• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward |OT| -- More Hours, More Persons, More Doors

Love 999 so much that I just bought a second copy of the game from PSN so i could play it this weekend and not worry about the save/crashing bugs on my 3DS copy.

ugh, feel like Aksys doesn't even deserve my money letting the game go out in the state it did

UberTag

If I finish one path, do you guys use the path button to see the other options you could take? Am I supposed to start from the very beginning? I don't want to miss anything.
It's really up to you how you approach the different ending paths.

I initially started with the "Ally with Luna all the Time" path under the mistaken impression that it would be the shortest. Then the game decided to adjust the flowchart on me and
make it into a "To Be Continued" cliffhanger
so I was left feeling unfulfilled.

Then, I decided to go into completist mode and finish all of the remaining paths under her flowchart.

I felt really bad about betraying her given that she's been such a pacifist (so far) in never voting betray when polled. Laura really lays the guilt on thick with her voice delivery so that you really feel like a schmuck for doing so afterwards.

Apart from a couple unresolved loose ends and one credit sequence that felt like an unresolved loose end (Dio),
I've now moved on to to the Tenmyouji paths. Hoping to make a big dent on this over the weekend.

Is it me, or does the watch constantly fall off? The clip seems pretty flimsy.
You must have a heart murmur or something. You should get that looked at by a doctor.

dvolovets

I finished (and loved!) 999 over a year ago and forgot most of the plot details. Is there a short plot summary out there somewhere that I can read before diving into Virtue's Last Reward?

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Amazon VLR GET!

As I start the game, I see a menu option named "Arch". Inside, it has different tabs of info. Where are the gold files stored so I know to avoid them, like Kagari said? Is it just the stuff under "File"?

Thanks!

UberTag

Amazon VLR GET!

As I start the game, I see a menu option named "Arch". Inside, it has different tabs of info. Where are the gold files stored so I know to avoid them, like Kagari said?
They're in the Secrets tab. Just ignore those and feel free to look at everything else.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Love 999 so much that I just bought a second copy of the game from PSN so i could play it this weekend and not worry about the save/crashing bugs on my 3DS copy.

ugh, feel like Aksys doesn't even deserve my money letting the game go out in the state it did
Is this a big issue? I'm still trying to decide which platform to purchase the game for.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
6tXa1.gif
Skip Function

Is this a big issue? I'm still trying to decide which platform to purchase the game for.
Likely so considering there's a thread about it.

MooMoo

So I'd say I'm about halfway done with the entire game and my biggest criticism by far is the puzzles. Some of them require some....abnormal leaps of logic. Retrospectively the solutions make sense, but that doesn't really account for much. I didn't have this hard of a time in 999 (although that might also be because it's a shorter game with a lot of the puzzle being repeats). I also find it annoying that with the puzzles I do have issues with, it's often the solution to the gold file that I get first rather than the solution to leave the room (should be the other way around :p).

My second critique is the music. I wish there was an option to boost the BGM; I think a lot of the atmosphere is lost because of the VA overshadowing it. That's not to say the VA is bad in any way, but it definitely produces a different effect than 999 did.

Busaiku

You could easily lose hours, like I did.
Even if you don't save in the PEC room, your game can still crash.
You can still use your file though, but again, it could be a bit of time wasted if you don't save all the time.

Also the game can also crash even when it's not related to the PEC room.
For instance, I had finished some sequence, saved and hit quit, and then I got kicked out of the game.
Thankfully nothing happened to my system or the save, so I don't think it's a big issue with this though, but I don't remember which sequence I saved after.

Busaiku

You don't save enough if you lose hours.

Well, it's never been a problem until that stupid PEC room.
I usually save after I complete a novel/puzzle sequence.

And I didn't know when the PEC room was coming up anyways, and since I had a lot of battery at the time, I figured I would've just gone through it, saved, and called it a day.
But no...

Halp!

I'm stuck
on this stupid dice puzzle. I got the bookmark which landed me the gold file. I did the ink + music box thing too that gave me the string of die faces. I've lined them up exactly as shown and...nothing happened.

What do I do? :(

Edit: Nevermind. I think i realized what to do. I'm stupid.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I've only done his, Clover's, and Tenmyouji's, and the latter is probably tied for being just as "o.0" once I put all the pieces together.

Vibed

The Treatment Center, ugh.

Can someone please explain to me why
The board game starts on L and not T? I got stuck forever because of this. (Got stuck even longer because I hadn't gotten the memory cards, but that was my fault.)

Watch Da Birdie

I'm redoing the Crew Quarters for the Gold Archive, and I found out you can type in phone numbers on the phone for little jokes...

