• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward |OT| -- More Hours, More Persons, More Doors

Mupod

So they just arbitrarily end it because I haven't explored the other endings yet? I can't say I like that at all. At least 999 had definitive endings.

I actually love the way they handled it, combined with the ability to jump around on the flowchart it's an interesting spin on how VNs have traditionally worked. But in this specific case, knowing the true motivations of a character lessens some of the suspense and mystery in the other routes. As an example (which has no basis in this game or 999, just a hypothetical situation) if you found out X character was Zero in your first playthrough, you'd know not to trust anything they say in all subsequent paths. Locking the revelations behind gates keeps you guessing longer.

Mupod

So I'm just gonna throw out my speculation so far - I've only finished Tenmyoji's ending so I don't know too much, it's mostly just my own imagination. There's still tons of spoilers in here, so don't look if you haven't finished yet. I'm just posting it so people who HAVE finished it (and myself in the future) can laugh at me for being so wrong.

Seriously don't click this if you're still playing through. I have no idea how right or wrong I am so there might actually be major spoilers in here.

They're probably on Mars. Also takes place probably 40-ish years after 999, Sigma and some others were kept in cryostasis since their kidnapping.

K's dad is Zero, and his goal with the Nonary Game is to use some kind of fourth dimensonal time fuckery to save the world from the pandemic by giving the formula for Axelavir to his past self. I have no idea how this applies, but based on the author's past works I just feel like that's what it's leading to. I feel like the G-OLM's statements about keeping the 'software' on a server and controlling the 'hardware' remotely will end up being very important here as well.

Tenmyoji is Junpei, and the murdered old lady is Akane. I bet Zero is Santa.

Dio is a Myrmidon, maybe? Actually kinda questioning this one now since Clover and Alice were investigating that group before they were captured, and they might not still be around. I'm pretty sure he was ordered to kill the old lady by them.

Not really speculation but man I'm just waiting for the bomb to get dropped about Luna. I think I'd be MORE surprised if I found out she actually WAS as innocent as she looks, but I'm expecting some crazy shit like finding out she created Radical-6.

Ok so major spoilers, do not read unless you've done all the routes:

I have the key to the gate from K's ending, but I still don't have the username. I only have a few routes left. When do I get the username? Will it be obvious that it is the username?

Toki767

Ok so major spoilers, do not read unless you've done all the routes:

I have the key to the gate from K's ending, but I still don't have the username. I only have a few routes left. When do I get the username? Will it be obvious that it is the username?

It'll definitely be obvious.
It's one of the right most story branches.

Phi betrays Sigma, because he betrayed her in the other path. If you haven't chose betray you don't know exactly why Phi is so mad at you. Oh yeah, better not fuck with Phi!

I'm like... 95% certain that isn't in the Alice route. I know because that just happened to me and I certainly was not replaying the Alice route.

Lusankya

I'm like... 95% certain that isn't in the Alice route. I know because that just happened to me and I certainly was not replaying the Alice route.

It's on Alice's route. Right after the control room you visited with Luna and Phi.
That's the only time Sigma is ever paired against Phi

It's on Alice's route. Right after the control room you visited with Luna and Phi.

And I'm telling you that isn't Alice's route. I just checked my DS to confirm. You don't go into the control room at any point on Alice's route. I finished Alice's route yesterday, and did the Control Room for the first time today on another route.

Wii Tank

And I'm telling you that isn't Alice's route. I just checked my DS to confirm. You don't go into the control room at any point on Alice's route. I finished Alice's route yesterday, and did the Control Room for the first time today on another route.

I can confirm that. It's close to Alice's branch but you branch off it into another path

Lusankya

And I'm telling you that isn't Alice's route. I just checked my DS to confirm. You don't go into the control room at any point on Alice's route.

Of course you do.
You are paired with Luna in the second round and you go into the control room when you chose Phi as solo.

Of course you do.
You are paired with Luna in the second round and you go into the control room when you chose Phi as solo.

Please check your DS. Wii Tank has also confirmed the absence of the Control Room on Alice's Route.

I'm more inclined to believe my DS screen and eyes (and Wii Tank's) are working properly, and that your memory is faulty.

Or are you claiming both Wii Tank and I are suffering from some neurological disorder that fucks with our sight, or that our DS screens are scrambling the appearance of the routes?

Lusankya

Please check your DS. Wii Tank has also confirmed the absence of the Control Room on Alice's Route.

I'm more inclined to believe my DS screen and eyes (and Wii Tank's) are working properly, and that your memory is faulty.

Alice's route = the complete right third of the flow chart. Everything that happens after you choose Alice as solo oppononent in the first round is called "Alice's route".
You mean the one single branch that lead's to Alice's End.

Alice's route = the complete right third of the flow chart. Everything that happens after you choose Alice as solo oppononent in the first round is called "Alice's route".
You mean the one single branch that lead's to Alice's End.

Disagreed. But thanks for clarifying what you meant. I'll assume Regulus Tera meant that.

Lusankya

Disagreed. But thanks for clarifying what you meant. I'll assume Regulus Tera meant that.

