• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward |OT| -- More Hours, More Persons, More Doors

It's neat seeing some of the foreshadowing of future revelations; for instance (spoilers for path up to Lock 1)
Dio asks "What's the second way to get the bracelets off?" and Zero Jr. says "Come on, you already know that," because of course he did already know that, having utilized that method to obtain the bracelet he's wearing.

Related speculation:
So were Dio's orders to set the bombs?

Cbajd5

Paging Akselziys or any owner/players of 3DS version:

Pretty much, that should avoid the save corruption bug. The only other thing you need to worry about is the PEC room as a whole, but you should be safe if you don't do any excessive examining of the room. That's how I got the only crash I encountered, but even if you get a crash outside of saving it shouldn't corrupt your save.

bakedpony

I think the puzzles are better in VLR, and the voice acting and flow chart really improves the gameplay experience, but I like the cast and setting better in 999 (i mean, a ship that looks like the titanic versus a gigantic warehouse? No contest.). I think it is a tie.

One thing I loved in 999 was that at the beginning when
the 9th man got blown up and then the game describes in detail what the remains look like, it really set the tension up that the nonary game is serious business.
. I think VLR failed to match that amazing intro (for me anyway), but the game is still amazing! I haven't finished it yet so I can't say which I like better.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I feel like I'm missing something in the Archives:
I got the dice and made the bookshelf make steps to get the chip, then made a report which seems like a layout for the minigame there. I matched the numbers and nothing happened, so I weighed the dice and tried to open the lock with the mass and got 12,500 which is also doing nothing.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I feel like I'm missing something in the Archives:
I got the dice and made the bookshelf make steps to get the chip, then made a report which seems like a layout for the minigame there. I matched the numbers and nothing happened, so I weighed the dice and tried to open the lock with the mass and got 12,500 which is also doing nothing.

Remember the PEMDAS math rule. :p

TheExodu5

Banned
One thing I loved in 999 was that at the beginning when
the 9th man got blown up and then the game describes in detail what the remains look like, it really set the tension up that the nonary game is serious business.
. I think VLR failed to match that amazing intro (for me anyway), but the game is still amazing! I haven't finished it yet so I can't say which I like better.

Still pretty early in VLR, but I definitely agree on the opening. 999 really set an incredible pace from the get-go.

GSR

The Game Overs you can get by (lategame spoilers)
failing to defuse the bombs in Phi's route
are actually kind of sweet.

I actually recommend
playing the game overs there. The interactions between Phi and Sigma are some of my favorite in the game.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
By Game Overs do you mean the To Be Continued ones? I assume those are missable if you already met the unlock conditions on those paths.
The only sweet end I got was with the Phi hug right before we blew up, the same scene as in Sigma's flashback during Dio's end.
Was there something else I could've gotten too?

Just chiming in......the game is brilliant! I’m already sucked completely in.

Also, Zero’s voice acting is the best in videogame history. That is all! ^_^

Feep

Banned
Also, Zero’s voice acting is the best in videogame history. That is all! ^_^
This game in general is one of the all-around finest voice acting performances in video game history. A shame that only x-thousand people will ever hear it.

I wish I could turn off subtitles, actually. It draws into a scene much more when I don't have text to snatch my eyeline.

Edit: HOLY FUCK THE
SQUARE ROOT OF SIX
I SHOULD HAVE SEEN THIS

MATH

Still more to do!
K's ending..... damn. Also have clovers ending(Hhmmmmmm(gameover one pissed me off)), Tenmyouji's ending(neat), Dio(don't even know lol. Well I do a little now. Liked it), and I think that is it....... maybe.

AniHawk

wow. k's backstory.

crazy speculation:
we're doing some weird misdirection thing and it's not 2028 at all right now. k's 'mom' is june/akane and his dad is junpei.

Feep

Banned
Is that...is that the end?

MAJOR spoilers:

I was following the crazy timeline splits up until Kyle and Sigma apparently "traded", which I don't quite understand. Is it because Sigma tried and failed miserably? Why were Phi and Kyle "x-factors"? We don't get to see the 25th to the 31st? THIRD GAME?! Can I enter the spoiler thread now?

kiryogi

Banned
This is heavy doc.