I know 5309 and 6969 work. Anyone found anything else?

Watch Da Birdie

Some of them are given to you a little bit earlier than they ideally should. They can easily spoil plot points that you haven't been told before you got there.

I noticed that too (or spoil stuff from later routes you haven't done), but I thought personally putting the Secrets together and guessing plot points was part of the fun (and why the Gold Files are usually harder than the normal password)

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Some of them are given to you a little bit earlier than they ideally should. They can easily spoil plot points that you haven't been told before you got there.
Oh, ok. So is there a rule of thumb for when you can read them? Like wait 1 novel section then read, or should I just not read any of them until I finish the game?

Noi

Oh, ok. So is there a rule of thumb for when you can read them? Like wait 1 novel section then read, or should I just not read any of them until I finish the game?

The latter, haha. It definitely wouldn't be as bad if the files didn't have background pictures that you can usually use to link the characters with that the file itself is talking about.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
The latter, haha. It definitely wouldn't be as bad if the files didn't have background pictures that you can usually use to link the characters with that the file itself is talking about.
Yep. Just wait until you finish the game.

Question about 999! Just got my first ending (spoilers).

Keep in mind I have not seen what is behind either of the #9 doors yet, so please don't spoil anything for me. I got stabbed by whoever stole Lotus's bracelet. Why is it significant at all that there are two #9 doors in the last room? Hasn't it been established throughout the game that the same door can be opened more than once? Such as the door Guy 9 exploded behind, and the door Snake exploded behind. I just don't understand Jumpy's thought process a lot of the time. Somewhat frustrating.

Volcynika

Someone give me a helpful push for the Pantry.

The puzzle where you input something to do with the calendar......I have no idea where to begin.

Noi

Someone give me a helpful push for the Pantry.

The puzzle where you input something to do with the calendar......I have no idea where to begin.

Imagine that the different food slots in the pantry wall are one gigantic calendar.

Busaiku

Ok, I'm stuck on the last PEC puzzle.
What the heck do I do with the 8?

Is there a hint I'm missing?
I've searched everything, but there's still 1 locker I can't open.

Noi

Ok, I'm stuck on the last PEC puzzle.
What the heck do I do with the 8?

Is there a hint I'm missing?
I've searched everything, but there's still 1 locker I can't open.

You're missing a key if you can't open a locker. Did you get the one from under the elevator switch?

Once you find it, You can trace the lines that make up the 8 to form the password numbers using the clues you find.

Busaiku

You're missing a key if you can't open a locker. Did you get the one from under the elevator switch?

Once you find it, You can trace the lines that make up the 8 to form the password numbers using the clues you find.

I got the color paper, that has the 6 colors on the 1st dot, 5 colors on the 2nd/3rd dot.
There's still a locked locker on the 1st floor, next to
where Sigma was sniffing "Clover's" pressure suit.

Noi

I got the color paper, that has the 6 colors on the 1st dot, 5 colors on the 2nd/3rd dot.
There's still a locked locker on the 1st floor, next to
where Sigma was sniffing "Clover's" pressure suit.

Oh,
you can't open the locked lockers on the upper floor, only the two on the basement floor with the pressurization room.

If you tap on any of the lines that make up the 8, you get a color. Trace the lines according to the colors given to you on the paper, and you'll get your password.

kiryogi

Banned
Wow now I crash right as I'm about to enter the code.... This is like game breaking. I can't even clear the room.

Akselius! Belarus! I demand an answer!!!

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Wow now I crash right as I'm about to enter the code.... This is like game breaking. I can't even clear the room.

Akselius! Belarus! I demand an answer!!!
Maybe they'll be able to put out a patch. Really unfortunate for those on 3DS.

Speaking of... probably going to order my copy of that soon.

Busaiku

Ok, I figured out the Escape Key part of the PEC puzzle by myself, but I had to look up further instructions for the Gold File part.
Seriously, that panel had
Yellow, not Green
. I'm pretty sure I'm not colorblind either, cause I saw the colors just fine on the 8.

pariah164

I feel bad, and yet the same time, incredibly thankful I made it through that room with no issues. I hard something about the Crew Quarters being a bit twitchy too...

Cody_D165

Banned
Hardly ever log into GAF but just to spread the word: I received a game save corruption but under different circumstances than the PEC room. My game save was lost after saving during the room called the "Crew's Quarters" with partners being Alice and Phi. I saved to take a break because I was stuck on one of the puzzles, came back and was greeted with the black screen of nothing. So I would avoid saving in ANY puzzle rooms...

Top Bottom