• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward |OT| -- More Hours, More Persons, More Doors

Can you get all of the endings and whatnot if you choose easy mode? I'm telling a friend to play it and he said his main beef is that he doesn't feel like solving any puzzles and would rather enjoy the story as smoothly as possible this time around.

Omikaru

Can you get all of the endings and whatnot if you choose easy mode? I'm telling a friend to play it and he said his main beef is that he doesn't feel like solving any puzzles and would rather enjoy the story as smoothly as possible this time around.

Tell him to play on Hard with a walkthrough, then. You don't get the full thing on Easy, but I'm not 100% sure where it cuts off on Easy, since I beat it all on Hard in one go.

Tell him to play on Hard with a walkthrough, then. You don't get the full thing on Easy, but I'm not 100% sure where it cuts off on Easy, since I beat it all on Hard in one go.

I'll see if that works for him. Not getting the full story would be pointless for this sort of game. In the mean time, I'm going to break my brain and get back to grinding this out.

Shtof

Been playing the demo on my Vita for a while, really great and exciting game. It's on the EU PSN by the way, for the OP.

What's the pricing on this game in the US? I really want to pick it up, probably the most exciting demo I've played this year. And I usually don't like puzzle games, let alone anime style.

RetroMG

Well, and you still have to solve the puzzles on Easy mode. The other characters just give you more help. So he'd might as well do it on Hard, using a walkthrough. I've been using one on Gamefaqs, (Because I feel the same way, to be honest,) and in many cases it's just "put in these two or three passwords to get the Escape and File Passwords."

Been playing the demo on my Vita for a while, really great and exciting game. It's on the EU PSN by the way, for the OP.

What's the pricing on this game in the US? I really want to pick it up, probably the most exciting demo I've played this year. And I usually don't like puzzle games, let alone anime style.

Have you played 999, the original? If not.....I STRONGLY advise you to play it before starting Virtue’s Last Reward. Trust me!

Omikaru

Videogamesplus.ca do it for CA$40 (about £25), with £5 shipping to the UK. I think the UK version's RRP is about £24.99, but won't contain the English voice track (which is definitely worth it, imo). Probably similar shipping prices for mainland Europe, but I don't know what that is in Euros.

Also, give 999 a go if you can. I don't think it's essential, like many other people do, but it's a good game and adds a lot to VLR. Some bits which would otherwise by "HOLY SHIT" are just "eh, okay" without playing it.

jiggles

Banned
Some questions about the extreme left path:

Did it *grow*? I don't remember it being the longest one the last few times I looked.

Also, I got a To Be Continued in the Director's Office login screen, but there's no "lock" on the tree. Am I supposed to already know the username and password?

Everything felt a bit... True Ending-ish right before then (lots of cross-timeline flashbacks and white lights of realisation for Sigma), and given that it's only the second branch I've tried, I really don't want to continue on it if that's the case. So should I move elsewhere or keep at this on?

Omikaru

Some questions about the extreme left path:

Did it *grow*? I don't remember it being the longest one the last few times I looked.

Also, I got a To Be Continued in the Director's Office login screen, but there's no "lock" on the tree. Am I supposed to already know the username and password?

Everything felt a bit... True Ending-ish right before then (lots of cross-timeline flashbacks and white lights of realisation for Sigma), and given that it's only the second branch I've tried, I really don't want to continue on it if that's the case. So should I move elsewhere or keep at this on?
You shouldn't know it yet. Come back to it in the later half of the game.

qcf x2

I'm stuck on the
second hexagon puzzle in the Security Room. I got the first one on my first try, but I've spent about 30 minutes on this one, and I quit. Oh, look at the pattern on the wall! No shit, I know I have to invert the colors. There's no way to skip puzzles?

I've tried searching for a Youtube walkthrough for this one to no avail.

I really don't like the puzzles in this game. The very first one was terrible, unintuitive and not fun and so is this one.

Lusankya

I'm stuck on the
second hexagon puzzle in the Security Room. I got the first one on my first try, but I've spent about 30 minutes on this one, and I quit. Oh, look at the pattern on the wall! No shit, I know I have to invert the colors. There's no way to skip puzzles?

I've tried searching for a Youtube walkthrough for this one to no avail.

Solution for both:

"We want to change all the
hexagons to green and triangles to red. Touch the four hexagons that
aren't in the far corners."

hexagons to red and triangles to green. Touch the two triangles in the
middle column, then the two hexagons in the middle row."