Just cleared Luna's ending . . . Wow. I feel sooooooo bad for her. . .But the amount of revelations her ending has unveiled now is just insaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaane

So I think this is it. One final ending to go. What a fucking ride it's been.

Neverfade

I want to play this but I need to play 999 first. I've yet to touch it -- is there a quick, spoiler free guide to how to get the true ending?

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Well I got "To Be Continued..." on my first go through here. O: I guess I have to
Find out that user ID and password before I can see the actual ending for that.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Just wondering, anyone liking the OST?

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Is there any confirmed day of release for EU ?

Amazon UK suggests 16.11 ?

According to Rising Star Games' website....

In order to provide the best quality of distribution for Virtue's Last Reward the estimated release dates are as follows:

UK and France release - 23rd November 2012

Australia to follow shortly after UK release

Germany and Italy release - 13th January 2013

http://www.risingstargames.com/game.aspx?sku=virtues-last-reward-3ds

Of course, they're only the estimated release dates. The bugs may delay it further.

Lusankya

I compiled some of the funnier quotes of the game (no spoilers) I found on other forums or while playing it myself:

Clover: "You did it Sigma! You sown your seed!"

Sigma: "Better turn on the lights before I get out my balls."

Sigma to Phi: "If you're a C-cup then I'm packin' twelve inches!"

Tenmyouji(?): "The last guy I fought went home in an ambulance!"
Sigma(?): "Guess you shouldn't have picked a fight with a paramedic."

Luna: "This one is white. White always makes me think of wedding dresses. I'd like to wear one someday..."
Sigma: "THAT MEANS YOU'RE SINGLE, RIGHT?!"
Luna: "Y-Y-Your face is s-scaring me..."

Luna: "What a powerful shade of red... It feels so... passionate. Maybe this would be good for trying to woo a girl..."
Sigma: "Wanna try some, Luna?"
Phi: "Hey! I see what you're trying to do!"

Luna: "There are a lot of bottles here."
Sigma: "How'd you like to have a drink with me?"
Luna: "Huh? O-oh, um..."
*WHACK*
Phi: "You really think this is a good time to be making a pass at someone? She's getting all nervous now."
Luna: "Ahahahahaha..."

Clover: "The top is a lot more narrow than I thought..."
Luna: "Should I go?"
Clover: "Well, with a big skirt like that it might get kind of dangerous..."
Luna: "Oh. If I just hike it up, I think I should be-"
Clover: "And, uh, I think there's somebody down on all fours, trying to not look like he's staring up toward the bookshelf..."
Luna: "S-Sigma...?"
Clover: "What are you doing?"
Sigma: "I, uh... lost a contact..."
Clover: "You don't wear any!"
*WHACK*
Sigma: "Ow!"
Clover: "You climb."
Sigma: "Okay..."

Sigma: "I just solved the s*** out of that puzzle."

Clover: "Then stick it in already!"

Dio: "Well, it's got a lever on it."
Clover: "Don't get too attached, it's probably a leaver!"
Dio: "... ..."
Sigma: "... ... Are you serious?"
Clover: "Yeah, pretty good, huh? Am I great or what? Huh? Huh?"
Dio: "... ..."
Sigma: "... ..."
Dio: "Hey, Sigma, is this chick...simple or something?"

Clover: "*Sniff* Lord Hoppington...why? You left us too soooooon!"
Dio: "Shut up!!"

*Looking at an image of billiard balls*
Sigma: "What's this supposed to be a picture of?"
Alice: "They're those balls from that kid's show, right? If you collect seven of them you get a wish."

Phi: "'Planet' Alcohol? That's a pretty weird name. *Drool* But with our power combined..."

Zero III: "No, I won't wait. I don't like waiting. I waited once, and some half-witted reptile got the better of me because of it. After that I learned to make sure to value my time."

Please add more (spoiler free) funny quotes as soon as you find them. :)

ULTROS!

