• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward |OT| -- More Hours, More Persons, More Doors

Jintor

No, that's the final "ending".

Old Akane talking to whoever is in Kyle's body and telling him/her that only they can save the earth.

Oh good. Now to poke through the Secret Files.

Haha, they have an entry for EU

I can finally join my brethren in looking through spoiler tags and laughing at the people who haven't finished the game yet!

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Maybe the rest of the endings will change my opinion but so far, 30 hours in on the current run, with one more face icon left to unlock on the save, I am still in the opinion that 999 is better in atmosphere, story, and characters. The whole thing in that game feels more.... personal, than Zero Escape.

The only ending that 'got' me emotionally so far was
Luna's.
I am just a weaksauce with stuff like that.........................

Hmmm well I guess it's not fair to judge before I see it all though.

Are the setting/visuals of the first couple hours representative of the rest of the game? The ship in 999 was just more interesting to look at / exist in.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Are the setting/visuals of the first couple hours representative of the rest of the game? The ship in 999 was just more interesting to look at / exist in.

There has been a nice standout room but generally yeah, everything is pretty drab and grey. I am really liking VLR but I don't think the warehouse setting can touch the ship.

Jintor

Visually, yeah. There's only really one major difference area, and it's pretty cool, but you'll only run into it in like a half-dozen branches or so.

Tmdean

Banned
Visually, yeah. There's only really one major difference area, and it's pretty cool, but you'll only run into it in like a half-dozen branches or so.

I think you're forgetting one of the rooms. There are two rooms in the game that are big departures.
B. Garden, and Q. The Archives and the Security room are pretty different too.

Jintor

Only the B. room is significantly visually different to my mind.

I really do miss the handmade pixel backgrounds, sprites etc. They're so much more... vibrant, full of life.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
There's more.

tumblr_lyugkmIBwW1qjsfen.gif

But you have to finish all the rooms on hard.
The sprite work in the original game was so goooood. The 3D models in VLR are not bad, but they look so... sterile.

Omikaru

Hopefully sprites are back next time.

Ending spoiler:
The bit at the end with Akane and Sigma was so cool to see all sprited up. Especially Big Boss Sigma Terminator.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Hopefully sprites are back next time.

Ending spoiler:
The bit at the end with Akane and Sigma was so cool to see all sprited up. Especially Big Boss Sigma Terminator.
Nuclear Winter had the side effect of making them all look like ugly 3D. They were actually beautiful 2D hand-drawn peoplez before.

Or, the Moon is 3D, the Earth is 2D.

The sprite work in the original game was so goooood. The 3D models in VLR are not bad, but they look so... sterile.

I liked the 3D models more than I thought I would based on screenshots, but they still can't compare to the sprites from the original game.

I do hope that we see sprites again next game. 999's look was so good.

Jintor

bahaha

it's actually not that hard except for the fucking dice puzzle

if you're talking about the revelations though GOD DAMN MY BRAIN

Tagg9

I liked the 3D models more than I thought I would based on screenshots, but they still can't compare to the sprites from the original game.

I do hope that we see sprites again next game. 999's look was so good.

I actually prefer the 3D models, but I just wish that they animated more stuff. Instead, you're left staring at a prerendered image for several minutes at a time.

You have to be kidding me with this epilogue mission really?

edit: short cut for the win

also i have a crazy theroy for a while about sigma and phi that im think my play out.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I actually prefer the 3D models, but I just wish that they animated more stuff. Instead, you're left staring at a prerendered image for several minutes at a time.

Some more transitional stuff would have been nice. I really like the 3d for the portraits.

Jintor

I was slightly miffed there weren't any badass trailer 'teasers' like there were in 999 though. those were fucking baller.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
>_>

I should avoid this thread like a plague until I get to see all the endings it seems.

Even with only one portrait left to unlock in the save file this place is still a hazardous land to traverse..........

Roubjon

I've got a question about one of the timelines:

So I've entered the Director's Office with Phi and I'm at the point where I need to type in the Username and Password on the Computer. I've already gotten K's ending, so I think that would be the password for it, but I'm not sure what the Username is. I'm just unsure if I've found the username for it yet or not. Does the game make it fairly obvious what the Username is, just like it did for K's password? And if not, mind telling me what branch of the timeline it is found in?

Thanks.

GSR

I've got a question about one of the timelines:

So I've entered the Director's Office with Phi and I'm at the point where I need to type in the Username and Password on the Computer. I've already gotten K's ending, so I think that would be the password for it, but I'm not sure what the Username is. I'm just unsure if I've found the username for it yet or not. Does the game make it fairly obvious what the Username is, just like it did for K's password? And if not, mind telling me what branch of the timeline it is found in?

Thanks.

The game will make it pretty obvious when you get the ID, complete with the whole talk about "the two-headed lion devouring the sun" again.

Roubjon

The game will make it pretty obvious when you get the ID, complete with the whole talk about "the two-headed lion devouring the sun" again.

Alright, thanks.
It's just that Sigma said how he was sure he knew something about the password and username, but I'm sure he says that no matter how far you've gotten.

Ridley327

Alright, thanks.
It's just that Sigma said how he was sure he knew something about the password and username, but I'm sure he says that no matter how far you've gotten.

Try not to read too much into that comment right now. It'll make sense when the time comes for it to make sense.

mandiller

Quick question. This is the sequel to 999 on DS right? Is the DS game required or recommended to play before playing this game?

GSR

Quick question. This is the sequel to 999 on DS right? Is the DS game required or recommended to play before playing this game?

After finishing VLR I'd say it's not required to understand VLR's plot, but several parts of VLR will have much less impact without playing 999 first.

AniHawk

i'd say it's required to play first. some of the plot twists regarding certain characters are going to sound fucking crazy. 999 starts off in a place that's our reality, at least.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
VLR spoils the big spoilers of 999. You could play just VLR by itself, but you would be missing out on one of the best DS games ever.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
so hey, this has probably been asked a million times, but -- uh -- is this as, like, good as 999?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
so hey, this has probably been asked a million times, but -- uh -- is this as, like, good as 999?
The puzzles are better and the flowchart is a godsend. Narratively and character-wise, I think 999 had more interesting things going on.

That's Luna's ending down, now.

In the home stretch now.

That ending definitely packed a wallop, and also answered several questions. But I still am really curious about what exactly Akane and Zero were planning, and how K ties in with all of that.

Excited to see how everything ties up as I approach the final act of the game.

Top Bottom