I really don't like the puzzles in this game. The very first one was terrible, unintuitive and not fun and so is this one.

I thought they were very good. Why do you think they're "unintuitive"?

I just finished the
bartender puzzle
, and the solution makes absolutely no sense. According to the note,
the father sits in the center, with the wife on his left and the son his right
. After googling the puzzle for a bit I found that a lot of people had difficulty solving this puzzle. I get that you were supposed to shift perspectives to see the right answer, but that's exactly why the correct answer doesn't seem to make much sense.

First off,
the son is lying
, I understand that much is true because that seems to be the conclusion everyone else reached. If that is the case, then
everything the father and mother said should be true as well. If they are telling the truth, then how the heck does green end on being the color sitting to the father's left and how does the father's favorite color end up blue when he said it was white?!
Am I the only one who saw this a major contradiction? What am I missing here?

Lusankya

I just finished the
bartender puzzle
, and the solution makes absolutely no sense. According to the note,
the father sits in the center, with the wife on his left and the son his right
. After googling the puzzle for a bit I found that a lot of people had difficulty solving this puzzle. I get that you were supposed to shift perspectives to see the right answer, but that's exactly why the correct answer doesn't seem to make much sense.

First off,
the son is lying
, I understand that much is true because that seems to be the conclusion everyone else reached. If that is the case, then
everything the father and mother said should be true as well. If they are telling the truth, then how the heck does green end on being the color sitting to the father's left and how does the father's favorite color end up blue when he said it was white?!
Am I the only one who saw this a major contradiction? What am I missing here?

It does make a lot of sense.
There are two combinations, one for the escape key and one for the file key. Also the file says "on the left" and "on the right" and NOT "on his left" or "on his right".

This game is so good. I've gone through a number of paths now.
Having to go back because I don't know a password related to the nineth lion. I have a feeling that is going to be one of the last paths I go back to.
Two locked paths because I don't have the solution to save some lives.
K's bad ending.

I really love how it is all connecting. Choosing one path you find a dead old women, and on another path you find bombs instead.
In one AB round, picking ally and getting betrayed, but going back and choosing betray they choose ally instead. Sigma having the knowledge of the other choose in his head and talking about it.
I guess Radical-6 is going to be this games ice-9.
That gaulem bay is really suspicious too, especially since I'm only found one combination that leads one of the groups to it. I feel like that room was trying to imply that
some, or all, of the player might not be human and gaulems instead.
There is also the treatment pods stasis and difference in kidnapping date to consider.

I just can't stop playing this. I need to find out the whole truth.

qcf x2

Solution for both:

hexagons to red and triangles to green. Touch the two triangles in the
middle column, then the two hexagons in the middle row."

I thought they were very good. Why do you think they're "unintuitive"?

:-o

Thanks a million! As for being unintuitive, that was mainly the very first puzzle. Things slid when I didn't move the Vita and moved along one axis when I manipulated another. It seemed like it was rushed to make use of the Vita's motion capabilities, and while I don't recall how I passed it, I think it was just luck. Hopefully there are no other motion puzzles.

Venfayth

Yup, RPG_Fanatic, this game is all about making those connections.

I wish other games intellectually respected the player as much as this game does.

Lusankya

:-o

Thanks a million! As for being unintuitive, that was mainly the very first puzzle. Things slid when I didn't move the Vita and moved along one axis when I manipulated another. It seemed like it was rushed to make use of the Vita's motion capabilities, and while I don't recall how I passed it, I think it was just luck. Hopefully there are no other motion puzzles.

Ah, I see. Did you know that you can also control it with the dpad? :)
I guess it's much easier that way.

Finally found a Vita copy on eBay with the watch and international shipping for less than triple the retail price so I jumped in.

So is there any general consensus yet on which order your should obtain each ending for the most suspense, such as with 999?

Torraz

Wasn't there something about not being able to do routes from the very beginning to the very end, as it might be necessary to complete some other scenes, on other routes, first? I think I am pretty near one ending and I have played this one route without any break so far!

Also seconding the question above: any recommended approach to the order one tackles the paths in?

Omikaru

Finally found a Vita copy on eBay with the watch and international shipping for less than triple the retail price so I jumped in.

So is there any general consensus yet on which order your should obtain each ending for the most suspense, such as with 999?

Wasn't there something about not being able to do routes from the very beginning to the very end, as it might be necessary to complete some other scenes, on other routes, first? I think I am pretty near one ending and I have played this one route without any break so far!