Usually the three main routes are called Luna's, Tenmyouji's and Alice's routes, because people don't really remember the color of the door but rather the solo opponent they chose.

To be more precise "X's route" usually means everything after you chose X as solo opponent and before the branching into the various bad and character ends start (during the round 2 AB game).
That's because the parts after the 2nd set of escape rooms are usually pretty much identical to each other in the same main route

So what Regulus Tera meant was actually
just between Alice's path and Phi's ending, but maybe he doesn't know that this branch will turn out to be Phi's ending yet

Venfayth

Spoilers regarding the rightmost path being discussed above, and a lot of the later game :p (pretty major stuff here)

Interacting with Phi, acknowledging that both of you can "jump", and that general part of the storyline is SO fucking cool. I was constantly getting chills down my back every time I opened a lock. Putting the pieces together and making the connections is so fantastic.

Toki767

There is one really interesting part which I don't know why it wasn't one of the endings. Kind of a big spoiler.

Luna tells you that wrapping aluminum foil around the watches can deactivate them in her ending, so why doesn't Sigma use that knowledge in one of the other paths?

Venfayth

There is one really interesting part which I don't know why it wasn't one of the endings. Kind of a big spoiler.

Luna tells you that wrapping aluminum foil around the watches can deactivate them in her ending, so why doesn't Sigma use that knowledge in one of the other paths?

Yeah. I wondered that, also. I'm assuming because by the time you've gotten that far (Luna's end is 2nd to last) you no longer require that knowledge in any of the other paths. You could have altered history further, but ultimately the Nonary Game's goal was accomplished already.

I'm sure it's been discussed to death, but that's a lot of pages to dig through, so I'll just ask: Does the game work well enough on Vita if you use a capacitive "stylus," or is the precision of the 3DS's resistive screen better to the point of considering it the superior version?

Tempted to go Vita for the trophies, as 999 was the kind of game that'd be perfect for that, but I also can't quite imagine playing 999 on a Vita.

Toki767

I'm sure it's been discussed to death, but that's a lot of pages to dig through, so I'll just ask: Does the game work well enough on Vita if you use a capacitive "stylus," or is the precision of the 3DS's resistive screen better to the point of considering it the superior version?

Tempted to go Vita for the trophies, as 999 was the kind of game that'd be perfect for trophies, but I also can't quite imagine playing 999 on a Vita.

I used my fingers and it worked perfectly fine. If you want more accuracy you can use the analog sticks, but I didn't have any trouble. The Vita version is definitely superior for having nicer visuals and no save game bug.

TheExodu5

Banned

Tempted to go Vita for the trophies, as 999 was the kind of game that'd be perfect for that, but I also can't quite imagine playing 999 on a Vita.

I feel the controls are a little sluggish, but I have a feeling the 3DS won't do anything to remedy that. Otherwise, I have no issues just using my thumb.

corn_fest

So what ended up being the deal with text being cut off in some of the files for the 3DS version? Was that really an issue? Also, has there been any statement from Aksys regarding the save corruption / crashing?

LiK

Pressing with Vita feels good. Only annoying thing is Memo is useless without a stylus. I still used it but it wasn't pretty. pen and paper in the end for more complex calculations.

Cool. Thanks guys. Might take the plunge on the Vita version once I'm done with my double dose of 'Ass. (Superior sound sounds nice, too)

Also glad to hear that the game might require a bit more note-takin' than the first game did. I'm only halfway through 999 (3/6 so far), and while it's great, I wish it was a bit tougher as I've so far only encountered a single puzzle that was actually puzzling.

Cool. Thanks guys. Might take the plunge on the Vita version once I'm done with my double dose of 'Ass. (Superior sound sounds nice, too)

Also glad to hear that the game might require a bit more note-takin' than the first game did. I'm only halfway through 999 (3/6 so far), and while it's great, I wish it was a bit tougher as I've so far only encountered a single puzzle that was actually puzzling.

VLR definitely has tougher puzzles, especially since on the Hard difficulty your companions don't tell you exactly how to solve everything.

Eusis

Pressing with Vita feels good. Only annoying thing is Memo is useless without a stylus. I still used it but it wasn't pretty. pen and paper in the end for more complex calculations.
We DID see a good capactive stylus drawing of Clover in the memo though, so I'm guessing a capacitive stylus will definitely do the job. Failing that, it at least offers a bigger space than the 3DS XL owing to being wider, the OG 3DS isn't even worth bringing up in that regard.

EDIT: Why was I thinking Luna instead of Clover?

Lusankya

Some new quotes:

*In front of a face recognizer*
Machine: "Face not recognized. Gender mismatch."
Sigma: "What does it mean by "gender mismatch"?
Quark: "Maybe it's saying that it needs a girl?"
Tenmyouji: "But there's only three of us, and none of us are women."
Sigma: "Well... Maybe if we dress Quark up like a girl..."
Quark: "NO! NO WAY!"
Quark: "WHY DON'T YOU DRESS UP THEN?!"
Tenmyouji: "No. Just thinking about that is making me want to puke."
Quark: "Besides, do you see a wig or makeup or anything around here? How would any of us dress up like a woman anyway?"
Sigma: "Dude, you totally want to do it."
Quark: "N-No, I don't..."
Tenmyouji: "... ..."
Sigma: "... ..."