I compiled some of the funnier quotes of the game (no spoilers) I found on other forums or while playing it myself:

Please add more (spoiler free) funny quotes as soon as you find them. :)

Here's my favorite:

Sigma: "Clover, try pulling the lever."
Clover: "Why do I have to do it?"
Sigma: "It might be dangerous."
Sigma: "I was hoping you could just wrap your hands around it and give it a good jerk. It is kinda big, but I'm sure you can handle it. Just… Be gentle."
Clover: "Uh… This doesn't seem like appropriate workplace behavior."
Clover: "You're kinda grossing me out."
Sigma: "I know you probably still think yourself as just a girl, but you have to become a woman some-"
Clover: "You're not making it any better!"
Clover: "Why don't you do it?"
Sigma: "If you can't take it, then maybe Luna can. Have you done this before? You just start at the base and work your way up, then give it a good tug once you get to the top."
Luna: "… Wh-What?"
Clover: "What is wrong with you?! If you're so desperate to give that lever a good time why don't you do it yourself!"
Clover: "Just leave me and Luna out of your sick fantasies, you creep!"
Sigma: "…"
Sigma: "Hmph. Fine, but I won't like it."

Omikaru

Two Vita games arrived for me this morning.

A6dEAPuCYAAYSt3.jpg

It took a week for Virtue's Last Reward to arrive from VG+ in Canada. Gonna play the shit out of it now. :D

TheExodu5

Banned
Got my first ending:

Dio's ending. It ended...unexpectedly. I'm intrigued by the fact that Phi seems to be aware of the different timelines, but am confused as to why it ended where it did. Dio was about to show me what happened to the world and the credits just started rolling.

A bit of intrigue, but a tad underwhelming for a first ending.

Toki767

Got my first ending:

Dio's ending. It ended...unexpectedly. I'm intrigued by the fact that Phi seems to be aware of the different timelines, but am confused as to why it ended where it did. Dio was about to show me what happened to the world and the credits just started rolling.

A bit of intrigue, but a tad underwhelming for a first ending.

Well if you knew that, it'd spoil the real ending.

Oh man... Luna's ending. When
Morphogenetic Sorrow kicked in
I just couldn't deal with it.

I probably would've been in tears if that scene was actually animated.

Venfayth

Oh man... Luna's ending. When
Morphogenetic Sorrow kicked in
I just couldn't deal with it.

Yeah... It got kinda awkward, but at the same time it was really touching. I was very happy at how the game turns out if you betray her. Makes you feel shitty for not trusting her :p

Oh man, just got past my first lock! (Number 2)
I'm pretty sure this is the way to Tenmyouji's ending, but what I'm not getting is how they're gonna explain how Sigma knew about the journal in the other path... It's really weird. Morphic fields again?

Then there's the matter of this tape and the Radical-6 virus. Did it really wipe out the human race? I'm assuming so from the "Six Billion" killed but-

Dafuq is going on? o_O Ah well, let's just see where this path goes! SO EXCITED!

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Alice route spoilers: Oh fuck you
PHI YOU LITTLE

Shit just got meta, but it's easy to see where and how
The Schrodinger's Cat
thing is playing out.

Mzo

This is way better than I was even expecting so far! I'm starting to get an idea about what's going on now, and man!

So good.

So they just arbitrarily end it because I haven't explored the other endings yet? I can't say I like that at all. At least 999 had definitive endings.

But the best part is when you pass the story locks. I just passed my first one and woah... It's awesome to see puzzle pieces fall into place.

Saggy

Has anyone been able to find this in stores in Canada yet? Everywhere I look they're either "sold out" or haven't gotten any copies shipped to them :/ I'm on Vita btw, so I'd get it on PSN but lack a credit card.

Venfayth

So they just arbitrarily end it because I haven't explored the other endings yet? I can't say I like that at all. At least 999 had definitive endings.

This is spoilery in the context of how the game works, but doesn't reveal much about the actual story:

There are multiple endings, but none of them work well on their own. The whole game is about the one true ending and the journey you take to arrive there.

Top Bottom