Also seconding the question above: any recommended approach to the order one tackles the paths in?

No recommendation. The game feeds you knowledge in stages, and will put blocks in place if it doesn't want you to know something just yet. My advice is just to play up until any lock, and then move on to another fork in the flow chart.

I don't think there's any specific order that you should do them, to be honest. Personally, I went down the left path, then the right path, and then the middle. After that, I went back and completed all the locked story paths that had turned from black to green, and eventually everything was unlocked and revealed. I didn't find it disjointed or unnatural in any way, and didn't wish I'd found something out sooner or later or in any specific order.

No recommendation. The game feeds you knowledge in stages, and will put blocks in place if it doesn't want you to know something just yet. My advice is just to play up until any lock, and then move on to another fork in the flow chart.

I don't think there's any specific order that you should do them, to be honest. Personally, I went down the left path, then the right path, and then the middle. After that, I went back and completed all the locked story paths that had turned from black to green, and eventually everything was unlocked and revealed. I didn't find it disjointed or unnatural in any way, and didn't wish I'd found something out sooner or later or in any specific order.

I haven't completed the game but to add on to this. There's a very strong story explaination for all this as well that is explained. Once I had that dialogue, the game mechanics just took a whole new light in a crazy way. The way that everything feeds into eachother in all parts is something else.

Shtof

Have you played 999, the original? If not.....I STRONGLY advise you to play it before starting Virtue’s Last Reward. Trust me!

It's only for DS, right? Traded in my DS for when I bought the Vita, and I don't own a 3DS and don't want one either, handhelds are only for bed-gaming.

I can enjoy the story of this one without playing the prequel, right?

Venfayth

Very minor spoilers regarding how the game generally plays out:

I did the left, then right, then middle. Leftmost first, then rightmost. This basically led to me hitting TONS of TBC's before I was able to get more than one ending, and at that point they all basically domino'd into me getting all the endings. It took a very long time without getting endings, but I think I appreciate the game more for it.

Torraz

Very minor spoilers regarding how the game generally plays out:

I did the left, then right, then middle. Leftmost first, then rightmost. This basically led to me hitting TONS of TBC's before I was able to get more than one ending, and at that point they all basically domino'd into me getting all the endings. It took a very long time without getting endings, but I think I appreciate the game more for it.

Thank you.

What I did spoilers (minor)
I went middle --> ally and am at the events before the second AB game. I can smell two ending probabilities coming up very very shortly

possible ending speculation spoiliers (greater spoilers)
If I don't sacrifice sigma so that dio gives back teh medicine, I can see mr. oldtimer go berserk and kll everyone. If i do "ally" I think dio is going to "betray", also resulting in an ending

That said, thanks. I am going to see if I can get an ending in this way, or if I get a lock, just before an ending. Regardless, after that I am going to follow your description, I think.

Tmdean

Banned

You have to beat all the puzzles on hard mode to (minor spoiler)
get a special epilogue
, but you can "solve" the puzzle in hard mode after solving it on easy just by going back to the puzzle on the flowchart and putting in the password to the safe again.

Ridley327

It's only for DS, right? Traded in my DS for when I bought the Vita, and I don't own a 3DS and don't want one either, handhelds are only for bed-gaming.

I can enjoy the story of this one without playing the prequel, right?

Without saying why, playing 999 greatly enriches the story in this game.

Plus, 999 is a great game on its own accord.

Quarks ending was a revelation to sa the least. also makes no sense and leads me to believe who temoji really is.

which also makes no sense.

unless they are someones parents aor something

It does make a lot of sense.
There are two combinations, one for the escape key and one for the file key. Also the file says "on the left" and "on the right" and NOT "on his left" or "on his right".

Whether the file says "on the left/right" or on "his left/right" matters not since the father is clearly stated to be in the center.
Given that blue is the center color and green/red are on the left and right both the father and mother must be lying. Everyone points to the wording of the puzzle and how you're supposed to see it from the bartender's perspective, but no matter which perspective you see it from blue should be on the left or right, NOT in the center. The father said that the son has always loved Ocean. The mother said that the son has always loved blue. Neither of these factor into the solution that unlocks the safe with the keycard! I'm very curious as to how this makes a lot of sense to you.

On the other hand, the file key solution does fit with the bartender's story.