Sigma: "Clover-chan is hella moe!"

Phi: "*sigh* A baby, huh... I wish I had one..."
Sigma: "Wh-whoa, what're you talking about?"
Phi: "It's just... Looking at this thing made me think about babies. I mean, it is a picture of a baby."
Sigma: "You like kids?"
Phi: "Yeah, I guess so."
Sigma: "There some guy you're planning to make some with?"
Phi: "H-Hey! No there is not!"
Sigma: "I see... You wanna make one here, then?"
Phi: "Make one what?"
Sigma: "A baby."
*WHACK*
Sigma: "O-Ow..."
Phi: "You stay away from me, all right!? Don't even think about doing anything! If any part of you touches me, even by accident, I will break it off! We clear?!"
Sigma: "Y-Yeah, of course. I was just joking..."

Sigma: "Hey, check it out! It's the Nyoibou!"
Phi: "What the hell is the "Nyoibou"?"
Sigma: "You've never head of it? It's a magical rod that gets bigger or smaller depending on what its owner wants."
Phi: "A...rod that gets...bigger or smaller...?"
Sigma (narration): She's stumbling over her words. She never does that... Why is her face red? I guess she's just embarrassed she's never heard about a magical expanding rod before...

Phi: "Hey! What are you, a child?! Put a glass in there before you push the button!"
Luna: "She's right. If you don't, everything down there is going to get wet."
Sigma: "...Huh? Wait, what?"
Luna: "I said everything down there is going to get wet?"
Sigma: "..."
Sigma: "..."
Sigma: "...I approve."

Temoji ending is heartening.

Also is day hologram
ace?

It really is... Ugh... I just finished it and it was amazing! T~T

I'm guessing
Zero is Santa/Aoi Kurashiki. It makes sense, sort of... But then I'm really confused still. Why Akane's photo was the recognition key on the face reader. Was the room meant only for Tenmyouji?

And then there's that eyepatch that the holo-Zero has... At least, I think it's an eyepatch... So mysterious. >.>

Roto13

It really is... Ugh... I just finished it and it was amazing! T~T

I'm guessing
Zero is Santa/Aoi Kurashiki. It makes sense, sort of... But then I'm really confused still. Why Akane's photo was the recognition key on the face reader. Was the room meant only for Tenmyouji?

And then there's that eyepatch that the holo-Zero has... At least, I think it's an eyepatch... So mysterious. >.>

It's a bionic eye thing. Who do you know that has a bionic eye thing?

Hylian7

Got the Clover ending, as well as a few "Game Over" endings, theory time!

Holy fucking shit Alice was actually in the organization before shit went down in Building Q?! This makes me wonder if the whole "Egyptian Princess" thing was really just a myth. I'm kind of inclined to believe Alice was captured at some point and in building Q, hence where the rumor of an Egyptian princess being frozen in ice came from. After she seemed quite acquainted with the modern world, and she even knew how to hitchhike.

About those pods in the Treatment Center, who were the three pod people? There are a few possible answers to that, which lead me to my theory. They said the Cold Sleep theory would preserve someone in the state they were in. I think we are starting to get into wibbly wobbly timey wimey shit here. Let's say the pod people are Sigma, Alice, and Clover. This means that the rest of them were people from around the current time, which would possibly make my theory of Luna being Akane invalid, and also possibly K being Ace. However, that opens up a new theory: Tenmyoji. Who is Tenmyoji? Why does he trust Clover? The answer is that he must be someone we already know. They did say Junpei was still missing, but then later Clover didn't want to betray Tenmyoji because she now knows who he is: I think Tenmyoji may be Junpei. The other question is: Who does that make Quark? Is he really Tenmyoji's grandson? Who is Quark's grandmother? The old dead woman. The old dead woman may be Akane. She was obviously important to Tenmyoji, and on top of that, when they discovered her body, Sigma told Quark to get out of there, so he didn't get much time to react to it, even if Quark did actually meet her before.

I still sort of hold onto my theory of someone being a Gaulem, however that one is looking less and less likely. Another possibility of that would be Phi. The way she is able to jump freakishly high and have some superhuman strength might lend to that, but who knows.

With Sandy leaving the neighborhood in tatters, I broke this out last night. Only got through the first room so far, but it was fun. I was intent on getting the hidden files, so I spent about 10 more minutes in the room than I needed to. I assume you don't have to get those again on subsequent playthroughs?

Vibed

I'm almost disappointed Tenmyouji's ending was my first "real ending" (besides one other bad one) because right off the bat I knew
Tenmyouji is Junpei and only minutes later figure out the old woman is Akane. Plus, I knew what Zero looks like, therby ruling out any of the main cast as Zero (except for K at the time). It was even possible for me to deduce at that point that the world outside the facility is a wasteland.

Top Bottom