible to figure out on hard (except by trial and error).

Is there a way to legitimately deduce that on hard? I just looked it up and that guide said that you'll get any kind of clue about what you're supposed to do on easy and that it's impossible to figure out on hard (except by trial and error).

Well, it SEEMS there's a logic behind it, but it's really far-fetched...
I mean, I put my game on easy a couple of other times, but I knew more or less what I had to do.
Here I was completely floating in nothingness...

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

For the Infirmary? That was one of the easier gold files for me to get actually, I just naturally figured out what other way I could interpret the information I had. The password for the Crew Quarters on the other hand...I just tried it on a whim and was completely surprised it worked.

Nohar

Just got out of the PEC room... But not before my game crashed. During a puzzle, if you happen to go "Back" and then retry it, the game will automatically crash (like it did with me). If you happen to save during said puzzle, your save is toasted, if the comments on GameFaq are any indications.

So, I did this puzzle room again, with a walkthrough. No shame in cheating in this case : I really didn't want to re-do this room over again and again and again. I just really hope that I won't encounter an another crash, and that my save will be safe.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Just got out of the PEC room... But not before my game crashed. During a puzzle, if you happen to go "Back" and then retry it, the game will automatically crash (like it did with me). If you happen to save during said puzzle, your save is toasted, if the comments on GameFaq are any indications.

So, I did this puzzle room again, with a walkthrough. No shame in cheating in this case : I really didn't want to re-do this room over again and again and again. I just really hope that I won't encounter an another crash, and that my save will be safe.

Be careful in the Archives as well, thats where the only crash that I ever got happened.

Nohar

Thank you for the advice !

... Ok, things are gettin' a little worrysome here (novel section after PEC room)... What. The. Heck.

Vibed

Can't wait till you get the ending on that path, it was my first ending and a personal favorite of mine. Note: to get past the story lock (no spoilers)
go down the Red door path. Go back down the Blue door path and it will be unlocked.

Also, the door I took the first time was Yellow. I went down all possible paths there and felt like I figured out 90% of the big plot twists in doing so. Following that Magenta offered a few new twists, but Cyan told me everything I already knew.

Nohar

Oh... Path Yellow + Blue (Ally-Ally) :

Well, it seems that Alice is Lotus's expy. She will die in all paths unless it's the true ending one I guess.

The notable change here is Clover yelling "I'm going to kill every last one of you bastards!". I am sooooooooooooooo gettin' axed at the end of that path.

Edit : Oh, COME ON ! To be continued, again again ?! This was getting interesting !!!
@Vibed : I'll avoid your spoiler tag sentence for the time being ^^

Vibed

Bu-bu-bu-but I want you to see that ending you just detailed as soon as possible! ;_; It's just instructions on what path to take, a small detour.

It's mah fav.

Nohar

Hehe. I want to see it too, but I'd rather avoid "cheating" (well, what I would consider to be cheating) with the endings and "keys" to unlock them. So I'll unlock it the old fashioned way : trial and error (and a lot of time and patience).

But as soon as I can unlock it, you can be sure I'll do it :)

Nohar

@Vibed: Well, the "small detour" that I needed to take was quickly unlocked, and thus I unlocked the path we talked about earlier :D I'll do it... Later. Right now, it's kind of 1:00AM, I need to sleep.

Also, just a few words about Dio (spoilers paths Yellow) :
YOU F*****' BASTARD ! THAT BLACKMAIL WITH THE AXLEVIR AND QUARK'S LIFE ? I'M GONNA SMASH YOUR HEAD WITH A PICKAXE !!!

grim-tales

Well I finally got the long Ambidex Game explanation out of the way! Phew!
I wonder who K is? Maybe he's a robot or something? Not sure I like Clover's new design, its only a year after 999 and she looks like a lapdancer.
The guy in the magicians hat reminds me of Santa somehow

Well I finally got the long Ambidex Game explanation out of the way! Phew!
I wonder who K is? Maybe he's a robot or something? Not sure I like Clover's new design, its only a year after 999 and she looks like a lapdancer.
The guy in the magicians hat reminds me of Santa somehow

You playing on 3DS or Vita? and on Japanese or English?