Whether the file says "on the left/right" or on "his left/right" matters not since the father is clearly stated to be in the center.
Given that blue is the center color and green/red are on the left and right both the father and mother must be lying. Everyone points to the wording of the puzzle and how you're supposed to see it from the bartender's perspective, but no matter which perspective you see it from blue should be on the left or right, NOT in the center. The father said that the son has always loved Ocean. The mother said that the son has always loved blue. Neither of these factor into the solution that unlocks the safe with the keycard! I'm very curious as to how this makes a lot of sense to you.

On the other hand, the file key solution does fit with the bartender's story.

I think you're cross-contaminating solutions? The Gold File solution doesn't contain any green. The bartender's story is the Gold File solution, full stop. All the other information in the room pertains to the main solution - the way the hands orient on the clock (Green Sun), the words displayed on the globe when illuminated (Blue Planet), and the black letters on the wall spotlit by the globe (Red Moon).

edit:
Also, for the gold file solution, blue is -not- the center color. The diary states that there's only one liar. Since the son's information contradicts both the mother and father, the son must be the liar.

Torraz

Hope going through one path in the
middle
route first wasn't a mistake. Now, after a to be continued, i started all the way in the beginning and moved
left
. The gold file hints I am receiving here seem a lot more basic / unimportant than the one I received on the other route.

That might explain why there was some complaining that the beginning was boring, while my first few hours were also exciting.

---

One minor complaint I have is how the flowchart shows everything. I liked Radiant Historia's more because it slowly grew, and the player didn't know the total number of steps in a story branch, except for a total counter.

Ridley327

middle
route first wasn't a mistake. Now, after a to be continued, i started all the way in the beginning and moved
left
. The gold file hints I am receiving here seem a lot more basic / unimportant than the one I received on the other route.

That might explain why there was some complaining that the beginning was boring, while my first few hours were also exciting.

---

One minor complaint I have is how the flowchart shows everything. I liked Radiant Historia's more because it slowly grew, and the player didn't know the total number of steps in a story branch, except for a total counter.

I don't know why people keep saying this; it's patently untrue, for reasons you'll come to discover.

kiryogi

Banned
middle
left

---

lolol flowchart means nothing.

AniHawk

I JUST SOLVED THE SHIT OUT OF THIS PUZZLE

so many times in this game when sigma said EXACTLY WHAT I WAS THINKING

don't worry about the flow chart. it's nothing like radiant historia's shitty version of time travel (where there are only two boring realities and nothing else).

jiggles

Banned
Can someone give me a non-spoiler hint as to what I'm missing trying to get the gold file in the infirmary?

I already have the green code, and I know I have to put in a different PIN into the three medicine key lock thing to open the left drawer and get another hint at what other word to spell with the ADAM machine, but I can't see anything that would hint at what the other 3-digit code is. I tried putting in the numbers from the "colourful note", but nothing.

AniHawk

Can someone give me a non-spoiler hint as to what I'm missing trying to get the gold file in the infirmary?

I already have the green code, and I know I have to put in a different PIN into the three medicine key lock thing to open the left drawer and get another hint at what other word to spell with the ADAM machine, but I can't see anything that would hint at what the other 3-digit code is. I tried putting in the numbers from the "colourful note", but nothing.

this one is kind of a really obscure thing involving the back of something.

Kazerei

Banned

Compare the fabric to the medicine case, and come up with a different three-number password for the lock on that drawer.

There is still no text speed option? What the hell! This makes the auto-play option worthless since Sigma's text seems to be tuned for a five-year-old reader.

Torraz

I don't know why people keep saying this; it's patently untrue, for reasons you'll come to discover.

yep I found out the hard way

lolol flowchart means nothing.

Good to hear. Still only at around 6 hours /played.

Still I'm pretty sure that that chart spoiled that moment (late-route spoiler)
when Sigma gets injected with the sleep medicine from his bracelet hitting -1 due to tenjyo and dio betrayals. The chart showing two more boxes indicated that he will, probably, somehow survive. I think there were even hints, on that route, with regard to some medicine that could stop the effects of that suffocation drug. Of course I could be totally wrong because I got a to be continued and went into an entirely different path!

There is still no text speed option? What the hell! This makes the auto-play option worthless since Sigma's text seems to be tuned for a five-year-old reader.

Another minor complaint. The auto-text option seems a bit uneven. Sometimes the text will jump within a split second of an entire sentence being displayed. Other times it will wait for what seems like 2-3 seconds before proceeding. Still, I prefer it to mashing my x button into oblivion.

:edit: Lol, just got the gold file before the normal password for once. That was a pleasant surprise. Haven't been forced to do any save-scumming yet.

Top Bottom