K is K. It may be revealed, might not ;)
Clover is more meh in this game for sure. Also,
Dio reminds you of Santa? What brought you to that, just curious.

Dio's attitude is really similar to Santa's! He drops the F word quite frequently!
And K... Oh, boy, do I love K! Do I love EVERYTHING about K!
Don't make me say anything! Find out by yourself!

Dio's attitude is really similar to Santa's! He drops the F word quite frequently!
And K... Oh, boy, do I love K! Do I love EVERYTHING about K!
Don't make me say anything! Find out by yourself!

This is in response to Purple, so all of you who haven't 100%, you've been warned ;)

Yep, that's about all I could come up with, maybe the hot-headedness as well. K is cool, although he was a bit of a lying dick in some of the endings. Leaving through the door, claiming he'd go get help. came off bad to me! Although who doesn't love him on the Zero the 3rd ride. lol

grim-tales

I'm playing on 3DS, in Japanese :) One thing I find annoying is the text sometimes moves v-e-r-y slowly to keep up with the speech, and other times it moves at normal speed (which is fine).
Dunno why Dio seems like Santa to me, maybe its just because he's outspoken, not forgetting his swearing. :D I'm surprised the "Zero is one of us" thing was touted so early on in the game, now I just have 999 in my mind and maybe this was planned in advance...
Then again, maybe thats what they WANT me to think....

Nohar

I just had a look of the picture Tenji was carrying with him.

Well, it seems that one of my hypothesis just got confirmed. Two, in fact. Heck, 3. Double-heck, let's just say a whole train of hypothesis.

Do not highligh the following spoiler unless you already have done the following path:
Yellow, Ally, Blue, Ally + Unlock path
. Huge spoilers :

Tenji carries with him a picture of Akane. Since he's been looking for her for a long time, and since it seems that she was his first love, it's pretty obvious that Tenji is Junpei. I read somewhere that "Word of God" said that they didn't meet again after decades. Well, it seems to be the case.
Junpei, you became a cool old man. And I thought you were the least interesting character when I began the game. Please forgive me.

This doesn't end here. The old lady is, by default, June. That would explain Tenji/Junpei's reaction.

Thus, we can't possibly be in 2028. Everyone probably got cryogenized at some point (with their bodies being numb and so on), and the Axlevir wasn't created after a few decades.

And, if K's story, which he told us in the lounge in one path, is anything to go by... Oh dear.

Oh, and we're perhaps on Mars. Help.

... Waaaaaaaiiiiiiiiit a minute. If June is the old lady... Who and where the fuck is Santa ?

Of course, there's still the possibility that it's a massive mindfuck and that the story-telling is playing with what 999 players know... But still...

I just had a look of the picture Tenji was carrying with him.

Well, it seems that one of my hypothesis just got confirmed. Two, in fact. Heck, 3. Double-heck, let's just say a whole train of hypothesis.

Do not highligh the following spoiler unless you already have done the following path:
Yellow, Ally, Blue, Ally + Unlock path
. Huge spoilers :

Tenji carries with him a picture of Akane. Since he's been looking for her for a long time, and since it seems that she was his first love, it's pretty obvious that Tenji is Junpei. I read somewhere that "Word of God" said that they didn't meet again after decades. Well, it seems to be the case.
Junpei, you became a cool old man. And I thought you were the least interesting character when I began the game. Please forgive me.

This doesn't end here. The old lady is, by default, June. That would explain Tenji/Junpei's reaction.

Thus, we can't possibly be in 2028. Everyone probably got cryogenized at some point (with their bodies being numb and so on), and the Axlevir wasn't created after a few decades.

And, if K's story, which he told us in the lounge in one path, is anything to go by... Oh dear.

Oh, and we're perhaps on Mars. Help.

... Waaaaaaaiiiiiiiiit a minute. If June is the old lady... Who and where the fuck is Santa ?

Of course, there's still the possibility that it's a massive mindfuck and that the story-telling is playing with what 999 players know... But still...

and boom goes the dynamite :D

Also
You're almost there, but not quite. Absorb everything from now on. Also, make sure you've been getting the gold files. Oh, and I <3 Snake.

Top Bottom